XP Home on 310n won't boot to Windows; boot disks don't work

Howdy, folks -- been a while since I had a problem I needed help
with, but now.... :)

A wonderful problem for the mavens. :(

I have 2 accounts (Owner & 1 Limited) on a 310n running XP Home. After
installing the latest security fix (as owner, obviously <g>), I
switched to my kid's limited account to log him off before restarting.
Screen went black & did not return to the owner account after a couple
of seconds as it normally should have. Cold booting does not work; the
machine will not boot to Windows in any mode at all: Normal, Safe/Safe
with command prompt, last-known-good, etc. No Windows, period.

Attempts to force Safe Mode resulted in the expected barberpole of
the load of amdagp.sys . I've reset the BIOS defaults with no success.
Nor do attempts to access the recovery console via my set of boot
floppies work; after inserting disk 2, the following error message
displays: "File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code is 7.
Setup cannot continue."

I've done all I know to do & wanted to pick the collective brain
before giving up & taking it to the shop tomorrow. Anyone have any
useful advice? ["Useful advice" is defined as something other than
wise-apple comments such as "Get a Mac!", "Shoulda gotten those
destructive-recovery CDs, doofus!", "Open 2nd-floor window; roll
box off roof," or similar. <grin>] I'm seriously stumped, folks;
can anyone help? Mucho TIA on this one!

Bill
0
top2 (2)
2/12/2004 6:55:05 AM
comp.sys.hp.hardware 5412 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4000T won't boot won't POST
I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Even with a new Power supply, nothing seems to power up. Even the floppy doesn't 'flick' (that funny noise it makes upon power-up) Any help appreciated. thanks Phil "Phil Bastien" <pbastien@nnby.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:c9qtlu0na3@enews1.newsguy.com... > I've had this problem for a while. Repair guys (no longer servicing Amiga's) > said it was a problem with the motherboard not posting. (I believe this is a > PC term) Said he got it working somehow by by-passing SCSI and using only > IDE. But when returned it still did not work. Are you using an X-Calibur accelerator? It is incompatible with the A4091 and, with my configuration, it hangs just after loading its software, when it resets the Amiga. I am curious about how to bypass the SCSI controller in the A4000T... -- ___ __ / __|___ Daniele Gratteri, Italian Commodore-Amiga user... /// | / |__/ Nickname: FIAT1100D - ICQ: 53943994 Ritmo S75 __ /// | \__|__\ Home page: http://www.gratteri.tk forever! \\\/// \___| E-MAIL: daniele@gratteri.tk ...since 1990 \/// ...

Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware
Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux. Instead buy more generic brands that works with more OSes. Save hours of grind getting things to work by checking web sites for harware compatibility. In particular as Linux is taking over, buy products with Linux compatibility listed. http://hardware4linux.info/ Thats one place where you can check if the hardware you plan buying is safe. Places where Linux is free to download: http://www.livecdlist.com http://www.distrowatch.com http://www.ubuntu.com On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:31:41 GMT, 7 wrote: > Don't buy ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

eMac wouldn't boot, now won't power up
Hi folks, got a bad problem here. I was burning a CD. Halfway through the burn, the spinning beach ball came up. Stayed that way for a long time. Force quitting didn't work. Couldn't log out or restart either. Had to power off. Then, when I turned it back on, the flashing question mark inside the folder came up on the screen. I removed the half-burned CD, put in the Panther install CD and booted up off of that. I launched Disk Utility, and it couldn't see the drive. I rebooted using the Apple Hardware Test CD and it saw the drive. Rebooted off the Panther install ...

Windows XP won't boot
I recently installed Windows XP upgrade and a home network. Everything was working fine for a couple of days and then the computer crashed. Upon rebooting I get the message Error: We appologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to ythe most recent settings that worked. If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power fa...

boots, boots, boots. it's easy to fall in love with a man you don't trust, but hard live him. real, lasting relationships are built on trust.
boots, boots, boots. it's easy to fall in love with a man you don't trust, but hard live him. real, lasting relationships are built on trust. http://pinterest.com/pin/547539267166050866/ ...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "extremely disappointing...won't boot...won't recover...no terminal mode... Nothing"
#1167 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 Linux == guaranteed disappointment. On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > #1167 at > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 > > > Linux == guaranteed disappointment. No, it doesn't. -- Rick On 2010-07-06, the following emerged from the brain of Rick: > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:17:41 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> #1167 at >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1465548&page=117 >> >> >> Linux == guaranteed disappoi...

