Re: Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question

remember a hpib small drive  was just a  regular drive sometimes  with a
hpib interface board hooked to it...

was so  with   workstations and I assume the  small  3000  drives  same?
My 3000 drive times  were with  the   washing machine sized oldies  (7925 etc.

Thanks,

Ed Sharpe, Archivist for  SMECC

Web Site at _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/)

We are always looking for  items to add to the museum's display and ref.
library - please advise if you  have anything we can use.

Coury House / SMECC
5802 W. Palmaire Ave.  Phone 623-435-1522
Glendale Az 85301 USA

In a message dated 1/21/2010 10:11:11 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
john3000@COX.NET writes:

I have a  couple of old Classic MPE V/E boxes which I fire up
periodically.   Everything runs at present, but the hard drive
bearings are starting to  sing and warn me of their impending
failure.  If you remember, the  old Classic boxes use HPIB (GPIB,
IEEE-488) as the interface for hard  drives.

As HPIB hard drives are getting pretty rare, I'm wondering if  anyone
has been successful in putting a GPIB-to-PCI interface card in a
Windows PC, writing code for the PC to make its GPIB interface look
to  the Classic 3000 like a 7937, and then successfully running the
Classic  3000 with this PC-based pseudo-7937 as its LDEV 0.  If so,
I'd love  to hear about it.

John
*** When replying to this message, please do  not delete these ***
*** signature lines. Otakon Katsucon HP3000-L  @classiccmp.org ***
*** DigitalCosplay.com     JohnKorbPhoto.com                 ***

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list  settings, *
* etc., please visit  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html  *

Ed
1/22/2010 12:21:09 AM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow

There were a number of small (in capacity and size) HPIB drives, and
I've used three of them, but they were no where near as robust and
the larger drives.  Only one of the smaller drives is still
operational (bearings died on all the others - wow, what a sound when
they go!), and I'm guessing (based upon the sounds coming from it)
that its remaining lifetime is measured in hours.  I have 9 track
tape backups (yeah, I still have two working 9 track drives), but I'm
out of disc drives.  Thus, the interest in a "hard drive replacement"
where maybe a PC with a GPIB interface in it can look like several
disc LDEV's to an old Classic box.

John

At 2010-01-22 12:21 AM, Ed Sharpe SMECC MUSEUM www.smecc.org wrote:
>remember a hpib small drive  was just a  regular drive sometimes  with a
>hpib interface board hooked to it...
>
>was so  with   workstations and I assume the  small  3000  drives  same?
>My 3000 drive times  were with  the   washing machine sized oldies  (7925 etc.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ed Sharpe, Archivist for  SMECC
>
>Web Site at _www.smecc.org_ (http://www.smecc.org/)
>
>We are always looking for  items to add to the museum's display and ref.
>library - please advise if you  have anything we can use.
>
>Coury House / SMECC
>5802 W. Palmaire Ave.  Phone 623-435-1522
>Glendale Az 85301 USA
>

>In a message dated 1/21/2010 10:11:11 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
>john3000@COX.NET writes:
>
>I have a  couple of old Classic MPE V/E boxes which I fire up
>periodically.   Everything runs at present, but the hard drive
>bearings are starting to  sing and warn me of their impending
>failure.  If you remember, the  old Classic boxes use HPIB (GPIB,
>IEEE-488) as the interface for hard  drives.
>
>As HPIB hard drives are getting pretty rare, I'm wondering if  anyone
>has been successful in putting a GPIB-to-PCI interface card in a
>Windows PC, writing code for the PC to make its GPIB interface look
>to  the Classic 3000 like a 7937, and then successfully running the
>Classic  3000 with this PC-based pseudo-7937 as its LDEV 0.  If so,
>I'd love  to hear about it.
>
>John
>*** When replying to this message, please do  not delete these ***
>*** signature lines. Otakon Katsucon HP3000-L  @classiccmp.org ***
>*** DigitalCosplay.com     JohnKorbPhoto.com                 ***
>
>* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list  settings, *
>* etc., please visit  http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html  *

>01/21/10 02:34:00

John
*** When replying to this message, please do not delete these ***
*** signature lines. Otakon Katsucon HP3000-L @classiccmp.org ***
*** DigitalCosplay.com    JohnKorbPhoto.com                   ***

John

Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question
I have a couple of old Classic MPE V/E boxes which I fire up periodically. Everything runs at present, but the hard drive bearings are starting to sing and warn me of their impending failure. If you remember, the old Classic boxes use HPIB (GPIB, IEEE-488) as the interface for hard drives. As HPIB hard drives are getting pretty rare, I'm wondering if anyone has been successful in putting a GPIB-to-PCI interface card in a Windows PC, writing code for the PC to make its GPIB interface look to the Classic 3000 like a 7937, and then successfully running the Classic 3000 wi...

Re: Question re: MPE/Turbo Image, MPE::Image and packed fields
> -----Original Message----- > From: Braun Brelin [mailto:bbrelin@openapp.biz] > > I'm using a perl program on an HP3000. [...] > The problem I'm having is that one of my tables has a key > that looks like the following: > > E-PAT-ACCT-NBR CHARACTER 8 [and I'm presuming "broken down as:" ... ] > .ENTITY-ID CHARACTER 2 > PAT-ACCT-NBR PACKED UNSIGNED 6 > > So, basically, the key consists of a two byte character > [...] and ...

Re: Question re: MPE/Turbo Image, MPE::Image and packed fields
Oops, that's supposed to be a "4", not an 8. basically, the keys are usually 7 digits long (like 1951423). I'm unsure if I'm supposed to add in the "01" or not, so, I've tried it both ways, neither of which works... Braun Brelin Quoting "Emerson, Tom" <Tom.Emerson@warnerbros.com>: > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Braun Brelin [mailto:bbrelin@openapp.biz] > > > > I'm using a perl program on an HP3000. [...] > > The problem I'm having is that one of my tables has a key > > ...

Re: Question re: MPE/Turbo Image, MPE::Image and packed fields #2
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 05:54:28PM +0100, Braun Brelin wrote: > I tried doing a pack("H8",$key) where $key = <some valid key> and then passing > that to the DbFind() function, but I'm getting back the following error: Once thing to watch out for when using the pack() function is the count. In _Programming Perl_ they warn you that when you use the hexadecimal pack, you need to count the number of nibbles, not bytes. Also, what, exactly could be in $key? You claim "<some valid key>" but is it in a form that pack is going to expect? You mig...

Re: Question re: MPE/Turbo Image, MPE::Image and packed fields #3
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:49:24PM +0100, Braun Brelin wrote: > Oops, that's supposed to be a "4", not an 8. basically, the keys are usually > 7 digits long (like 1951423). I'm unsure if I'm supposed to add in the "01" or > not, so, I've tried it both ways, neither of which works... Oh. Well, based on that, ignore my last message. You still might want to try separating them into two different packs. Dave -- +----David Oksner-----http://www.case.net/----+ |Gibb's Law: | | Infinity is one lawye...

Re: Question re: MPE/Turbo Image, MPE::Image and packed fields #2
From: "Braun Brelin" <bbrelin@openapp.biz> > Oops, that's supposed to be a "4", not an 8. basically, the keys are usually > 7 digits long (like 1951423). I'm unsure if I'm supposed to add in the "01" or > not, so, I've tried it both ways, neither of which works... > > Braun Brelin Your saying "4", not 8, above confuses me... I'm not sure what it refers to. From your initial message I understood that the key is 8 bytes long, the first byte is ascii "0" (hex 30, decimal 48), the secon...

Question re: MPE/Turbo Image, MPE::Image and packed fields
Hello, I'm using a perl program on an HP3000. This program uses the TurboImage primitives (wrapped in Ted Ashton's MPE::Image perl module) to retrieve data from the database. The problem I'm having is that one of my tables has a key that looks like the following: E-PAT-ACCT-NBR CHARACTER 8 .ENTITY-ID CHARACTER 2 PAT-ACCT-NBR PACKED UNSIGNED 6 So, basically, the key consists of a two byte character (which should always have the value '01') and a packed unsigned ...

Re: MPE Question
I've seen it for years, I think it's one of those idiosyncrasies. When = it bothered me, I would re-mount a tape and do a listdir to nowhere. = When the tape is done the LDEV should show up as AVAIL with nothing = following. (It never seemed to happen on HP-IB drives, however.) BT Tracy Johnson MSI Schaevitz Sensors=20 > -----Original Message----- > From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU]On > Behalf Of Stuart Diamond > Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 4:38 PM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: [HP3000-L] MPE Question ...

<Plug> HP e3000 (MPE/iX) & HP 9000 (HP-UX) Server
Below is a pricing guide of internal disk drives for most of the HP e3000 & HP 9000 server line. Feel free to email if you have any questions or want pricing but do not see your HP server listed. All disks have a one-year warranty & include mounting hardware.=20 HP e3000 (MPE/iX) & 9000 (HP-UX) Server - Internal Disk Drives HP e3000 - A & N Class MPE/iX Servers HP 9000 - rp74xx, rp54xx, rp24xx, N4000, A500, & L2000 Class HP-UX Servers=20 36GB Hot Plug Ultra2 SCSI Disk Drive - $160.00 73GB Hot Plug Ultra2 SCSI Disk Drive - $275.00 146GB Hot Plug Ultra2 SCSI D...

Re: Linux hard drive sequence (/hdx drive mappings) Question clarification
On 2005-07-06, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@yahoo.com> wrote: > > You may have only two primary partitions, and two extended ones. > Each extended one can contain 4 subsidiary partitions, for a total > of 10 partitions. Dos/windoze won't use this configuration. > > disk--->table-+-->pri-1 > +-->pri-2 > +-->ext-3-+->sub-5 > | +->sub-6 > | +->sub-7 > | +->sub-8 > | > +-->ex...

Re: Fw: Thank you Re: [HP3000-L] HP-3000 MPE PERL execution
--- garys0210 <garys0210@comcast.net> wrote: > Thank you Donna for the MPE/ix PERL information. you're welcome > I guess you have me blocked for email. who me? block for email? :-) you can't directly reply to me thru yahoo. i deliberately changed this email account's reply-to value. you can however read what's in my signature (hint hint) and reply (privately, i guess....) that way. - d ===== Donna Garverick Sr. System Programmer dgarverick -at- longs -dot- com 925-210-6631 Longs Drug Stores Come, my friends, 'Tis not too l...

HP Hard Drive Question
Does anyone know what kind of hard drive HP uses? I just got a new Pavilion a550y with a 160GB HD. I've noticed a grinding noise when windows boots up and shuts down? Is this normal for a large size HD? <atlanta_brotha@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:0r6t809f8epuvk3qrpqlumhafn5neg1h53@4ax.com... > Does anyone know what kind of hard drive HP uses? I just got a new > Pavilion a550y with a 160GB HD. I've noticed a grinding noise when > windows boots up and shuts down? Is this normal for a large size HD? Sounds like you have a Seagate Barracuda IV, V or 72...

Re: MPE question #2
Walter asks: "What might cause an MPE/iX 7.5 system to get into a loop constantly writing the message "FWRITE TO TERMINAL FAILED" to the console and filling up the log files?" Bad programming. Seriously,... bad programming. Whatever program or section it was that was sending the error should've aborted or aborted after a certain number of loops. What kind of program was running? Was it using View, V-plus, etc. intrinsics? This doesn't sound like any error I've ever seen come from that subsystem. If it was from a user logged on through telnet, and ...

Re: MPE Topics for HP World
> > Just trying to get a read on people's interests/hot topics. > I would think popular topics would be: - elections - the war on terror - the UN - disaster relief - social security reform - vaporware Part of the last day, and maybe lunchtime, could be reserved for discussions about computers. * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Web resources about - Re: Classic MPE Hardware to PC Hard Drive Question - comp.sys.hp.mpe

Simmons Hardware Company Warehouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / 42.49306; -96.40944 Coordinates : 42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / ...

Investors support Metcash bid for Home Timber & Hardware
Metcash revealed its interest in Woolworths' Home Timber &amp; Hardware business as long ago as the middle of 2015, sources close to the listed ...

Job listings seemingly confirm Google is working on its own VR hardware
Two weeks ago, a report claimed that Google is forming its own VR division, with Clay Bavor (former VP of Gmail and Drive) in charge of the new ...

LG admits G4 bootloop problem is a hardware fault, will repair affected devices
... LG. The official response has come through and it should make G4 owners happy: LG has acknowledged the LG G4 bootloop issue is a hardware defect ...

​What’s So Creative About Hardware?
... so much more to the convergence of technology and creative industries though. While Buildit accelerator was originally set up as a pure hardware ...

Xerox Slips on WSJ Report It Will Split into Hardware, Services Cos.
... late trading after The Wall Street Journal sent headlines just before the close saying the company plans to split in two, forming one a hardware ...

Microsoft is treading water when it comes to hardware, but it could take off next year
... and 950XL, new Microsoft-made flagship Windows 10 Mobile phones that failed to get anyone excited about the platform , despite powerful hardware ...

Storied Xerox to split hardware and services into two companies
Over 50 years ago, Xerox introduced photocopiers based on a dry process called xerography that largely did away with the requirement of carbon ...

Commentary: Apple expected to see decreasing profits from hardware
Apple is expected to see difficulties maintaining strong hardware sales, as sales of iPhone, iPad and Mac-series products during its fiscal first ...

Apple planned ahead for the inevitable hardware slump
It was inevitable, but nonetheless concerning to investors. iPhone sales flattened out this quarter, part of an overall trend of weakness in ...