Re: OT: Ah Lawyers. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot them... #2

Or worse yet, what if it's one of these:

Hackers Hijack PC's for Sex Sites
By JOHN SCHWARTZ
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/11/technology/11HACK.html?th

(You gotta be a subscriber, free, yada-yada, minor
copyright violation below:)

More than a thousand unsuspecting Internet users around the
world have recently had their computers hijacked by hackers,
who computer security experts say are using them for
pornographic Web sites.

 The hijacked computers, which are chosen by the hackers
apparently because they have high-speed connections to the
Internet, are secretly loaded with software that makes them
send explicit Web pages advertising pornographic sites and
offer to sign visitors up as customers.

 Unless the owner of the hijacked computer is technologically
sophisticated, the activity is likely to go unnoticed. The
program, which only briefly downloads the pornographic
material to the usurped computer, is invisible to the
computer's owner. It apparently does not harm the computer
or disturb its operation.

The hackers operating the ring direct traffic to each
hijacked computer in their network for a few minutes
at a time, quickly rotating through a large number. Some
are also used to send spam e-mail messages to boost
traffic to the sites.

 By hiding behind a ring of machines, the senders can cloak
their identity while helping to solve one of the biggest
problems for purveyors of pornography and spam: getting
shut down by Internet service providers who receive
complaints about the raunchy material.

The web of front machines hides the identity of the
true server computer so "there's no individual computer
to shut down," Mr. Smith said. "We're dealing with
somebody here who is very clever."

By monitoring Web traffic to the porn advertisements,
Mr. Smith has counted more than a thousand machines
that have been affected.

[remainder snipped...]

BT

Tracy Johnson
MSI Schaevitz Sensors

Johnson
7/11/2003 4:16:48 PM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow