Why doesn't HPUX 10.2 Auditing Work?

I have setup auditing using SAM and told it to monitor sucess and failure
for "chown,chmod...etc.." Then I enabled auditing and as a user without
permissions to access the file, tried to modify the permissions using
chmod and chown (on /etc/group). When I go and view the logs using the SAM
GUI, it shows no even for the action. Is this a known problem with HPUX
logging? Or am I missing something? Why would HP include the tool if it
doesn't work? I have a non-technical user who needs to be able to "point
and click" to SAM and then check the audit logs for various activities.
Can anyone steer me in the direction of how to get auditing to work
properly using SAM? We need to monitor failed/successfull logins, system
file access attempts and password changes (amoung other things).

	Any help would be appreciated!

		-Celtic
0
Celtic
11/6/2003 6:53:43 PM
comp.sys.hp.hpux 4398 articles. 6 followers. dewi.bening (7) is leader. Post Follow

Help prolog "NEWBIE" #2
Hi guys! I need a hand from anyone that knows something about prolog , I will have an oral test where I had to explain this project. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Define a predicate in PROLOG call averStud that applied on a student ID number 'Matr' and on a list of exams LE give as result the average AV of his votes. Every exam shuold be represented by a term of list LE like the following form ' exam(Matr,Exam,Vote).' ------------------------------------------------------------------------- i have the solution , but i nee...

Openssh 3.7.1 HPUX 11.x
This question seems quite FAQish and I'm mining the back posts in Google etc but can't quite pin this down. I upgraded an HPUX box's OpenSSH from a patched 3.0.x (where forwarding was working)to 3.7.1 (where it's not). It appears I have the requisite X11 forwarding turned on in sshd_config: eg X11Forwarding yes. Forwarding from the client side (used in testing) is enabled as well. The current observed behavior is DISPLAY's contents are set to "localhost..." now instead ofthe old "actualhost...". This is expected/correct behavior and I've read a...

sendmail stopped working
Hi, My ISP requires customers to use SMTP-AUTH to send outgoing emails, and I had successfully configured my server to authenticate. However, it has suddenly stopped working! A quick examination of the ISP's MX record showed the following(-ish; names changed to protect the guilty): $ dig mail.isp.com mx ; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> mail.isp.com mx ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 32759 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 10 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;mail.isp.com. ...

NPF blocking IE access to the web after 10 minutes
Hi All, This is a bit of a ramble 'cause I want you to have the whole picture. The actual issue is in the last four paragraphs. My Win2K setup was totally trashed last Tuesday - Registry files went missing/corrupted. And this with a ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and Norton's Anti-Virus 2001 (with updated signatures) running. So I can't tell if a virus did me in or if it was just a fluke. But I took the opportunity to install Norton System Works 2004 (to check out the health of my HD) and Norton's Personal Firewall. The System works includes NAV2004 btw so if I was the victim of a v...

To all FFT guru's (2048 point FFT on Virtex 2 pro)
Hello FFT guru's I am implementing 2048 point FFT on Virtex as a part of my small project at uni. i want to put couple of questions.. please help me to your best as i am a starter...:) I have gone through couple of IEEE papers and i have found that i should use (Mixed Radix alg).i.e. like Radix4 and Radix2 butterflies to implement this algorithm. i have an understanding to use total of 6 stages...i.e. 5 stages of Radix-4 and 1 stage of Radix-2 operations. Question 1. Is the aforementioned technique the best in terms of speed and area that operation will acquire.? Ans----> Question ...

Limitation of Connections from source IP to Linux 2.2?
I'm using an old Kernel version 2.2 on a server and the number of connections is increasing and increasing. Sometimes on high traffic I can't connect anymore to this server via localhost. And this on all open ports (SMTP/POP3/IMAP/HTTP): Connection refused. All IPs accessable from outside are working, the problem apears only on localhost. Is there somewhere a limit of max connections within a time? Thanks Teddy ...

No of CPU in T2000 with Solaris 10
Dear all, The T2000 with one T1 CPUs will see 32 CPUs in OS (i.e. 8 cores, each could run 4 threads concurrently). A single thread program could only use about 6% of processor resources in this system. Is it possible to reduce the concurrent threads to 1 from 4, in order to increase the processor resource for single thread program? Please correct me if I am wrong, I am used to AIX system and I think the mult-threading could be disabled, just like the SMT in AIX . Thanks! Henry "kaming" <busilogicoo@gmail.com> writes: > The T2000 with one T1 CPUs will see 32 CPUs in OS (...

converting tdm to lvm/ working with large amount of data
I use a PCI 6251 card for data aquisition, and labview version 8;&nbsp;to&nbsp;log&nbsp;5 channels at 100 Khz for approximately 4-5 million samples on each channel&nbsp;(the more the better). I use the express VI for reading and writing data which is strored in .tdm format (file size of the .tdx file is around 150 MB). I did not store it in lvm format to reduce the time taken to aquire data. &nbsp; 1. how do i convert this binary file to a .mat file&nbsp;? &nbsp; 2. In another approach, &nbsp;I converted the tdm file into lvm format, this works as long as the f...

