TAR: tape blocksize error

Hi All,

When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
error,like this:

tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
Tar: tape blocksize error

Any idea how to list the content of the tape?

Thanks

comp.sys.hp.hpux 4408 articles. 1 followers. dewi.bening (7) is leader. Post Follow

Did you write the tape ?  Could have been written in another blocksize by
someone else.  Also, is the tape compatible with the drive, e.g. is it a
DDS4 tape in a DDS3 drive. The drives read older tapes, but not the
otherway.  A DDS4 drive will write/read a DDS4 and lower tape. Conversely a
DDS3 drive cannot do anything with a DDS4 tape.  That might show as a block
size error.
"CC" <colingcameron@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
> error,like this:
>
> tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
> Tar: tape blocksize error
>
> Any idea how to list the content of the tape?
>
> Thanks

0
Steve
10/20/2005 2:44:28 AM
[Late response due to extended absence.]

On September 28, CC <colingcameron@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
> error,like this:
>
> tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
> Tar: tape blocksize error
>
> Any idea how to list the content of the tape?
>
> Thanks

  Please let us know if you still need help with this. If so, *when* do
you get this error, directly or at the end? Does tar do *anything* or
does it just give this error? Is this a tape written on HP-UX or on
another platform? If the latter, on which?
0
Frank
10/20/2005 7:04:44 AM
"Steve" <h90943@hotmail.commie> wrote:

>Did you write the tape ?  Could have been written in another blocksize by
>someone else.  Also, is the tape compatible with the drive, e.g. is it a
>DDS4 tape in a DDS3 drive. The drives read older tapes, but not the
>otherway.  A DDS4 drive will write/read a DDS4 and lower tape. Conversely a
>DDS3 drive cannot do anything with a DDS4 tape.  That might show as a block
>size error.
>"CC" <colingcameron@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> When I want to list the content of a tape, it give me a block size
>> error,like this:
>>
>> tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m
>> Tar: tape blocksize error
>>
>> Any idea how to list the content of the tape?
>>
>> Thanks

Generally if you try to put a DDS4 tape ina DDS3 drive it will eject
it almost immediately.

You could try dd to dump out the first few blocks. Should give you an
idea of the block size, then specify this block size to tar.

Ted.
| Ted Linnell                 <edlinnell@acslink.net.au>     |
|                                  |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia                           |
Ted

UX:tar: ERROR: Tape write error: I/O error
Hi, I'm having a problem where the above error messages appears after 30 seconds when trying to perform a tar/cpio backup. I have replaced the DAT drive with a new unit and also installed a new adaptec 29160 controller. The scsi cable and terminator have also been replaced and the kernal relinked but the error still appears. The following errors are also logged in the osmlog. WARNING: Tape Driver: HA 0 TC 0 LU 0 - CHECK CONDITION: WARNING: TaA "MEDIUM ERROR" condition has been detected. WARNING: Tape Driver: HA 0 TC 0 LU 0 - CHECK CONDITION: WARNING: TaA "MEDI...

hp-ux tar --- getting 'error! blocksize changed' while extracting
I am using hp-ux 11.11. I had tarred up a directory of 1 gb into 2 (spanned) tar files using tar -cvf mytar.tar <directory to tar>. While tarring, there was no space left in the partion where the tar file was being written, so I got a prompt to enter a new location. The rest of the files got tarred into another file (mytar_2.tar)in another partition. Now I have 2 files mytar.tar in one partition and mytar_2.tar in another partition. Now when I try to extract using tar -xvf mytar.tar, I get the following error after extracting all the files in mytar.tar (it is not extracting the files f...

Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED
Having major trouble with 2 brand new HP Dat72 tape drive on Openserver 6 on 2 different servers. HP Proliant ML370 G4 HP Internal DAT72 Errors I get # tar tvf /dev/rmt/ctape0 tar: tape read error read: I/O error # tar tvf /dev/rStp0 tar: tape read error read: I/O error # Microlite BackupEdge backs up, but fails verify, citing next volume and no media detected errors. >From /var/adm/syslog Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp WARNING: Tape Driver: HA 3 TC 3 LU 0 - CHECK CONDITION: Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp Jul 28 10:57:48 powgrp WARNING: TaA "RESERVED" condition has been detected. Jul 28 10...

Re: Openserver 6 HP DAT72 Problems tar: tape read error TaA RESERVED
Top Posted for brevity. We've seen this before, and passed it along to HP. I've also forwarded a copy of this posting to my contact at HP tape storage engineering. The symptom is: All programs, i.e. dd, tar, cpio, edge, etc. appear to write successfully. However, on read, the drive returns a message indicating the media is blank. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that we've only seen it occur on the newer DAT 40 and DAT 72 drives that are RoHS compliant. Tom D. Thomas Podnar Microlite Corporation 2315 Mill Street Aliquippa PA USA 15001-2228 724-375-6711 888-2...

skipping tape errors with tar?
I'm just trying to read some old 60MB QIC tapes with a 150MB SCSI QIC drive. I know the drive works, however with a lot of the tapes I hit read errors - after several of these tar gives up with: tar: Too many errors, quitting tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now Question is, is there a way of skipping the errors and continuing to read? I've tried the '--ignore-failed-read' option to tar, but it makes no difference. I don't know how tar archives work internally though; is it just that tar really has no way of recovering after hitting several errors in successio...

HP Colorado Backup Tape Error
I am using an external HP Colorado Backup II 8GBe Travan tape drive. Recently it will only run for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes it appears hung up and stalled. It will remain stalled for about 10 minutes and then report "An error occurred while writing the backup data. A defective or damaged area was detected on the media. .... (08-03-23-01-1191)" I have tried using a new tape cartridge and it makes no difference. I tried backing up different directories and if it finishes in 20 minutes then there are no problems. If the Backup is in the verify stage after 20 minutes then...

HP Colorado Backup Tape Error
I am using an external HP Colorado Backup II 8GBe Travan tape drive. Recently it will only run for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes it appears hung up and stalled. It will remain stalled for about 10 minutes and then report "An error occurred while writing the backup data. A defective or damaged area was detected on the media. .... (08-03-23-01-1191)" I have tried using a new tape cartridge and it makes no difference. I tried backing up different directories and if it finishes in 20 minutes then there are no problems. If the Backup is in the verify stage after 20 mi...

cannot read tar archive from tape: directory checksum error
Hi I have a tar archive spanning over two tapes. The tapes are DDS-1 tapes and an old Irix indigo with a tape drive has been used in the past to read/write from and to these tapes. I recently wanted to recover some data from these two tapes, but when I issued the command irix>tar xpf /dev/tape /tmp I get the following error: tar: directory checksum error the same with the command to simply read the data back to stdin: irix> tar tvf /dev/tape I know that /dev/tape is pointing to the right tape device. I also tried to out the other tape first i.e. if the tar archive spans over two ...

[ace-bugs] Compilation Error on HPUX (HP RISC) with -AP option
--0016364edd44a242f70469c9b218 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: HPUX (HP RISC) oslevel: HP-UX **** B.11.11 U 9000/800 514766536 unlimited-user license TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): Compiler : aCC aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.55 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE #define ACE_USES_IPV4_IPV6_MIGRATION 1 #define ACE_HAS_IPV6 1 ...

(1) tar to x.tar; bzip2; (2) How to write x.tar.bz2 to tape?
I read somewhere that for a huge tar backup, it's better (or might be better) to do the tar to a on-disk file, and THEN to write that tar-file to the tape. How to write a file to a magtape? All the examples I've seen do it via path to tape within a tar command, or within a ufsdump command. But how to write a file, or three files, say, to a magtape. That, I've never seen an example of. (Could it be that you use tar to do that -- ie tar a tar-file to the tape? Or pax? Or maybe dd even? Or maybe a "write" statement in sh?) A little education I shou...

