Why doesn't HPUX 10.2 Auditing Work?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have setup auditing using SAM and told it to monitor sucess and failure
for "chown,chmod...etc.." Then I enabled auditing and as a user without
permissions to access the file, tried to modify the permissions using
chmod and chown (on /etc/group). When I go and view the logs using the SAM
GUI, it shows no even for the action. Is this a known problem with HPUX
logging? Or am I missing something? Why would HP include the tool if it
doesn't work? I have a non-technical user who needs to be able to "point
and click" to SAM and then check the audit logs for various activities.
Can anyone steer me in the direction of how to get auditing to work
properly using SAM? We need to monitor failed/successfull logins, system
file access attempts and password changes (amoung other things).

	Any help would be appreciated!

		-Celtic
0
Reply Celtic 11/6/2003 6:53:43 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.sys.hp.hpux 4384 articles. 6 followers. Post

Why doesn't HPUX 10.2 Auditing Work?
I have setup auditing using SAM and told it to monitor sucess and failure for "chown,chmod...etc.." Then I enabled auditing and as a user without permissions to access the file, tried to modify the permissions using chmod and chown (on /etc/group). When I go and view the logs using the SAM GUI, it shows no even for the action. Is this a known problem with HPUX logging? Or am I missing something? Why would HP include the tool if it doesn't work? I have a non-technical user who needs to be able to "point and click" to SAM and then check the audit logs for various activiti...

Program that worked in SuSE 10.0 doesn't work in SuSE 10.2
Hello NG, I have been trying to use a mesh generation program called LS Ingrid, but I get memory allocation errors as you can see below. I have never got such problems with SuSE 10.0 but I am getting them in SuSE 10.2. What default setting has changed between the versions that I should reverse? You can download the compiled binary here if you are handy with debugging and are so inclined :-). Unzip, chmod 555 it and run. http://rapidshare.com/files/10863002/ls-ingrid_linux.gz.html It doesn't require a license to run, and the error pops up even before you get prompted to supply an input f...

HPUX 10.2 and J2SE #2
Hi All, We have purchased Primavera Project Management Solution, which requires JRE1.4.2+ to run on a client side through a browser. From the hp.com site we were able to download the sdk, jpi and mozilla browser for HPUX 11.0 machines and able to install and run the same. But we are facing a problem installing the same on HPUX 10.20 machines.We have some 30 machines running HPUX 10.2. We are looking for JRE1.4.2+ for HPUX 10.2 amd JPI for HPUX10.2. We have located the Mozilla browser for HPUX 10.2. Can anyone provide any information on where to obtain the JDK 1.42+ and JPI to run on HPUX10...

My app work with HP34401A fw 1-1-1, but with 10-5-2,11-5-2 dosn't work. Why?
I write applicotion,which communicate with HP34401A over GPIB,but customer has HP34401A with later firmware version and application dost work. hi does your customer use the same GPIB - addr. ?? or did he change to serial ?? regards Werner hi, of course, customer use GPIB, and right address. I think,that some problem is in initialization module for HP34401A included in Labview 5.1. regards Tomas ...

xrcdemo by wxMac 2.6.2 doesn't work on MacOS X 10.2.8
I tried to compile wxMac 2.6.2 with following options. ../configure --disable-shared --with-mac --with-regex=builtin --enable-unicode And installed on MacOSX 10.2.8. But when I run "xrcdemo", it crashed with following console messages. Command: xrcdemo PID: 14584 Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000004 Thread 0 Crashed: #0 0x0006ba0c in wxMBConv::cWC2MB(wchar_t const*, unsigned long, unsigned long*) const (crt.c:300) #1 0x0000d194 in wxString::mb_str(wxMBConv&) const (crt.c:300) #2 0...

RE: xrcdemo by wxMac 2.6.2 doesn't work on MacOS X 10.2.8
Hi Apple has not provided wchar... libraries for 10.2.X Panther is the first system where you can build wx in unicode mode.=20 Best, Stefan=20 > -----Original Message----- > From: maloninc [mailto:hiroyuki@maloninc.com]=20 > Sent: Donnerstag, 22. September 2005 09:34 > To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org > Subject: xrcdemo by wxMac 2.6.2 doesn't work on MacOS X 10.2.8 >=20 >=20 > I tried to compile wxMac 2.6.2 with following options. >=20 > ./configure --disable-shared --with-mac --with-regex=3Dbuiltin=20 > --enable-unicode >=20 &g...

Work 2 Hrs at Net EARN 10,000/- Rs Above #2
HAI.......... Guys this web site s very useful to you........... How This site helps.......... how to earn money form online...... In this site, you wil earn more than 10000/- Rs per month.... its true ....... just login this site and << EARN MONEY >> www.freeonlinedollers.blogspot.com www.freedollers.blogspot.com ...

Work 2 Hrs at Net EARN 10,000/- Rs Above #2
HAI.......... Guys this web site s very useful to you........... How This site helps.......... how to earn money form online...... In this site, you wil earn more than 10000/- Rs per month.... its true ....... just login this site and << EARN MONEY >> www.freeonlinedollers.blogspot.com www.freedollers.blogspot.com ...

