Re: System Improvement Ballot enhancements for FTP 6.5/7.0/7.5 #2

AFAIR, all the information is in the JMAT (Job Master Table), so my best =
educated guess is that it's just a question of retrieving and formatting =
a JMAT entry before releasing it.

Now OK, if someone from HP tells me it's easier said than done, that's =
OK with me.

In a nutshell : not that hard.

Christian Lheureux
Directeur BU Infrastructure / Manager of IT Infrastructure BU
________________________________

  29, rue de Rosi=E8res
  91240 SAINT-MICHEL-SUR-ORGE
  FRANCE

  T=E9l=E9phone :
+33 1 69 72 12 83
  Fax :
+33 1 60 15 30 62
  Email :
lheureux@btwcomputing.com
  Web :=20
www.btwcomputing.com
________________________________

En mai 2004,APPIC RH devient BTW Computing, une activit=E9 du Groupe BTW
In May 2004, APPIC RH becomes BTW Computing, an activity of the BTW =
Group=20

FTP
> 6.5/7.0/7.5
>=20
> Hey, I gotta new (old) one!  I mean, I wondered about this when I =
first
> learned MPE IV in 1984!
>=20
> So, everyone who has a console has seen the message that says
> HH:MM/#Snnnn/pin/LOGOFF ON LDEV xx ?
>=20
> Now, how many times has someone come up to you and asked when did so =
and
> so log off the system?  Huh!
>=20
> If one REALLY wanted to know WHEN WHO logged off, one has to go the =
log
> files to learn who session number #Snnnn was at log on time.  (Unless
> the party who logged-off had just logged-on a minues earlier and it =
was
> still visible.)
>=20
> How much TROUBLE would it be, to change the Console LOGOFF message to
> contain the same info that the LOGON on message has?
>=20
> I mean REALLY?
>=20
> I figure in the MPE II III IV and V days it was a big deal of memory
> and/or disc space for log files to store an extra umpteen bytes or so
> per record just to say who it was.  After all, the "engineering" =
answer
> of the 1970s would be to scan the log files and pair up the session
> numbers to find out who-logged-off-when.  Why waste our log files with
> precious bytes?
>=20
> If this were fixed ...
>=20
> many of us (er, O.K. those of us who remain,) would no longer have to =
go
> around dickin' with system log files or 3rd party support tools to =
pair
> up two log records just to find out when user "X" who logged on 'n'
> hours before, finally logged off.  I mean it would be right there,
> starin' at us in the face.
>=20
> P.S. You could use Sarbanes-Oxley to justify this mod.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Tracy Johnson
> Measurement Specialties, Inc.
>=20
> BT
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> NNNN
>=20
>=20

Christian
8/3/2005 1:51:17 PM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow