AS400 Admin question

New to as400.  Can a text configuration file be copied from to another
file with something like  CPYF FROMFILE(probedir/probe.cfg)
TOFILE(otherprobedir/probe.cfg) CRTFILE(*YES) ?

Any help is appreciated.

--C--

On 10-Feb-2012 09:59 , Court Cannick wrote:
> New to as400. Can a text configuration file be copied from to
> another file with something like CPYF FROMFILE(probedir/probe.cfg)
> TOFILE(otherprobedir/probe.cfg) CRTFILE(*YES) ?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

   The CPYF CL command allows only reference to the /QSYS.LIB file
system, enabling access to both database *FILE and DDM device *FILE
objects [and their "member" objects to access and place data], but there
is only support for the "native" ten-byte object naming of the qualified
form [qualified with the slash] "LibrName"/"FileName" [or qualified
instead as "FileName"."LibrName" when using the s/38 10-byte object naming].

   There is a CPY CL command to copy /files/ [and their data] which
enables the IFS naming to name the source and target file, and thus
providing access to the other file systems.  Type CPY on a command line
and then press F1=Help to read of its support and restrictions, plus any
differences for any particular file system that will be referenced.

   FWiW the "alt." USENET group a.c.s.as400 is as good as bogus.  This
group c.s.i.a.misc, is the group with an official charter.  Another
community with NNTP support, is described at news.midrange.com

Regards, Chuck
0
crpence (662)

AS400 to AS400 connection

ibm as400 scsi drives in PC ? -newbie question-
i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400 server. i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w . they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive ( ie. formatting) are these compatable with regular PC scsi ? is it the drive microcode ? am i out of luck on these drives ? drive cage = type 6713 ibm FRU = 59H6611 drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date) The low leve format of the drives is different (520 vs. 512 for PCs as I recall) You should be able to find a utility to reformat them. HTH, Charles In article <3fr4h0hqcq8dpeibqkmac7cv9ilm85oupt@4ax.com>, reply@here.org says... > i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400 > server. > > i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a > generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w . > > they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive > ( ie. formatting) > > are these compatable with regular PC scsi ? > > is it the drive microcode ? > > am i out of luck on these drives ? > > drive cage = type 6713 > ibm FRU = 59H6611 > drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date) > thank you , i`ll look into that - drives seem to stop responding after adaptec bios format utility is attempted - led activity indicator goes off - no writing noise ibm/hitachi ...

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

IBM AS400

A Basic question on Connecting non-IBM FC Disk Subsystem to AS400
Hi, I'm exploring connecting a non-IBM AS400 disk subsystem to AS400, for example connecting an IBM FAStT Storage Subsystem to the AS400. Can this be done? If so what do I need to get this working? Is the config certified by IBM? Thank you. ...

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

AS400 FTP question
Hello, We have a simple lan with an AS400 and a few pcs. One dedicated pc has an internet connection and runs BOS Jadvantege (this software gives access to an AS400 signon screen from over the internet) With this configuration in mind, we need to provide an AS400 file to a remote location each night. They have an AS400 as well and want to use ftp to retrieve it. They say we can provide them a userid, password, and ip address to our AS400 to do this. Can someone elaborate on this approach so we can try it ourselves. We also wonder what security considerations must be taken into account on our side. Thanks, Suzi Basically you assign a public IP to your AS/400, make sure the default route is set to your Inet access and let them (and anybody) telnet/ftp into your AS/400 from the outside world. You weigh the security risks. You say "we need to provide an AS400 file to a remote location each night" Why do they, outside location, need a userid/password? You can initiate the ftp "put" from your side. Maybe have a common ftp storage place (ISP web space). You "put" it there, and they "get" from there. That way neither one of you, or at least you, expose your AS/400 to the Inet. You can even automate the ftp "put" process. or How bout you e-mail them the file. FTP to your PC them send it to them. Just my thoughts. I am sure there is a million and one ways of doing it. Good Luck Bill "Suzi Carr" <scarr401@yahoo....

From a AS400 with a CCSID to another AS400 with different CCSID
Hi all, I've the following issue: - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) to another AS400 with CCSID 37 I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in the special characters... So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... What do you suggest to do? Many thanks in advance. Fabrizio On 09-Jun-2011 05:47 , Fabrizio wrote: > > I've the following issue: > > - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) > to another AS400 with CCSID 37 > > I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, > but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in > the special characters... > > So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I > can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... > > What do you suggest to do? > The system CCSID QCCSID is effectively moot in that scenario as far as I can recall. What do matter are the CCSID of the job opening the file and then reading the data, and the CCSID of the columns of the file being opened. When the job is set to a proper CCSID, then whenever the data is also "tagged" properly with a CCSID [e.g. column of a table with a non-hex (non-65535) CCSID], the database will convert the dat...

AS400 Audit trail question.
Hello. Momentaly the auditing on AS400, has following settings: QAUDCTL *AUDLVL QAUDLVL *SECURITY Which works very fine. I wont to record also the signon-time AND singoff time, of all users. Its is possibel? I had look on the others values of QAUDLVL but i can't find the right one. v4r5 Thanks. Hi Silenius - On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 03:52:31 -0700 (PDT), Silenus paparias <olympiada1964@gmail.com> wrote: >QAUDCTL *AUDLVL >QAUDLVL *SECURITY > >Which works very fine. > >I wont to record also the signon-time AND singoff time, of all >users. > >Its is possibel? > >I had look on the others values of QAUDLVL but i can't find the right >one. > >v4r5 I don't know about through journaling, but the system logs a history record in QHST of when each job starts and ends. For interactive jobs that would be the sign-on and sign-off times. You can get this information with the DSPLOG command. I believe the message-ids are CPF1124 and CPF1164 but you should double-check that. I'm not where I can check them myself right now. -- Ken Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind. "Silenus paparias" <olympiada1964@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ebec8438-1303-4f31-bfa7-fa2746bd7870@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... | Hello. | | Momentaly the auditing on AS400, has following settings: | | QAUDCTL *AUDLVL | QAUDLVL *SECURITY | | Whi...

A basic question about AS400 using
Bonjour, (1) What is the link between AS400 and iSeries? Sorry, I didn't understand that on the IBM site. (2) A collegue told me that an AS400 was used by a customer for transmitting IP datagrams (coming from a LAN) on a X.25 dedicated line. I don't understand why an application server has been used for that translation. For me, IP and X.25 protocols are just level 1, 2, 3 services. Am I wrong? Can somebody give me a few words? Thanks, Angelot (1) iSeries is just a "rebranding" (ie renaming) of the AS400 under the larger eServer family of IBM servers. (2) It is doubtful the AS400 is being used just to "translate IP datagrams on an X.25 dedicated line". There must be some other application the AS400 is being used for. "Angelot" <NoSpam@NoSpam.fr> wrote in message news:c0tvrp$pto$1@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr... > Bonjour, > > (1) What is the link between AS400 and iSeries? Sorry, I didn't understand > that on the IBM site. > > > (2) A collegue told me that an AS400 was used by a customer for transmitting > IP datagrams (coming from a LAN) on a X.25 dedicated line. > I don't understand why an application server has been used for that > translation. For me, IP and X.25 protocols are just level 1, 2, 3 services. > Am I wrong? > > Can somebody give me a few words? > Thanks, > Angelot > > Thanks Jim for these remarks. Regards ...

