using shared deskjet 720c (win 98 se) on another computer computer (win XP) but printer isn't in list of printers

Hello.  Is there another computer that could be selected from the list that
comes with Windows 87 Second Edition?  The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the list.
I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program
is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared
printer.  If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list.  The
closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c, etc.
Can I substitute a lower number?  How should I proceed?

Thanks!

Rich Hollenbeck

comp.sys.hp.hardware 5412 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Oops!  I know there is no Windows 87!  Doh! I meant to write 98.  Sorry.
The rest of the post should be okay.

"Richard Hollenbeck" <richard.hollenbeck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello.  Is there another computer that could be selected from the list
that
> comes with Windows 87 Second Edition?  The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the
list.
> I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program
> is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared
> printer.  If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list.  The
> closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c,
etc.
> Can I substitute a lower number?  How should I proceed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich Hollenbeck

Oooh, boy!  I recall Windows 87.  I think Micro$oft actually called it Windows
1.0.

Two possibilities:

1. Download and install the 720c driver from the HP web site.
2. Install a DeskJet 600 color driver instead.  Should work, because DeskJets
all use a variation of HP's Printer Control Language (PCL), and the older PCL is
upward compatible with most of the newer printers, including the 720c.
3. While you're at it, install the DeskJet 600 MONOCHROME driver, and use it
when you are printing black&white-only documents to not waste the color inks.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:19:14 GMT, "Richard Hollenbeck"
<richard.hollenbeck@verizon.net> wrote:

>Hello.  Is there another computer that could be selected from the list that
>comes with Windows 87 Second Edition?  The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the list.
>I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program
>is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared
>printer.  If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list.  The
>closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c, etc.
>Can I substitute a lower number?  How should I proceed?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rich Hollenbeck

0
ben_myers_spam_me_no
12/13/2004 11:17:49 PM
So HP says.  "Networked printing is not supported."  There have been many
postings on this newsgroup giving solutions for how to network the
non-networkable HP DeskJet printers... Ben Myers

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:30:26 -0600, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:

>Rich,
>
>According to the HP site, networked printing is not supported.
>
>Here is the manual, see page 51 of the pdf.
>http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd06723.pdf
>

>The 720C is a 'Winprinter' and does not use PCL.
>
>craigm
>

>"Richard Hollenbeck" <richard.hollenbeck@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hello.  Is there another computer that could be selected from the list
>that
>> comes with Windows 87 Second Edition?  The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the
>list.
>> I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program
>> is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared
>> printer.  If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list.  The
>> closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c,
>etc.
>> Can I substitute a lower number?  How should I proceed?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Rich Hollenbeck

0
ben_myers_spam_me_no
12/14/2004 1:07:41 AM
Rich,

According to the HP site, networked printing is not supported.

Here is the manual, see page 51 of the pdf.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd06723.pdf

The 720C is a 'Winprinter' and does not use PCL.

craigm

"Richard Hollenbeck" <richard.hollenbeck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello.  Is there another computer that could be selected from the list
that
> comes with Windows 87 Second Edition?  The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the
list.
> I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install program
> is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared
> printer.  If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list.  The
> closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c,
etc.
> Can I substitute a lower number?  How should I proceed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich Hollenbeck

0
none6762 (192)
12/14/2004 1:30:26 AM
Is this "top posting?"  Should my replies go at the bottom?

Before I converted my main Windows machine into a Linux machine, I
successfully networked that computer to this printer.  Now it doesn't work
because I haven't yet figured out how to network to that printer from Linux.
It was also on Windows 98 second edition.  Anyway, it was a long time ago
that I set that up and now I forgot how I did it.  Maybe I just got lucky.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the order the computers are connected
to the router.  I wonder if the printer host machine needs to be the first
machine on the network; it was last time but now my Linux machine is number
one as a local Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (L.A.M.P.) server.  I'd like to
eventually get that computer printing too, but that will be a little more
complicated.

Thanks to all while I'm still trying to connect the printer to my Windows 98
(not 87) machine. . .

Rich Hollenbeck

> So HP says.  "Networked printing is not supported."  There have been many
> postings on this newsgroup giving solutions for how to network the
> non-networkable HP DeskJet printers... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:30:26 -0600, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Rich,
> >
> >According to the HP site, networked printing is not supported.
> >
> >Here is the manual, see page 51 of the pdf.
> >http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpd06723.pdf
> >

> >The 720C is a 'Winprinter' and does not use PCL.
> >
> >craigm
> >

> >"Richard Hollenbeck" <richard.hollenbeck@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >> Hello.  Is there another computer that could be selected from the list
> >that
> >> comes with Windows 87 Second Edition?  The Deskjet 720 c isn't on the
> >list.
> >> I tried to install the software on win98se machine but the install
program
> >> is looking for an LPT port but I want to install it as a network shared
> >> printer.  If I use "Add Printer" it prompts me to select from a list.
The
> >> closest HP Deskjet on this list is 690c, 692c, 693c, 694c, 850c, 855c,
> >etc.
> >> Can I substitute a lower number?  How should I proceed?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Rich Hollenbeck

Computer won't allow Printer To Be Added... and dies when HP Network Printer Wizard Runss..
One of my WIN98SE networked printers won't add printers. Two other computers on the network nicely added the new printer with no problems. There is a DirectJet 500 printer server on the network which is functional For the troublesome computer, the Printer applet in Control Pannel and in My Computer just won't run. These run on the other networked computers. When I run HP Network Printer Setup Wizard, it dies or claims the printer isn't networked, on this particular computer. The wizard runs fine on the other networked computers. The network protocols active are TCP/IP and IPX. I have downloaded and reinstalled the latest version of the Wizard. -- ................................ Keepsake gift for young girls. Unique and personal one-of-a-kind. Builds strong minds 12 ways. Guaranteed satisfaction - courteous money back - keep bonus gifts http://www.alicebook.com ...

Windows 98 printer shares & vista Printer shares work only until the computers are turned off
I have an HP DeskJet 812C that has been hooked up to my Windows 98SE computer for MANY years and shared with Windows XP without incident. My Windows XP machine died a few months ago, and I replaced it with a computer running Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium. I also installed Windows XP Pro under Virtual PC on the Vista computer for those time when I need to log in to the company domain via VPN. I've had no problems with the share under the virtual machine, but every time I want to print with Windows Vista, I have to reinstall the printer. Visa reports the printer is "offl...

networking win 98 and win xp home computers
I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet connection. Conection is shared no problem. Now for the home networking part........... I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great Restart.... then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98 computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home network is greyed out........... On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer On the 98 compu...

networking win 98 and win xp home computers
I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet connection. Conection is shared no problem. Now for the home networking part........... I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great Restart.... then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98 computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home network is greyed out........... On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer On the 98 compu...

Win 98 can't access Win XP
Having few computers connected to the network. Auto-assign IP to every computer. No problem of seeing each others from the Network Neighborhood but all Win 98 computer can't access all Win XP Pro computer (Win XP computer has no problem accessing Win 98 computer). Error message appear like "Can not access this XXXX" Any suggestions? TIA. p/s Firewall has been disable in all the Win XP machine. -- WebWalker WebWalker wrote: > Having few computers connected to the network. > Auto-assign IP to every computer. > > No problem of seeing each others from the Network ...

Win 98 can't access Win XP
Having few computers connected to the network. Auto-assign IP to every computer. No problem of seeing each others from the Network Neighborhood but all Win 98 computer can't access all Win XP Pro computer (Win XP computer has no problem accessing Win 98 computer). Error message appear like "Can not access this XXXX" Any suggestions? TIA. p/s Firewall has been disable in all the Win XP machine. -- WebWalker WebWalker wrote: > Having few computers connected to the network. > Auto-assign IP to every computer. > > No problem of seeing each others from the Network ...

Can't see Win 98 from Win XP
I upgrade most of our Win 98 computers to XP on a pier-to-pier network. All the XP stations can see each other just fine. The Problem is that the XP stations can't see the shares on the 98 station but the 98 station can see the shares on the XP stations. What can be causing this? Alan ...

HP ScanJet C7670A LAN share works with Win 98, but not Win XP
Scanner connected via USB When scanner is connected to a Windows 98 PC, remote share works from Windows XP SP2 PCs. When scanner is connected to a Windows XP SP2 PC, remote share doesn't work from a Windows 98 PC, nor from another Windows XP SP2 PC. Tried different versions of HP PrecisionScan Pro from CD and from internet with no luck. Ggggggrrrrrrrrr .... !!!! "jack konecker" <jackkonecker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a6c471e6.0409072159.2b15e321@posting.google.com... > Scanner connected via USB > > When scanner is connected to a Windo...

necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer?
We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in addition to the XP computer? best, Aaron From: <aaronep@pacbell.net> > We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We > have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP > computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is > it necessary to in...

Printer sharing over wireless using Printopia
We are trying to share a printer for use by iPad users. The printer is dire= ctly connected to a Mac running Printopia. Both the Mac and all of the iPad= s are connected to the same WLAN. It's working fine at one location, but no= t at all at another location (iPads cannot see the printer). The location i= t works at has standalone APs (mostly 1131AGs). The site it does not work a= t has lightweight APs (4402 WLC running 6.0.199.4, also with 1131AGs). The = controller has multicast enabled, has multicast mode set to 'multicast', an= d has a multicast address set to 239.21.0.1 (I've also tried 224.0.0.1). Th= e Mac and iPads all have normal connectivity. What might the problem be? ...

Can't set up the HP Printer on DSL Box on the Shared Printer port...
Hi Group, Maybe wrong group, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. I feel a bit of a berk that I can't repeat on my own machine but I did on the girlfriends! We have a Draytek Wireless G router and it's got a USB port on the back to enable 'network printing'. We've both got Windows XP and I'm going bonkers. The driver is installed on my machine, and the IP of the router is 192.168.1.1 (which is the printer). I've added a TCP\IP port in the Ports Tab, and ticked it. When I unplug the printer locally from the USB and plonk it in the router, the pri...

Win 98 computer won't connect locally
I purchased a used Thinkpad 600E which uses Windows 98 (not SE). It doesn't have a built-in network jack so I inserted a 3com pcmcia connector I have sucessfully used before, configured it in the normal fixed IP fashion to my internal network (192.168.0.??) and rebooted. Settings says it's working correctly and I've setup network connections many times before. Everything on my internal network is behind a hardware router. I can ping an outside IP, both one I know by dotted IP address and one by using DNS. I can also surf, connected to a url (good old Google) using MS...

Windows 2000 Computer can't open shared folders on XP Home Computer
I am trying to help a friend fix a problem with a simple 2 computer network. One computer is running XP Home, the Other Windows 2000 Professional. They are connected via Ethernet connected to a 5 Port Linksys Switch. For over a year there was no problem. Recently the Windows 2000 computer has lost the ability to open shared folders on the XP Home Computer or print to the shared printer connected to the XP Home computer. The opposite procedures all work (connecting to the Windows 2000 computer from the Windows XP Home computer). I can "see" the Windows XP computer in the network neighborhood of the Windows 2000 computer but I cannot access it. I believe this is related to a problem with a virus or a worm on the XP home computer (among other problem machine was infected with mcafee32.exe and lha.exe). I have tried a number of methods to try and open shared folders or connected to the shared printer and gotten a variety of failure messages including: "System Error 5" "Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" From searching the internet I have discovered that I am not the first person to have this problem. I have tried all the fixes that seemed reasonable including, upgrading to Service Pack 2, installing all the latest Microsoft updates, removing and reinstalling networking components, disabling the Microsoft firewall, deleting and re-establishing all shares, changing the IPRstack size, changing comp...

Windows 2000 Computer can't open shared folders on XP Home Computer
I am trying to help a friend fix a problem with a simple 2 computer network. One computer is running XP Home, the Other Windows 2000 Professional. They are connected via Ethernet connected to a 5 Port Linksys Switch. For over a year there was no problem. Recently the Windows 2000 computer has lost the ability to open shared folders on the XP Home Computer or print to the shared printer connected to the XP Home computer. The opposite procedures all work (connecting to the Windows 2000 computer from the Windows XP Home computer). I can "see" the Windows XP computer in the network neigh...

win XP to win 98 SE
Hi I have a Win XP laptop, I want to connect it to my desktop which runs win 98 se. When the desktop boots the message appears on the laptop that it is connected to a 100 Mbps lan, but when the win 98 on the desktop completely loads, the message changes to "network cable unplugged" and I am unable to connect. Also I assigned an IP statically to both the machines, but when I run Ipconfig, It does not show the addresses assigned. Please help. Are you using a cross over cable between the machines OR straight through cable to hub/switch from each machine. http://www.p...