Art's dostats utility for HPUX
Hi Can someone please do me a favour. I need the latest dostats utility (executable binary) for HPUX 10.20, 11 and 11.11 This should run for the IDS versions 7.3x, 9.x U, F and H versions. Some time ago I tried to compile from the source on the IIUG website but after a lot of efforts I had to give up. I have already asked Art Kagel but unfortunately he hasn't got the HPUX versions so he advised me to post this to the group. He also told me to ask for a -static link and to specify 32, 64, and 32/64 bit mode executable. My e-mail address : ilhan.erden@dhl.com Thanks in adv...

Alchemy Eye PRO 10.4
Alchemy Eye PRO is a system management tool that continuously monitors server availability and performance. In the event of network errors, Alchemy Eye can alert the network administrator by cell phone or pager BEFORE problems get seriously out of hand. This helps protect your company's data and reduces the likelihood of costly network failures. If a server goes down, Alchemy Eye automatically notifies the network administrator and writes a detailed log file. More Info: http://www.alchemy-lab.com/products/eye/pro.html?c=archive Download URL: http://www.alchemy-lab.com/products/ey...

Re: Server Details Using Pipe Statement #2
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 04:21:02 -0500, Steve Lolay <stevenlolay@BANKOFSCOTLAND.CO.UK> wrote: >Hi Everyone > >I am writing some code which produces a list of files (sas datasets, xls, >csv, etc) on our server to aid housekeeping. I have got details such as >pathname and last modified date but is it possible to get the other >details which you can see in windows explorer. > >It would really help if I could get details such as last accessed date, >owner & date created which are available in Windows explorer. > >Any help as usual would be most welcome Yes,...

16:10 aspect ratio for linux, beos and windows with Sony 23? SDM-P232?
Hello, I am not too familiar with video hardware etc., so please excuse me if it's kind of a newbie question. I am planning to buy the Sony 23? SDM-P232 LCD. I have one win 2000 PC and will probably upgrade it to the ATI all-in-wonder 9800, so I suppose I should not have problems have those two work together. However, I am using a KVM switch (MasterView Plus CS 138A) and I am running several Linux boxes, in text mode as well as with KDE, and also one box with BEOS. My question is will I run in to problems using the LCD monitor with Linux text mode/KDE or BEOS, since it has the 16:10 aspe...

RE: Dbexport failure #2
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C436D1.F5E978C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" were there any changes to the environment variables?, make sure FET_BUF_SIZE or BIG_FET_BUF_SIZE environment variables are not set when you do a dbexport. i used to get some errors with dbexport on HP UX and informix 9.3, it turned out that dbexport utility was sensitive to the above env variables, had to unset these environment variables befo...

Elemental: War of Magic #2
Posted my preview today: http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/08/07/preview-elemental-war-of-magic-pc/ Anyone looking forward to this game? It's coming out August 24. On 2010-08-07, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote: > Posted my preview today: http://www.gamestooge.com/2010/08/07/preview-elemental-war-of-magic-pc/ > > Anyone looking forward to this game? It's coming out August 24. I *was* looking forward to it a couple of years ago, but it drifted off my radar. It's great that it's finally getting released. Thanks for bringing it up. Incide...

Scripts on HPUX
Dear all, I'd like to write scripts to interact with the Oracle server to perform some easy but routine tasks. What specifically area is that? Unix scripting, sql or oracle dba? Any keyword or information that I can look for in the internet? Thanks a lot, Alex This forum is fine for that purpose. What specific questions do you have? Here's a korn shell script skeleton that can invoke sqlplus. You have to have appropriate os permissions of course to run something like this and many shops have policies regarding setup of jobs like these (perhaps only run thru a scheduling package...

Re: reverse loop #2
Dirk, Reverse loops work fine, but you have to specify a BY value since the default is +1 (do j=3D200 to 1 by -1) HTH, Dennis Diskin On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:56:31 Z, Dirk Nachbar <Dirk.Nachbar@dwp.gsi.gov.uk> wrote: > > dear all > > apparently SAS won't do a reverse loop (do j=3D200 to 1). Do I need to > re-reverse the index (by sorting) or is there a simple way? > > Dirk Nachbar > Assistant Economist > Pensim2 > Department for Work and Pensions > Level 4, The Adelphi > 1-11 John Adam St > WC2N 6HT London > 020 796 28531 > *************...