question about printing reports from the as400
I am new to the AS400, always worked with Windows only. Here is the problem: We have some users that print a particular report from the 400. The printer they normally print this report to is shared off a Windows XP PC and has a client access session associated with it. THe printer is shared off of one of the user's PCs, she is runing Client Access Express The other two users have windows 98 PCs running client access 95. The report is supposed to print out in landscape mode. it is 142 characters long. My understanding is anything over 96 defaults to landscape? Anyways, just recently the report started printing in portrait and we cannot get it back to printing in landscape mode. I have deleted the printer session and set it back up, and have deleted the client access sessions on the PCs and set them back up but it still doesnt print landscape. Yet there are other reports they send to this printer that DO print landscape. Plus on another PC one of our programmers printed the report we are having this problem with to a networked copier and it DID print in landscape. I am guessing there is a setting somewhere we are not looking at, but dont really know. Any help would be appreciated. gary gary wrote: > I am new to the AS400, always worked with Windows only. > > Here is the problem: > > We have some users that print a particular report from the 400. > The printer they normally print this report to is shared off a Windows XP PC > and has ...

PowerPC extensions for IBM AS400

link table IBM AS400
Hi. Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. I dont't know the exact message). I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. Here an abstract txt BOLAZI;BOLCLI;BOLDBO;BOLNBO;BOLCAU;BOLNPR;BOLTRE;BOLMAT;BOLDES [........] [........] ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato 0;474;990204;354;10;1;1; 936;PC Intel Pentium II 400 Miditower 0;474;990204;354;10;4;1; 1890;CD-ROM drive 36X 0;474;990204;354;10;5;1; 1692;HD-SCSI 4.5 Gb IBM Ultrastar WIDE 7200 0;474;990204;354;10;6;1; 1497;HD-SCSI 9.1 Gb IBM DDRS-39130 UWIDE [........] Thanks in advance M. "Mire" <mary@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buo9eo$k39dq$1@ID-57790.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hi. > Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. > My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). > > The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. > I dont't know the exact message). > I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. > > If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. > &...

IBM AS400 certfication test papers
Aprax Consulting believes in developing professionals who believe in themselves and are equipped with the latest state of the art in their respective fields, professionals who are confident and can compete in the challenging world. The endeavor is to inculcate a desire for continuous improvement, a sense of healthy competition, and sensitivity towards ethical and moral values. Aprax consulting offers all types of certification test papers, dumps with 100% assurance of passing. 100% Money refunded if failed (except courier charges). All IBM certification including Mainframe certification, AS400 certification test papers available. IBM MAINFRAME DB2 certification IBM AS/400 RPGILE certification Contact: Aprax Consulting Ph(M): +91-9873500678 URL: www.apraxindia.com Email: hr@apraxindia.com Your 1st sentence is grammatically incorrect and doesn't make any sense. One question: Isn't your moral values endeavor compromised by selling dumps? ...

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

ODBC drivers for IBM AS400 on Mac OsX
Hello, I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. I cannot usa jdbc because the program that needs to access this AS400 is FileMaker Pro 8, and it handles only odbc connections. Thank you for your help and patience, -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | Sorry for the multiple posts, Guido > I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) > for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can > be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. > A quick google search didn't show much in the way of DB2 ODBC drivers for Mac, but there's an odbc-to-jdbc bridge product that may be helpful: http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Kaj Julius wrote: > http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ > (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Thank you Kaj, I will take a look. -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | ...

AS400 Newbie with a C question re IFS
Hello All, I have a file that I can see exists in the IFS using OpsNave. It appears to be in /Root/JDEB7333/jde_489065.log. I need to open this file with a C program to read it's contents. If I call: FILE* f = fopen("/Root/JDEB7333/jde_489065.log", "r") it fails with this error: Error 3014 opening JDE log file: The object name specified is not correct. I figured the 'Root' part was an invention of OpsNav so recoded my program to open "JDEB7333/jde_489065.log" but got exactly the same result. "JohnO" <john@nospam.com> wrote in message news:RJWJd.12027$mo2.927952@news.xtra.co.nz... > Hello All, > > I have a file that I can see exists in the IFS using OpsNave. It appears to > be in > /Root/JDEB7333/jde_489065.log. > > I need to open this file with a C program to read it's contents. If I call: > FILE* f = fopen("/Root/JDEB7333/jde_489065.log", "r") > > it fails with this error: > Error 3014 opening JDE log file: The object name specified is not correct. > > I figured the 'Root' part was an invention of OpsNav so recoded my program > to open "JDEB7333/jde_489065.log" but got exactly the same result. So my question is: am I correctly specifying the pathname, or is there something else wrong? Newbie alert - I'm from a Unix background so the IFS and OS400 file systems in general while looking similar to Unix, are new to me. TIA, J...

