HP 34C batteries

Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? Do I need to build a pack
myself?

Thanks,

Scott Chapin

0
Scott
1/8/2006 12:17:46 AM
comp.sys.hp48 9725 articles. 0 followers. fbarbaise (60) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:17:46 -0600, Scott Chapin wrote:

> Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? [HP34C]

Aside from any vendors still selling expensive original replacements
(which they would have had to make or repair themselves,
since any original cells that old would be dead):

Assuming that you have an existing battery pack,
in which the only essential parts are the thin metal springy clip
which holds both batteries and connects them in series,
and the plastic thingy which sits between the cells, and has
a projection which mates with a hole in the steel spring clip:

Carefully note which way the old batteries are currently facing
(some clips might have a + sign somewhere to help with this),
then replace with standard "flat-top" AA size
NiCd (or NiMH) cells.  Any original tape on the pack
is completely unnecessary, except as a discouragement
for you to have changed the cells yourself,
because the steel clip and plastic thingy
hold the cells perfectly all by themselves (clever design!)

To get "flat-top" (buttonless) AA cells:

o Find cordless phone battery packs made from them,
   remove the shrink wrap and pull off all wiring tabs.

o Find individual cells labeled "Replace-A-Cell" at Radio Shack.

o Buy standard cells with "button" ends, hit end with hammer
   to flatten the end (no joke, this works); it's even possible
   to force standard cells into place, but this will somewhat
   permanently flatten the contacts in the calculator instead,
   and make it hard to use proper cells in the future.

BEFORE anything else, however, make sure to
NEVER RUN on AC adapter unless FRESH cells are already in place!

Otherwise, incautious [cheap] engineering of that entire line
enables them to be fried in a moment from unfiltered voltage spikes,
because the batteries themselves form the essential AC filter
and voltage limiter! -- no zener diodes in those "beauts" :(

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
1/8/2006 1:21:59 AM
Hi John,

If my father had the original pack, he  is no longer with us to tell me
where :-(. I had given this calculator to him, and he loved it. There were a
pair of Radio Shack batteries which he had soldered a strap across, but I
thought they had bottons. Ach....I cannot remember. I tossed them out, since
they were starting to corode. Fortunately, the calculator's contacts were
unscathed.

Scott Chapin

0
Scott
1/8/2006 1:31:46 AM
BTW, flat-top NiCd or NiMH batteries are a standard commodity,
though not usually found at retail except hidden inside
cordless phone battery backs; for example:

http://stores.ebay.com/MegaBatteries-com
http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=12859.25
http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=201

You would want the full-size AA NiCd or NiMH,
labeled either "flat top" or "with tabs"
(in the latter case you would have to pull off the welded
wiring tabs, which are used to make battery packs).

The plastic thingy in the original battery pack simply
prevents the batteries from sliding out at the end;
remove it first, slide out old batteries,
slide in new cells (watch polarity!),
finally slide plastic thingy back in
(until projection snaps into hole in spring clip).

If original pack is entirely missing, just insert cells
into battery compartment, insert metal strip or aluminum foil
at one end, to connect cells in series.  I forget which contact
in the compartment is + vs. -, but if you need this info,
just ask again here.

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
1/8/2006 2:26:16 AM
           -=[ Sun, 8.1.06 5:43 p.m. +1300 (NZDT) ]=-

Hello John H Meyers,  <jhmeyers@miu.edu>

02h17m ago, on Sat, 7.1.06 at 8:26 p.m. -0600, you wrote
in message ID <op.s21fp2quwmwqgg@news.cis.dfn.de> :
[...]
> If original pack is entirely missing, just insert cells
> into battery compartment, insert metal strip or aluminum
> foil at one end, to connect cells in series.

Ahha, that's exactly what I did for my 38C a couple of years
ago. I used some aluminium from an old floppy disk.
Luckily I had a few old "big" NiMH batteries. It's all held
in place by sheer pressure<G>.

> I forget which contact in the compartment is + vs. -, but
> if you need this info, just ask again here.

Here the aluminium joins the two -ve ends.

--
Tony

0
Tony
1/8/2006 4:54:04 AM
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 22:54:04 -0600, Tony Hutchins wrote:

> Luckily I had a few old "big" NiMH batteries.
> It's all held in place by sheer pressure<G>.

So are the original HP34C internals -- nothing is soldered,
the ICs and LED array are just being pressed (by foam) against
the thin folded printed circuit "film," and when everything
begins to flake out, one twists the ends of the case
back & forth to try to rub internal stuff together
to make better contact again!

> Here the aluminium [foil] joins the two -ve ends.

In the HP34C (and entire "Spice" series), the two batteries
must be in series, so at one end a + and - are connected
(originally by the springy thin steel battery holder),
while at the other end of the battery compartment
are two battery contact springs, one each for + and -

However, those latter springs are identical, and there is
no polarity marking anywhere to be seen (except on the
original clever thin steel spring which held two cells
together and furnished the + to - bridge at one end).

