HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G Pinout Question...

Hi there,

Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+)
have the same pinout?  Also do they all use the same ten pin double row
connector, 2mm headers?

Also if yes above, do any other HP calculators have the same pinouts as
above?

Thanx.

0
Therese
2/10/2004 7:07:02 PM
comp.sys.hp48 9763 articles. 2 followers. fbarbaise (60) is leader. Post Follow

Therese wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (not G+)
> have the same pinout?  Also do they all use the same ten pin double row
> connector, 2mm headers?

I know these calculators have the same hardware (apart from memory),
then they have the same pinout.

I know at least 4 of the 10 pins are used : SHIELD, TX, RX and GND.

But I don't know what the purpose of the 6 others is (can anyone have an
answer ?).
0
Khanh

Khanh-Dang wrote:
> I know these calculators have the same hardware (apart from memory),
> then they have the same pinout.
>
> I know at least 4 of the 10 pins are used : SHIELD, TX, RX and GND.
>
> But I don't know what the purpose of the 6 others is (can anyone have
> an answer ?).

The other pins interface to an external LCD display for projection.
0
Eric
2/11/2004 3:30:16 AM
In <qhd68mi987.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com> Eric Smith  wrote:
> Therese wrote:
>> Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (
>> not G+) have the same pinout?  Also do they all use the same ten pin
>> double row connector, 2mm headers?

The pinouts can be found on this page:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ccroft/cable_setup.htm

This is for the 38G, which is identical to the 39G and 40G pinouts.
Note: The new 39G+ would be different since it has a USB (not serial)
port
instead.

I don't know about the 49G.

Joshua King
0
Joshua
2/11/2004 5:31:17 AM
Thanks Joshua,

Do you know if the new 48GII is also USB or does it use the same old
4 pin serial connector as does the GX?

"Joshua King" <jkingkard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In <qhd68mi987.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com> Eric Smith  wrote:
> > Therese wrote:
> >> Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (
> >> not G+) have the same pinout?  Also do they all use the same ten pin
> >> double row connector, 2mm headers?
>
> The pinouts can be found on this page:
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~ccroft/cable_setup.htm
>
> This is for the 38G, which is identical to the 39G and 40G pinouts.
> Note: The new 39G+ would be different since it has a USB (not serial)
> port
> instead.
>
> I don't know about the 49G.
>
> Joshua King

0
Therese
2/11/2004 8:22:15 AM
By the way Joshua according to this URL
http://www.geocities.com/hpcables/hpcables.htm#sec3.3
the 49G has the same pinout as the 38G.

That being said combined with what you say below, I guess that the 38G, 39G,
40G and 49G all have the same pinouts.

Anyone disagree or is this correct?

Thanx.

"Joshua King" <jkingkard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In <qhd68mi987.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com> Eric Smith  wrote:
> > Therese wrote:
> >> Can anyone please tell me if the HP 38G, HP 39G, HP 40G and HP 49G (
> >> not G+) have the same pinout?  Also do they all use the same ten pin
> >> double row connector, 2mm headers?
>
> The pinouts can be found on this page:
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~ccroft/cable_setup.htm
>
> This is for the 38G, which is identical to the 39G and 40G pinouts.
> Note: The new 39G+ would be different since it has a USB (not serial)
> port
> instead.
>
> I don't know about the 49G.
>
> Joshua King

0
Therese
2/11/2004 8:28:00 AM
In <XClWb.1739$t16.1387760@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com> Therese wrote:
> Thanks Joshua,
>
> Do you know if the new 48GII is also USB or does it use the same old
> 4 pin serial connector as does the GX?

You're welcome -- but I have no idea about the rest of the 40's.

Others in the group will be more helpful there.

Joshua King
0
Joshua
2/11/2004 9:21:01 AM
Eric Smith wrote:
>>I know at least 4 of the 10 pins are used : SHIELD, TX, RX and GND.
>>
>>But I don't know what the purpose of the 6 others is (can anyone have
>>an answer ?).
>

> The other pins interface to an external LCD display for projection.

I am not really sure, but I remember I have already seen a projection of
  a hp48, which has only the 4 main pins, am I right ?

Anyway, where can I find further documentation about these 6 others pins ?
0
Khanh

Khanh-Dang <kd@fr.invalid> writes:
> I am not really sure, but I remember I have already seen a projection
> of a hp48, which has only the 4 main pins, am I right ?

Only for the HP-48SX and HP 48GX, because the display interface is on one
of the expansion card slots, which are not present in the HP-48S and HP 48G.
0
Eric
2/11/2004 6:08:09 PM
Hi again,

Just wanted to follow up, is there anyone who can give a
definitive answer as to whether or not the
HP 38G, 39G, 40G and 49G  calculators
all have the same pinout assignments?

Thanks anyone.

"Therese" <therese@nospamplease.com> wrote in message
> By the way Joshua according to this URL
> http://www.geocities.com/hpcables/hpcables.htm#sec3.3
> the 49G has the same pinout as the 38G.
>
> That being said combined with what you say below, I guess that the 38G,
39G,
> 40G and 49G all have the same pinouts.
>
> Anyone disagree or is this correct?
>
> Thanx.
>

> "Joshua King" <jkingkard@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The pinouts can be found on this page:
> >
> > http://members.iinet.net.au/~ccroft/cable_setup.htm
> >
> > This is for the 38G, which is identical to the 39G and 40G pinouts.
> > Note: The new 39G+ would be different since it has a USB (not serial)
> > port
> > instead.
> >
> > I don't know about the 49G.
> >
> > Joshua King