HP50G Installing & Uninstallingl Libraries

 I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card using the
filer application. I also know to attach it one can do a warm restart
ON F3. It is also possible to remove a library using the filer
application. Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the
library? Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM and the one in the
middle is removed will a gap remain on memory?
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Cimer@utc.edu
0
Harold
4/30/2009 12:18:57 AM
comp.sys.hp48 9759 articles. 0 followers. fbarbaise (60) is leader. Post Follow

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:18:57 -0500, Harold A. Climer wrote:

> I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card
> using the filer application. I also know to attach it
> one can do a warm restart ON F3.

> It is also possible to remove a library using the filer application.
> Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the library?

No.

> Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?

Wherever they are stored, that's where they are :)

> For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM
> and the one in the middle is removed will a gap remain on memory?

Nothing can "move" in flash -- whatever is written
is "frozen" in place until its entire bank is next completely erased,
somewhat like a "magic slate" toy, where you can write
until you fill up the slate, then pull a "slider" to erase it all,
then start writing anew until you fill it up again, etc.

"Deleting" is accomplished by simply writing into one byte,
to "mark" an object as "deleted," but it doesn't move,
doesn't get physically erased, just remains until the entire bank
is "reorganized" by retrieving all current contents to RAM,
erasing the entire bank, then storing the "not deleted" content back.

This of course can result in "fragmentation," and in the possibility
that total space adds up to enough to store something new,
but there is no contiguous single area actually large enough
(whereupon I don't remember what happens,
though there have been postings all about it, somewhere).

The following program lets you inspect flash (and ERAM) more closely,
retrieve "deleted" flash items, perhaps even re-organize flash manually:=

http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=3Dpfree

Magic slate, reinvented (patent assignee: Hewlett-Packard):
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6578615.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6972151.html

Magic slate technology meets iPod/iPhone:
http://craziestgadgets.com/2008/11/04/islate-is-an-ipod-holder-and-magic=
-slate/

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
4/30/2009 1:58:40 AM
A further detail:

> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?

Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)

I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
but only matters when it comes to issues of
how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
4/30/2009 2:18:19 AM
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:19 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>A further detail:
>
>> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
>
>Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
>(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
>but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
>(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)
>
>I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
>must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
>like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
>so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
>has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
>but only matters when it comes to issues of
>how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.
>
>[r->] [OFF]

Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
defragment a hard drive?
Also is there a tutorial on using the filer application and specific
instructions to handle files on the SD card, etc.
The manuals area bit weak in this area.
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Cimer@utc.edu
0
Harold
4/30/2009 3:01:46 AM
On 30 avr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:19 -0500, "John H Meyers"
>

> <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> >A further detail:
>
> >> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
>
> >Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
> >(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
> >but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
> >(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)
>
> >I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
> >must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
> >like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
> >so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
> >has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
> >but only matters when it comes to issues of
> >how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.
>
> >[r->] [OFF]
>
> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
> defragment a hard drive?
> Also is there a tutorial on using the filer application and specific
> instructions to handle files on the SD card, etc.
> The manuals area bit weak in this area.
> Harold A Climer
> Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
> U.T, Chattanooga
> Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
> 615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
> Harold-Ci...@utc.edu

I will put soon info on http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/docs/hp50g/hp50g.pdf
about this, if you are interested.
0
merciadriluca
5/30/2009 8:46:34 PM
On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
> defragment a hard drive?

I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545
0
HM
5/31/2009 3:28:07 PM
"HM" <hans.milton@se.abb.com> wrote in message
> On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
>> defragment a hard drive?
>
> I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
> http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545

FMAN is a terrific program, but a user needs to know to NOT interrupt while
it's doing its magic. Do not press [ON] during a pending operation.

That is NOT a reflection on the program or its utility - it's just a case
that one can sorta scramble the Flash if one is impatient. So be PATIENT,
wait for FMAN to finish what it's doing and all be well.

Guilty-of-impatience :-)

On Sun, 31 May 2009 08:28:07 -0700 (PDT), HM <hans.milton@se.abb.com>
wrote:

>On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
>> defragment a hard drive?
>
>I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
>http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545

FMAN is good but it exits with a "Bad Argument Value" error upon
pressing PACK so it may not be entirely stable.
0
Anna