We may have a dead HP37E in our office (a victim of
plugging in its AC adapter with dried out batteries);
it would still have its original dead battery pack and spring
in it, if only we knew where it was :)

At home I have my own 34C and 32E, embalmed of course :)

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
1/8/2006 6:04:19 AM
Scott Chapin ����:
> Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? Do I need to build a pack
> myself?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Chapin

I have original unused battery pac 82190A , if you interested to it ,
please send me the email cyiuwai@hotmail.com
0
cyiuwai
1/8/2006 8:44:47 AM
cyiuwai ����:
> Scott Chapin ����:
>> Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? Do I need to build a pack
>> myself?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott Chapin
>>

> I have original unused battery pac 82190A , if you interested to it ,
> please send me the email cyiuwai@hotmail.com

sorry the model no. is 82109A
0
cyiuwai
1/8/2006 8:45:55 AM
          -=[ Sun, 8.1.06 10:06 p.m. +1300 (NZDT) ]=-

Hello John H Meyers,  <jhmeyers@miu.edu>

03h02m ago, on Sun, 8.1.06 at 00:04 a.m. -0600, you wrote
in message ID <op.s21pthf8wmwqgg@news.cis.dfn.de> :

> > Here the aluminium [foil] joins the two -ve ends.
>
> In the HP34C (and entire "Spice" series), the two batteries
> must be in series, so at one end a + and - are connected
> (originally by the springy thin steel battery holder),
> while at the other end of the battery compartment
> are two battery contact springs, one each for + and -

You got me worried so I popped out the batteries and luckily I
have a + and - on the aluminium, not the "two -ve" I wrote
above. And yes the calc only works with the batteries in one way
 - the battery contact spring nearest to top of the calculator
is negative.

> However, those latter springs are identical, and there is
> no polarity marking anywhere to be seen (except on the
> original clever thin steel spring which held two cells
> together and furnished the + to - bridge at one end).

I wish I'd read your e-mail two years ago - I believe I
clumsily broke the old battery pack.

> We may have a dead HP37E in our office (a victim of
> plugging in its AC adapter with dried out batteries);

I have a live 37E. Must have been lucky not to kill it with
the adapter though. It has the two free-standing<G> NiMH too.
And I charge them in situ.

--
Tony

0
Tony
1/8/2006 9:23:40 AM
"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers@miu.edu> wrote in message

<SNIP>

> We may have a dead HP37E in our office

Great. I still have my 37E. I can check out the polarity there!

Scott Chapin

0
Scott

What HP calculators you currently have?
Veli-Pekka has: HP-75C HP-71B * 2 HP 50G HP 49g+ HP 49G * 2 (one is overclocked to 5MHz) HP 48GII HP-48GX HP-48SX HP-28S * 2 HP-41CX * 3 (all somewhat broken) HP-42S HP 33S HP-32S HP-18C HP 17BII+ HP-16C Perhaps a few others, no Xpander :-( I could sell any of those to raise money because I'm between jobs Later I will regret (like selling my HP-15C) but that's another story AND I'm definately not a "standard" nerd...I just like gadgets I am not a standard nerd either but I like calcs like my: HP-35 * 2 older than me HP-45 * 2 older than me HP-55 older than me HP-9...

HP is allright
My 49g+ "2" key gave up the ghost after only 13 months. HP asked for my serial number, one of the early ones, and said they'd swap it out free of charge. Anyway, how are the current keyboards? Can I get excited? Thanks, Scott Scott Chapin wrote: > Anyway, how are the current keyboards? Can I get excited? Not over that, no. Regards Steen "Steen Schmidt" <ssc01@newmail.dk> wrote in message news:5cisd.410$%83.26@news.get2net.dk... > Scott Chapin wrote: > > > Anyway, how are the current keyboards? Can I get excited? > > Not over that, no...

New HP Business Inkjet 1100D/1100DTN
Has anyone see this new series of printers from HP? I was ready to buy a Business Inkjet 2230, but was told that the 1100D replaces it. The printer sounds pretty good on HP's website: (http://www.hppdi.com/default.aspx?action=unit&seriesid=344&unitnumber=C8124A) 23 ppm draft. Automatic 2-sided printing. It includes separate cartidges for each color, like the 2230 did, so you don't have to replace all colors when one goes empty. However, when looking at cartridges it looks like these are only about 2/3 the size of the cartidges used in the 2230 (at least for col...

HP 6110
I have a HP 6110 multifunction printer. I use this as general printing/flatbed/copier device have been generally pleased with the machine. About 2 months ago, I had a quality issue with grime/dust marks under the glass platen and when I called HP, I was offered a replacement. I accepted. The following is a brief sequence of issues and experiences I had. 1. Communication with their customer service in India was polite but most frustrating. Multiple dropped calls in the middle of an installation instruction and CLEARING an issue with ESL and understand. Even though the tim...

