HP 34C batteries

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? Do I need to build a pack
myself?

Thanks,

Scott Chapin

0
Reply Scott 1/8/2006 12:17:46 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:17:46 -0600, Scott Chapin wrote:

> Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? [HP34C]

Aside from any vendors still selling expensive original replacements
(which they would have had to make or repair themselves,
since any original cells that old would be dead):

Assuming that you have an existing battery pack,
in which the only essential parts are the thin metal springy clip
which holds both batteries and connects them in series,
and the plastic thingy which sits between the cells, and has
a projection which mates with a hole in the steel spring clip:

Carefully note which way the old batteries are currently facing
(some clips might have a + sign somewhere to help with this),
then replace with standard "flat-top" AA size
NiCd (or NiMH) cells.  Any original tape on the pack
is completely unnecessary, except as a discouragement
for you to have changed the cells yourself,
because the steel clip and plastic thingy
hold the cells perfectly all by themselves (clever design!)

To get "flat-top" (buttonless) AA cells:

o Find cordless phone battery packs made from them,
   remove the shrink wrap and pull off all wiring tabs.

o Find individual cells labeled "Replace-A-Cell" at Radio Shack.

o Buy standard cells with "button" ends, hit end with hammer
   to flatten the end (no joke, this works); it's even possible
   to force standard cells into place, but this will somewhat
   permanently flatten the contacts in the calculator instead,
   and make it hard to use proper cells in the future.

BEFORE anything else, however, make sure to
NEVER RUN on AC adapter unless FRESH cells are already in place!

Otherwise, incautious [cheap] engineering of that entire line
enables them to be fried in a moment from unfiltered voltage spikes,
because the batteries themselves form the essential AC filter
and voltage limiter! -- no zener diodes in those "beauts" :(

[r->] [OFF]
0
Reply John 1/8/2006 1:21:59 AM

Hi John,

If my father had the original pack, he  is no longer with us to tell me
where :-(. I had given this calculator to him, and he loved it. There were a
pair of Radio Shack batteries which he had soldered a strap across, but I
thought they had bottons. Ach....I cannot remember. I tossed them out, since
they were starting to corode. Fortunately, the calculator's contacts were
unscathed.

Scott Chapin

0
Reply Scott 1/8/2006 1:31:46 AM

BTW, flat-top NiCd or NiMH batteries are a standard commodity,
though not usually found at retail except hidden inside
cordless phone battery backs; for example:

http://stores.ebay.com/MegaBatteries-com
http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=12859.25
http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=201

You would want the full-size AA NiCd or NiMH,
labeled either "flat top" or "with tabs"
(in the latter case you would have to pull off the welded
wiring tabs, which are used to make battery packs).

The plastic thingy in the original battery pack simply
prevents the batteries from sliding out at the end;
remove it first, slide out old batteries,
slide in new cells (watch polarity!),
finally slide plastic thingy back in
(until projection snaps into hole in spring clip).

If original pack is entirely missing, just insert cells
into battery compartment, insert metal strip or aluminum foil
at one end, to connect cells in series.  I forget which contact
in the compartment is + vs. -, but if you need this info,
just ask again here.

[r->] [OFF]
0
Reply John 1/8/2006 2:26:16 AM

           -=[ Sun, 8.1.06 5:43 p.m. +1300 (NZDT) ]=-

Hello John H Meyers,  <jhmeyers@miu.edu>

02h17m ago, on Sat, 7.1.06 at 8:26 p.m. -0600, you wrote
in message ID <op.s21fp2quwmwqgg@news.cis.dfn.de> :
[...]
> If original pack is entirely missing, just insert cells
> into battery compartment, insert metal strip or aluminum
> foil at one end, to connect cells in series.

Ahha, that's exactly what I did for my 38C a couple of years
ago. I used some aluminium from an old floppy disk.
Luckily I had a few old "big" NiMH batteries. It's all held
in place by sheer pressure<G>.

> I forget which contact in the compartment is + vs. -, but
> if you need this info, just ask again here.

Here the aluminium joins the two -ve ends.

--
Tony

0
Reply Tony 1/8/2006 4:54:04 AM

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 22:54:04 -0600, Tony Hutchins wrote:

> Luckily I had a few old "big" NiMH batteries.
> It's all held in place by sheer pressure<G>.

So are the original HP34C internals -- nothing is soldered,
the ICs and LED array are just being pressed (by foam) against
the thin folded printed circuit "film," and when everything
begins to flake out, one twists the ends of the case
back & forth to try to rub internal stuff together
to make better contact again!

