Archiving AS400 data

I have just implemented an ERP in a small manufacturing company and we
no longer have any applications running on our AS400.  However we do
need to keep certain information from the AS400 available for seven
years.  The key manufacturing application on the AS400 was a modified
BPICS app.  My question is... what sort of solutions are available to
archive this data?   Can it be transferred to a server and accessed by
a reporting tool?  Should we move it to service provider?  Should we
keep the AS400 plugged (unplugged) for the next seven years?....etc.

0
lheald (1)
9/27/2005 12:39:02 PM
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

Is the data DB2/UDB?  What sort of data tools do you
you have on your new platform?  You could extract the
data to another platform.  However, to make any sense
out of it would require programming.  If your company
has been audited on a regular basis, the audit reports
should suffice for the seven years. The working papers
are used to support the audited financials not live data.
Dick J (AZ)

Larry wrote:
> I have just implemented an ERP in a small manufacturing company and we
> no longer have any applications running on our AS400.  However we do
> need to keep certain information from the AS400 available for seven
> years.  The key manufacturing application on the AS400 was a modified
> BPICS app.  My question is... what sort of solutions are available to
> archive this data?   Can it be transferred to a server and accessed by
> a reporting tool?  Should we move it to service provider?  Should we
> keep the AS400 plugged (unplugged) for the next seven years?....etc.

0
dickjaz (5)
9/27/2005 2:34:00 PM
"DickJ AZ" <dickjaz@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is the data DB2/UDB?  What sort of data tools do you
> you have on your new platform?  You could extract the
> data to another platform.  However, to make any sense
> out of it would require programming.  If your company
> has been audited on a regular basis, the audit reports
> should suffice for the seven years. The working papers
> are used to support the audited financials not live data.
> Dick J (AZ)
>
> Larry wrote:
>> I have just implemented an ERP in a small manufacturing company and
>> we
>> no longer have any applications running on our AS400.  However we do
>> need to keep certain information from the AS400 available for seven
>> years.  The key manufacturing application on the AS400 was a modified
>> BPICS app.  My question is... what sort of solutions are available to
>> archive this data?   Can it be transferred to a server and accessed
>> by
>> a reporting tool?  Should we move it to service provider?  Should we
>> keep the AS400 plugged (unplugged) for the next seven years?....etc.

You should keep your AS/400 because you are going to regret moving off
of it.

0
scott1328 (345)

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

AS400 to AS400 connection

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

IBM AS400

From a AS400 with a CCSID to another AS400 with different CCSID
Hi all, I've the following issue: - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) to another AS400 with CCSID 37 I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in the special characters... So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... What do you suggest to do? Many thanks in advance. Fabrizio On 09-Jun-2011 05:47 , Fabrizio wrote: > > I've the following issue: > > - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) > to another AS400 with CCSID 37 > > I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, > but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in > the special characters... > > So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I > can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... > > What do you suggest to do? > The system CCSID QCCSID is effectively moot in that scenario as far as I can recall. What do matter are the CCSID of the job opening the file and then reading the data, and the CCSID of the columns of the file being opened. When the job is set to a proper CCSID, then whenever the data is also "tagged" properly with a CCSID [e.g. column of a table with a non-hex (non-65535) CCSID], the database will convert the dat...

Web data to AS400
Yes I still call it an AS400. I have someone who as home grown software and a website hosted by someone else. He wants to be able to get the web orders into the system automatically and asked me how to do it. I know there are probably 6 ways to Sunday to get this done, but I am exploring all options. They have a website programmer, but no AS400 programmer. The website guy said he knows PHP pretty well and they are on V5R1. I am fairly good as RPG, RPGLE, CLP programming and then some. What would be an easy way to get this information to the system? Thanking any suggestions, I do thank all the pros for taking time to post to this group. "Chad White" <chadwhite12@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3a886508-1295-4ca1-bffb-b62576d2f863@a21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Yes I still call it an AS400. I have someone who as home grown > software and a website hosted by someone else. He wants to be able to > get the web orders into the system automatically and asked me how to > do it. I know there are probably 6 ways to Sunday to get this done, > but I am exploring all options. They have a website programmer, but > no AS400 programmer. The website guy said he knows PHP pretty well > and they are on V5R1. I am fairly good as RPG, RPGLE, CLP programming > and then some. > > What would be an easy way to get this information to the system? > > Thanking any suggestions, > > I do thank all the pros for taking time to ...

link table IBM AS400
Hi. Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. I dont't know the exact message). I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. Here an abstract txt BOLAZI;BOLCLI;BOLDBO;BOLNBO;BOLCAU;BOLNPR;BOLTRE;BOLMAT;BOLDES [........] [........] ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato 0;474;990204;354;10;1;1; 936;PC Intel Pentium II 400 Miditower 0;474;990204;354;10;4;1; 1890;CD-ROM drive 36X 0;474;990204;354;10;5;1; 1692;HD-SCSI 4.5 Gb IBM Ultrastar WIDE 7200 0;474;990204;354;10;6;1; 1497;HD-SCSI 9.1 Gb IBM DDRS-39130 UWIDE [........] Thanks in advance M. "Mire" <mary@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buo9eo$k39dq$1@ID-57790.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hi. > Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. > My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). > > The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. > I dont't know the exact message). > I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. > > If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. > &...