How does setpatch work?
Anyone here know how setpatch actually works? I dont mean what are the command line options etc. But how does it work? Kickstart is in ROM, the Amiga hardware is designed to boot off kickstart. I'm guessing it loads as usual, enough drivers to access the hard disk and run the set-patch command. I guess the Kickstart ROM code loads some function jump table into RAM. Set-patch loads OS patches into RAM also and then modifies this jump table. What I am curious about is the structure of this table (if there is one) and approximately how it works. If someone can point me to...

Open relay #2
Hello, I have a Red Hat 7.1 install using sendmail 8.11.6-25. It is the most updated version available for RedHat 7.1. The issue with the open relay has to do with njabl.org testing open relays based on obscure rcpt to syntax. I have included the text below of the email test they used. The relaytestsend%rr.nhable.org@ format appears to convert to relaytest@rr.njabl.org?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. MAIL FROM:<relaytestsend@rt.njabl.org> <<< 250 2.1.0 <relaytestsend@rt.njabl.org>... Sender ok RCPT TO:<relaytest%rr.njabl.org@> <<< 250 2.1.5 <rel...

US-TX-Austin: Product Eng., BSEE with 2.5yrs working as a Product Eng.; Perm (45347857610)
US-TX-Austin: Product Eng., BSEE with 2.5yrs working as a Product Eng.; Perm (45347857610) ========================================================================================== Position: Product Eng. Reference: SMC01903 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: REQUIREMENTS: BSEE with 2.5 years working as a Product Engineer Scope: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Person will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of test and reliability hardware, validation of first si...

Hotel With $10 Surcharges For 10-Mile LD Calls -- Any Recourse?
I saw this posting in the newsgroup rec.arts.disney.parks and thought some of the local experts could advise this person on where she could effectively complain. The original subject of the message was: BEWARE OF RAMADA INN EASTGATE IN KISSIMMEE The calls-in-question were from the hotel to Walt Disney World -- less than 10 miles. Apparently, these are not local calls in Kissimmee. What sort of a rate could a hotel negotiate for these calls? What would be a fair and equitable rate for the hotel to charge customers for such calls? I'll provide a summary of responses to th...

Beige G3 upgrade to 10.3
I have a Beige G3 that I would like to upgrade to a OS X. It is an early version of G3, to which I have added an Orange Micro card that supports both USB and Firewire. I have a hefty hard drive. Where do I find out about hardware and software combinations that will help me to upgrade to OS 10.3? Lee Dickey In article <bri0ch$ukm$1@rumours.uwaterloo.ca>, Lee Dickey <ljdickey@math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote: > I have a Beige G3 that I would like to upgrade to a OS X. > It is an early version of G3, to which I have added an > Orange Micro card that supports both USB and Firewi...

Setting up a Fedora 10 box for routing
Any simple FAQ's for this on the net? I want to setup 2 boxes on ONE ip address with an ethernet switch and cable modem. asdasdas <dsfsdff@sdfsdf.com> writes: > Any simple FAQ's for this on the net? I want to setup 2 boxes on ONE > ip address with an ethernet switch and cable modem. That won't work. Two devices cannot share a single IP address. On 2009-02-21, Maxwell Lol <nospam@com.invalid> wrote: > > > asdasdas <dsfsdff@sdfsdf.com> writes: > >> Any simple FAQ's for this on the net? I want to setup 2 boxes on ONE >> ip a...

database startup problem #2
I have a windows service to start the database OracleService<SID> and it used to startup the database but now it the service status stays as "Starting", it won't start and I can't stop it also. Recently I installed mcafe anti virus and after that I think this stopped working. Anybody give me some ideas what and where to look? Thanks You'll get better ideas if you list the version of oracle and the OS. Start up a command prompt, type "path". You'll know the location of the oracle home by something along the lines of %PATH% including: D:\oracle\pro...

Sign up for a free StickyMinds.com Membership today #2
Sign up for a StickyMinds.com Membership today and you will automatically be entered to win a $50 Amazon.com gift certificate. Even with a new look, StickyMinds.com remains the most comprehensive online resource for helping you produce better software. Becoming a member definitely has its privileges! As a member, you will be able to connect with other members and experts on the Discussion Boards, comment on content and books, share your work with the industry by posting papers and templates, and more! You can even set up customized notifications of new content. Be a part of the StickyMinds...

Microsoft Quarterly Revenue Tops $10 Billion
Launch of Office 2003 and Strength in PC Market Fuels Demand for Desktop Software REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) today announced record revenue of $10.15 billion for the quarter ended Dec. 31, 2003, a 19% increase over $8.54 billion in the prior year. Operating income for the second quarter was $1.48 billion, compared to $2.23 billion in the prior year. Net income and diluted earnings per share for the second quarter were $1.55 billion and $0.14 per share. These results include stock based compensation expense of $2.17 billion (after...