Bios Battery Where????
Where is the bios battery located on the Lenovo r32 laptop?? Or where is it located on any of the lenovos. Joe ************************************************************************** * Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF * * WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS * ************************************************************************** On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:42:49 -1000, Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> wrote in <Pine.BSI.4.61.0701261441300.28912@malasada.lava.net>: >Where is the bi...

HP chooses USB3 over ThunderBolt
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/17/hp-chooses-usb-3-0-over-thunderbolt/ "No value proposition in using Thunderbolt as there are no devices for it......" Firewire 2.0 R.I.P. On 5/23/11 4:27 PM, MuahMan wrote: > http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/17/hp-chooses-usb-3-0-over-thunderbolt/ > > "No value proposition in using Thunderbolt as there are no devices for > it." > > > Firewire 2.0 > > R.I.P. What is your point? On May 23, 5:43=A0pm, Chance Furlong <T-B...@megakatcity.com> wrote: > On 5/23/11 4:27 PM, MuahMan wrote: &g...

HP-UX VTOC ???
Hi, Does HP-UX have the concept of a VTOC ? OS'es like Solaris & AIX store the information about disk partitions in the VTOC(Volume table of contents) on a disk. The VTOC usually contain boot info, partition name, versioning info, number of partitions, sector size in bytes, free space, partition headers etc... for use by bootloader or Filesystems. I couldn't find any information about anything related on HP-UX. Any information or pointers will be appreciated. thanks m On 2005-12-01, Manoj R <manuu@rocketmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > Does HP-UX have the concept o...

HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G Pinout Question...
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row connector, 2mm headers? Also if yes above, do any other HP calculators have the same pinouts as above? Thanx. Therese wrote: > Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) > have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row > connector, 2mm headers? I know these calculators have the same hardware (apart from memory), then they have the same pinout. I know at least ...

HP 64000 using 6800 Pascal Cross Compiler
Hi! I'm looking for the source code for the library routines (e.g. PARAM_, LEAX_B_X, Zbshift, Zequ, Zleq, etc.) needed to execute Pascal programs compiled by the Pascal/64000 compiler for the 6800 microprocessor. I have the relocatable file for the LIB6800. If anyone knows where I can find the source code, or if anyone knows of a workaround, I would be grateful. Thanks, Holly Holly Sherman wrote: > Hi! > I'm looking for the source code for the library routines (e.g. PARAM_, > LEAX_B_X, Zbshift, Zequ, Zleq, etc.) needed to execute Pascal programs > compiled by the Pascal...

HP Pavilion zd7010us review
Hi All, Just thought I would give a short review on tis laptop. Specifications are; Pentium4 2.66GHz processor 512KB Cache 512MB DDR RAM nVidia 440 video with 64MB dedicated RAM 17.1" 1440 x 900 display Full size keyboard /w numeric keypad 60GB Hard drive (4200rpm, 12ms access time) Conexant 56.6 modem Conexant AC-Link Audio Wireless networking Harmon/Kardon speakers Ethernet 4 USB 2.0 Parallel port svideo port 1 PC-Card slot Firewire IrDA VGA port SD Card reader ...

HP blue light
During printhead allignment there is a blue light. Does anybody know how it works? In article <Pve7d.39597$35.1832652@news4.tin.it>, luckyone@iol.it says... > During printhead allignment there is a blue light. > Does anybody know how it works? It's simply a blue LED. There is a sensor next to it to read the reflection. I think the main reason blue is used is because it's 'cool looking.' At work, we have a DesignJet 650C, which uses green. By monitoring the refelection while scanning across the special patterns, the printer can determine ...

HP-49G, HP-49G+, HP-42S
Hmm.... Back when I was an engineering undergrad (1989) I purchased an HP-42S calculator. That calculator quickly became indispensible to me. Without it all my engineering homework and exams would have been much harder. To this day I still use it as my primary calculator. With the leather carrying case I purchased for it back then the calculator has remained in pristine condition save for a little dust now and then. I decided about a year ago to purchase the HP-49G because I honestly thought that HP was getting out of the calculator business forever and it had been over ten years since ...

HPSBUX02248 SSRT071437 rev.1

HP drivers
Apple just released a new set of drivers for HP printers; they require OS X 10.6.1. <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907> Supported printers are listed at <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#HP> -- Member National Rifle Association Member American Civil Liberties Union Member Human Rights Campaign Thanks! On 9/11/09 1:47 PM, in article michelle-925375.11475311092009@news.eternal-september.org, "Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote: > Apple just released a new set of drivers for HP printers; they require OS X > 10.6.1. > <http://support....