HP Deskjet 1120c printer on Win XP
I've just bought a new computer that came with Win XP Home edition installed, and it recognised my HP 1120c printer when I connected it, and installed the XP driver fine. The machine works okay, but the driver seems to have many fewer features than my previous Win 98 driver. In particular, I cannot find the Zoomsmart option in the XP driver, which is used to enlarge an A4 original printing job so that it prints on an A3 sheet. Any ideas how to get at Zoomsmart? (I've tried HP email support, but all I got was a response saying they don't support that printer by email, and I should ...

Applet to run on Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7 ??
Hi gurus, In our JSF/JSP application we use applet to do client side printing. The chalenge is that the application must run on various windows version, i.e : Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7. Is there any known concern/issue on this applet portability for those WIndows versions ? Thank you very much, Krist On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:54:23 -0700 (PDT), Krist <krislioe@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >Is there any known concern/issue on this applet portability for those >WIndows versions ? The current version of Java no...

Problem while using function 'eig' in Win 7 and Win XP
Hi, I am facing some weird problem while using 'eig' command in Win 7 and Win XP. For some datasets, the output of eig i.e. eigen vectors and values in Win 7 is coming different if I use the same dataset in win XP. As a result of that, I am not able to migrate my application from XP to win7. Does eig command behaves differently in both these OS?? Regards Kamal On 6/30/2011 4:17 AM, Kamal wrote: > Hi, > I am facing some weird problem while using 'eig' command in Win 7 and Win XP. For some datasets, > the output of eig i.e. eigen vectors and values in Win 7 is coming ...

Adding a network printer on Win 98 and Win Me.
How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks in advance. "ARaman" <appusaves@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e25a84b5.0310221923.1d959a70@posting.google.com... > How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? > WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show > the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection me...

Migrating from a Win95 computer to a Win XP computer
Hi! I have a bunch of Clipper apps which I still have to maintain. I had no trouble under Win 95. I recently changed my old computer and now have Win XP. I copied the Clipper directories from the old computer exactly as they were, but nothing works in this new computer. Programs start but hang shortly after that. I am running Clipper 5.2c . I downloaded the patch to 5.2e spanish version (52esp.exe) from ftp://ftp.ca.com/caproducts/clipper, in case it helps, but I cannot install it, the installer starts, then the computer makes some noise and the program halts. When I try my apps, the key...

Network hp7960 printer Win xp to Win ME?
Printer installs ok on the win xp PC. When trying to network with the laptop running ME, the laptop sees the printer on the networked PC, and thens asks for the cd disk. However, this is where the problem begins. When following the install steps, it cannot find certain files on the install disk, nor will it use the installed files from the xp computer. I've installed this printer on an xp pc and an xp laptop. It just will not install as a networked printer between the laptop running win ME and the PC running xp. I did find step by step procedures on the following web site, but even t...

Adding a network printer on Win 98 and Win Me
How does one add a network printer on Windows 98 and Me? WNetAddConnection2 seems to pass,but the UI does not update to show the printer is installed. On NT systems,AddPrinterConnection method works fine. Is there a similar method that will work on 98/Me? Thanks in advance. ...

Win Win Win Win......
Win Win Win Win...... Win cash Rs.10,000. SMS BLUFF to 57333 (Only For Indian) Free Registration! - Register here Free:- http://offr.biz/HLDDT337130BVGMJPF (....Free Offer is Valid Only For First 250 members who Registered...) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ...

SiPix A6 Pocket Printer... can't get it to work with Win 98 or Palm V. 4.0
Well, I just won this little 'gem' on Ebay-- the SiPix A6 thermal printer. I have a laptop running Win98 with no IR capability, but with the drivers installed correctly, it won't print via a serial connection. I just get back "Unable to print". Using my Palm M500 (*with* IR) the Palm OS drivers that came on the CD were installed. I get a little print menu that appears to be a plugin to a handful of native palm apps (kind of a drag, really.. I wanted to print from other apps beyond memopad, address, to-do list, etc.). When I run "IR Detect" the Palm recogniz...

Web resources about - using shared deskjet 720c (win 98 se) on another computer computer (win XP) but printer isn't in list of printers - comp.sys.hp.hardware