Re: TURBOIMAGE error- Directed end of file - DBGET, mode=4 on xxxx (dataset) of YYYY(database name)

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:59:21 -0500, Michael <michael@J3KSOLUTIONS.COM> wr=
ote:

>Before you call DBGET with mode=3D4, you should of previously called dbg=
et
>to read a record from this data set 'xxxx',  using mode 1, 2, 3, 5, 6,
>or possibly 7. I don't know of any other way to retrieve a valid
>RECORD-NUMBER.

I don't recall seeing such a requirement documented. Do you happen to kno=
w the page=20
number and version of the manual where you found that requirement?

>The program should have stored (MOVE) the RECORD-NUMBER to another
>variable, eq MY-RECORD-NUMBER.
>
>Before you call DBGET with mode=3D4, you'll first need to move
>MY-RECORD-NUMBER to RECORD-NUMBER.

Once a record number from the IMAGE status area has been stored in a simi=
larly-defined=20
variable the DBGET argument parameter can directly reference that variabl=
e.

Bruce
9/20/2009 5:13:48 PM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow

In message <LISTSERV%200909201313487650.0A16@RAVEN.UTC.EDU>, Bruce Hobbs
<brucehobbs@ENGINEEREDSW.COM> writing at 13:13:48 in his/her local time
opines:-
>On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:59:21 -0500, Michael <michael@J3KSOLUTIONS.COM> wrote:
>
>>Before you call DBGET with mode=4, you should of previously called dbget
>>to read a record from this data set 'xxxx',  using mode 1, 2, 3, 5, 6,
>>or possibly 7. I don't know of any other way to retrieve a valid
>>RECORD-NUMBER.
>>
>I don't recall seeing such a requirement documented. Do you happen to
>know the page number and version of the manual where you found that
>requirement?

It's not a technical requirement as such (as I suspect you very well
know :-) ).

It's more an indication that except, possibly, in the case of some
extremely specifically arranged and maintained Image dataset, accessing
record numbers 'blind' is unlikely to lead to any profitable result.

However, you certainly don't need to have previously read the actual
record in question; a multi-level bill of materials, say, will store the
next record at the current level (status elements 9 and 10) while
exploding the current record (and possibly so on downwards recursively),
repositioning itself at each returned level with a Mode 4 DBGET on the

>>The program should have stored (MOVE) the RECORD-NUMBER to another
>>variable, eq MY-RECORD-NUMBER.

>>Before you call DBGET with mode=4, you'll first need to move
>>MY-RECORD-NUMBER to RECORD-NUMBER.

>Once a record number from the IMAGE status area has been stored in a
>similarly-defined variable the DBGET argument parameter can directly
>reference that variable.

Indeed so.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris

Roy