HP50G Installing & Uninstallingl Libraries

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

 I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card using the
filer application. I also know to attach it one can do a warm restart
ON F3. It is also possible to remove a library using the filer
application. Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the
library? Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM and the one in the
middle is removed will a gap remain on memory?
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Cimer@utc.edu
0
Reply Harold 4/30/2009 12:18:57 AM

See related articles to this posting

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:18:57 -0500, Harold A. Climer wrote:

> I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card
> using the filer application. I also know to attach it
> one can do a warm restart ON F3.

> It is also possible to remove a library using the filer application.
> Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the library?

No.

> Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?

Wherever they are stored, that's where they are :)

> For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM
> and the one in the middle is removed will a gap remain on memory?

Nothing can "move" in flash -- whatever is written
is "frozen" in place until its entire bank is next completely erased,
somewhat like a "magic slate" toy, where you can write
until you fill up the slate, then pull a "slider" to erase it all,
then start writing anew until you fill it up again, etc.

"Deleting" is accomplished by simply writing into one byte,
to "mark" an object as "deleted," but it doesn't move,
doesn't get physically erased, just remains until the entire bank
is "reorganized" by retrieving all current contents to RAM,
erasing the entire bank, then storing the "not deleted" content back.

This of course can result in "fragmentation," and in the possibility
that total space adds up to enough to store something new,
but there is no contiguous single area actually large enough
(whereupon I don't remember what happens,
though there have been postings all about it, somewhere).

The following program lets you inspect flash (and ERAM) more closely,
retrieve "deleted" flash items, perhaps even re-organize flash manually:=

http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=3Dpfree

Magic slate, reinvented (patent assignee: Hewlett-Packard):
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6578615.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6972151.html

Magic slate technology meets iPod/iPhone:
http://craziestgadgets.com/2008/11/04/islate-is-an-ipod-holder-and-magic=
-slate/

[r->] [OFF]
0
Reply John 4/30/2009 1:58:40 AM

A further detail:

> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?

Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)

I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
but only matters when it comes to issues of
how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.

[r->] [OFF]
0
Reply John 4/30/2009 2:18:19 AM

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:19 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>A further detail:
>
>> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
>
>Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
>(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
>but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
>(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)
>
>I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
>must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
>like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
>so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
>has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
>but only matters when it comes to issues of
>how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.
>
>[r->] [OFF]

Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
defragment a hard drive?
Also is there a tutorial on using the filer application and specific
instructions to handle files on the SD card, etc.
The manuals area bit weak in this area.
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Cimer@utc.edu
0
Reply Harold 4/30/2009 3:01:46 AM

On 30 avr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:19 -0500, "John H Meyers"
>

> <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> >A further detail:
>
> >> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
>
> >Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
> >(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
> >but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
> >(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)
>
> >I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
> >must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
> >like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
> >so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
> >has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
> >but only matters when it comes to issues of
> >how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.
>
> >[r->] [OFF]
>
> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
> defragment a hard drive?
> Also is there a tutorial on using the filer application and specific
> instructions to handle files on the SD card, etc.
> The manuals area bit weak in this area.
> Harold A Climer
> Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
> U.T, Chattanooga
> Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
> 615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
> Harold-Ci...@utc.edu

I will put soon info on http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/docs/hp50g/hp50g.pdf
about this, if you are interested.
0
Reply merciadriluca 5/30/2009 8:46:34 PM

On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
> defragment a hard drive?

I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545
0
Reply HM 5/31/2009 3:28:07 PM

"HM" <hans.milton@se.abb.com> wrote in message
> On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
>> defragment a hard drive?
>
> I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
> http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545

FMAN is a terrific program, but a user needs to know to NOT interrupt while
it's doing its magic. Do not press [ON] during a pending operation.

That is NOT a reflection on the program or its utility - it's just a case
that one can sorta scramble the Flash if one is impatient. So be PATIENT,
wait for FMAN to finish what it's doing and all be well.

Guilty-of-impatience :-)

0
Reply C 5/31/2009 8:34:06 PM

On Sun, 31 May 2009 08:28:07 -0700 (PDT), HM <hans.milton@se.abb.com>
wrote:

>On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
>> defragment a hard drive?
>
>I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
>http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545

FMAN is good but it exits with a "Bad Argument Value" error upon
pressing PACK so it may not be entirely stable.
0
Reply Anna 5/31/2009 10:00:43 PM
comp.sys.hp48 9605 articles. 10 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

HP50G Installing & Uninstallingl Libraries
I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card using the filer application. I also know to attach it one can do a warm restart ON F3. It is also possible to remove a library using the filer application. Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the library? Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM? For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM and the one in the middle is removed will a gap remain on memory? Harold A Climer Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy U.T, Chattanooga Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building 615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga...

Installing a Library
I'm porting my OSS stuff to HPUX. I've managed to produce what I think is a shared library and I'd like to install it. From looking in /usr/lib the file structure looks like: -r--r--r-- libfoo.a -r-xr-xr-x libfoo.1 lrwxr-xr-x libfoo.sl -> ./libfoo.1 So it looks like I just name the lib libxyz.sl and add a link but what is the '1' for? Is that just an arbirary number used for versioning? If so, how does one specify the backwards compatible version number while linking the sl? I tried and failed to find anything remotely interesting on HPs site. Is there any reference m...

Installing Library (How TO)
I ran across the post that included a link to a periodic table library.... DL'd it.... Do I just copy to my flash memory, or what....(50G) I've never done this...... -- Grumpy Aero Guy > Do I just copy to my flash memory, or what....(50G) Either recall the library to the stack, 2 STO, or easier - use the filer to move it into port 2. Either way, reboot with an ON-C and then you can access it from the LIBS menu, or in the equation libraries case, the APPS key. TW GREAT, thanks.... -- Grumpy Aero Guy "TW" <timwessman@gmail.com> wrote in message new...

Installing libraries
I've been trying to install some libraries to setup a web development environment for Lisp. I'm doing this on a WinXP machine and it seems that a lot of the tutorials and installation utilities are built for UNIX systems. I'm trying to use Uncommon Web, To use that I need Apache with mod_lisp, so I tried setting it up based on Bill Clementson's blog entry http://bc.tech.coop/blog/041111.html Apparently I will also need TBNL, CL-WHO, KMRCL, MD5, and a whole bunch of other libraries. Is there a way to install all this stuff given the limited knowledge/tools available to s...

Install libraries
Hi, please help me how install multi-part libraries on hp50g. such as: http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3926 (It contains 16 files?!!) Thanks, Ali On May 3, 8:16=A0am, Ali <aghighi....@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, please help me how install multi-part libraries on hp50g. > such as:http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=3D3926 > (It contains 16 files?!!) > > Thanks, > Ali Create a directory on your HP 50g (e.g. 'STEAM' CRDIR), then go into it (e.g. press VAR then press STEAM). Then put all 16 of those programs into that directory, and then do 'thermo' O...

Installed libraries
Hi all, I'm trying to install http://ab-initio.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/H5utils, but while configuring ( ./configure) I get the error: "configure: error: hdf5 libraries are required for compilation" I am pretty sure, I already installed the HDF5 library (from the link at the same site), but I guess I should "tell" the H5utils where it is installed (?) Can someone give me a crash course on how these dependencies work? Best regards, Kenneth Am Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2009 09:56, Kenneth Brun Nielsen a écrit : > I'm trying to install http://ab-initio.mit.edu...

library installation
Hi all, I use Linux and the gnu g++ compiler. I'm trying to work with a library but compilation fails that the header files couldn't be located. I installed the library under the /usr/local directory. Then I moved the library directory to /usr/include and I had no problems with the header files but then I had linking problems. hmmm =/ So I copied the lib* files to /usr/lib but it didn't work. What do I have to do??? The best option would be to install the library in usr/local and then to change some environmental variable to account for the location of the header files and th...

installing a library
hello, i am trying to do a project in maple 9.5 on winxp for a class i am in and it requires a non standard library made by people here called mvcal... i have the mvcal.lib and mvcal.ind and an mvcal.mws file... i need to know how to load this library so that i can use its functions.. any help would be much appreciated ~Rick The .lib and .ind files are the library, and the .mws file is a Maple worksheet, probably a demonstration. To install the library you need to create a directory somewhere on your computer, for example "C:\mvcal" and put the .lib and .ind fil...

