Printer trays.....network printers

Still having a problem here...
If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one
ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files
to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to
use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H  (PCL for use lower tray),
nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If
I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a
viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it
uses bottom tray.
 I want to use this on an HP2300 laserjet, but it looks like these later
models dont respond to PJL Data_intray commands.....something I saw on ITRC
.. So, how do I get this printer to work please?

thanks,
John Pitman

John
1/5/2004 3:46:57 AM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow

John Pitman wrote:

> If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one
> ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files
> to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to
> use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H  (PCL for use lower tray),
> nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If
> I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a
> viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it
> uses bottom tray.
>  I want to use this on an HP2300 laserjet, but it looks like these later
> models dont respond to PJL Data_intray commands.....something I saw on ITRC
> . So, how do I get this printer to work please?

I fail to understand why including the PCL command into your
setup_file does not work but it works when you insert it into
the data.
Your setup_file is fixed,ascii,unnumbered or bytestream  and
<Esc> is indeed a byte with decimal value of 27 ?
Is there indication that other PCL commands in this setup file
are recognized ?  Did you fully qualify the setup_file name in
NPCONFIG ?

You don't have any global data_intray option in NPCONFIG, do you ?

Goetz.

If the PCL command works in the data body, then we should get
it working in the setup_file as well.

0
Goetz