SGI Fuel won't boot, can't access PROM
I'm having a serious problem booting an SGI Fuel. I believe it is running IRIX 6.5 and the PROM is version 6.144. The system was working but no one knew the root password. Of course I tried getting into single user mode by typing 'single' at the PROM console which started a boot then the screen went blank and the system became nonresponsive. I tried using 2 different overlay installation CD's (can't find original OS) to boot but both appear to lock up the graphics after copying files to the harddrive (before any menus even come up). I've tried connecting a null-modem cable to COM1 from an XP PC running hyperterminal (9600 8-N-1) but have never been able to get any output to the terminal. I've tried with and without the keyboard and mouse plugged into the Fuel. In an attempt to get this working I was playing with environment variable in the PROM and may have changed something that's caused my current situation. I set the following: console=d AutoBoot=No When the Fuel is turned on, the 3 lights on the keyboard flash as normal; the LED on the case flashed white for a bit then goes solid white (normal I think); but the monitor never turns on! Usually the monitor would come on maybe 10 seconds after the flashing keyboard lights, just in time to see the graphical display prompting to enter Maintenance Mode. If I press the power button on the Fuel at this point it shuts down immediately. The last thing I did in the PROM console was run ...

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. Can anybody on here please tell me how to make any one of my webcams work on Ubuntu 12.04 with flash? Don't tell me it's the manufacturer's fault, because they worked on Mepis8. Don't tell me to build a kernel and add some Su (or do or sudo) and add a line et al because it's all gibberish to me. Keep it simple please. Complicated is fine as long as it's step by step or copy and paste. Unfortunately, after about 12 years on linux, I will be driven back to windows if I don't get some help. The Mepis forums used to be excellent for advice because there weren't any bigheads showing off their superior knowledge of linux on it. The Ubuntu forums seem to be the opposite, more than 1000 posts (in two threads) on why they prefer ubuntu to xp, but none of them can help me get my webcam working!!!! So this is the challenge, before ...

13-sector Disk ][ boot code won't boot
I found the old Disk ][ ROMs that are for booting the 13-sector DOS 3.2 and DOS 3.1 disks on asimov ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/unsorted/13-sector-disk-ii-roms.zip and I thought I try using them to boot the DOS 3.1 nib image (such as DOS 3.1 Master-fixed.d13.gz in the same unsorted directory). Long story short... it wouldn't boot; it just printed ERR. I disassembled the boot code and I am confused by it. It find the address header D5 AA B5 and sector 0 just fine, and it reads in the encoded bytes, but the denibblizing routine doesn't seem to be doing the right thing. W...

Windows XP Won't Boot Correctly
I was typing a document in Microsoft Word when suddenly my screen went blank and then I noticed that my computer was off. I turned it back on, and it boots to Windows XP Professional (boot screen), and after it shows that it has completed loading, the screen flashes blue very quickly and then resets itself as if I had restarted the computer. Is there anything I can do? I don't want to have to reinstall, but I will do so if that's my only way out. Thanks in advance. When you reboot next time, press the F8 key after any BIOS screens but before you see the XP startup screen. You may ha...

What is a difference in 'T t = u' and in 'T t( u )'
Hi, Does anyone can explain me why declarations marked as 1 compile whereas declarations marked as 2 do not compile? The most obvious example is the third one with shared_ptr. It is because of explicite constructor. Am I right? But what about first and second examples? Please notice also that examples second and third are completely different. Constructor calling syntax is right in third but not in second. However assign syntax is right in second example but not in third. #include <boost/assign/list_of.hpp> #include <boost/shared_ptr.hpp> #include <iostream> #include <...

