Re: Using/Not using Mirroring to manage diferent accounts #4

We have several customers doing this.  We use a Model 20 disk array;
production volumes get RAID 0 + 1,  and their test or archive volumes get
RAID 5.  Performance does suffer a little bit in RAID 5, but it usually
doesn't matter and saves money.  Works like a champ!!

John Lee
Vaske Computer Solutions

At 08:37 AM 10/7/03 -0400, Andrew Cartledge wrote:
>Can anyone see any flaws in my cunning plan.
>
>I have system that is mirrored.
>
>This holds both a production (live) account and a test account.
>
>The drawback, as I see it, is that for every n gig of disk I only really
>have half of it really available.
>
>I am toying with the idea of adding some new disks but assigninging it to a
>non mirrored volume set i.e. test_set. I will leave the live account on the
>mirrored set i.e. live_set and move/build a test account on a non mirrored
>test_set volume set.
>
>This will reduce the amount of disk required by the test system i.e.
>basically half that required by the live account if I dump the live account
>into the test account.
>
>Does anyone do this?
>
>Can anyone see any problems with what appears to be a simple solution?
>
>I assume that when bulding files in the live account they will end up on
>the mirrored volume as the account/groups are assigned via ONVS/HOMEVS to
>the mirrored volume wilst the test data will end up on the none mirrored
>volumes.
>
>The applications will have to run across the volumes as I will have them on
>the mirrored set.
>
>TIA

John
10/7/2003 4:16:05 PM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow