TurboIMAGE vs KSAMXL

In TurboIMAGE if I want to see how many entries have a particular key val=
ue
all I have to do is look at the chain length on a dbfind procedure. Works=
 great.

However, I have no idea how to do this with data stored in a KSAMXL file.=

My question is this, can it even be done in KSAMXL ?

TIA,

Brian Donaldson.

Brian
9/29/2009 3:38:02 AM
comp.sys.hp.mpe 25828 articles. 0 followers. rhorner (2) is leader. Post Follow

In message <LISTSERV%200909282338022530.3528@RAVEN.UTC.EDU>, Brian
Donaldson <bmdinsocal@AOL.COM> writing at 23:38:02 in his/her local time
opines:-
>In TurboIMAGE if I want to see how many entries have a particular key value
>all I have to do is look at the chain length on a dbfind procedure.
>Works great.
>
>However, I have no idea how to do this with data stored in a KSAMXL file.
>
>My question is this, can it even be done in KSAMXL ?
>
>TIA,
>
>Brian Donaldson.

Brute force would be read 'em and count 'em.

So yes, it can be done :-)

But you want smarter than that, right?

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris

Roy
9/29/2009 6:25:41 AM
I was thinking the same thing.  It would be easy enough to set up a Suprtoo=
l procedure to do that, and it would do it very quickly and get you the inf=
ormation you need.  That is probably how I would do it.

"Smarter" is nice sometimes, but there's definitely something to be said fo=
r the good old "KISS" principle. =20

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Roy Brown <Roy_now_free_from_spam@ACANTHUS.DEMON.CO.UK=
> wrote:

> From: Roy Brown <Roy_now_free_from_spam@ACANTHUS.DEMON.CO.UK>
> Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] TurboIMAGE vs KSAMXL
> To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
> Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 2:25 AM
> In message <LISTSERV%200909282338022530.3528@RAVEN.UTC.EDU>,
> Brian=20
> Donaldson <bmdinsocal@AOL.COM>
> writing at 23:38:02 in his/her local time=20
> opines:-
> >In TurboIMAGE if I want to see how many entries have a
> particular key value
> >all I have to do is look at the chain length on a
> dbfind procedure.=20
> >Works great.
> >
> >However, I have no idea how to do this with data stored
> in a KSAMXL file.
> >
> >My question is this, can it even be done in KSAMXL ?
> >
> >TIA,
> >
> >Brian Donaldson.
>=20
> Brute force would be read 'em and count 'em.
>=20
> So yes, it can be done :-)
>=20
> But you want smarter than that, right?
>=20
> --=20
> Roy Brown=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 'Have nothing in your
> houses that you do not know to be
> Kelmscott Ltd=A0 =A0=A0=A0useful, or believe to
> be beautiful'=A0 William Morris
>=20
> * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list
> settings, *
> =0A=0A=0A

Edwin
9/29/2009 11:28:37 AM
In message <205452.76249.qm@web110208.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>, Edwin=20
Clements <eclements@YAHOO.COM> writing at 04:28:37 in his/her local time=20
opines:-
>I was thinking the same thing.  It would be easy enough to set up a=20
>Suprtool procedure to do that, and it would do it very quickly and get=20
>you the information you need.  That is probably how I would do it.

>"Smarter" is nice sometimes, but there's definitely something to be=20
>said for the good old "KISS" principle.

Well, we can make it KIFS (Keep It Fairly Simple), by (rather than=20
reading through a million records to get an entry count of zero or one=20
or two) using FFINDBYKEY with RELOP =3D 0 for the key we are interested=20
in, and then only having to read and count the exact matches with FREAD=20
until encountering CCG.

>--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Roy Brown=20
><Roy_now_free_from_spam@ACANTHUS.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
>
>> From: Roy Brown <Roy_now_free_from_spam@ACANTHUS.DEMON.CO.UK>
>> Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] TurboIMAGE vs KSAMXL
>> To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU
>> Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 2:25 AM
>> In message <LISTSERV%200909282338022530.3528@RAVEN.UTC.EDU>,
>> Brian
>> Donaldson <bmdinsocal@AOL.COM>
>> writing at 23:38:02 in his/her local time
>> opines:-
>> >In TurboIMAGE if I want to see how many entries have a
>> particular key value
>> >all I have to do is look at the chain length on a
>> dbfind procedure.
>> >Works great.
>> >
>> >However, I have no idea how to do this with data stored
>> in a KSAMXL file.
>> >
>> >My question is this, can it even be done in KSAMXL ?
>> >
>> >TIA,
>> >
>> >Brian Donaldson.
>>
>> Brute force would be read 'em and count 'em.
>>
>> So yes, it can be done :-)
>>
>> But you want smarter than that, right?
>>
>> --
>> Roy Brown=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 'Have nothing in your
>> houses that you do not know to be
>> Kelmscott Ltd=A0 =A0=A0=A0useful, or believe to
>> be beautiful'=A0 William Morris
>>
>> * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list
>> settings, *
>> * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *

--=20