HP50g
Dear all, I have difficult to use equation groups. Where can I found a god explanation? Tanks, guilippo On Jun 8, 9:52=A0am, guili...@vtxmail.ch wrote: > Dear all, I have difficult to use equation groups. Where can I found a > god explanation? > Tanks, guilippo Search for functions LINSOLVE and SOLVE in the HP 50g User's Manual. Might be what you are looking for. Laurent On Jun 8, 12:27=A0pm, ljferrier <laurent.joliaferr...@free.fr> wrote: > On Jun 8, 9:52=A0am, guili...@vtxmail.ch wrote: > > > Dear all, I have difficult to use equation groups. Where can I fo...

Detect Installed Libraries
A few days back I asked about a message library to be installed in conjuction with another library. It is important that they are both installed. So I would like a way to detect that my message library is installed. I looked and couldn't find a method besides doing something like: 2 PVARS DROP search for libary number T/F (is installed) Is there a more effiecent way/romptr that I can use to guarentee that both libraries are present? Thanks. TW You could use the development lib command XLIB~. It takes two reals: the id of a library and a command in that library. So all you have to ...

Installing Libraries in Power48
Hello Users of that wonderful tool called Power48, I think the tool is great. But there is one thing though, I am trying to install the ALG48 Library using the standard procedure I would use in my HP48GX and it is not working. It seems like it is not recognizing the object. Have any of you successfully installed any library (like ALG48, Erable, QPI, FUMO ) in the power48 emulator? I have tried the three different ways the manual says, converting the object to put it in the external card, copying directly to the external card using a card reader, and converting it to pdb format to install it in...

install libraries in the hp48g2
Anybody knows how i install libraries like tgv and xveiw in my hp48g2, i have tried like i do in hp48g, but, the librarie don't work, and how i see archives .tgv or .xv in hp48g2 after install the librarie? On the 48Gii, you have to use libraries created for the hp49, not the hp48. Then once stored in port, you have to warmstart yourcalculator with [ON][C]. Good luck Arnaud ...

Installing Libraries on the 49G+
Can someone please tell me how to install libraries on the 49G+? I have tried the User's Manual/Guide, and it didn't help. I tried the install instructions on the hpcalc site, and I have searched through the archives on comp.sys.hp48 and I still can't figure out where I am going wrong. Please help! I have never tried to install a library before so if someone could walk me through it I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Eric "Eric Dickerson" <dickerson_eric@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1d98a705.0405022111.104e58f5@posting.google.com... > ...

Verifing installed libraries
Hi.. I have a hosting account in linux, but i need to know if some libraries are installed on this server, i have access by ssh but only to /home/user, can somebody tell me about how i can verify this libraries? ...

Automatically installing libraries?
Here is a problem I am trying to solve; I am sure there must be an easy way to do it and I just don't know how. I have a rather large application that I am writing. To make it easy for the user to run I have them run a startup.py script. This script will try to load each of the third party libraries the application will need. If it is present, great. If it isn't, I would like to automatically install it. This is the heart of my problem: is there a Python equivalent to PERL's CPAN? Peace, Chaz Chaz Ginger wrote: > Here is a problem I am trying to solve; I am sure there ...

installing libraries on the 49G+?
And here comes the next question, because the user manual is starting to really annoy me by not going "in depth" enough. I am trying to install my first program on my 49G+. I copied it onto the calc, into a new directory. Then I tried following the instructions from the (english) user's guide, but failed at the first step (26-8). What exactly am I supposed to do? First of all, I cannot find any reference how to enter certain things. So let's see, "STO(library_variable, port_number) for a variable named xyz.lib... am I supposed to enter the STO by hand? Because hitting th...

installing threads library
Hi, I recently had the good/bad misforture of inadvertently deleting a number of libraries from /lib. One of these libraries is a posix thread library with the name libpthread.so. Because of this, a number of software projects now fail to build; the error the compiler emits is it cannot find a shared library - 32-bit libpthread.so. Instead the compiler is finding a 64-bit ELF formatted version of the library. The compiler is gcc 3.3, the library paths are correctly specified. Which installation CD for Solaris contains the posix thread library, libpthread.so? A search of the 'contents&#...

