XP Home on 310n won't boot to Windows; boot disks don't work

Howdy, folks -- been a while since I had a problem I needed help
with, but now.... :)

A wonderful problem for the mavens. :(

I have 2 accounts (Owner & 1 Limited) on a 310n running XP Home. After
installing the latest security fix (as owner, obviously <g>), I
switched to my kid's limited account to log him off before restarting.
Screen went black & did not return to the owner account after a couple
of seconds as it normally should have. Cold booting does not work; the
machine will not boot to Windows in any mode at all: Normal, Safe/Safe
with command prompt, last-known-good, etc. No Windows, period.

Attempts to force Safe Mode resulted in the expected barberpole of
the load of amdagp.sys . I've reset the BIOS defaults with no success.
Nor do attempts to access the recovery console via my set of boot
floppies work; after inserting disk 2, the following error message
displays: "File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code is 7.
Setup cannot continue."

I've done all I know to do & wanted to pick the collective brain
before giving up & taking it to the shop tomorrow. Anyone have any
useful advice? ["Useful advice" is defined as something other than
wise-apple comments such as "Get a Mac!", "Shoulda gotten those
destructive-recovery CDs, doofus!", "Open 2nd-floor window; roll
box off roof," or similar. <grin>] I'm seriously stumped, folks;
can anyone help? Mucho TIA on this one!

Bill
0
top2
2/12/2004 11:19:22 PM
comp.sys.hp.misc 623 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

I don't understand why you need boot floppies. You should be able to boot
from XP cd-rom (might need to enable that option in BIOS though).

Boris
"bnichols" <top2@cox.net> wrote in message
> Howdy, folks -- been a while since I had a problem I needed help
> with, but now.... :)
>
> A wonderful problem for the mavens. :(
>
> I have 2 accounts (Owner & 1 Limited) on a 310n running XP Home. After
> installing the latest security fix (as owner, obviously <g>), I
> switched to my kid's limited account to log him off before restarting.
> Screen went black & did not return to the owner account after a couple
> of seconds as it normally should have. Cold booting does not work; the
> machine will not boot to Windows in any mode at all: Normal, Safe/Safe
> with command prompt, last-known-good, etc. No Windows, period.
>
> Attempts to force Safe Mode resulted in the expected barberpole of
> the load of amdagp.sys . I've reset the BIOS defaults with no success.
> Nor do attempts to access the recovery console via my set of boot
> floppies work; after inserting disk 2, the following error message
> displays: "File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code is 7.
> Setup cannot continue."
>
> I've done all I know to do & wanted to pick the collective brain
> before giving up & taking it to the shop tomorrow. Anyone have any
> useful advice? ["Useful advice" is defined as something other than
> wise-apple comments such as "Get a Mac!", "Shoulda gotten those
> destructive-recovery CDs, doofus!", "Open 2nd-floor window; roll
> box off roof," or similar. <grin>] I'm seriously stumped, folks;
> can anyone help? Mucho TIA on this one!
>
> Bill

0
Boris
2/17/2004 10:23:25 AM
"Boris Dynin" <spam@noplease.com> wrote in message news:<xYlYb.1792$_3.29617@typhoon.sonic.net>...
> I don't understand why you need boot floppies. You should be able to boot
> from XP cd-rom (might need to enable that option in BIOS though).

Which I might have been able to, except for the fact that HP's sole
"recovery" tool for that model is the recovery partition.  "No XP
CDs were harmed in the production of this movie." <chuckle>  As it
turned out, said partition was blocking XP's repair utility; once
the local PC doctor removed it (gaining me a few extra gigs in the
bargain) he was able to make the repair in short order.  Now all I
have to do is call tech support & tell them the HD's been partitioned
& wait for delivery of the aftermarket CD recovery set. :)

Bill

> Boris
> "bnichols" <top2@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Howdy, folks -- been a while since I had a problem I needed help
> > with, but now.... :)
> >
> > A wonderful problem for the mavens. :(
> >
> > I have 2 accounts (Owner & 1 Limited) on a 310n running XP Home. After
> > installing the latest security fix (as owner, obviously <g>), I
> > switched to my kid's limited account to log him off before restarting.
> > Screen went black & did not return to the owner account after a couple
> > of seconds as it normally should have. Cold booting does not work; the
> > machine will not boot to Windows in any mode at all: Normal, Safe/Safe
> > with command prompt, last-known-good, etc. No Windows, period.
> >
> > Attempts to force Safe Mode resulted in the expected barberpole of
> > the load of amdagp.sys . I've reset the BIOS defaults with no success.
> > Nor do attempts to access the recovery console via my set of boot
> > floppies work; after inserting disk 2, the following error message
> > displays: "File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. Error code is 7.
> > Setup cannot continue."
> >
> > I've done all I know to do & wanted to pick the collective brain
> > before giving up & taking it to the shop tomorrow. Anyone have any
> > useful advice? ["Useful advice" is defined as something other than
> > wise-apple comments such as "Get a Mac!", "Shoulda gotten those
> > destructive-recovery CDs, doofus!", "Open 2nd-floor window; roll
> > box off roof," or similar. <grin>] I'm seriously stumped, folks;
> > can anyone help? Mucho TIA on this one!
> >
> > Bill
0
top2