HPSBUX02262 SSRT071447 rev. 1

HP 49G Plus manual for the HP 49G
For those who have the 49G with it's skimpy manual, can the 49G Plus manual be used as a substitute? Are there significant differences in the operation of the 49G Plus and 49G? Thx. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- Hi, Apart from speed? No. Regards Dave "howard" <erickson@codenet.net> wrote in message news:3f95e2d5_7@corp.newsgroups.com... > For those who have the 49G with it's skimpy manual, can the...

HPSBMA02340 SSRT080024, SSRT080041 rev.1

HP 48GII vs. HP 49G+
I'm looking into buying either one of these calculators. I was wondering if getting the 49G+ is worth paying an extra 40 dollars for? I know that the 49 has a bigger display and is faster, but other than that what is different? I don't know much about calculators, and I used a TI 83 for highschool. But my brother convinced me to get a HP. I got a 48GX for christmas but the screen broke 2-3 months after that, and now I am borrowing my other brothers TI 85. thanks russ In <16bd5fef.0309181846.166df546@posting.google.com> Russ wrote: > I'm looking into buying either one...

HP DV1000 quickplay/media control buttons
I have a HP dv1000 laptop that has the media quickplay buttons. How do I change which program they open? When I click the music one it use to bring up itunes, now it brings up windows media player. I've tried to go through everything, HP support, the keyboard setup, etc--but nothing. Any help would be great. jadyer@gmail.com wrote: > I have a HP dv1000 laptop that has the media quickplay buttons. How do > I change which program they open? When I click the music one it use to > bring up itunes, now it brings up windows media player. > > I've tried to go through everyt...

HP 7960 #3
I have an HP 7960 and have printed photos here and there before. Recently I printed 148 photos in a row. Using a brand new cartridge 57 and 58, they both ran low enough to affect print quality after 108 prints. Is this normal? If so, is there anything I can do to reduce the ink usage. If this is normal, doing the math in my head, we're basically talking 58 $35.00 57 $25.00 Kodak Paper $25.00 $85 for 100 4x6 prints. That's .85 per print. Walgreens advertises .29 per print from my memory stick. Am I better off taking them there? Also, I noticed if the ink run...

HP Beats Forecasts
From Denys' favorite newspaper: ===================================================================== Hewlett-Packard Rebounds to Beat Forecasts in Quarter November 20, 2003 By STEVE LOHR The Hewlett-Packard Company supplied reassuring evidence yesterday that its business was back on track when it reported quarterly sales and profits that modestly surpassed Wall Street's expectations. The results for the company, whose main businesses are making computers and printers, were closely watched because it had slipped in the previous quarter, disappointing analysts a...

Re: FW: Yahoo! News Story
-----Original Message----- From: Tracy Pierce [mailto:TPierce@goldengate.org] Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:25 AM To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU Subject: Re: [HP3000-L] FW: Yahoo! News Story - HP to Launch Music Store, Digital Mus ic Player >>> What next from HP? >>> Carly dolls? >> Oohh, I want one, I want one! >> Now where did I leave that Voodoo Manual? Try : http://store.yahoo.com/calastrology/voodoo.html * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html ...

HP rockets to No. 5 on list of top U.S. patent recipients
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2004/040112c.html HP Announces Intellectual Property Licensing Group to Leverage Growing Patent Portfolio HP rockets to No. 5 on list of top U.S. patent recipients PALO ALTO, Calif., Jan. 12, 2004 Seeking to leverage its rapidly growing patent portfolio, HP (NYSE:HPQ) - the company with "Invent" in its logo - today announced it has formed an intellectual property (IP) licensing organization designed to increase revenue and improve technical collaborations with partners. The company moved up sharply in the annual list of top 10 private sect...

What can I expect from HP Service?
My Pavilion ze4420us (still under warranty) has gone flakey for the 2nd time in 3 months. Both times it is a NIC problem; I can't get a DHCP lease. First time this occurred I was advised by India to re-install drivers for the NIC, but this time that procedure did not work. After a few phone calls to India, they agreed to take it in. The unit is now back at HP Service Center for the 2nd time in as many weeks. Needless to say, this is quite frustrating. The first time, they simply re-imaged the HD (something I had done 5 times) -- one round-trip on FedEx next day for something that did not ...

Unit reset's when replacing batteries !
Have a m105 for almost 2 years. I now have a problem when I replace the batteries. Using rechargeable alkiline's (1.5 v) since I got the unit. Now every time I replace the batteries I get the palm logo on the screen and loose everything. Make's me re-enter country, date, time, target with stylus...and have to hotsink to get back all of my information. Tried to replace 1 batterie at a time, in about 1 sec. for each and still get the same result. If I am on a trip and take notes I cant change the batteries because I loose everything. Is there an internal batterie I can repl...