changing contiguous strict allocation policy

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi

i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of
my applications) but got the below messages

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy

I have checked that this logical volume is 2 disks, one is for mirror,
and a pvdisk shows enough disk space

i did a lvchance -Cn /dev/vgxx/....  before i lvextend.

Did i do the right thing?

Rgds

0
Reply yls177 (224) 10/20/2005 4:10:22 AM

See related articles to this posting

yls177 wrote:
> Hi
>
> i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of
> my applications) but got the below messages
>
> lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
> Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
> Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy
>
> I have checked that this logical volume is 2 disks, one is for mirror,
> and a pvdisk shows enough disk space
>

> i did a lvchance -Cn /dev/vgxx/....  before i lvextend.
>
> Did i do the right thing?
>
> Rgds

Can we have "vgdisplay -v /dev/vgxx" and "lvdisplay -v /dev/vgxx/lvxx" output ?
You must have enough free extents in both used disks if lv is in "strict mode" and do not forget you
need twice the space for mirroring.

0
Reply toto 10/22/2005 10:53:27 AM

Hi !

yls177 wrote:
> i was trying to lvextend one of my file system (this belongs to one of
> my applications) but got the below messages
>
> lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
> Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
> Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy
>
> I have checked that this logical volume is 2 disks, one is for mirror,
> and a pvdisk shows enough disk space
>

> i did a lvchance -Cn /dev/vgxx/....  before i lvextend.
>
> Did i do the right thing?
You have to do a "lvchange -s n /dev/vgXX/lvolYY", too.

Lars

0
Reply Lars 10/23/2005 10:18:55 AM

Hi,

we already changed using the lvchange commands.

also, i have verified that we have enough space for our lvol. This
resides in 2 separate disks. Each of them has enough disk space too.

Rgds

0
Reply yls177 10/24/2005 9:23:40 AM
comp.sys.hp.hpux 4388 articles. 6 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

IPFW
Here's the situation. I run a low traffic family history/genealogy website on my local box. My "customers" are family members who access the site from their home machines, all of which - so far as I can tell - use dynamic ip addresses. My current firewall policy is "accept all", with daily additions to my bad guys (block) list. It's becoming tiresome, however, and I'd like to change policy to "deny all" while still allowing my present "customers" and any future additions relative ease of access. I'm fairly comfortable with IPFW confi...

Billing Policy Change
"Cia-lis Sof`tabs" is better than Pfizer V`ia`g`ra and normal Ci-ialis because: - Guarantes 40 hours lasting - Safe to take, no side efects at all - Boost and increase se-xual performance - Harder e`rectiiions and quick recharge - Proven and certified by experts and doctors - only $1.56 per tabs - Special offeer! These prices - are valid until 30th of April! Clisk here: http://huifengsh.info dread ammonium convoke phenolic cottonseed usa numerous whippany osteopathy confirm breeches deferrable sinful seafood ram hickey stalk elude erratic dodecahedron bondsmen cohere an...

Changing iptable policy
All, I am trying to use set up a syslog server to capture syslog events outside a firewall. So, I am using Redhat 9.0 (Linux version 2.4.20-8) and IPTABLES to prevent unwanted access. The issue I am having is changing the policy. I want to create a new chain and have the policy to changed to DROP. Each time I enter the command iptables -P FIRE DROP, I get the following error message: iptables: Bad built-in chain name However, if I change one of the default chains of INPUT, FORWARD or OUTPUT with the command iptables -P INPUT DROP, the command is accepted. What am I missing? tjcreek55@y...

changing password policy
hi and happy new year to all of you out there i am a new user of linux (RH9.0) I am facing two problems: First one is that i am unsure how do i change the password policy of my system i mean that whenever any user want to change his or her password then the new password should be of how many characters and which all type of characters must be used in that new password. kindly be eleborate if possible. Second problem is that when i give shutdown command my system goes down but gives me a message of "power down" or "system halted" and then i have to manually switch the system...

ALLOCATE and contiguous memory
Are ALLOCATABLE arrays stored in contiguous memory, as regular arrays are? There is a post in another thread which involves an array that seems to be passed to a C program that expects an array contiguously stored in memory. The user is calling it with an ALLOCATABLE array, but then the documentation doesn't say not to do that. -- glen "glen herrmannsfeldt" <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message news:AmMad.351665$mD.221142@attbi_s02... > Are ALLOCATABLE arrays stored in contiguous memory, as > regular arrays are? > "A non-pointer array occupies a seque...