> Here the aluminium [foil] joins the two -ve ends.

In the HP34C (and entire "Spice" series), the two batteries
must be in series, so at one end a + and - are connected
(originally by the springy thin steel battery holder),
while at the other end of the battery compartment
are two battery contact springs, one each for + and -

However, those latter springs are identical, and there is
no polarity marking anywhere to be seen (except on the
original clever thin steel spring which held two cells
together and furnished the + to - bridge at one end).

We may have a dead HP37E in our office (a victim of
plugging in its AC adapter with dried out batteries);
it would still have its original dead battery pack and spring
in it, if only we knew where it was :)

At home I have my own 34C and 32E, embalmed of course :)

[r->] [OFF]
0
Reply John 1/8/2006 6:04:19 AM

Scott Chapin ����:
> Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? Do I need to build a pack
> myself?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Chapin

I have original unused battery pac 82190A , if you interested to it ,
please send me the email cyiuwai@hotmail.com
0
Reply cyiuwai 1/8/2006 8:44:47 AM

cyiuwai ����:
> Scott Chapin ����:
>> Is there any way to get batteries for this beaut? Do I need to build a pack
>> myself?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott Chapin
>>

> I have original unused battery pac 82190A , if you interested to it ,
> please send me the email cyiuwai@hotmail.com

sorry the model no. is 82109A
0
Reply cyiuwai 1/8/2006 8:45:55 AM

          -=[ Sun, 8.1.06 10:06 p.m. +1300 (NZDT) ]=-

Hello John H Meyers,  <jhmeyers@miu.edu>

03h02m ago, on Sun, 8.1.06 at 00:04 a.m. -0600, you wrote
in message ID <op.s21pthf8wmwqgg@news.cis.dfn.de> :

> > Here the aluminium [foil] joins the two -ve ends.
>
> In the HP34C (and entire "Spice" series), the two batteries
> must be in series, so at one end a + and - are connected
> (originally by the springy thin steel battery holder),
> while at the other end of the battery compartment
> are two battery contact springs, one each for + and -

You got me worried so I popped out the batteries and luckily I
have a + and - on the aluminium, not the "two -ve" I wrote
above. And yes the calc only works with the batteries in one way
 - the battery contact spring nearest to top of the calculator
is negative.

> However, those latter springs are identical, and there is
> no polarity marking anywhere to be seen (except on the
> original clever thin steel spring which held two cells
> together and furnished the + to - bridge at one end).

I wish I'd read your e-mail two years ago - I believe I
clumsily broke the old battery pack.

> We may have a dead HP37E in our office (a victim of
> plugging in its AC adapter with dried out batteries);

I have a live 37E. Must have been lucky not to kill it with
the adapter though. It has the two free-standing<G> NiMH too.
And I charge them in situ.

--
Tony

0
Reply Tony 1/8/2006 9:23:40 AM

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers@miu.edu> wrote in message

<SNIP>

> We may have a dead HP37E in our office

Great. I still have my 37E. I can check out the polarity there!

Scott Chapin

0
Reply Scott 1/8/2006 1:51:45 PM
comp.sys.hp48 9684 articles. 11 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

HP laptop no longer works w/ non-HP battery??
hello, ive got an HP pavillion laptop. would be nice to know the model but i forgot it at home.. but i can tell you the battery says "for Pavilion ZT1000 AT1210, ZT, XZ Series", and mine is one of those. couple years ago the original HP battery wore out, only kept a charge for about 40 minutes. so i purchased a 3rd party replacement. it worked for a year or so, then one day the laptop shut off as i was using it. i discovered the 3rd-party battery was dead -- laptop only worked if plugged in. so i mail-ordered another replacement battery (googled my laptop, they said this works for...

HP ze4610us Freezes moments after switching to battery power, has new battery.
I cant figure this out. I have been scouring the internet for a few months on this issue thinking I could solve it on my own. But I am at my wits end here. It is an HP ze4610us laptop with AMD Athlon XP2500+, 44MB of RAM, 1.8GHz processor, it uses a Proxim Orinoco Gold a/b/g Wireless PCMCIA. The issue is that whenever I unplug the A/C power the computer will work for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes and then freeze requiring a hard reboot. This only happens however when I am connected to the internet. I thought that this was an IRQ problem but cant change which request it uses. It ...

