USB 2.0 - USB 2.0 card very slow on Compaq Presario 2197

Hi all:

In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried
three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and
Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can
all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is
recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB
will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external
harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same
thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7
minutes. It is not as quick as a built-in USB 2.0 but still far better
than the speed I got on Compaq Presario.

I am using Windows XP (SP2). It happens even on a clean installation. I
have a 5v power adaptor but it doesn't help.

All the three cards work (harddrives can be recognized with a problem)
on the IBM laptop.

Can anybody help? Is this a problem with AMD? or Compaq?

Thanks.

Zhixin

0
zhixin_han
3/18/2005 1:41:27 AM
comp.sys.hp.misc 623 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

It sounds like the "external 2.5 harddisk with USB" only supports
USB 1.x to me. I have some flash drives that only work at USB 1.1
speeds. They have to state USB2, or the device won't operate at
480Mbps.

Just for reference, my USB2 external HD transfers just under 1GB per
minute.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

Date: 17 Mar 2005 17:41:27 -0800

Hi all:

[...]

Thanks.=20

Zhixin

0
BillW50
3/18/2005 2:22:06 AM
zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried
> three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and
> Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can
> all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is
> recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB
> will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external
> harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same
> thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7
> minutes. It is not as quick as a built-in USB 2.0 but still far better
> than the speed I got on Compaq Presario.
>
> I am using Windows XP (SP2). It happens even on a clean installation. I
> have a 5v power adaptor but it doesn't help.
>
> All the three cards work (harddrives can be recognized with a problem)
> on the IBM laptop.
>
> Can anybody help? Is this a problem with AMD? or Compaq?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Zhixin

I'd suggest checking the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section in the
Device Manager.  You should see at least one Enhanced Host Controller
entry properly configured if you expect to get high-speed operation at
the interface.

-Dave
0
David
3/18/2005 6:36:45 AM
David Kinsell <kinsell@poboxyz.com> wrote:
> zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried
> > three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and
> > Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can
> > all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is
> > recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB
> > will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external
> > harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same
> > thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7
> > minutes. It is not as quick as a built-in USB 2.0 but still far better
> > than the speed I got on Compaq Presario.
> >
> > I am using Windows XP (SP2). It happens even on a clean installation. I
> > have a 5v power adaptor but it doesn't help.
> >
> > All the three cards work (harddrives can be recognized with a problem)
> > on the IBM laptop.
> >
> > Can anybody help? Is this a problem with AMD? or Compaq?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > Zhixin
> >

> I'd suggest checking the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section in the
> Device Manager.  You should see at least one Enhanced Host Controller
> entry properly configured if you expect to get high-speed operation at
> the interface.

  Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it should
(AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a "USB 2.0 Root
Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is listed in the
*right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device tree which
does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what happened on my
(OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface and a
plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using the 1.1
tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0 interface,
and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working at 1.1 speed.  I had
to force-remove the wrong devices and force-install the drivers which
came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.

  I hope this helps.
0
Frank
3/18/2005 9:25:56 AM
Date: 18 Mar 2005 09:25:56 GMT

[...]

Interesting Frank! Did this happen under Windows XP?

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion 8655c under 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

0
BillW50
3/18/2005 11:53:46 AM
BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

> "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message news:423a9ea3$0$79962$dbd45001@news.wanadoo.nl...
> Date: 18 Mar 2005 09:25:56 GMT
>
>      Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it should
>      (AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a "USB 2.0
>      Root Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is listed in
>      the *right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device tree
>      which does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what happened on my
>      (OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface and a
>      plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using the 1.1
>      tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0
>      interface, and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working at 1.1
>      speed.  I had to force-remove the wrong devices and force-install the
>      drivers which came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.
>
>      I hope this helps.
>
> Interesting Frank! Did this happen under Windows XP?

  Yes. I should have said so. Sorry about that.
0
Frank
3/18/2005 2:37:50 PM
I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards, after I
plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the cards, Windows
would sometimes recognize the HD for a short moment, and then went
frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets and the ZoneNet card has a
VIA chipset, I later noticed.

I will try to check whether my external HD & DVD-RW are installed to
the right USB 2.0 tree.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> BillW50 <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:
> >
> > "Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> > Date: 18 Mar 2005 09:25:56 GMT
> >
> >      Indeed. Besides the "Enhanced Host Controller" device, it
should
> >      (AFAIK) also list a "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device and a
"USB 2.0
> >      Root Hub Device" device. Also make sure that your *disk* is
listed in
> >      the *right* (i.e. 2.0) device tree, not in another USB device
tree
> >      which does not have "2.0" devices in them. That is what
happened on my
> >      (OmniBook 6200) notebook, which has a built-in 1.1 interface
and a
> >      plugin (Sitecom) 2.0 interface. My external disk kept using
the 1.1
> >      tree/devices/drivers, even while it was plugged in on the 2.0
> >      interface, and, like yours, was slow, i.e. apparently working
at 1.1
> >      speed.  I had to force-remove the wrong devices and
force-install the
> >      drivers which came with the USB 2.0 card, to get things right.
> >
> >      I hope this helps.
> >
> > Interesting Frank! Did this happen under Windows XP?
>
>   Yes. I should have said so. Sorry about that.

0
zhixin_han
3/21/2005 2:50:56 AM
zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
> I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards, after I
> plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the cards, Windows
> would sometimes recognize the HD for a short moment, and then went
> frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets and the ZoneNet card has a
> VIA chipset, I later noticed.

