Building an HP-UX kernel

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,

I am trying to rebuild an HP-UX 11.11 kernel because I have changed a
parameter (nfile to be precise). Now I wanted to rebuild the kernel
using the following command:

/usr/sbin/mk_kernel -s /stand/system.example -o /stand/vmunix.example

But unfortunately I get the following error message:

Generating module: krm...
Generating module: rng...
Compiling conf.c...
cpp: warning: Cannot open message catalog: "/usr/lib/nls/msg/C/cpp.cat".
cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 40: error 4036:

cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 43: error 4036:

cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 44: error 4036:

cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 83: error 4036:

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
config: make did an exit(1)

Also with SAM no chance it doesn't work neither... Does anyone know what
the problem could be ?

Thanks
Regards

0
Reply Syn 2/4/2004 10:06:26 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article <4020C422.9070504@hotmail.com>, Syn wrote:
> Compiling conf.c...
> cpp: warning: Cannot open message catalog: "/usr/lib/nls/msg/C/cpp.cat".
> cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 40: error 4036:
>
> cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 43: error 4036:
>
> cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 44: error 4036:
>
> cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 83: error 4036:
>
> *** Error exit code 1

One thing you can do is compare/contrast the /usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h
file against another similar system.  One of my clients had a
/usr/conf/sys/sleep.h that would occasionally disappear for reasons
that no one could explain.

HTH;

Doug

--
--------
Senior UNIX Admin

0
Reply Doug 2/4/2004 1:44:12 PM

Syn (syn_NOSPAM_uw@hotmail.com) wrote:
: But unfortunately I get the following error message:
: cpp: warning: Cannot open message catalog: "/usr/lib/nls/msg/C/cpp.cat".
: cpp: "/usr/conf/sys/statvfs.h", line 40: error 4036:

: Also with SAM no chance it doesn't work neither... Does anyone know what
: the problem could be?

If you can list those files, you could have too many files open:
$ dumpmsg /usr/lib/nls/msg/C/cpp.cat | fgrep 4036
4036 %2$s, line %3$d: error %1$d: Can't open include file '%4$s'.
0
Reply dhandly 2/7/2004 5:11:54 AM
comp.sys.hp.hpux 4391 articles. 6 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

HP-UX Secure Shell for HP-UX 10
Hi, is it posible? i have search the HP web and i find info just for HP-UX 11 and above ... What can i do? do i have to upgrade to HP-UX 11? Any other solutions? Thanks Martull Martull wrote: > Hi, > > is it posible? i have search the HP web and i find info just for HP-UX 11 > and above ... > > What can i do? do i have to upgrade to HP-UX 11? Any other solutions? > > Thanks > > Martull OpenSSH works fine with HP-UX 10.20. You can download it from www.openssh.org. Regards, Constantin Wiemer ...

HP-UX PA-RISC to HP-UX Itanium migration
Hi, We have to port our application from PA RISC to Itanium. We are using aCC compiler. Can I get list of aCC flags that are used for PA-RISC systems but not usable on IPF systems. Like +DD64 would be used for PA-RISC but not for IPF. List of such aCC flags... to avoid possible aCC pitfalls while porting. Thanks Alok chugh_alok@hotmail.com wrote: > We have to port our application from PA RISC to Itanium. We are using > aCC compiler. Can I get list of aCC flags that are used for PA-RISC > systems but not usable on IPF systems. Like +DD64 would be used for > PA-RISC but not for I...

Kernel threads on HP-UX
Hi, The DDK does not document how kernel threads can be created on HP-UX. Googled it and didn't get much info either. Anybody have any ideas on how to create/delete hp-ux kernel threads ? -thanks No worries. Got the good folks at HP to help me out. Manoj R <manuu@rocketmail.com> wrote: > No worries. Got the good folks at HP to help me out. And for the benefit of those who follow, what did they say? rick jones -- portable adj, code that compiles under more than one compiler these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :) feel free to post, OR email...

HP-UX 11.00 vs. HP-UX 11i
I just started a new job and we're trying to figure out if there's any compelling reason to move to 11i from 11.00 on the PA-RISC architecture. I know 11.00 has been around for more than 5 years now so it only has a very few years left in the life-cycle, I would guess, but that never seems to be a compelling reason for managers. (I was still running a couple of 9.x systems at my previous job and the new employer still has quite a few 10.01 systems in operation, as I've been told.) If we plan to migrate to Itanium at some point, 11i will be a requirement. Aside from potential futur...

Compatibility between hp-ux 11.11 and hp-ux 11.23
Hello, I am really new to HP-UX! I've got a C program which was compiled on HP-UX 11.11 (PA-RISC, 64 bit). Is there any chance this compiled C program will work on HP-UX 11.23 (PA-RISC, 64 bit)? Thanks, Federico Federico Cozzi schreef: > Hello, > I am really new to HP-UX! > > I've got a C program which was compiled on HP-UX 11.11 (PA-RISC, 64 > bit). > Is there any chance this compiled C program will work on HP-UX 11.23 > (PA-RISC, 64 bit)? > > Thanks, > Federico Federico, Was it compiled statical or dynamical? The first...

Configuring Cognos PPES on HP-UX & Essbase on HP-UX
The company I work for currently has both Cognos and Essbase in house. We are exploring the possibility of replacing our Cognos cubes with Essbase cubes. But we still want to maintain the Cognos PowerPlay (web and PC) front end for data analysis. I have searched far and wide for information on whether this setup will work. Both servers (PPES and Essbase) are running on HP-UX machines. And I know that the PPES server must use a PowerConnect stub to the Essbase cube to register it in the table of contents. However, there are no Essbase libraries/drivers on our PPES server, so the conn...

Error building perl on HP-UX
Hi, I am trying to build perlv-5.8 on HP-UX system. i get the following errors : `sh cflags "optimize='+O2 +Onolimit'" pp_hot.o` pp_hot.c CCCMD = aCC -DPERL_CORE -c -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 +O2 +Onolimit Warning 267: "/usr/include/sys/socket.h", line 504 # Inconsistent linkage in declarations of "long long sendfile(int,int,long long,unsigned long long,const iovec *,int)"; previously was extern now is declared static. static sbsize_t sendfile(a,b...

Problem building Python on HP-UX
I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX 11.00 with full tcl/tk IDLE support. So far, I haven't had any luck. I always wind up getting errors of the form: ld: DP relative code in file /ptg/devtools/hppa1.1/pre/lib/libtk8.4.a(tkWindow.o) - shared library must be position independent. Use +z or +Z to recompile. I have tried building tcl/tk without any configure options as well as with --disable-shared and --disable-load but this doesn't help. Anyone seen anything like this or know how to get around it? Jeff [Dr. Who wrote] > I'm trying to build Python 2.4.1 on HP-UX ...

How to recover HP-UX system with broken kernel
Situation is this: HP c3700 workstation with two 18GB disks. HP-UX 11i v1 has been installed with VERITAS VxFS striped over both disks. I removed some kernel drivers, and after a kernel rebuild and the following reboot the machine crashes. I bootet of the HP-UX installation CD and tried to do a recovery (replace the kernel). But the recovery script only lets me choose between both disks, it doesn't recognize that this is a stripe set. Can anyone give me a helping hand here? Benjamin Benjamin Gawert wrote: > Situation is this: HP c3700 workstation with two 18GB disks. HP-UX 11i ...

Build shared libjpeg on HP-UX 11
I have been unsuccessful in trying to build shared libraries for libjpeg on HP-UX 11. I think they should build OK, but I can't get ../configure to even try. Everytime I issue ./configure --enable-shared=yes, it outputs that shared libraries are not available on this system. However, I just built a shared library of libpng (and other things) just fine. Can someone please tell me how to hack the ../configure script (or something) to get this to work?!? I even tried to find a place to enter a bug report, but the only thing I can find on the web is the IJG website (http://www.ijg.org/) a...

Building IA locales on HP-UX IPF
1. How can I build IA locales on HP-UX IPF system and where to install missing locale sources from? I am specifically interested in ru_RU.utf8 locale, which is not in /usr/lib/nls/loc/src directory. 2. How to configure xterm or dtterm to support UNICODE on HP-UX? Thanks, Alona ...

Perl/Tk build fails on HP-UX
I am trying to build Perl/Tk so I can install the tcl-tk perl module and I am having some difficulty. I see many others have had similar problems with builds on HP-UX which I am somewhat new to. OS: HP-UX 11.11 Installed: Perl 5.8.7 compiled with cc tcltk program HP's bundled cc compiler (non-ansi) gcc 3.4.3 I had to add some X11 include files as HP-UX didn't have a full set. I found the X11R5 files so I used those. After the Perl/Tk make failed I changed to CC=gcc. This is the line I'm using: perl Makefile.PL CC=gcc X11=/usr/lib/X11R5 X11INC=/usr/local/X11R5/incl...

Building GNU Apps on HP-UX Itainium
The company I work for is in the process of transitioning from SGI Unix boxes to HP-Ux Itainium machines (HP-UX 11.23i) and I need to port several GNU software tools to the new Itainium. So far, I have not been able to successfully build and install any of the GNU software that I have tried. As a **very** newbie Itainium user, I'm more than a little lost as to how to proceed. Is it even possible to build GNU software on an Itainium machine and if so are there any tricks, option overrides, or patches that are Itainium (or maybe HP-UX) specific ? I've built a rair amoun...

Building MPFR on HP UX 11.23
I could not find answers to problems with MPFR build on HP UX 11.23 so I am trying here. For several days trying to build MPFR (see mpfr.org). Getting the following error: /var/tmp//ccBtJjjr.s: Assembler messages: /var/tmp//ccBtJjjr.s:476: Error: Invalid Add Condition: dc (actually 3 errors of this same type). Can any one direct me to or have answer to this problem please. I am trying to build GNU fortran, it requires GMP & MPFR. Thanks .... Kris In article <1187714714.082486.192980@q4g2000prc.googlegroups.com> krisc <kris.czerniawski@gmail.com> wrote: >I could not find a...

Perl/Tk build fails on HP-UX
I am trying to build Perl/Tk so I can install the tcl-tk perl module and I am having some difficulty. I see many others have had similar problems with builds on HP-UX which I am somewhat new to. (I posted to ../modules first but I meant to post here) OS: HP-UX 11.11 Installed: Perl 5.8.7 compiled with cc tcltk program HP's bundled cc compiler (non-ansi) gcc 3.4.3 I had to add some X11 include files as HP-UX didn't have a full set. I found the X11R5 files so I used those. After the Perl/Tk make failed I ...

Problems building aide on HP-UX 11i
Been tring to build 'aide' on a workstation running HP-UX 11i, but I've run into a problem with the configure. I have built zlib and mhash using gcc, and get past their tests as follows: ../configure --prefix=/opt/aide-0.9 --with-extra-libs=/opt/zlib-1.1.4/lib:/opt/mhash-0.8.17/lib:/usr/lib \ --with-extra-includes=/opt/zlib-1.1.4/include:/opt/mhash-0.8.17/include:/usr/include but the configure then complains about not having vsnprintf available (even though it is defined in stdio.h). Has anybody had success building 'aide' on HP-UX who could help me out? Ple...

cannot build XEmacs 21.4.22 on HP-UX
I'm trying to build a 64 bit version of XEmacs 21.4.22 on HP-UX 11.11 with the HP C compiler. It works up to creating the temacs executable, but it then fails with the following message: ../temacs -nd -batch -l /home/limpet/ex36672/tools/dist/xemacs-21.4.22/ src/../lisp/update-elc.el Error before initialization is complete! Fatal error: assertion failed, file /home/limpet/ex36672/tools/dist/ xemacs-21.4.22/src/eval.c, line 1880, ABORT() make[1]: *** [update-elc.stamp] IOT trap (core dumped) make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp_mnt/home/limpet/ex36672/tools/dist/ xemacs-21.4.22-h...

Probs Building Perl on HP-UX 11.23
I'm working on building perl 5.8.8 on HP-UX 11.23. I'm using this configuration... CC=/opt/ansic/bin/cc Configure -Duselargefiles -Dusethreads - Duse64bitall -de ....which was derived from the README.HPUX. The system is an Itanium- based system. I've made some good progress, but four tests always fail: Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- .../lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant.t 272 270 99.26% 3-272 .../lib/...

Kernel parameters for Oracle 9i on HP-UX 11i
Hello! "Once upon a time", I found a document on metalink which described recommended kernel parameters for Oracle 9i on HP-UX 11i and other operating systems. But I can't remember the doc id or what search terms I used to find it. Maybe some of you know this document? If so, could you please be so kind and post a link/id? Thanks a lot, Alexander Skwar -- Liebe ist nur ein anderer Ausdruck für Schweinerei. -- Berthold Brecht (Herr Puntila und sein Knecht) Alexander Skwar wrote: > "Once upon a time", I found a document on metalink which de...

Migration of Kernel intrusive application
Hello, We would like to port our kernel intrusive networking product(C code) from HP-UX 11.23(PA-RISC) to Linux 2.6.9-67 (RHEL 4.6 x86) In this regards, do we have a tool which can scan the source code and list out the transition impact areas on the target platform ? HP has a porting kit to help migrate user application level code from Linux to HP-UX but not vice-versa. Since this is a kernel module it contains HP-UX specific code. Can anyone list down areas to watchout for during transition ? We envisage endianness, system call handling, kernel data structures as major challenges. It woul...

Problem building ssh on hp-ux 10.01
I tried to build ssh on hpux 10.01 using gcc. the "configure" step fails with: error: *** -lxnet needed on HP-UX - check config.log *** Where can I obtain the required libraries? Unfortunately, this OS is kind of old and I don't think HP provides any software for it anymore. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Gabriel In article <7KudnVUj8NwcFSHdRVn-vw@megapath.net>, G.R. Toro <toro@riskengXYZ.com> wrote: >I tried to build ssh on hpux 10.01 using gcc. the "configure" step fails >with: > >error: *** -lxnet needed on HP-UX - check config.log ...

Errors in test of tcl8.4.3 build on HP-UX
After building tcl8.4.3 on HP-UX 11.11, I ran a 'make test' and had three of the tests failed. The other tests were successful. Here are the snipped out sections of the test output: clock.test ==== clock-9.1 %s gmt testing FAILED ==== Contents of test case: # We need PST to guarantee the difference value below, and %s isn't # valid on all OSes (like Solaris). set s 100000 set a [clock format $s -format %s -gmt 0] set b [clock format $s -format %s -gmt 1] # This should be the offset in seconds between current locale and GMT. # This didn't seem to b...

a question about Oracle 9202 client share library on HP-UX 11i ver2 IA64 and HP-UX 11i ver2 PA-RISC
Hi,all I want know that the dynamic link library of oracle (my version is 9.2.0.2 for HP-UX IA64) have some different between above two different platform? My issue is our application platform can't build on our IA64 HP-UX 11i B.11.23. The installation log always alert 'can not find the client share library libclntsh.sl.9.0'. but our Oracle for HP-UX just create libclntsh.so.9.0. I think our oracle is all right,but the issue is still after succesfully create libclntsh.sl.9.0 that it created by genclntsh that i modify the file suffix parameter 'so' to 'sl'.Our ...

HPSBUX02337 SSRT080072 rev.1