Does IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux?
Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which distribution is available? Al Al Bogner wrote: > Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which > distribution is available? The following shows the which models support Linux. http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/linux/pdfs/guide.pdf ...

Oracle question from a Sys. admin, re: Solaris performance
Hi all, Let me preface this by stating that I am not a DBA, so please take what I say with that in mind. I support several Sun systems running various versions of Oracle; 8, and varients of 9. We are in the process of getting them all to 9.2 but there are still some hangers-on at 8. I have been interested in learning as much as I can about Oracle as it may help in supporting the hardware and OS. I have been scouring the net for information about performance and found asktom.oracle.com ...I found an article that jumped out at me, about running 4 instances of Oracle on a system and getting poor performance. This interested me because we have upwards of *50* instances on a single machine with more on the way. Thats not a typo, 50 as in fifty. The article I looked at basically said that supporting 4 instances would be a "nightmare" because you never know which instance is taking resources. I have a couple questions about this: - is this true? Is there really know way to determine which instance is using, say 99% CPU? - are we insane for having this many instances on a system? I think its the result of sale and marketing gone wild... TIA, Comments embedded On 3 Mar 2005 12:55:11 -0800, tonij67@hotmail.com wrote: >Hi all, > > >Let me preface this by stating that I am not a DBA, so please take what >I say with that in mind. > >I support several Sun systems running various versions of Oracle; 8, >and varients of 9. We are in the...

Qshell and AS400 system/BRMS messages and logs questions?
I was wondering if there was any way to use QSHELL and easily read the AS400 system and BRMS logs? Basically curious if this is possible so I can monitor the logs uing Tail -f path/filename in realtime. I haven't a clue about the filenameing or directory structure of the AS400 but really need to see all the system messages as they happen. Thanks kenshyn.hymura@gmail.com wrote: > I was wondering if there was any way to use QSHELL and easily read the > AS400 system and BRMS logs? Basically curious if this is possible so I > can monitor the logs uing Tail -f path/filename in realtime. > > I haven't a clue about the filenameing or directory structure of the > AS400 but really need to see all the system messages as they happen. > > Thanks Getting closer I think maybe using a command similar to Set the job environment to log messages to the a file in the IFS. mydirectory must exist in the IFS. ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QIBM_QSH_CMD_OUTPUT)VALUE('FILE=/mydirectory/QSHELL_output') LEVEL(*JOB) Played around with (system "DSPMSG qsysofr") which displays those messages to the screen in qshell now need to find if I can find the BRMS log/messages that displays commands in the message log. kenshyn.hymura@gmail.com wrote: > kenshyn.hymura@gmail.com wrote: > > I was wondering if there was any way to use QSHELL and easily read the > > AS400 system and BRMS logs? Basically curious if this is possible so I > > can monitor ...