Firewire works in OS 10.4.11 but not 9.2.1 why? #2
Have blue and white G3 tower running OS 10.4.11 and 9.2.1. I got a used firewire LaCie 60 GB external hard drive and a LaCie firewire only DVD_RW external drive on ebay. They work great with OS 10.4.11 but when I boot into 9.2.1 to use some old apps I need to use from time to time the hard drive will not mount and Toast lite will not find the burner. (Yes I know I could be using classic) I looked in the extension manager and most things are turned on and all the items that refer to firewire are also on. What might be my problem? Is there a list of extension manager items somewhere on the web t...

Hack To Make Safari 1.2 Work On MacOS X 10.2.8
As the subject line says, I'm looking for a way to make Safari 1.2 work on my MacOS X 10.2.8 system. Does anyone know of one? Kurt Todoroff sharkone@aol.com Markets, not mandates and mob rule. Consent, not compulsion. In article <20041013223955.05051.00004862@mb-m24.aol.com>, Kurt R. Todoroff <sharkone@aol.comEMETELED> wrote: > As the subject line says, I'm looking for a way to make Safari 1.2 work on my > MacOS X 10.2.8 system. Does anyone know of one? The only hack I know of that will do this is called Mac OS X 10.3. -- Jerry Kindall, Seattle, W...

Can a software made for MacOS 10.3.x work also in 10.2.x?
Hi at all I'm sorry for the stupid question but I'm not a Mac expert so I'm tring to ask to people knowing more than me about this argument. I need to make an internet voice call (voip) with a person using a MacOS version 10.2.8 (I'm working with Windows at the moment). The Skype version for macos require as minimun version the 10.3 or higher than it seem not possible to use this version in a older 10.2 macos. I'm tring to find another voip pc-tp-pc software having multiplatform version for Windows and mac but I noticed that all these software for mac need the 10.3 version...

updating from OS 10.2. to 10.8--regular ways don't work!
Hello again folks-- I had to reinstall OS 10.2 today, and using Software Update won't work to install the latest Combo updates, so I can get back to OS 10.8. However, nothing else seems to work either. When I go to the Apple website to download the updates manually, they won't install either--I get an error message saying that *this update is not compatible*--or words to that effect. So, until I find a solution to this--I'm at 10.2. I have iLife 04 and I'd like to try and get it working--I had trouble with the previously, but I have some time this next week to work with it...

Update from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 stopped my Time Machine backups from working
Hi. Just now I upgraded my Mac from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3. I also use Time Machine to back up my Mac to an external drive and I've been using it for years. One result of the update from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3 is that I'm now unable to back up to my Time Machine drive. I successfully backed up to it earlier this afternoon at 3:17PM (it's now 4:32PM), but I'm now getting this error message: "Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to 'Time Machine Backup.' Files can't be copied onto the backup disk because it is read-only. You may need to repai...

xrcdemo by wxMac 2.6.1 doesn't work on MacOS X 10.2.8
I recently compile wxMac 2.6.1 with following options. ../configure --disable-shared --with-mac --with-regex=builtin --enable-unicode And installed on MacOSX 10.2.8. But when I run "xrcdemo", it crashed with following console messages. Command: xrcdemo PID: 12646 Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000004 Thread 0 Crashed: #0 0x0006ba14 in wxMBConv::cWC2MB(wchar_t const*, unsigned long, unsigned long*) const (crt.c:300) #1 0x0000d19c in wxString::mb_str(wxMBConv&) const (crt.c:300) #2 0x...

Upgraded Ubuntu -> 11.10, Python -> 2.7.2. Now psyco doesn't work?
I'm chasing down a bug that I think may be in my own code. But a fellow Pythoneer suspected that I might actually be looking at a bug in Python itself. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/f4b5843e2b06d1a6 Because I was using Python 2.6.6, and I was told that only bugs which affect language security will be fixed in older revisions, I was encouraged to try my code on Python 2.7.2. I was running Ubuntu Linux 10.10, on which Python 2.6.6 was the standard distribution. I succeeded in doing an "alternate install" of Python 2.7.2, over Ubuntu 10.10...

Virtual PC 6.1 on MAC OS X 10.2 Virtual Switch Works & Performance is excellent
System: Powermac 9600/300 - Sonnet Crescendo G4/450MHz/1MB 448MB RAM Hard Disks: Internal 4GB & 18GB SCSI Mac OS X 10.2.5 Network Cards: built-in 10Mbps, PCI 10/100Mbps Virtual PC 6.1 -> Windows NT 4.0, Win98, W2K I have been trying to get the virtual switch functionality to work in order to perform remote work over the internet via VPN. Using a shared ip-address does not work after the connection is established. After four months of on-again/off-again fighting this issue it is resolved. In my configuration I have two network interface cards. The 10Mbps built-in had been previously d...