Wanted: Battery cover for HP 2200 series, Hp wants $24!
2210 or 2215, they are the same. The cover has one of the prongs broken and I'm out of warranty by 5 months. I'm not going tp pay HP $24 plus shipping for a piece of plastic. Anyone got one for less or work for HP and can get a courtesy replacement? This is my second HP, after a Jornada 568. You'd think a returning customer would be worth a piece of plastic. -- "Quality is the enemy of production." Homepage - http://members.cox.net/rcbullock/ 'It's lamer than Spaeth's!' ** Replies to rcbullock '"AT"" cox.net ** Sorry, I ...

HP PAVILION ZD7000 Battery Pack, Brand New PAVILION ZD7000 Battery Replacement
HP Pavilion ZD7000 battery is a high quality rechargeable replacement laptop battery which can 100% compatible with the OEM battery which Only the highest quality cells are used in our laptop batteries , we will offer the Fastest Delivery, 30 Days Money Back,one Year Extended Warranty for you,you can Email Us if you have some question about our products. http://www.laptop-battery-pack.co.uk/hp-pavilion-zd7000.htm http://www.usa-batteries.com/laptop/hp-pavilion-zd7000-battery.htm Volt: 14.8V Capacity: 6600mAh Size: 269.79 x 78.89 x 25.67 mm Net Weight: 759.77 g Color: Dark Grey Battery Type: ...

FS: HP BATTERY HSTNN-DB20 [HSTNNDB20] for dv8000, dv8408, etc. series HP laptops
BATTERY - for HP dv8000 series laptops (came w/my =93dv8408us MediaCenter=94) & other HPlaptops. HP GENUINE (OEM) - not unreliable fakes/generics seen on Ebay; as you know generic printcartridges often leak, likewise w/generic batteries you take chances & their manufacturer is not completely aware of HP hostsystem specifics. USA location, ships worldwide. GUARANTEED to be near-new. Practically NEW - charged/ discharged a FEW times only (when I purchased a new HP laptop - updating BIOS required a charged battery). Posted on Ebay, item# 330373876305 - goto www.ebay.com & enter 3303...

More on HP 49G+ and Batteries
Hi-- I took some close-up pictures of the battery compartment on the 49G+. You can find them in a Word document at this link: http://www.adondo.net/batteries.doc Be patient on opening it. It's almost 2MB, even with compacted jpegs. Those warnings about too much "playing" with top right battery spring appear to be well-founded! Chris P.S. I posted a similar message with the native document attached. I'm worried that comp.sys.hp48 is not too compatible with large (huge) messages. "Chris" <Chris@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:b8270d9179720b5f...

HP ze4530us battery
Hi all, Does anyone have an HP ze4530us laptop handy? I just want to know if this laptop will start and run with the battery physically removed from the PC. Reason: I have a client's dead laptop. All indications are a board-level failure. The only thing I question is the battery as it is 100% dead and I don't have a substitute around. Some laptops will not power on without a partially-charged battery installed. I want to know if this may be the case. Thank you. TTCDave I don't have that model, but my HP laptop would boot fine with no battery "TTCDave" <so...

HP DV4000 Battery
I just got a HP DV4000. Unfortunately, the battery that came with it sticks out about 3/4" so that the laptop does not really lay flat :o( I'm "guessing" this is not the 6 cell battery, but the extended 12 cell. How / where can I get the regular battery?? - manzoor ...

battery question-hp
Quick question regarding and old HP N5445 running XP. I believe the battery is shot - indicates 98%, the 97, 96, then shuts down completely.... no warning... The original battery is a 5400mh and I am finding many available in the mid $30's that are 4880 mh... Big difference??? Since it's old I don't want to plunk $70 plus into a battery.... I guess anything has to be better than what I have unless one knows of a way to deep drain and reset the memory... thanks! -- Thanks & B'rgds, Uncle Vinnie ...

HP Battery Life
I am new to this group, hello everyone. I just got my first laptop in December (never thought I needed one), but now I love it to death. I bought the 12 cell battery for my HP dv6000. I was not expecting to see six cells sticking out of the bottom of my laptop, I guess I thought there was some modern technology that could reduce the space needed for the 12 cells. What was I thinking? Problem is, I don't seem to get that much more time from my 12 cell than I did from the 6 cell that my laptop came with. Anyone else notice this problem? Thanks. Scott My friend, at present ...

HP Prime: Battery
Hi, Does anyone has seen the 100% go to another value?. I left my prime for 3 days at 100% and when I checked it, it won't turn on. With USB worked, but when I unplugged it, it said critical batt instantly. Now it says 100% again and works normally. ...

HP LAPTOP BATTERY
` ` For more information, please click there: >>> http://my-best-web.com/12/hp-laptop-battery <<< ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` hp laptop battery hp laptop batteries hp laptop batterys laptop batteries hp laptop battery hp batteries hp laptop battery laptop hp battery hp laptop laptops hp batteries hp battery laptop hp laptops batteries hp laptops ba...

Astech Hardcase for HP 32SII, HP 42S, HP 22S, HP 32S, HP 17BII, PIONEER SERIES
Just got some brand new Astech Industries hardcases. Email iqbal@tstt.net.tt for further information. Ideal hardcase for protecting your pioneer series calculator. ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP-49G, HP-49G+, HP-42S
Hmm.... Back when I was an engineering undergrad (1989) I purchased an HP-42S calculator. That calculator quickly became indispensible to me. Without it all my engineering homework and exams would have been much harder. To this day I still use it as my primary calculator. With the leather carrying case I purchased for it back then the calculator has remained in pristine condition save for a little dust now and then. I decided about a year ago to purchase the HP-49G because I honestly thought that HP was getting out of the calculator business forever and it had been over ten years since ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G Pinout Question...
Hi there, Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row connector, 2mm headers? Also if yes above, do any other HP calculators have the same pinouts as above? Thanx. Therese wrote: > Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+) > have the same pinout? Also do they all use the same ten pin double row > connector, 2mm headers? I know these calculators have the same hardware (apart from memory), then they have the same pinout. I know at least ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

HP 38G HP 39G HP 40G
Ho una calcolatrice HP 40G ma non riesco a trovare i programmi che mi servono. Uso qualche programma della HP 38G che converto per la HP 39/40G Avete programmi per statistica e matematica? Come posso inserire dei file di testo nella calcolatrice? Grazie Per risposte in privato TOGLIQUESTOcezanne76@tiscali.itTOGLIQUESTO ...

Problem while performing StretchBlt on HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050
Our application uses Windows GDI library to perform rendering and display of data/output onto the devices such as Screen and Printer. While I am trying to print the data onto a series of printers (HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050) I am facing a typical problem. Explaination ------------------ 1. Appropriate DC for the intended device is created [Printer DC created for a selected printer in this case] 2. The data is displayed onto the identified position onto the DC The details of data (fields) to be displayed and their position onto the DC is calculated before the prin...

Problem while performing StretchBlt on HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050
Our application uses Windows GDI library to perform rendering and display of data/output onto the devices such as Screen and Printer. While I am trying to print the data onto a series of printers (HP 1010, HP 1018, HP 1020 and HP 3050) I am facing a typical problem. Explaination ------------------ 1. Appropriate DC for the intended device is created [Printer DC created for a selected printer in this case] 2. The data is displayed onto the identified position onto the DC The details of data (fields) to be displayed and their position onto the DC is calculated before the prin...

Where to buy battery for HP Laptop?
What are some good on-line places to buy laptop batteries? Would like to hear your experiences, both good and bad. Thanks, -- Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn't ask a question here if I hadn't done that already. DaveC me@privacy.net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group E-Bay. Not without some risk, but you can get good -- even brand new (still shrink wrapped) batteries that sell for $200 elsewhere, for $30 to $70. DaveC wrote: > What are some good on-line places to buy laptop batteries? > > Would like to hear y...

replacing battery for hp 48s
I have an HP 48S that's about 10 years old. I am wondering if it is ever necessary/possible to replace the internal battery on it. As you may know, this calculator has no ports to swap out RAM cards which is where the battery is held. There definitely is an internal battery because I did a test where I stored a variable, took out the main 3 AAA batteries, and when I put them back in, the variable was still in memeory. Thanks. DN On 21 Oct 2004 11:38:26 -0700, spam_list@yahoo.com (Donald N) wrote: >I have an HP 48S that's about 10 years old. I am wondering >if it is ever...

HP HP Compaq
Hello My company is preparing to replace all our Dell SX270 SmallFormFactors. Because we use HP Proliant Servers I thought it would be a good idea to replace the Dell=92s with HP UltraSlim and/or SFF. Thus I started to look at current models, used models, refurbished models to get a feel on what HP offered new and old. I ended up reasonably confused. I have HP, HP Compaq, Proliant, Pavillion and so forth. To list a few I have HP DC7800, DC7900, HP 6200, HP Compaq 8200-8300 Elite, HP z220, HP Compaq 4000 and so forth. At least with Dell one can buy a SFF in one purchase area. With...