Data Migration from AS400 to PC
Hi I have lots of files in AS400 I need to convert to PC. I use the "manually" process of using client acess. Is there a way of automating the process of migrating data from AS to PC. Thanks Paulo Portugal On Mar 28, 6:17=A0pm, white hair <PauloTrigoMor...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > I have lots of files in AS400 I need to convert to PC. I use the > "manually" process of using client acess. Is there a way of automating > the process of migrating data from AS to PC. > Thanks > Paulo > Portugal What kind of database on the PC? For SQL you could use DTS. For Excel I like CVTPFXLS (3rd party shareware). There is also the OS command CPYTOIMPF. FROG does a good job of building CSV files. SQL queries can also be used. Try FTP. This is for flat files (may be indexed) If you don't bother to copy the files first to QS36F and name the member like the file name than you may use the program that I stored at http://www.prym.nl/getme Just enter IP of the AS/400 (could be anywhere) userid and password, the file to get (member name must equal file name) and destination. Than Start Let me know if you are going to use it. Cheers, Ace white hair wrote: > Hi > I have lots of files in AS400 I need to convert to PC. I use the > "manually" process of using client acess. Is there a way of automating > the process of migrating data from AS to PC. > Thanks > Paulo > Portugal "Ace" <no@spam.pls>...

browser access to as400 data
how do I secure browser access to as400 data? Should the user be logging onto the website which provides access to data on the as400? No doubt, but what should the user name and password be? If the user logs on with an as400 user name and password, how do you prevent the password from being transmitted thru the web, from the browser to the web server? The web server in this case is a windows xp PC with IIS installed. The usage has, to date, been limited to users behind the firewall. Now there is a need for users in another location to access this internal web server. thanks, If you use an HTTPS connection (instead of plain HTTP), there should be no issues with visible passwords. Whether the user authenticates as a Windows user to the webserver, or as an AS/400 user to the underlying database, or whether Single-Sign- On should be used (authenticating to Windows and AS/400 with the same credentials) is difficult to say without more information about your situation. On Sep 22, 11:28=A0am, "walker.l2" <walker...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote: > If you use an HTTPS connection (instead of plain HTTP), there should > be no issues with visible passwords. > > Whether the user authenticates as a Windows user to the webserver, or > as an AS/400 user to the underlying database, or whether Single-Sign- > On should be used (authenticating to Windows and AS/400 with the same > credentials) is difficult to say without more information about your > situa...

PowerPC extensions for IBM AS400

as400 data modelling tool
hi, we are evaluating data modelling tools. On the iseries, we mostly have 6 char field names which can go to a max of 10. For our data modelling tool, we would like to swap between pictures showing the column names and pictures showing the comment as the column name. Thus, we want to be able to map comments to be column names for friendly viewing. Is there a tool that can do this (I know there are tools that can report column names and comments, but we need the picture). If none exist, does ERwin work well against the 400? ERwin has some support for AS/400 (ie, System i), but they don't support all the latest features. You might consider Rational Data Architect v7, I believe you can download a free trial from their website. ibcarolek wrote: > hi, we are evaluating data modelling tools. On the iseries, we mostly > have 6 char field names which can go to a max of 10. For our data > modelling tool, we would like to swap between pictures showing the > column names and pictures showing the comment as the column name. > Thus, we want to be able to map comments to be column names for > friendly viewing. Is there a tool that can do this (I know there are > tools that can report column names and comments, but we need the > picture). If none exist, does ERwin work well against the 400? > -- Kent Milligan ISV Enablement - System i kmill@us.eye-bee-m.com (spam trick) GO HAWKEYES!! >>> ibm.com/iseries/db2 (opinions stated are no...

IBM AS400 certfication test papers
Aprax Consulting believes in developing professionals who believe in themselves and are equipped with the latest state of the art in their respective fields, professionals who are confident and can compete in the challenging world. The endeavor is to inculcate a desire for continuous improvement, a sense of healthy competition, and sensitivity towards ethical and moral values. Aprax consulting offers all types of certification test papers, dumps with 100% assurance of passing. 100% Money refunded if failed (except courier charges). All IBM certification including Mainframe certification, AS400 certification test papers available. IBM MAINFRAME DB2 certification IBM AS/400 RPGILE certification Contact: Aprax Consulting Ph(M): +91-9873500678 URL: www.apraxindia.com Email: hr@apraxindia.com Your 1st sentence is grammatically incorrect and doesn't make any sense. One question: Isn't your moral values endeavor compromised by selling dumps? ...

