B132L Tape Drive Question

I have an old HP B132L with an HP 35480A SCSI 50 pin (Centronics),
4mm, DAT, DDS-1.

I would like to add something like a Seagate 68000N_O SCSI 50 pin
(small),
4mm, DAT, DDS-2? This would need a SCSI cable with different ends.
Perhaps
a different drive would be better to ensure reading with HP 10.20
Unix.

I know the existing drive has the old 50 pin SCSI connector and I do
understand
that I would have to assign the new drive with a different SCSI (SE)
address.

My goal is to add a drive that can read DDS-2, 120m 4/8gb tapes.  I
have to recover data
stored by a D330 to the tape using tar years ago and the DDS1 drive
spits the tape out.
The D330 was sent to the computer here after years ago. So I am left
with the D132L
which can read old 90m DDS-1 tapes.

Any ideas?

Thanks
comp.sys.hp.hpux 4408 articles. 1 followers. dewi.bening (7) is leader. Post Follow

All of those DDS1/2/3 DAT drives were 50 pin so you'll have no problem.
I'd just remove the DDS-1 drive and put a DDS-2 in it's place.

I have a Seagate DDS-2 for sale really cheaply if you need one. Should
work fine :-)

> I would like to add something like a Seagate 68000N_O SCSI 50 pin
> (small),
> 4mm, DAT, DDS-2? This would need a SCSI cable with different ends.
> Perhaps
> a different drive would be better to ensure reading with HP 10.20
> Unix.
>
> I know the existing drive has the old 50 pin SCSI connector and I do
> understand
> that I would have to assign the new drive with a different SCSI (SE)
> address.
>
> My goal is to add a drive that can read DDS-2, 120m 4/8gb tapes.  I
> have to recover data
> stored by a D330 to the tape using tar years ago and the DDS1 drive
> spits the tape out.
> The D330 was sent to the computer here after years ago. So I am left
> with the D132L
> which can read old 90m DDS-1 tapes.

Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
0
John
6/4/2010 11:56:04 AM
On Jun 4, 7:56=A0am, John Burns <j...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> All of those DDS1/2/3 DAT drives were 50 pin so you'll have no problem.
> I'd just remove the DDS-1 drive and put a DDS-2 in it's place.
>
> I have a Seagate DDS-2 for sale really cheaply if you need one. Should
> work fine :-)
>

> > I would like to add something like a Seagate 68000N_O SCSI 50 pin
> > (small),
> > 4mm, DAT, DDS-2? This would need a SCSI cable with different ends.
> > Perhaps
> > a different drive would be better to ensure reading with HP 10.20
> > Unix.
>
> > I know the existing drive has the old 50 pin SCSI connector and I do
> > understand
> > that I would have to assign the new drive with a different SCSI (SE)
> > address.
>
> > My goal is to add a drive that can read DDS-2, 120m 4/8gb tapes. =A0I
> > have to recover data
> > stored by a D330 to the tape using tar years ago and the DDS1 drive
> > spits the tape out.
> > The D330 was sent to the computer here after years ago. So I am left
> > with the D132L
> > which can read old 90m DDS-1 tapes.
>
> --
> Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-) =A0
> Email: j...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> Web =A0:http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk- The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> Need Sun or HP Unix kit?http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.htmlwww.Stra=
thspey.co.uk- Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price- Hide quoted text -

John,

I am over here in the states if that matters?  Is this an external
drive?
Needs 110VAC mains.  What kind of price were you lookiing for (U.S.
$)?

Do you also have a 50 pin to 50 pin short SCSI cable and hopefully
a paper, electronic or WEB URL of the manual?

If you want to go offline with this so we can discuss prices and
payment options please email me directly.  Thanks.

Email:  bcopanel-ggroup@yahoo.com

Thanks

0
Ken_Old_Unix_Guy
6/5/2010 9:47:50 PM
On Jun 5, 5:47=A0pm, Ken_Old_Unix_Guy <bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 7:56=A0am, John Burns <j...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > All of those DDS1/2/3 DAT drives were 50 pin so you'll have no problem.
> > I'd just remove the DDS-1 drive and put a DDS-2 in it's place.
>
> > I have a Seagate DDS-2 for sale really cheaply if you need one. Should
> > work fine :-)
>
> > > I would like to add something like a Seagate 68000N_O SCSI 50 pin
> > > (small),
> > > 4mm, DAT, DDS-2? This would need a SCSI cable with different ends.
> > > Perhaps
> > > a different drive would be better to ensure reading with HP 10.20
> > > Unix.
>
> > > I know the existing drive has the old 50 pin SCSI connector and I do
> > > understand
> > > that I would have to assign the new drive with a different SCSI (SE)
> > > address.
>
> > > My goal is to add a drive that can read DDS-2, 120m 4/8gb tapes. =A0I
> > > have to recover data
> > > stored by a D330 to the tape using tar years ago and the DDS1 drive
> > > spits the tape out.
> > > The D330 was sent to the computer here after years ago. So I am left
> > > with the D132L
> > > which can read old 90m DDS-1 tapes.
>
> > --
> > Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-) =A0
> > Email: j...@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> > Web =A0:http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk-The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> > Need Sun or HP Unix kit?http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.htmlwww.St=
rathspey.co.uk-Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price- Hide quoted text -

> John,
>
> I am over here in the states if that matters? =A0Is this an external
> drive?
> Needs 110VAC mains. =A0What kind of price were you lookiing for (U.S.
> $)?
>
> Do you also have a 50 pin to 50 pin short SCSI cable and hopefully
> a paper, electronic or WEB URL of the manual?
>
> If you want to go offline with this so we can discuss prices and
> payment options please email me directly. =A0Thanks.
>
> Email: =A0bcopanel-ggr...@yahoo.com
>
> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Email address got hosed up. Lets try that again.  Remove all spaces.

b  c  o  p  a  n  e  l  -  g  g  r  o  u  p  s  @  y  a  h  o  o  .
c  o  m

bcopanel-ggoups    yahoo.com

Thanks