How do I install this missing library?
Hi guys... work@home:~/lstc/lsopt_2.2/Executables/LSOPT_EXE> ldd lsopt linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000) libg2c.so.0 => not found libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x4002a000) libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x4004d000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000) Yes, I tried Googling for it. The suggested command: ./configure --enable-languages=c,c++,f77 doesn't work. I get: work@home:~/lstc/lsopt_2.2/Executables/LSOPT_EXE> ./configure -bash: ./configure: No such file or directory (same result as root) My O/S is ...

MATLAB library installation
Hello, I am truely new to this place. I have a problem. I am unable to finish installation of MATLAB library. After I started MCRInstaller, it performed system check, extract MATLAB component run time 7.6, etc. and finally asked for changes in the folder of the files. When I clicked the button labelled "Install", the response was that "wizard was interrupted before it install MATLAB components". So the runtime library was not installed. Anybody have any idea about this? Thanks, Charles ...

HP50g and library creation
I am using Libmaker.lib in my HP50g emulator in HPuseredit. To load the library into memory, I need to press the "ON" and "F3" keys simultaneously on the emulator. Can anybody tell me how to do that? Many thanks On 6/19/2013 6:06 AM: > I am using Libmaker.lib in my HP50g emulator in HPuseredit. > To load the library into memory, > I need to press the "ON" and "F3" keys simultaneously on the emulator. Right-click "ON" (with your mouse), then left-click "C" (The right-click "holds down" the clicked e...

installing extra libraries
Hi out there, I tried to install the simple haskell scientific library today, I checked with my package manager to make sure all of the dependencies were met, the first line under installation was to enter the command I entered below, but I got a wierd message. jon@debian:~/Desktop/Haskell/ExtraLibraries/hmatrix-0.2.0.0$ runhaskell Setup.lhs configure --prefix=$HOME --user Setup.lhs: hmatrix.cabal:18: 'Executable' stanza starting with field 'cabal-version' jon@debian:~/Desktop/Haskell/ExtraLibraries/hmatrix-0.2.0.0$ Does anyone know a way around this or anot...

client library installation
Hi, I cannot find out from postgresql.org the tar.gz client library installation from linux, does someone knows the procedure to install *only* client libraries on a linux box? After that I should be able to install the DBD::Pg driver in a smooth way. Or, better, is someone so smart to point out the correct shared objects to copy to the correct directory and the correct environment variable to set? It would be nice to avoid make, make install and to simply copy the needed .so from the server. Coniglio Sgabbiato <nobody@nowhere.it> wrote: > I cannot find out from pos...

Installing Libraries on the 49g+ Help!!!!!!!
I am using a sd card to transfer programs to calc. Filer5 installed atomaticly but Lib man and chem pak did not. How do I get them to install for me to use. thanks for your help. travis "Travis" <tjwood@bmailed.com> wrote in message news:1f51036e.0312081917.3ed786df@posting.google.com... > I am using a sd card to transfer programs to calc. Filer5 installed > atomaticly but Lib man and chem pak did not. How do I get them to > install for me to use. thanks for your help. travis Move them to port 2 (Flash) and reboot (ON-C) [VPN] Problem I have is even more ba...

Installing Boost.asio library
Hi, I am wanting to use the boost.asio library with C++, however i cannot for the life of me get it installed. I installed my distributions boost package (Arch Linux), but for some reason this does not contain asio? Not sure why as i thought asio was part of the core boost library? So my next step was to get it and install myself, i got boost_asio_0_3_9.tar.gz The readme is as follows: ======== Copy the `boost' and `libs' directories into an existing boost 1.33.0, 1.33.1, 1.34 or 1.34.1 distribution. Before using Boost.Asio, the Boost.System library needs to be built. This can be ...

How to know library version installed
Hello, I want to know the library version which my application is using to build. For eg. I want to know the version of /usr/lib/libdl.so in my system. Is there any command for this. -Datha On 2006-06-26, Datha <datha.krishnabhat@gmail.com> wrote: > For eg. I want to know the version of /usr/lib/libdl.so in my > system. Just ls the real file (not the symlink) and look at the file name. In my system such file is a link to /lib/libdl-2.3.5.so, so the version would be 2.3.5. Davide -- Market share leadership is a tenuous thing, Mr. Gates: ask IBM ;-) -- Laurent Szyster ...