Help
Hello, I need some help.I'm developing a solution for a customer, who as a AS400 system. I have developed a Web solution but kno they want to have me to interact with the AS400. They have absolut now programming experience - I have a lot but not on a AS400. The solutoon I'm after is to call the programon the AS400 and maybe send keybvoard input to the AS400 in order to put data to the AS400. In regard to receiving data I have an Ide to type in the command and then parse the screnn returned to me into the web. However looking into the 5250 protocol I can see that it is not an easy job. How can I solve this problem ? The customer has a very small budget but really need the functionallity. Cheers Henrik PC5250 supports an API, I think it's called ENHLLAPI. Check out the help on the app, and possibly in Informatino Center. If you're using a different emulator, such as Rumba, you'll have to check their documentation, but I believe they also support similar function. Anyway, the API basically lets your application 'read' the screen, and poke keystrokes. "heboth" <henrik_thystrup@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:56ea9eda.0411051339.1ab3f3e9@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I need some help.I'm developing a solution for a customer, who as a > AS400 system. I have developed a Web solution but kno they want to > have me to interact with the AS400. They have absolut now programming > experience - I have a lo...

AS400 Data Transfer into Simplified Chinese
Hi, I am trying to transfer a file with simplified Chinese characters using the AS400 Data Transfer Utility. I am using Win2000 (chinese (PRC) as the locale), V5R3 Service Pack SI17742. I have set the emulator's host code page to 1388 (Simplified Chinese). When I downloaded the file, I saw strange characters. Then, I changed the user profile to CCSID = 935 and successfully download the file to view the simplified chinese characters. However, I then tried to enter Equation and it prompts an error. Is there anyway to work around this problem? Thanks a lot! ...

How to edit data in a document which is in an as400 printqueue
Is there a possibility to change things in a document when it is located in an as400 printqueue When possible how can i do this. and what kind of code is in the queue (ascii or ebcidic) can anyone help ?? Thank in advance a newbie Redrum Redrum wrote: > > Is there a possibility to change things in a document when it is > located in an as400 printqueue > When possible how can i do this. and what kind of code is in the queue > (ascii or ebcidic) > can anyone help ?? If you mean a spooled file there's no way to change it, unless copying the spooled file (with CPYSPLF or QSP* APIs) apply the desired changes and print back to a new spooled file. -- Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherA�ejoAlcoolInside Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers v�o � merda Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre Spammers loop schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker Copy to pf ,edit it ,Print it~ ...

HELP: accessing AS400 data in Oracle
I'm trying to access data from AS400 using gateway. e.g. SELECT * FROM LIB.FILE2@AS400 It works for some tables only. All tables are from the same library and have all privilages granted to Oracle. I just guess that it does not work for the tables that were added on the AS400 recently but I'm not sure. I've never used gateway before. The error I'm getting is the following: ORA-0942:tableor view does not exist ORA-02063:preceding line from AS400 Of course I checked AS400. The table exists. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Andrzej Urbanowicz <andrzeju@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1105023866.601325.23650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to access data from AS400 using gateway. > e.g. SELECT * FROM LIB.FILE2@AS400 > It works for some tables only. All tables are from the same library and > have all privilages granted to Oracle. I just guess that it does not > work for the tables that were added on the AS400 recently but I'm not > sure. I've never used gateway before. > > The error I'm getting is the following: > ORA-0942:tableor view does not exist > ORA-02063:preceding line from AS400 > > Of course I checked AS400. The table exists. > Any help is greatly appreciated. > Thanks > Andrzej Urbanowicz > Are the table names case sensitive ? Just an idea, I don't know AS400 ... Matthias Hoys wrote: > <andrzeju@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:110502...

DTS -- SQL Server Data to AS400
Hi, I'm trying to dug this issue since couple of days but couldn't find any solution. I have SQL server 2000 SP 3 and Host Integration Server 2000 SP 1 running. I'm able to download data from AS400/DB2(V5R2M0) into SQL server, using Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2 in DTS. But when I tried to upload the same table (downloaded from AS400 into Sql server) back to AS400, I got the following error. HResult of 0x8004206a(-2147213206) returned Unexpected error occurred. An error result was returned without error message. Anyone knows any thing about plese help me with this issue. I'll really appreciate it. Thanks in advance Noor ...