  I had this problem (freezing when connecting hard-disk) when my
(Sitecom) USB 2.0 'PCMCIA' card used the driver whichs came with XP
instead of the drivers which came with the card. After force-installing
(XP didn't install the drivers on the Sitecom CD, even when pointed to
it) the drivers which came with the card, this freeze problem was gone.
So check (Properties -> Driver -> Driver Details...) *which* drivers are
installed for the devices listed in the 2.0 device tree. If it says
"Provider: Microsoft ...", then you probably have the wrong drivers.
0
Frank

I have installed the driver from VIA for my ZoneNet card and it is
still the same thing. Right-clicked on "VIA USB2.0 Enhanced Host
Controller" in the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree in Device
Manager, and then Properties->Driver->Driver Details, I didn't see a
tree but a list of files such as:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\vulfnth.sys (Provider: VIA Technologies,
INc)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll

Only the file vulfnth.sys is from VIA, others are from Microsoft.

So I didn't find a USB 2.0 tree. I am wondering how I can get the tree.

Thanks for your help.

Zhixin

Frank Slootweg wrote:
> zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards,
after I
> > plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the cards,
Windows
> > would sometimes recognize the HD for a short moment, and then went
> > frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets and the ZoneNet card has
> > VIA chipset, I later noticed.
>
>   I had this problem (freezing when connecting hard-disk) when my
> (Sitecom) USB 2.0 'PCMCIA' card used the driver whichs came with XP
> instead of the drivers which came with the card. After
force-installing
> (XP didn't install the drivers on the Sitecom CD, even when pointed
> it) the drivers which came with the card, this freeze problem was
gone.
> So check (Properties -> Driver -> Driver Details...) *which* drivers
are
> installed for the devices listed in the 2.0 device tree. If it says
> "Provider: Microsoft ...", then you probably have the wrong drivers.

0
zhixin_han
3/26/2005 1:50:03 PM
[Re-arranged. Please bottom/interleaved post.]

zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
> Frank Slootweg wrote:
> > zhixin_han@hotmail.com wrote:
> > > I forgot to mention that for the Belkin and Dynex PCMCIA cards,
> > > after I plug the Acomdata External HD into the USB ports on the
> > > cards, Windows would sometimes recognize the HD for a short
> > > moment, and then went frozen. These two cards have NEC chipsets
> > > and the ZoneNet card has a VIA chipset, I later noticed.
> >
> >   I had this problem (freezing when connecting hard-disk) when my
> > (Sitecom) USB 2.0 'PCMCIA' card used the driver whichs came with XP
> > instead of the drivers which came with the card. After
> > force-installing (XP didn't install the drivers on the Sitecom CD,
> > even when pointed to it) the drivers which came with the card, this
> > freeze problem was gone.  So check (Properties -> Driver -> Driver
> > Details...) *which* drivers are installed for the devices listed in
> > the 2.0 device tree. If it says "Provider: Microsoft ...", then you
> > probably have the wrong drivers.
>
> Hi,
>
> I have installed the driver from VIA for my ZoneNet card and it is
> still the same thing. Right-clicked on "VIA USB2.0 Enhanced Host
> Controller" in the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree in Device
> Manager, and then Properties->Driver->Driver Details, I didn't see a
> tree but a list of files such as:

  With "tree", I mean the *device* tree, not a *drivers* tree.

  For example my USB 2.0 looks like this in the Device Manager, after I
open the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" tree by clicking on the "+"
icon in front of it:

- \ -> Universal Serial Bus controllers

  | -> USB 2.0 Host Controller
  |
  | -> USB 2.0 Root Hub Device

  For *each* of these (in my case two) devices, you can do Properties ->
Driver -> Driver Details. In my case *all* drivers/files listed are not
by Microsoft (but by OWC, OrangeWare Coporation).

> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dirvers\usbport.sys
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\vulfnth.sys (Provider: VIA Technologies,
> INc)
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll
>
> Only the file vulfnth.sys is from VIA, others are from Microsoft.
>
> So I didn't find a USB 2.0 tree. I am wondering how I can get the tree.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Zhixin

  I had exactly these driver/file names (except of course for
vulfnth.sys) when I still had the wrong drivers! So I again advise you
to *force-install* the drivers which came with the card.

  Force-install can be difficult, because often XP thinks it knows
better and still installs the Microsoft stuff. What worked for me is
this procedure (note that the *names* of the devices/drivers/files/
directories may/will be different for you):

[Start quote:]
Following procedure worked to install the "USB 2.0 Host Controller"
and "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" devices with the OWC drivers:
Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> "NEC PCI to USB
Enhanced Host Controller (B1)" -> Driver -> Update Driver... -> Welcome
to the Hardware Update Wizard -> * Install from a list or specific
location (Advanced) -> Next -> * Don't search. I will choose the driver
to install. -> Next -> in the "Model" list, the following are displayed:
NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Open Host Controller (B1)
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB 2.0 Host Controller
select "USB 2.0 Host Controller" and Have Disk... and set "Copy
manufacturer's file from:" to the C:\Sitecom\Drivers\USB 2.0 directory.
-> Next
This will install the "USB 2.0 Host Controller" device (with OWC
drivers/software cbuninst.exe, ousb2hub.sys and ousbehci.sys).  After
that, the "Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard" (note "New") will
be started, saying "The wizard helps you install software for: USB 2.0
Root Hub Device" -> * Install from a list or specific location
(Advanced) -> Next -> * Don't search. I will choose the driver to
install. -> Next -> in the "Model" list, the following is displayed:
USB 2.0 Root Hub Device
select "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" and Have Disk... and set "Copy
manufacturer's file from:" to the C:\Sitecom\Drivers\USB 2.0 directory
-> Next
This will install the "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" device (with OWC
driver ousb2hub.sys).
[End quote.]

  The key items are selecting "Don't search. I will choose the driver to
install.", choosing the right device names from the "Model" list and
directing XP to the directory which contains the desired drivers. If you
fail any of these, XP will know 'better' and install the Microsoft
stuff.

  I hope this helps.
0
Frank