HP50G Installing & Uninstallingl Libraries

 I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card using the
filer application. I also know to attach it one can do a warm restart
ON F3. It is also possible to remove a library using the filer
application. Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the
library? Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM and the one in the
middle is removed will a gap remain on memory?
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Cimer@utc.edu
0
Harold
4/30/2009 12:18:57 AM
comp.sys.hp48 9721 articles. 11 followers. fbarbaise (60) is leader. Post Follow

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:18:57 -0500, Harold A. Climer wrote:

> I know it is possible to install a library from a SD card
> using the filer application. I also know to attach it
> one can do a warm restart ON F3.

> It is also possible to remove a library using the filer application.
> Is it necessary to do a warm restart after removing the library?

No.

> Also how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?

Wherever they are stored, that's where they are :)

> For example: If 3 libraries reside in Flash RAM
> and the one in the middle is removed will a gap remain on memory?

Nothing can "move" in flash -- whatever is written
is "frozen" in place until its entire bank is next completely erased,
somewhat like a "magic slate" toy, where you can write
until you fill up the slate, then pull a "slider" to erase it all,
then start writing anew until you fill it up again, etc.

"Deleting" is accomplished by simply writing into one byte,
to "mark" an object as "deleted," but it doesn't move,
doesn't get physically erased, just remains until the entire bank
is "reorganized" by retrieving all current contents to RAM,
erasing the entire bank, then storing the "not deleted" content back.

This of course can result in "fragmentation," and in the possibility
that total space adds up to enough to store something new,
but there is no contiguous single area actually large enough
(whereupon I don't remember what happens,
though there have been postings all about it, somewhere).

The following program lets you inspect flash (and ERAM) more closely,
retrieve "deleted" flash items, perhaps even re-organize flash manually:=

http://www.hpcalc.org/search.php?query=3Dpfree

Magic slate, reinvented (patent assignee: Hewlett-Packard):
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6578615.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6972151.html

Magic slate technology meets iPod/iPhone:
http://craziestgadgets.com/2008/11/04/islate-is-an-ipod-holder-and-magic=
-slate/

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
4/30/2009 1:58:40 AM
A further detail:

> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?

Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)

I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
but only matters when it comes to issues of
how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.

[r->] [OFF]
0
John
4/30/2009 2:18:19 AM
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:19 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>A further detail:
>
>> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
>
>Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
>(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
>but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
>(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)
>
>I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
>must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
>like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
>so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
>has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
>but only matters when it comes to issues of
>how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.
>
>[r->] [OFF]

Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
defragment a hard drive?
Also is there a tutorial on using the filer application and specific
instructions to handle files on the SD card, etc.
The manuals area bit weak in this area.
Harold A Climer
Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
U.T, Chattanooga
Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Cimer@utc.edu
0
Harold
4/30/2009 3:01:46 AM
On 30 avr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:18:19 -0500, "John H Meyers"
>

> <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> >A further detail:
>
> >> how are libraries stored in Flash RAM?
>
> >Flash is not RAM; it's more like ROM
> >(since it actually also stores the calculator "ROM"),
> >but it's an "eraseable, rewriteable ROM"
> >(back to the "magic slate" analogy :)
>
> >I believe that library functions in "port 2" (flash)
> >must be _copied_ into actual RAM ("TEMPOB") for running,
> >like objects in "covered" ports in HP48GX,
> >so their physical storage (and any "gaps" for "deleted" objects)
> >has little relevance when thinking of how on-board RAM is used,
> >but only matters when it comes to issues of
> >how to store more stuff into flash, when flash is fragmented.
>
> >[r->] [OFF]
>
> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
> defragment a hard drive?
> Also is there a tutorial on using the filer application and specific
> instructions to handle files on the SD card, etc.
> The manuals area bit weak in this area.
> Harold A Climer
> Dept. Of Physics Geology, and Astronomy
> U.T, Chattanooga
> Rm. 406A Engineering, Math & Computer Science Building
> 615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga TN 37403
> Harold-Ci...@utc.edu

I will put soon info on http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/docs/hp50g/hp50g.pdf
about this, if you are interested.
0
merciadriluca
5/30/2009 8:46:34 PM
On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
> defragment a hard drive?

I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545
0
HM
5/31/2009 3:28:07 PM
"HM" <hans.milton@se.abb.com> wrote in message
> On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
>> defragment a hard drive?
>
> I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
> http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545

FMAN is a terrific program, but a user needs to know to NOT interrupt while
it's doing its magic. Do not press [ON] during a pending operation.

That is NOT a reflection on the program or its utility - it's just a case
that one can sorta scramble the Flash if one is impatient. So be PATIENT,
wait for FMAN to finish what it's doing and all be well.

Guilty-of-impatience :-)

On Sun, 31 May 2009 08:28:07 -0700 (PDT), HM <hans.milton@se.abb.com>
wrote:

>On 30 Apr, 05:01, Harold A. Climer <Harold-Cli...@utc.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks. Is there a program to defragment Flash memory like you can
>> defragment a hard drive?
>
>I find FMAN very handy for organizing flash:
>http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6545

FMAN is good but it exits with a "Bad Argument Value" error upon
pressing PACK so it may not be entirely stable.
0
Anna

Installing ruby-db2-0.4 for DB2 gives SQLConnect() errors.
Hi, I'm new to Ruby and i was trying to install the "ruby-db2-0.4" package and i'm getting the below error. Can any one please guide me. I folled the instructions as per the Readme. I'm using DB2 V 8.1.4. I have installed DB2 CLI. Also i have set the path to poing to DB2DIR=C:\Progra~1\IBM\SQLLIB, but when i run "ruby setup.rb setup" i get the below error. entering setup phase... c:/ruby/bin/ruby extconf.rb checking for SQLConnect() in db2cli.lib... no ABORT: Could not locate DB2 libraries or headers! Please set DB2DIR to your DB2 directory, e.g. /usr/IB...

Installing PASE
Hi All I'm trying to use use PASE to run Korne shell scripts developed in Unix. The AS400 machine I'm using is V4R4M0. When I type >>CALL QP2TERM<<, I get the message: Program QP2TERM in library *LIBL not found. Does this mean that PASE is not properly installed or configured. How can I get it to work? Thanks Elliot il 28/08/2007 18.52, Scrive Elliot 39265952: > Hi All > > I'm trying to use use PASE to run Korne shell scripts developed in > Unix. The AS400 machine I'm using is V4R4M0. > > When I type >>CALL QP2TERM<<, I get the...

A Problem Installing Cygwin
I finally carved out some time to install CygWin on my Win XP machine via the RedHat Cygwin official installation facility. I downloaded rhsetup.exe to start. I requested install via the internet, and it died somewhere along the line. I then tried again, requesting download instead. I now have about 120 folders in my download folder for cygwin. I don't see any indication it installed. I was expecting some (exe) install program somewhere. What next? -- W. eWatson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site...

Re: Question Installing latest Python
=0A---------------------------- On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 4:55 PM CEST Steven D'Aprano wrote: >On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 01:11 am, =CE=A6=CF=8E=CE=BD=CF=84=CE=B1=CF=82 =CE=9B= =CE=B1=CE=B4=CE=BF=CF=80=CF=81=CE=B1=CE=BA=CF=8C=CF=80=CE=BF=CF=85=CE=BB=CE= =BF=CF=82 wrote: > >> =CE=A4=CE=B7 =CE=9A=CF=85=CF=81=CE=B9=CE=B1=CE=BA=CE=AE, 26 =CE=91=CF=80= =CF=81=CE=B9=CE=BB=CE=AF=CE=BF=CF=85 2015 - 6:05:50 =CE=BC.=CE=BC. UTC+3, = =CE=BF =CF=87=CF=81=CE=AE=CF=83=CF=84=CE=B7=CF=82 Steven >> D'Aprano =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 01:00 am, =C...

having installed cygwin on windows xp...
I now need to know how to run sshd as a login process. Any help? On Feb 28, 8:00 am, SpreadTooThin <bjobrie...@gmail.com> wrote: > I now need to know how to run sshd as a login process. > Any help? What do you exactly mean with "login process"? Do you mean startup or service processes? If so, it itself asks you about installing as service, when you're setting up through GUI (cygwin compilation packages). Anyway if you have not answered "yes" to the question regarding installing as service, you can do so by running ssh-host-config in the terminal. It will a...

INSTALLING A RPM
I am trying to install Limewire in Linux. Using the RPM. However, I need some help to install an RPM since I have never done that. I am using Ubuntu Linux. Thank You "vreyesii" <drbk563@gmail.com> writes: > I am trying to install Limewire in Linux. Using the RPM. However, I > need some help to install an RPM since I have never done that. I am > using Ubuntu Linux. http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+install+rpm -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net/ "vreyesii" <drbk563@gmail.com> writes: >I am trying to install Limewire in Linux. Using the RPM....

ASPI Installed but failed to initialize 0xEB ASPI is properly installed but unable to initialize
ASPI Installed but failed to initialize 0xEB ASPI is properly installed but unable to initialize (0x%02(x)). What is the problem with this as a result of this my 1394 external devices and scanner cannot be used. On my other computers I had no problems with it. Suggestions ? andylouie@hotmail.com (Andy Louie) wrote in message news:<b558ed83.0307130922.2289d798@posting.google.com>... > ASPI Installed but failed to initialize 0xEB ASPI is properly > installed but unable to initialize (0x%02(x)). What is the problem > with this as a result of this my 1394 external devices and scann...

Creating an updated release install file set

newbie quickstart for HP50g
I just got HP 50g as a gift. My last graphing calculator was TI-83 so this is HUGE step for me, different menu style (TI -> HP) an much more options and functionality. I have red the manual (normal, not entirely, just sections of interest to me). Are there any pages/manuals on net with many examples HOW TO or similar things... BTW. currently I am learning complex analysis so I wanted to draw some complex function to visualize how do things look like. After that I'll be stepping into differential equations but first thing first... tnx On 23 Gen, 19:30, vexx <vexxm...@gmail.co...

Ubuntu Nappy victim: has wasted 20 hours on installs... system still dog-slow
"No it happens with any version of 11.04. I've downloaded and installed (and md5 checksumed) the 32-bit alternate 11.04, the 64-bit alternate 11.04, the 32-bit desktop version and the 32-bit kubuntu alternate 11.04 version. Each one takes between 4 and 6 hours to install. And has serious issues with slowness once its installed. That's why I think it would be kernel issues, but again my upgrading the kernel didn't seem to change things. It sounds like I may just be back to 10.04 for now." #24 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743324&page=3 Gotta ...

Setup: One Serial and Multiple Installed Software
Hello all, I have three tables Employess, Equipment, and Software. I have tried without success to figure out how to show a single Equipment Serial Number show all the software installed on that machine. For example: if the Equipment Table had Serial Numbers: 123 and 456 in it. And the Software Table had Widget Version 4, Fishing Version 2, and Vacation Version 10 in it.. How would I show in a Form: Serial Number: 123 Installed Software 1. Widget Version 4 2. Vacation Version 10 Then Click the next button and this page would show Serial Number 456 Installed Software ...

RPM-less install of Mozilla
My RH 9 came with Mozilla 1.2.x (I forgot which). It does not correctly display the login page for my SMC Barricade cable-router, which, of course, is hard-coded in ROM. It is a simple frameset page. Netscape 4.7 on an older box, still running a 1.3 kernel works fine. This suggests a horrific problem, but that's another matter. In the hopes that this was some big "Oops" I pulled down the install tar.gz for Mozilla 1.6 from the mozilla.org website. I used R-H's gui ("You're a windows idiot user, and we don't want you to understand what's going o...

Problem instaling Curses.pm on Cygwin
Hi, I tried installing Curses.pm, on Cygwin, without success. Here is an excerpt from the end of the output of "make" : -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Curses.c:233: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size Curses.c: In function `c_sv2screen': Curses.c:254: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size Curses.c: In function `c_sv2window': Curses.c:275: warning: passing arg 1 of `Perl_sv_isa' from incompatible pointer type Curses.c:275: warning: passing arg 2 of `Perl_sv_isa' from incompatible pointe...

Eclipse 3.2 and CVS
I'm using Eclipse 3.2 and have to install CVS to run via Eclipse. Ifanyone else is using CVS w/Eclipse and knows where to obtain CVS andinstructions to set it up I'd appreciate it. It is very unclear usingGoogle searches where CVS for Windows/Eclipse actually lives. Thanksin advance ddog wrote:> I'm using Eclipse 3.2 and have to install CVS to run via Eclipse. If> anyone else is using CVS w/Eclipse and knows where to obtain CVS and> instructions to set it up I'd appreciate it. It is very unclear using> Google searches where CVS for Windows/Eclipse actually lives. Th...

Installing IDS 7.x on Windows NT
Hi I would like to install IDS 7.x for workgroup on Windows NT machine that do not have any network installed on it. I don�t want to install network card on machine. Can someone please help with the configuration setup for 'Client and Server on the Same System via Shared Memory connection'? What must the NETTYPE setting be in the ONCONFIG, etc. (Any information regarding this issue would help) Regards David Reed --------------------------------------------- This message was sent using MWEB Airmail. JUST LIKE THAT http://airmail.mweb.co.za/ sending to in...