System boots some CDs, won't boot FC3 disk 1
I have a Dell Dimension XPS p133e that I am repurposing. I am accordingly trying to install FC3 on it. This system refuses to boot the FC3 disk 1. By 'not boot', I mean that it appears as if absolutely no executable code is read from the CD and executed. This system boots a knoppix CD (labeled KNOPPIX_V3.3_2003-11-14-EN) without problems - to the point that I can browse the web. I have checked the FC3 disk 1 by booting it in another system - the other system boots this disk just fine, and I can run 'linux mediacheck' at the boot line. mediacheck tells me that this disk (as well as disks 2-4 and the rescue CD from the FC3 set) are fine. As other data points, I have also tried booting FC1 disk 1, RH 9.0 disk 1, and RH 8.0 disk 1, as well as Mandrake 9.1 disk 1 in this system, with no success. Each of these have been used in the past to install on various machines. So I guess the questions are: - why would a given system boot from some CDs, and not others? - is there something magical about a knoppix disk? (yeah, right) - what can I do to get FC3 installed on this machine? (no floppy present) TIA, Joe Joe Breher's spam blocker wrote: > I have a Dell Dimension XPS p133e that I am repurposing. I am accordingly > trying to install FC3 on it. This system refuses to boot the FC3 disk 1. > By 'not boot', I mean that it appears as if absolutely no executable code > is read from the CD and ex...

mac won't boot...memberd[58] can't find root user
I am not much of a mac user but was given the task of getting postgresql and an application working on a G4. I successfully installed postgresql from the sourceforge package and got this java application running. The only thing I can think that i did other than the postgresql install is that I reset the root passwd. Everything was working great until I rebooted this morning. The gray screen with the apple appears with the progress pinwheel and nothing happens. I was not able to boot into safe mode. I was able to boot in singleuser mode. When I try and startup from there I see this repeate...

X windows: don't install or don't run?
Reading a number of books and articles about security, it appears that there are many security issues with X windows. If I want to avoid X window-related security holes, is it enough to run my server with X not up (by, say, choosing an appropriate runlevel), or must I not even install X and related packages? TIA Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://...

At first the crapware didn't work, then the crapware did work, now the crapware won't work again
"when i installed fedora9 i could login as root, but had problems with installing updates and my printer did not work, today for some strange reason my updates worked, and after that my printer worked. but now my display is not right, and when i make the change from my user side it does not take. i can not login to the root now.." #8 at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=202644 Linux just works <doesn't> works <doesn't> .... RonB wrote: > DFS wrote: > >> "when i installed fedora9 i could login as root, but had problems with...

I sell various items for Amiga on EBAY, if you don't agree don't read and don't break my balls, understand mr. user?
See on this link: http://search.ebay.it/_W0QQsassZmousemikiQQhtZ-1 P.s. not all items are for Amiga, simple don't see others! ...

[News] Joke: Mandriva Won't Boot; Clonezilla GNU/Linux Gives Windows the Boot

Windows XP cannot boot, can't recognize hard disk format
Hello, I have a dual booting 1.3 GHz Athlon Thunderbird running Windows XP Pro. Everything's been working really well so far. I shut down the computer at night and in the morning, I booted it up again. In the morning, it launches XP, then runs the disk checking program, as it does once a week. It finds some errors, fixes them, reboots, and can't boot Windows. It gets to the first XP screen, the one with the black background and the blue status bar, but the second it hits that screen, it reboots. It cannot boot in Safe Mode. After it lists the drivers loading, it rea...

Can't access C drive from Windows Xp boot disk
How do I make a Win Xp boot disk that will recoginize a 16 gig hard disk and allow access from the command prompt? I made a boot disk using the A: format options, but I can't get to the C drive when it boots from the floppy. Is there a driver I can add to the boot disk that will allow access to the hard drive? -Bill Probably the best option is to boot from your XP CD as it has all the necessary drivers & files. WT <wrongaddress@att.net> wrote in message news:1105426149.407196.62100@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > How do I make a Win Xp boot disk that will recogini...

Web resources about - XP Home on 310n won't boot to Windows; boot disks don't work - comp.sys.hp.hardware