Read/write errors with new HP DAT 72 SCSI tape drive
A few days ago I installed new HP DAT 72 internal SCSI tape drive in a machine running Solaris 8 x86. It is attached to an Adaptec 29160N SCSI host bus adapter using the cable and terminator supplied with the tape drive; there are no other devices attached. The DIP switches were left at the factory default setting. I edited /kernel/drv/st.conf to add the following line: "HP C7438A", "HP DAT72 4mm DAT", "HPdds3", The following HPdds3 data entry was alredy in the file and matches what HP recommends in the Unix configuration guide supp...

[Q] Reading a HP-UX tar archive tape using solaris 2.6
Hi all, I need to read back data on a tape that was made 7..8 years ago on a HP-UX system 9.05 or 10.20, I can't remember. However our HP-UX systems are gone. I only own a Solaris 2.6 machine. When I try to read using tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0mn I always get the following tar blocksize = 2 directory checksum error I have learned 'through the internet' that the basic block size is not the same for solaris 2.6 as it is for HP-UX. For Solaris 512 bytes ? For HP-UX 10240 bytes ? Anyway if I do the following: "od -c /dev/rmt/0mb" the octal dump is saying something like "...

tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors ?!
hi ng, I tried to backup my archive with "tar -cvzf archiv.tar.gz /archiv" for my first time. But after about 2 hours the maessage appeared: "tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors" What may this mean and how my I prevent this? thnxalot for any hints! suxs wrote: > I tried to backup my archive with "tar -cvzf archiv.tar.gz /archiv" > for my first time. But after about 2 hours the maessage appeared: > "tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors" What may this mean and > how my I prevent this? I usually see this...

tar / lone-tar error messages gwxlibs
We have a new system with OS 5.0.7 and UP 5 installed. When we do backups using either Lone Tar or just plain tar we get error messages about the maximun path length of a linked file being too long (over 170). First tried verifying the system. Errors were found, but fixing those did not correct the problem. All the errors occur with links in the hierarchy /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/ 1.2.1. And, in all cases these point to files in /opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/ 2.x.x. This system will likely be quite stable and will not be doing any open source development. While it would be fascinating to find the caus...

Web resources about - TAR: tape blocksize error - comp.sys.hp.hpux

EB82 – Mike Hearn - Blocksize Debate At The Breaking Point - YouTube
Support the show, consider donating: 3Pxbqsv8AJgn68HoZ5jAz5otxWwJSisLPs (http://bit.ly/1Qt8fMk) Whether the block size should be increased to ...

EB82 – Mike Hearn - Blocksize Debate At The Breaking Point by Epicenter Bitcoin - Free Listening on SoundCloud ...
Support the show, consider donating: 3Pxbqsv8AJgn68HoZ5jAz5otxWwJSisLPs (http://bit.ly/1Qt8fMk) Whether the block size should be increased to ...

The Bitcoin Blocksize Blackjack Mining Blues
Bitcoin: it’s at a crucially important crossroads; it’s approaching a crisis that threatens its very existence; it has never been more likely ...

Trivial File Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trivial File Transfer Protocol ( TFTP ) is a file transfer protocol notable for its simplicity. It is generally used for automated transfer of ...

1000 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
By the SI writing style , a comma or a space can be used to as a Thousands separator , i.e., to separate the digits of a number every power of ...

If the Beatles were programmers... - Funny Shit
Eleanor Rigby Sits at the keyboard And waits for a line on the screen Lives in a dream Waits for a signal Finding some code That will make the ...

DangerRuss Things
It's often said: "Anyone can write a crypto algorithm they can't break themselves". True enough, but it's a Catch-22 to say one shouldn't write ...

【medical-news】Lancet Oncol:腺病毒载体定位靶基因联合更昔洛韦可延长胶质母细胞瘤患者的复发时间 - 医药生命科学动态跟踪 -丁香园论坛
Adenovirus-mediated gene therapy with sitimagene ceradenovecfollowed by intravenous ganciclovir for patients with operable high-gradeglioma (ASPECT):a ...

DCPCrypt HMAC / PBKDF1 / PBKDF2 - keit
... , Math ; function RPad ( x : string ; c : Char ; s : Integer ) : string ; var i : Integer ; begin Result : = x ; if Length ( x ) blocksize then ...