Re: hp printer slowing to a stop 2

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the interest, replies as follows;
First of all a correction file size should read 8. megs not 80 as first
stated, just a wee typo.
1. Operating system:     Win XP Pro
2. Paging file settings ?: Where do I find them
3 Connections:              Usb 1
4 Failure to respond:      Job spools up and print confirmation box appears
and okay'd
then nothing happens, power button flashes, and icons appear in systray, no
paper feed or carriage action.
5. Spooler Queue:            On clicking on the printer icon in systray the
print queue shows the page as printing, in fact it is impossible to delete
the job without a reboot. neither work offline or paused are selected.
6. Small jobs:                Other jobs on normal settings work fine, even
larger files, this only seem to happen when best quality and gloss paper is
selected.
7. Test Page:                prints a test page fine and fast except when
tried after trying the gloss paper setting and the previous job is still in
the list.
8. Ink Carts:                Ink level seems fine.

Further Info:
I have a second printer an Hp 870cxi on the parallel port which prints great
without any problem on the same job which causes problems on the 1220c.,
from this I would deduce that the problem is printer specific.

I hope that this might be of help in your considerations and thanks again
for the interest.

David

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10248
> (using the button sequences for the  900 series printers, they are the
same).
> 8.  If no for [7] then open the lid.  The carriage will move to one of 5
> positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
> (unhappy face) or black or color low on ink.  Does the carriage move to
the
> happy face position?
>
> Regards,
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
tenchman (5)
7/31/2004 10:28:15 PM
comp.sys.hp.hardware 5412 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Having experience with the HP Color LaserJet 2500 connected with USB to
a Windows 2003 Server:

- Printer connected to server, no probs, bling! printer etc. detected,
installing, cdrom etc. test-page works.
- Shared.
- Connected from workstation (Win XP) to share: no probs, driver from
server, test-page works.
- Connected from other workstation (also Win XP) to share: no probs,
bladibla, test-page etc.

Now to actual operating conditions:
It seems that if one workstation has used the queue to the printer the
other is locked out or something like that. Unplug USB cable (either
end) and replug, other job comes out, first workstation locked out.

Having twiddled a bit with settings on server and workstation, I ran to
the local computer store, bought a IEEE-something parallel cable,
disconnected the USB cable, connected the parallel cable, bling! printer
detected etc., removed n-th copy of same printer, switched port in
printerdriver to LPT1 and _no_ queueing problems ever since.

Just my $0.02.

Alex.

tenchman wrote:

> [...]
>
> is not
>
>>set to "paused" or "work offline" in the setup.
>>6.  Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
>>7.  If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the
>
> toolbox or
>
>>a self test as shown at:
>>

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10248
>
>>(using the button sequences for the  900 series printers, they are the
>
> same).
>
>>8.  If no for [7] then open the lid.  The carriage will move to one of 5
>>positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
>>(unhappy face) or black or color low on ink.  Does the carriage move to
>
> the
>
>>happy face position?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

0
vandenzel (67)
8/1/2004 2:20:46 AM
I think the flashing power button indicates a problem, but check your
printer manual.  I assume you've opened the printer to check for a paper
jam?

Don

> [...]
> is not
> > set to "paused" or "work offline" in the setup.
> > 6.  Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
> > 7.  If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the
> toolbox or
> > a self test as shown at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10248
> > (using the button sequences for the  900 series printers, they are the
> same).
> > 8.  If no for [7] then open the lid.  The carriage will move to one of 5
> > positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color defective
> > (unhappy face) or black or color low on ink.  Does the carriage move to
> the
> > happy face position?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Hi Don
The fact that it works fine in the plain paper/normal mode discounts that,
it only happpens when using best quality or photopaper settings.

David

"Don" <nospam@please.gov> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > 6.  Will the printer work OK for small print jobs?
> > > 7.  If no for [6] above will the printer print a test page from the
> > toolbox or
> > > a self test as shown at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10248
> > > (using the button sequences for the  900 series printers, they are the
> > same).
> > > 8.  If no for [7] then open the lid.  The carriage will move to one of
5
> > > positions corresponding to all OK (happy face), black or color
defective
> > > (unhappy face) or black or color low on ink.  Does the carriage move
> > the
> > > happy face position?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

0
tenchman (5)
8/1/2004 7:58:19 PM
"tenchman" <tenchman@spamoff.ie> wrote in message

> Hi Bob,
> Thanks for the interest, replies as follows;
> First of all a correction file size should read 8. megs not 80 as first
> stated, just a wee typo.
> 1. Operating system:     Win XP Pro
> 2. Paging file settings ?: Where do I find them

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Settings -> Advanced ->
Virtual Memory Change and then check the settings.  WIth 1Gb of RAM this is
probably not going to be an issue.

> 3 Connections:              Usb 1

Is this really USB 1 or is it 1.1?  1.0 had some issues, may or not be related
to the problem you are seeing.  I suspect that a computer new enough to have a
1G processor is probably ver 1.1 or later...

> 4 Failure to respond:      Job spools up and print confirmation box appears
> and okay'd
> then nothing happens, power button flashes, and icons appear in systray, no
> paper feed or carriage action.
> 5. Spooler Queue:            On clicking on the printer icon in systray the
> print queue shows the page as printing, in fact it is impossible to delete
> the job without a reboot. neither work offline or paused are selected.
> 6. Small jobs:                Other jobs on normal settings work fine, even
> larger files, this only seem to happen when best quality and gloss paper is
> selected.
> 7. Test Page:                prints a test page fine and fast except when
> tried after trying the gloss paper setting and the previous job is still in
> the list.
> 8. Ink Carts:                Ink level seems fine.
>
> Further Info:
> I have a second printer an Hp 870cxi on the parallel port which prints great
> without any problem on the same job which causes problems on the 1220c.,
> from this I would deduce that the problem is printer specific.

Well, could be the printer, the driver or the communication.  I am suspecting a
communication problem here.  Printing in photo best mode generates relatively
huge files compared to plain paper normal or best modes.  The 870 does not have
nearly the data requirements of the 1220 due to the higher resolution on the
1220.

One thing to try would be to temporarily connect the 1220c via the parallel
port and see if the problem remains.  (You should be able to just change the
port in the printer properties.  You might also temporarily set the 870 to
point at FILE: or some other port just to keep any potential conflicts out of
the way.)  If this works then you might take a look at your USB chipset as
there are some chipsets that need driver updates.  See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpu01860&product=60096&dlc=en&lang=en

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0