Is string allocation contiguous?
We know that vector<T> is required to be contiguous, that is, &vec[i] == &vec[0] + i if i < vec.size() But what about basic_string? Originally, it was specified that str[i] == str.data()[i] if i < str.size() This of course can't happen in the non-const case, but I assume that implementations use a non-const "_internal_data()". Anyway, the above statement implies &str[i] == &str[0] + i, which is the same as for vectors. The current working paper modifies this paragraph (21.3.4) as: str[i] == *(str.begin()+i) if i &...

Contiguous memory allocation
Hello, I try to allocate a memory block of 256MB using 'AllocateCommonBuffer', but I am able to allocate a maximum of 128MB of memory only. The system has 8GB of RAM ! I tried running the de-fragmenting software to use if that could be the issue. Any idea ? Thanks, Srivi. So what? Such large common buffers are not supported, at least on 32bit OS. The OS just could not find the _contiguous_ memory area of this size, that is normal. Try redesigning your solution to not require such huge common buffers. -- Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP StorageC...

allocate contiguous memory
Hi, I have a wdm kernel driver which needs a contiguous memory space of 2 MB. The memory is allocated with the AllocateCommonBuffer routine which is available if you use a dma adapter. So far so good. This is working on my test pc (intel dual core with 1 GB internal memory). However, at the pc from the customer it fails during installation of the driver (when the driver is started, the memory is allocated). If I tell the system to restart before using the driver (by using the reboot keyword in the .inf file), everything is fine (no problem with allocating the memory). What cou...

allocating contiguous memory
How can I allocate contiguous memory in a WDM driver. The call MmAllocateContiguousMemory needs the ntddk.h headerfile, and this file cannot be included when the wdm.h headfile is included. So my conclusion is that WDM drivers may not use this routine, but what is the alternative? TIA, Frank On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:16:48 +0100, "Frank van Eijkelenburg" <someone@work.com> wrote: >How can I allocate contiguous memory in a WDM driver. The call >MmAllocateContiguousMemory needs the ntddk.h headerfile, and this file >cannot be included when the wdm.h headf...

Changing Java Security Policy
Hi all,I have a question.Can we change the java security policy once I have started executingjava code.Or simply put - Can I change the security policy from within a javaprogram ??Thanks,Amit CalAmity! wrote:> Can we change the java security policy once I have started executing> java code.> Or simply put - Can I change the security policy from within a java> program ??Yes....... but you require the relevant security permissions to do it.Java Security is a non-trivial subject.Tom Hawtin On Mar 23, 10:50 pm, "CalAmity!" <amit.offic...@gmail.com> wrote:...> ..Can ...

Sun changes patch policy
As announced on SunSolve, there will be further changes to Sun's patch access policy. Access to the anonymous FTP server to download patches will cease from August 2006. Additionally, any access to Sun patches without a Service Plan will require a "Sun Online Account" and the acceptance of the Software License Agreement from mid July 2006. See: http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-82023-1 http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-83061-1 Personal sidenote: My local Sun dealer and Sun Austria have failed to prolong my support contract althou...

[Newbie] changing allocated memory
the only arg to a class is a string : VALUE target_path internally i redefine this input var sometime, not always. if it's redefine i get something like that : /Users/yvon/Desktop/raliasrecord-0.0.1 <= input /Users/yvon/work/Ruby/Native/raliasrec <= output where the output should be : /Users/yvon/work/Ruby/Native/raliasrecord-0.0.1 this string being passed by a pointer, how do i reallocate memory for it ? using another internal var ? is their a cleaner/clever way ? -- une b�vue Une b=E9vue wrote: > the only arg to a class is a string : > > VALUE target_path > &...

Apple change their notification policy?
Okay, I ordered a 24" iMac and the new airport router. I got to wondering why I got no notification of them, not even a confirmation email on the order. I *know* they have my address, but it has worked in the past for other orders, and I get the little marketing blurb stuff from them periodically. (Yes, I could turn it off probably). Well anyway, luckily I had printed the order page when I submitted it, so I went and the order status lookup on the web and sure enough not only is the order in the system, but the iMac itself has already shipped, the base station is supposed to ...

Change focus policy in application
Here is my problem. My application can't catch keyboard events when there is a VkGenericDialog poped up as a postAndWait if the cursor is not on this dialog. I'm using the Motif Window Manager with the default focus policy set to "Point to type". I tried XtAddGrab to redirect outside events to my dialog like this : VkDialogManager::VkDialogReason VkMyGenericDialog::postAndWait ( const char *message, int ok, int cancel, ...