JNLP installer-desc question

Kickstart Install Problems
Hi, I'm building an 8 node Linux Cluster using xcat as my setup tool. I have things set up to do a network install when I boot my compute nodes. When the first one starts coming up it loads pxelinux.0 fine via tftp. It seems to grab the *.ks file correctly but hangs after mounting /install/rh73 and prints the line: EXT2-FS warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended. What is going on? G gwlu@chevron.com (Greg) wrote in message news:<43b16c07.0309300710.31cc8875@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I'm building an 8 node Linux Cluster using...

Installing uigetfiles dll?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get the dll file for uigetfiles to load into Matlab. I am using version 7 release 14. If some one could explain the process for actually loading in the .dll and .m files, I would be very greatful. Also, I may be placing the files in the wrong folder, so any help on this would also be helpful. Thanks Jason Watson bump I still need help with this problem. I am just trying to run a script with the uigetfiles function. Thanks Jason Watson Jason Watson wrote: > > > Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get the...

install PRI2 / Qsig
Hi I have fitted a new PRI and enter done the LD 17 CHG CEQU then allocate the slot any idea where i go from here Regards The Riddler ...

Repeat operation on HP50g
Hi all, Let's say I have the following on the stack: #FF13h I can use RL to rotate this 1 bit to the left. But what if I want to rotate it 5 bits of 7 bits? Is there a small RPL program or better way to repeat the operation n times? Thanks, Titus On Sep 30, 5:18=A0pm, Titus Barik <ti...@barik.net> wrote: > Hi all, > > Let's say I have the following on the stack: > > #FF13h > > I can use RL to rotate this 1 bit to the left. But what if I want to > rotate it 5 bits of 7 bits? Is there a small RPL program or better way > to repeat the operation n t...

Need Help in install Boost on Redhat Linux
Hello I try to install boost_1_33_1 on RedHat Linux. I have downloaded boost into /user/dtgtools/tmp and I try to install it into /user/dtgtools/packages/boost. I use the following commands: export PYTHON_ROOT="/user/dtgtools/packages/python/2.5" export PYTHON_LIB_PATH="/user/dtgtools/packages/python/2.5/lib/python2.5" export PYTHON_INCLUDES="/user/dtgtools/packages/python/2.5/include/python2.5" ../bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" --prefix=/user/dtgtools/packages/boost install The gcc version I used is: gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-47) and I ...

Error in installing Office 2004
In installing Office 2004 on a new MacMini I managed to omit a letter from the last name. How can I go about correcting the spelling of the name? Need I remove Office and reinstall, or is there a preference file that can be deleted and rebuilt? Thanks, antares ...

Where is the library for balanced binary trees?
Hi all: I need to write some programs using balanced binary trees. The command "man -k tree" showed several possibilities. There is a package including routines like "tree_init, tree_add, etc." But I couldn't compile because the library is not found. So, where is it? Pleasee help. Thanks a lot! vector sigma galactic_war@yahoo.com Hi, > I need to write some programs using balanced binary trees. The > command "man -k tree" showed several possibilities. There is a package > including routines like "tree_init, tree_add, ...

gem install of amatch fails for me
Hi... venturing into rubygems land I tried... # gem install amatch Attempting local installation of 'amatch' Local gem file not found: amatch*.gem Attempting remote installation of 'amatch' Building native extensions. This could take a while... ruby extconf.rb install amatch creating Makefile make make: Nothing to be done for 'all'. make install install -c -p -m 0755 amatch.so /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/amatch-0.1.4/lib Successfully installed amatch-0.1.4 Installing RDoc documentation for amatch-0.1.4... seems fine so far, but... # which agrep.rb /usr/bin/ag...

[News] Installing Linux as Simple Installing Adobe Flash in Windows
Installing Debian Etch From A Windows System With "Debian-Installer Loader" ,----[ Quote ] | Debian-Installer Loader is a Debian Etch installer for Windows which adds an | entry to the boot menu that allows you to start the Debian installation. | Unlike the Ubuntu installation with Wubi, real Debian partitions are created | during the installation. In the end, you have a dual-boot system | (Windows/Debian). `---- http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_windows_installer It is therefore not surprising that Debian's offspring is so well accepted. It's even preinstalled... ...