Data, data, data,
I have been tasked to dump around 400GB of data in physical files into a flat files and the transfer them from an iSeries 810 V5r3 to a windows server. I was going to CPYTOIMPF to a stram file and then copy over to the Windows server from the IFS. Anyone have a better idea or any suggestions? Thanks, Thad Rizzi Hi Thad If you have loads of free disk space on your 810 then your method is fine but if not you may consider Simply FTPing or iSeroes Access file transfering the files directly from the iSeries files to Windows Text file. You can get the either FTP or iSeries Access to carry out the EBCDIC to ASCII file translations on the fly. Here are my thoughts for and against Things in favour of Direct Transfer 1) You do not need and extra disk space on iSeries 2) Will take less time to transfer as this is a single pass process, with CPY command to IFS you still have to port the large text files to other Server 3) FTP does not handle Packed Numeric fields very well (iSeries Access does) 4) iSeries Access File Transfer will allow basic field formating and record selection to assist with Migration Things in favour of CPYTOIMF / CPYTOSMTF 1) If the iSeries Data is still being used this method allows for you to snapshot all the data at a know point and with all files in sync 2) This meathod make it simpler to copy the data out to tape for restore on a none iSeries platorm You could also consider an ODBC style link but this is generally better suited to more limited and co...

Does IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux?
Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which distribution is available? Al Al Bogner wrote: > Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which > distribution is available? The following shows the which models support Linux. http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/linux/pdfs/guide.pdf ...

AS400 and OLEDB
Dear all, I am writing a sub in Excel to pull data from a table in AS/400 using OLEDB. I am a AS/400 neophyte and not much more can be said of my ADO skills. With that out of the way, I am confident that the file in question contains data in every field (I have a file with 4 records just for test purposes.) Here is the very simple SQL statement I ran against this file: SELECT * FROM LWWDTA.JWMRESERVE The SQL command works and returns no errors. However, for 4 of the 9 total fields in the file, the recordset returns null, even though they are populated. I am at a loss for where to go/what to look for to solve this problem. Any ideas about what I am doing wrong? Note - I have used the "Transfer from AS/400" addin for Excel to pull data before, and I can account for every step in the UI except one. Before the "Finish" window in the wizard, I have to click Properties and put a check mark in "Convert CCSID 65535" and "Check for untranslatable fields" or I get nonsense in the very same fields that return null as outlined above. If this is the source of the problem, how to I tell my connection object/command object or whatever to do those two things? The entire code I'm working with is pasted in below. Basically one sub opens the connection and executes the SQL, the other sub is passed a recordset to copy manually to a range in Excel. Thanks, Johnny CODE BELOW: Sub foo2() Dim c As ADODB.Connection Dim r As ADODB.Recordset Di...

ODBC drivers for IBM AS400 on Mac OsX
Hello, I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. I cannot usa jdbc because the program that needs to access this AS400 is FileMaker Pro 8, and it handles only odbc connections. Thank you for your help and patience, -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | Sorry for the multiple posts, Guido > I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) > for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can > be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. > A quick google search didn't show much in the way of DB2 ODBC drivers for Mac, but there's an odbc-to-jdbc bridge product that may be helpful: http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Kaj Julius wrote: > http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ > (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Thank you Kaj, I will take a look. -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | ...

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

Web resources about - Archiving AS400 data - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Picture archiving and communication system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electronic images and reports are transmitted digitally via PACS; this eliminates the need to manually file, retrieve, or transport film jackets. ...

Facebook Introducing Archiving of Campaigns, Ad Sets, Ads Sept. 19?
Some Facebook page administrators are seeing alerts in Ads Manager informing them that they will be able to archive campaigns , ad sets and ads, ...

Archiving Early America on the App Store on iTunes
Get Archiving Early America on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

3.5" floppy-disk archiving machine, out of Lego Mindstorms - YouTube
This machine archives 3.5" floppy disks automatically. I built it using Lego Mindstorms, Android, Fedora, and Python. Watch. It strips a disk ...

Archiving website Storify to get Arabic translation thanks to Gulf volunteers
Device allows social media stories to be saved for posterity. DUBAI // A popular social-media archiving site will soon be available with an Arabic ...

In Search of the Long-Term Archiving Solution —Tape Delivers Significant TCO Advantage over Disk - ARN ...
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Facebook Introducing Archiving of Campaigns, Ad Sets, Ads Sept. 19?
Some Facebook page administrators are seeing alerts in Ads Manager informing them that they will be able to archive campaigns , ad sets and ads, ...

Mysms, Evernote Team Up on Text Message Archiving Service
... notebook that you can sync and access across multiple devices and platforms. “We were always looking to integrate with a partner for archiving ...

IRS contracted with email archiving company in 2005
... according to FedSpending.org , which lists the contract as being for "automatic data processing services." Sonasoft's motto is "email archiving ...

Glympse for Android update brings Evernote archiving
Glympse is an app that allows you to share your current location with others. The nice part of Glympse is how this is all handled on your terms. ...