Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3

Paul,

if nothing else helps, you could use Java and JDBC with the JDBC
driver of the respective target database. A small example showing
access to an Image/SQL database can be found on the following web
page (and can be adjusted to use an MSSQL or Oracle JDBC driver
and database URL/logon fairly easily)...

 http://www.editcorp.com/Personal/Lars_Appel/JavaDemo/ -> JdbcProgram

Calling Java from COBOL as a subprogram, however, is probably not
the way that I would go, if exploring this road. I would probably
let a program similar to the above run as a "gateway" in a separate
job and have it talk to the COBOL programs by means of named pipe
or local socket (these should be possible by pure Java, whereas an
MPE specific thing like a MSG file might need special JNI coding
to call MPE intrinsics).

I'm confident, however, that other suggestions with commercially
available products will pop up on HP3000-L soon (e.g. tools from
www.csllink.com or www.advnetsys.com or www.gui-innovations.com).

Lars

Lars
7/8/2003 5:31:35 AM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3
In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol > program > accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the > C > libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. > I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working example of how to access it via COBOL is a great ...

Re: <Plug>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database fromthe HP3K
PeteVickers wrote: > take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. > http://www.gui-innovations.com/html/sqllink3000.html explains a bit more > about it, and includes some documentation i think i need to say <plug> too....as we're successfully using sqllink. it's a tidy (non-sprawl) install and easy for the programmers to use. it does need some sort of windows machine/server inbetween brokering the communication. </plug> - d -- Donna Garverick Sr. System Programmer 925-210-6631 dgarverick@longs.com Come, my friends, 'T...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Mr. Ryan, I Wrote: > <plug> > > MPE/iX Enterprise Client: > >www.advnetsys.com/enterprise.html >* Does not require ADO or ODBC Drivers >* Uses native access for outstanding performance. >* The middleware server is not just limited to Windows - runs on >Unix, >Linux Windows and HP e3000. >* Implements database pooling on the middleware for outstanding >performance. >* In a addition to database XL, we have available libraries for SAP >BAPI >and SOAP calls. </plug> Mr. Ryan kindly pointed out: >While your p...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
From: "PeteVickers" <pete@GUI-INNOVATIONS.COM> > Hi, > forgive the 2nd plug, but we have just uploaded the NewsWire review to the > web site, or use the direct link > http://www.gui-innovations.com/NewsWire0209.pdf > "Paul H. Christidis" <phchristidis@raytheon.com> wrote in message > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > > server or an ORACLE database on a different host? <plug> MPE/iX Enterpr...

Re: <Another Pluh>Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #2
> <plug> > > MPE/iX Enterprise Client: > www.advnetsys.com/enterprise.html * Does not require ADO or ODBC Drivers * Uses native access for outstanding performance. * The middleware server is not just limited to Windows - runs on Unix, Linux Windows and HP e3000. * Implements database pooling on the middleware for outstanding performance. * In a addition to database XL, we have available libraries for SAP BAPI and SOAP calls. Regards, David Thatcher Advanced Network Systems, Inc. www.advnetsys.com </plug> While your product sounds interestin...

> -----Original Message----- > From: Paul H. Christidis [mailto:phchristidis@raytheon.com] > Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 5:39 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K > > > Folks, > > I was asked the following question today and decided to turn > to your collective wisdom: > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to > connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his > input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE > database on a differ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #2
Yes it is possible. We do it. The tools we use are now obsolete. But I am sure there are newer tools available. We use the Oracle Gateway (obsolete) and PROCOBOL (I think also obsolete). The SQL queries generated by the PROCOBOL portion of the COBOL code queries information from Oracle. The COBOL program then writes the information to a VPlus screen just like any other data. I know there are several tools which will allow COBOL to do SQL queries. In combination with any data gateway, ODBC, or other such technology this should get the information into the program. I see you did n...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #4
Well, I can't find the source :-(. It was a long time ago and I have no idea where it went, it was just proof of concept stuff. I did find the hacked C example that would insert a record into my Linux box from the MPE box though. IIRC, we used the C code to figure out what calls to make in the Cobol program, then we played with the LINKEDIT a bit to make it work. Let me know if you're interested, Pete On July 8, 2003 05:03 pm, Wayne R. Boyer wrote: > In a message dated 7/8/03 5:23:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, > > pete@bookware3000.ca writes: > > It's n...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #6
On July 9, 2003 11:23 am, Duane Percox wrote: > * Performance was not that great so you wouldn't want to use this > for production, but proof of concept and for learning it is ok. Do you have any performance numbers for it all on Linux? Pete * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #2
It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we once had a Cobol program accessing a PostgreSQL database that resided on a Linux server by using the C libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. Pete On July 7, 2003 06:38 pm, Paul H. Christidis wrote: > Folks, > > I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your > collective wisdom: > > Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, > and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL > server or an ORACLE data...

Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #5
Wayne Boyer wrote: >pete@bookware3000.ca writes: >>It's not MS SQL or Oracle but for what it's worth, we >>once had a Cobol program accessing a PostgreSQL database >>that resided on a Linux server by using the C >>libraries included with Mark Bixby's PostgreSQL port. >I for one would absolutely love to see an example of that! >Sometime soon (?) I hope to be able to finally spend some time working >with PostgreSQL on MPE and/or Linux. Having a known working >example of how to access it via COBOL is a great starting point >fo...

Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K
Folks, I was asked the following question today and decided to turn to your collective wisdom: Is there a way for an IMAGE/VPLUS based application to connect, extract, and present to the user (based on his input) data residing on an MS SQL server or an ORACLE database on a different host? What tools would one need in order to accomplish the above? Regards Paul Christidis * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * Hi Paul, take a look at SqlLink/3000 from GUI Innovations. http://...

Re: SAS/access for Oracle and MS SQL server are different license? #3
Thanks Michael, But SAS/Access to ODBC or SAS/Access to OLE DB are also need to be licensed right? Looks like we don't have them either. Are there other options? On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:37:28 -0400, Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM> wrote: >Dear SAS-L-ers, > >Ya Huang posted this interesting question: > >> Hi there, >> >> I ran proc setinit and see we have SAS/ACCESS Interface to >> ORACLE, but not MS SQL server. Does it mean we need to pay >> the license of SQL server in order to access SQL server? I >> see people sometime...

Web resources about - Re: Accessing MS SQL server or ORACLE database from the HP3K #3 - comp.sys.hp.mpe

Student pleads guilty to accessing records about Frances Abbott design scholarship
The Sydney student who leaked information about a fashion school scholarship controversially awarded to the daughter of the Prime Minister has ...

Accessing a headline opinion
Accessing a headline opinion

Sharp increase in authorities accessing private data
Australian law enforcement and government agencies have sharply increased their access without warrant to vast quantities of private telephone ...

Former librarian charged with accessing student records of Frances Abbott
A former part-time librarian at a Sydney design school has been charged after she allegedly accessed student records of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's ...