OT: Windows 7 question

OK, so I am attempting windows 7 for the third (or is it fourth) time.

Luckily I am doing this on a spare hard drive.

My question is, what do people use to search for files by name?  Also what tools/utility do you use to search for strings within files?

It amazes me that Microsoft would remove this basic functionality in order to force people into using the lame Windows Search facility.

TIA,

-Craig

mr_lalley (2)
9/28/2009 8:56:40 PM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow

My question is, what do people use to search for files by name?  Also what
tools/utility do you use to search for strings within files?

Google desktop.

Regards,
  -J

James
9/28/2009 8:59:42 PM
--- On Mon, 9/28/09, James Hofmeister <james.hofmeister@COMCAST.NET> wrote:

> Google desktop.

Wow James, I think you just fell off your pedestal.  I though you were a linux guy?

-Craig

Craig
9/28/2009 9:01:37 PM
Greetings,

The simple question is...

Can Suprtool be used to delete an entry in a master dataset along
with all corresponding entries in detail datasets?

Thanks,

Ernie

This message, including any attachments, is intended solely for the use of =
the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged infor=
mation. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this co=
mmunication(s) is expressly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipie=
nt, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy any and all copie=
s of the original message.

Newton
9/28/2009 9:04:58 PM
At 05:04 PM 28/09/2009, Newton, Ernie wrote:
Ernie,

Depends on what you mean. You have to delete the details first, but
Dbedit has the ;related option on the list and delete commands which
helps considerably, the rest depends on the volume and how you are
able to qualify the records in terms of what solution you choose.

Neil

>Greetings,
>
>The simple question is...
>
>Can Suprtool be used to delete an entry in a master dataset along
>with all corresponding entries in detail datasets?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ernie
>
>This message, including any attachments, is intended solely for the
>use of the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or
>privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>distribution of this communication(s) is expressly prohibited. If
>you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
>reply e-mail and destroy any and all copies of the original message.

Neil
9/28/2009 9:28:12 PM
Using a Linux desktop inside of HP is like Sisyphus cursed to roll a huge
boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this
throughout eternity.  We do not have the support of HP management (who uses
a Microsoft platform) and we do not have the support of HP-IT to run a Linux
desktop.  For those who do run Linux desktops inside of HP, they often get
crushed on the downhill roll of the boulder 8~O

My personal machine was a Linux Ubuntu desktop for a long time, but I had it
installed on some aged hardware (10 years old) where I was seeing with an
increasing frequency, hardware reliability problems.  For now my personal
machine is a WIN XP that donna gave to me, but I am saving up for a machine
that I can do virtualization on to solve all of my desktop and server needs.

Not to worry Craig, I have several Linux servers' i686, x86_64 & ia64 with
RHEL and SLES in the closet.

-J

Wow James, I think you just fell off your pedestal.  I though you were a
linux guy?

-Craig

James
9/28/2009 9:28:20 PM
Neil,

I want to find the one entry in the master and in one command
delete all associated records chained to detail datasets.

I could have sworn I saw that capability, maybe I was just drunk.

Ernie

At 05:04 PM 28/09/2009, Newton, Ernie wrote:
Ernie,

Depends on what you mean. You have to delete the details first, but
Dbedit has the ;related option on the list and delete commands which
helps considerably, the rest depends on the volume and how you are
able to qualify the records in terms of what solution you choose.

Neil

>Greetings,
>
>The simple question is...
>
>Can Suprtool be used to delete an entry in a master dataset along
>with all corresponding entries in detail datasets?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ernie
>
>This message, including any attachments, is intended solely for the
>use of the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or
>privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>distribution of this communication(s) is expressly prohibited. If
>you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
>reply e-mail and destroy any and all copies of the original message.

The Yolo County Office of Education has scanned this message for viruses an=
d dangerous content

This message, including any attachments, is intended solely for the use of =
the named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged infor=
mation. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this co=
mmunication(s) is expressly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipie=
nt, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy any and all copie=
s of the original message.

Newton
9/28/2009 9:42:35 PM
At 05:42 PM 28/09/2009, Newton, Ernie wrote:
Dear Ernie,

Actually Dbedit does do it from the master, it just doesn't list the
details when deleting. The documentation isn't clear, I am correcting that.

 >get m-product
 >list
 >xeq
 >GET M-PRODUCT (131) >OUT $NULL (0)
PRODUCT-DESC    = Daisywheel ribbon
PRODUCT-NO      = 105391

 >GET M-PRODUCT (192) >OUT $NULL (1)
PRODUCT-DESC    = Printer paper, 20 lb
PRODUCT-NO      = 2001001

IN=2, OUT=2. CPU-Sec=1. Wall-Sec=1.

 >edit

DBEDIT/iX/Copyright Robelle Solutions Technology Inc.
1984-2009.  Type H for hel
p.
(Version 5.2.10)
Current: M-PRODUCT
#list m-product;related

List in File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >2001001__

PRODUCT-DESC    = Printer paper, 20 lb
PRODUCT-NO      = 2001001

Related Records from the File : D-INVENTORY
   Key to path: PRODUCT-NO
BIN-NO          = 3479           LAST-SHIP-DATE  = 840501
ON-HAND-QTY     = 53             PRODUCT-NO      = 2001001
SUPPLIER-NAME   = Happy Recycling
UNIT-COST       = 2100

BIN-NO          = 3479           LAST-SHIP-DATE  = 840501
ON-HAND-QTY     = 11111111       PRODUCT-NO      = 2001001
SUPPLIER-NAME   = Happy Recycling
UNIT-COST       = 1111111

Related Records from the File : D-SALES
   Key to path: PRODUCT-NO
CUST-ACCOUNT    = 4003302        DELIV-DATE      = 840501
PRODUCT-NO      = 2001001        PRODUCT-PRICE   = 4200
PURCH-DATE      = 840207         SALES-QTY       = 2
SALES-TAX       = 0              SALES-TOTAL     = 8400

List in File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >// ______

#delete m-product;related

Delete from File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >2001001__

PRODUCT-DESC    = Printer paper, 20 lb
PRODUCT-NO      = 2001001

Is this the entry to delete [no]: yes
Begin deletion (be patient) ..  .. end deletion!

Delete from File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >_________

>Neil,
>
>I want to find the one entry in the master and in one command
>delete all associated records chained to detail datasets.
>
>I could have sworn I saw that capability, maybe I was just drunk.
>
>Ernie

9/28/2009 10:03:13 PM
Generic Search is invoked automatically when you click Start button and type
anything.  I do sort of miss the old 'right click' Explore window.  For more
you will see the 'Search' field.  Start typing here and the window will
change to Search Results.  At the bottom of the window use Custom to search
within files, etc.

Real intuitive Microsoft!  I think I am switching to OS X or Ubuntu.

Mark Ranft
Pro 3K

Wow James, I think you just fell off your pedestal.  I though you were a
linux guy?

-Craig

Mark
9/28/2009 10:05:09 PM
--- On Mon, 9/28/09, Mark Ranft <Mark@Pro3K.com> wrote:
>=20
> Real intuitive Microsoft!=C2=A0 I think I am switching to
> OS X or Ubuntu.
> =20

I have had similar thoughts myself.  One of the coolest new technologies I =
have seen is OpenCL.

From Apple...

"With graphics  processors  surpassing speeds of a trillion operations per =
second, they=E2=80=99re capable of considerably more than just drawing pict=
ures. OpenCL in Snow Leopard is a technology that makes it possible for dev=
elopers to tap the vast gigaflops of computing power currently in the graph=
ics processor and use it for any application."

Given the lack of improvement in processors and the leap in graphic technol=
ogies, this new approach sounds promising.

-Craig

Craig
9/28/2009 10:10:55 PM
In message <00ee01ca4087$bf4c6d20$3de54760$@com>, Mark Ranft
<Mark@PRO3K.COM> writing at 17:05:09 in his/her local time opines:-
>Generic Search is invoked automatically when you click Start button and type
>anything.  I do sort of miss the old 'right click' Explore window.  For more
>you will see the 'Search' field.  Start typing here and the window will
>change to Search Results.  At the bottom of the window use Custom to search
>within files, etc.
>
>Real intuitive Microsoft!  I think I am switching to OS X or Ubuntu.
>
>Mark Ranft
>Pro 3K

Beware of incomplete Searches, too.

On my Vista PC, I have it set to show pretty much everything - file
extensions, system files, hidden files, you name it.

But when my payroll broke recently, Sage support asked me to check some
details in my payroll.ini file, which I was to find using the (ordinary)
Windows Search. Sage knew I was using Vista, and the instructions were
supposed to be specifically for this.

However, Search found nothing :-(

But I knew the software was unlikely to run without a payroll.ini, so I
dug deeper.

Turns out the payroll.ini was sitting there, in perfectly plain view in
Windows Explorer when you knew where to look, as C:\Windows\payroll.ini

But Search would not show me this.

Once I'd looked at it, Search would show me the 'Recent' shortcut that
Windows creates for this. But still not the payroll.ini itself.

However, Advanced Search, when I used it, *did* show the file.

The difference, as far as I have been able to make out, is nothing to do
with what's indexed or what's not, though I would imagine it might be to
do with Windows being a system folder, and the ordinary Search not
respecting the Folder View setting I had made so I could see there, and
inside them.

Certainly, I can nowhere find that this is intended or documented
behaviour.

I have let Sage know they had better amend their procedure.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris

Roy
9/29/2009 6:17:51 AM
You bailed me out again Neil.

Thanks,

Ernie

At 05:42 PM 28/09/2009, Newton, Ernie wrote:
Dear Ernie,

Actually Dbedit does do it from the master, it just doesn't list the
details when deleting. The documentation isn't clear, I am correcting that.

 >get m-product
 >list
 >xeq
 >GET M-PRODUCT (131) >OUT $NULL (0)
PRODUCT-DESC    =3D Daisywheel ribbon
PRODUCT-NO      =3D 105391

 >GET M-PRODUCT (192) >OUT $NULL (1)
PRODUCT-DESC    =3D Printer paper, 20 lb
PRODUCT-NO      =3D 2001001

IN=3D2, OUT=3D2. CPU-Sec=3D1. Wall-Sec=3D1.

 >edit

DBEDIT/iX/Copyright Robelle Solutions Technology Inc.
1984-2009.  Type H for hel
p.
(Version 5.2.10)
Current: M-PRODUCT
#list m-product;related

List in File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >2001001__

PRODUCT-DESC    =3D Printer paper, 20 lb
PRODUCT-NO      =3D 2001001

Related Records from the File : D-INVENTORY
   Key to path: PRODUCT-NO
BIN-NO          =3D 3479           LAST-SHIP-DATE  =3D 840501
ON-HAND-QTY     =3D 53             PRODUCT-NO      =3D 2001001
SUPPLIER-NAME   =3D Happy Recycling
UNIT-COST       =3D 2100

BIN-NO          =3D 3479           LAST-SHIP-DATE  =3D 840501
ON-HAND-QTY     =3D 11111111       PRODUCT-NO      =3D 2001001
SUPPLIER-NAME   =3D Happy Recycling
UNIT-COST       =3D 1111111

Related Records from the File : D-SALES
   Key to path: PRODUCT-NO
CUST-ACCOUNT    =3D 4003302        DELIV-DATE      =3D 840501
PRODUCT-NO      =3D 2001001        PRODUCT-PRICE   =3D 4200
PURCH-DATE      =3D 840207         SALES-QTY       =3D 2
SALES-TAX       =3D 0              SALES-TOTAL     =3D 8400

List in File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >// ______

#delete m-product;related

Delete from File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >2001001__

PRODUCT-DESC    =3D Printer paper, 20 lb
PRODUCT-NO      =3D 2001001

Is this the entry to delete [no]: yes
Begin deletion (be patient) ..  .. end deletion!

Delete from File: M-PRODUCT

       PRODUCT-NO       >_________

>Neil,
>
>I want to find the one entry in the master and in one command
>delete all associated records chained to detail datasets.
>
>I could have sworn I saw that capability, maybe I was just drunk.
>
>Ernie

9/29/2009 7:21:13 PM
At 03:21 PM 29/09/2009, Newton, Ernie wrote:

Good to hear.

Neil