Game (UK) policy change
Just discovered that Game no longer operate a 10-day returns policy for PC software. On phoning their customer service, I was given the usual guff; "We can't treat customers differently from one another". "Why not?" I asked, "surely an individual branch manager could be allowed to use his discretion if he thought a particular customer was abusing the facility?" "Not possible", I was told. Net result; one customer lost for ever, one Reward Card returned. By the way, is there anywhere now in UK who still accepts returns? Regards Pa...

Changing Network Policy for a PC?
I have an old work Laptop for my personal use with company Windows 2000 on it. I would like to update it Network Policy restriction prevent downloads. Is there a way to change the Policy setting on this laptop to allow me full access ? I am already administrator on the PC. thank you ...

Changes in Apple support policy?
Has Apple changed their support policy? About a month ago, I had a problem with the Contacts App, and Apple support worked the whole issue with me. Today, I am having a Mail problem on my 2010 iMac, running Mountain Lion, and when I tried to contact Apple support, my only option was to pay $19 for a support call or chat? What is going on? On 2014-07-08 14:23:30 +0000, David Fritzinger said: > Has Apple changed their support policy? About a month ago, I had a > problem with the Contacts App, and Apple support worked the whole issue > with me. Today, I am having a Mail pr...

changing "Policies" on an HP4M
I've got an HP4M which runs PS level 2. I've run into the perennial A4/Letter problem. I have to make Letter-size files for a US client, but my printer is A4 only. I don't like to resize in the application as I'm bound to forget and send the wrong size file sooner or later and that would be a very expensive mistake. So I have to press the "Continue" button for each printout. On perusing this group I found many posts on the subject over the years. The most elegant solution was to change the Policies. So I inserted the code as below in the prolog (this is generated by...

Change default allocation of std::string
Dear NG, I would like to change the allocator of e.g. all std::strings, without changing my code. Is there a portable solution to achieve this? The only nice solution I can think of, would be a namespace and another typedef to basic_string: namespace my_string { typedef std::basic_str<...> string; .... } but in this case I'd have to replace all std::string's with my_string::string what is not possible right now. Any ideas? Thanks, regards, Patrick > I would like to change the allocator of e.g. all std::strings, without > changing my code. Is there a por...

Random failure to connect
At irregular intervals, about three times a month, I am unable to connect to the web. Upon checking the Event Viewer's Security folder I get the following error message: "Failure Audit under the category of Policy Change. Looking at the event's properties the Failure Audit Properties box lists the following description: IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interface on the machine. (blah, blah etc) Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to furter diagnose the problem". Well my computer, running Win XP home, doesn't have anything like IPSec...

efficiency change by dynamic allocation in microprocessor
Question> Hi, I should make scientific program which use linea alebra with so man matrixs. I would like to know whether it is good to make matrix class using dynami memory allocation (new/delete or malloc/free) or using two-D arrays wit fixed (big enough)size? of course, my focus is efficiency in terms of speed. How much I would experience speed down if I use matrix class using dynami allocation? If the quantity of speed down is big enough, where can I get some usefu information about matrix computation in embedded system? c.f.> I already made matrix class using new/delete and am usi...

Contiguous allocation of multi-dimensional vector
Hi, We've been having a discussion at work and I'm wondering if anyone here would care to offer an opinion or alternative solution. Aparently in the C programming HPC community it is common to allocate multidimentional arrays like so: int *v_base = (int *) malloc(1000000*sizeof(int)); int **v = (int **) malloc(1000*sizeof(int *)); for(int i=0;i<1000;i++) { v[i] = v_base+(i*1000); } The logic behind this is that the entire multi-dimensional array will be contiguous in memory and therefore it is more likely that the whole array will be loaded in to cache, improving access t...

large contiguous kernel memory allocation
Is it possible to allocate large contiguous kernel memory? If yes how and if not why? mujoo <amujoo@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is it possible to allocate large contiguous kernel memory? If yes how > and if not why? define "large" , tell us what environment you are talking about. -- Peter H�kanson IPSec Sverige ( At Gothenburg Riverside ) Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out, remove "icke-reklam" if you feel for mailing me. Thanx. by large i mean about 10 MB in linux mujoo &l...

Local User Policy Changes are lost
I have taken over an existing network and are having a problem with a Win 2K client on an NT 4.0 domain. Both the client Computer and User are included in the NTConfig.pol in the NETLOGON share, but when user logs on the Sys Policy settings are ignored. When I connect to the workstation, I can see that the Local Sys Policy settings are completely different than what I have set up in the ntconfig.pol. While still connected, I make the neccessary changes, save and disconnect; but those changes are also ignored as soon as user logs off and then back on. I know I can create a new user...