Microsoft uses IBM AS400's for development.
Not well known but Microsoft uses IBM AS400 machines with the Windows server card option to develop programs. This option is really a PC on a card but offers significant advantages over a stand alone pc in that it can support virtual sessions of Windows each of which can be rebooted as required without bringing down the other seesions or worse the rest of the machine. Microsoft is a huge IBM AS400 customer. Most people assume developers are using PC's sitting next to their work space. Fadl Ullah Jonnalagadda wrote: > Not well known but Microsoft uses IBM AS400 machines with the Windows > server card option to develop programs. This option is really a PC on > a card but offers significant advantages over a stand alone pc in that > it can support virtual sessions of Windows each of which can be > rebooted as required without bringing down the other seesions or worse > the rest of the machine. Microsoft is a huge IBM AS400 customer. Most > people assume developers are using PC's sitting next to their work > space. MS developers are using Win 2k3 and Win 2k8 servers as development machines too and not PC(s), with VMware. Fadl Ullah Jonnalagadda wrote: Plonk "Fadl Ullah Jonnalagadda" <fadlullah.jonnalagadda@gmail.com> wrote in message news:60deb8d3-5599-48d8-8667-6734e37a756b@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com... > Not well known but Microsoft uses IBM AS400 machines with the Windows > server card option to develop programs. ...

Creating CSV files for input to Excel. Not strictly an AS400 question.
Hi all I am creating a physical file and then downloading it as a csv for input to excel. It works perfectly but I would like to be able to make the headings bold and centre some of the fields. Currently I create the physical file with: - Column 1 1. Product 2. Code 3. 12345678 Column 2 1. Cost 2. Value 3. =124.21 Column 3 1. 2. Quantity 3. =41 Column 4 1. Total 2. Value 3. =B3*C3 4. =B4*C4 5. =B5*C5 etc. My data appears quite happily in Excel but I would like to be able to centre/center Product/Code and Cost/Value etc. I would also like to know how to make these fields bold. Are there any control characters that I can write into my file to achieve this? Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance Neil "Newbie_Neil" <neil@village-street.co.uk> wrote in message news:c8951894.0406122235.421cc2a3@posting.google.com... > Hi all > > I am creating a physical file and then downloading it as a csv for > input to excel. It works perfectly but I would like to be able to make > the headings bold and centre some of the fields. > > Currently I create the physical file with: - > > Column 1 > 1. Product > 2. Code > 3. 12345678 > > Column 2 > 1. Cost > 2. Value > 3. =124.21 > > Column 3 > 1. > 2. Quantity > 3. =41 > > Column 4 > 1. Total > 2. Value > 3. =B3*C3 > 4. =B4*C4 > 5. =B5*C5 etc. > > My data appears quite happily in Excel but I would like to be able to...

Web resources about - AS400 Admin question - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

ATO's private company list kicks up more questions about artistry of tax arrangements
Just $2 billion net tax on total income of $145 billion. What a time to be alive.

ATO's private company list kicks up more questions about artistry of tax arrangements
Just $2 billion net tax on total income of $145 billion. What a time to be alive.

Question: Your feelings on the 1959-vs-'09 Chevy crash test?
Filed under: Government/Legal , Chevrolet , Safety , Classics In 2009, the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety smashed a 1959 Bel Air into ...

With Wii U’s fate in question, Nintendo’s NX might be its last chance
After spending three-and-a-half years languishing at the bottom of the market, the Wii U is finally being put to rest. That's according to a ...

Funding Circle's CEO addressed 'the most pertinent question anyone can ask about our industry'
Lord Adair Turner looms large over the peer-to-peer lending industry. The former banking regulator, who led the Financial Services Authority ...

BuzzFeed: ‘Questions Hang Over FBI After Apple Showdown Fizzles’
Hamza Shaban, summarizing the state of the Apple-FBI fight for BuzzFeed: In an editorial Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal described the government’s ...

12 questions project managers should be prepared for in a job interview
Project management job interviews can be more stressful than the new job itself. Most candidates expect to talk about their strengths, weaknesses, ...

How to Ask Better Questions
“Literature is the question minus the answer.” [Roland Barthes] Our questions reveal our real intent more than we suspect. There is such a thing ...

Question of the Day: Which Android Phone Would You Like to See Remade, iPhone SE Style?
No matter how much we love a particular phone, at some point, it’s going to get old and not function as well as the newer phones. This is why ...