Can't mount my MacOS X 10.3.9 shares from Windows 2000. It worked when I was running MacOS X 10.2.8.
I just recently migrated from a beige Power Macintosh G3 running MacOS X 10.2.8, to a Blue&White Power Macintosh G3 running MacOS X 10.3.9. Now,my wife's Windows 2000 machine is no longer able to access volumes that my Macintosh tries to share via Samba. In my smb.conf file, I have the following shares: [homes] comment = User Home Directories browseable = yes read only = no create mode = 0750 [ZZZZZZZZ] path = / read only = no valid users = BBBBB,SSSSSSS Where SSSSSSS is the username that my wife's machine i...

HPUX 10.2 and J2SE
Hi All, We have purchased Primavera Project Management Solution, which requires JRE1.4.2+ to run on a client side through a browser. From the hp.com site we were able to download the sdk, jpi and mozilla browser for HPUX 11.0 machines and able to install and run the same. But we are facing a problem installing the same on HPUX 10.20 machines.We have some 30 machines running HPUX 10.2. We are looking for JRE1.4.2+ for HPUX 10.2 amd JPI for HPUX10.2. We have located the Mozilla browser for HPUX 10.2. Can anyone provide any information on where to obtain the JDK 1.42+ and JPI to run on ...

Wine not working, Slackware 10.2
Clean install of Slackware 10.2. Wine 0.9.20. Downloaded slackware package. Installed with KPackage via KDE, no errors. I have several Windows apps that I used under Wine with Slackware 10.0. I right click on executable, select Wine Windows Emulator, I can see in the process table Wineserver, wine-preloader, and wineprefixcreator(?). Then they all go away, and nothing happens. It doesn't matter which windows executable I try. The three I've used sucessfully in the past is emule, totalcommander, and winmx. I've run emule and winmx 24/7 for a long time, it works(worked)...

Solaris 10 BSM Auditing help #2
Hello, I am new to Solaris 10 and I am seeking some assistance with the following auditing configuration in Solaris 10. 1. I would like to know if it is possible to edit the audit classes (lo,fm,ad, etc) on the fly via command line rather than having to edit the the audit_control file manually. The reason for this is that I am using RBAC and the security role has permissions to "audit review" and "audit control" but not to edit the audit_control file or stop/start/restart services. If there is another way around this, I am certainly open to alternative solutions. 2. I ...

missing system_profiler in 10.2, AppleSystemProfiler not working
Hi, I just installed Mac OS 10.2 software from the installation CDs. My problem is that I am unable to locate the system_profiler executable under the /usr/sbin folder. I have another Mac machine with version 10.2.6 on it and it does have the system_profiler executable. I am developing software for Mac OS 10.2.x that requires the presence of this executable. Can somebody tell me in which of the 10.2.x was system_profiler first introduced? The "/usr/sbin/system_profiler -xml" command has turned out to be pretty convenient for me as I can use a XML parser to parse its output and get...

AppleTalk works now in 10.6.2!!!
I can once again connect to my OS9 computer through "Connect to Server..." Yay! -- m-m http://www.mhmyers.com M-Mwrote: > I can once again connect to my OS9 computer through "Connect to > Server..." > > > Yay! > This is the first time I've heard that. Anyone else have experience with it? M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote: > I can once again connect to my OS9 computer through "Connect to > Server..." True, but that is not AppleTalk. 10.6 accidentally broke compatibility with the older version of AFP over TCP/IP which is...

6$ into $10 000? THIS REALLY WORKS!!!! #2
Subject: 6$ into $10 000? THIS REALLY WORKS!!!! From: Be Rich<be_rich@getmoney.com> Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.trumpet READ IT TILL THE END! THIS REALLY WORKS IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! MAKE MONEY!!!MAKE MONEY!!! MAKE THOUSANDS!!! I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it: I don't care about the useless pre-fabricated crap this message usually says. All I say is, it works. Continue pre-fab crap. WELL GUESS WHAT!!! Within seven days, I started getting money in the mail!! I was shocked!! I figured it would end soon, but the money just k...

6$ into $10 000? THIS REALLY WORKS!!!! #2
Subject: 6$ into $10 000? THIS REALLY WORKS!!!! From: Be Rich<be_rich@getmoney.com> Newsgroups: rec.music.makers.trumpet READ IT TILL THE END! THIS REALLY WORKS IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! MAKE MONEY!!!MAKE MONEY!!! MAKE THOUSANDS!!! I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it: I don't care about the useless pre-fabricated crap this message usually says. All I say is, it works. Continue pre-fab crap. WELL GUESS WHAT!!! Within seven days, I started getting money in the mail!! I was shocked!! I figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming ...

6$ into $10 000? THIS REALLY WORKS!!!! #2
READ IT TILL THE END! THIS REALLY WORKS IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!! MAKE MONEY!!!MAKE MONEY!!! MAKE THOUSANDS!!! I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it: I don't care about the useless pre-fabricated crap this message usually says. All I say is, it works. Continue pre-fab crap. WELL GUESS WHAT!!! Within seven days, I started getting money in the mail!! I was shocked!! I figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about $25.00. By the end of the second week I had made a total of more than $1000.00!! In the third week I had mo...