HP-110 & HP-150 Help on PAM files

Hello,

I finally got my HP-110 powered up today (it came without a
transformer, took ovr a year to find one at the right price), this is
a very laptop with a lead-acid battery (but as it is nearly 20 years
old it doesn't hold a full charge). It works OK, and actualy seems
similar to my HP-95LX handheld, but not quite as useful as it only has
Memowriter and Lotus 1-2-3 built in. Also it only has HP-IL interface
for adding a floppy drive, and I only have an HP-IB floppy - so its a
bit limited at the moment.

The following notes may help other HP-110 owners:

Switching on. If the battery is flat there is a warning displayed,
something like � memory corrupt, press f1 to reformat memory drive. So
you have to press f1 to boot it, then its OK again.

I found the battery started to slowly charge up (even if it is 20
years old). After removing power this small charge confused the power
on circuitry and prssing a keuy had no effect. Once I'd left it
unplugged for 30 minutes it was OK, and another time I unplugged the
power, remove battery cover and pressed button (don't know what this
actually does!),  then re-connect power. There is no on / off switch,
the unit is normally in standby mode, pressing a key switches it on.
If battery is flat it automatically switches on when power is applied.

The built in ROM help below refers to power, the function keys are
displayed in inverse video at the bottom of the display, so on PAM
main screen the right-most one (for f8 key) is labelled �off'.

Following taken from HP-110 Help screens

Installing Applications in P.A.M.

Additional applications can be added to the main P.A.M. screen by
editing or creating a PAM.MNU file in the root directory on the disc
where the application resides. Each entry in this file consists of two
lines:

o Line 1: The label that is to appear on the P.A.M. screen (14
characters max).

o Line 2: The DOS command to invoke the application.

Any line proceeded with a pound sign (#) is ignored and treated as a
comment.

For example:  #This entry is for the Buena Vista Newspaper accounting
program.
              Buena Vista
              ACCOUNT.COM

Turning Off the HP 110

The display can be turned off by pressing Off ([f8]) when the main
P.A.M. screen is on the display.

To conserve power, the display will automatically turn off when the
recharger is not connected. This automatic timeout occurs initially
after 5 minutes of inactivity. You can change this default of 5
minutes in the System Configuration menu ([f6] on the main P.A.M.
screen).

I think the PAM is the same as on the HP-150, so the above tip might
apply on that machine as well.

Open to comments & suggestions!
Regards,
John
0
john_junk
12/22/2004 11:21:20 PM
comp.sys.hp.misc 623 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow