AS400 Data Access from a Windows 2K web server

I need to create an order inquiry application that will run on our
website.  The application will need to join information from our AS400
with data from the SQL Server 2000 database we use for most of our web
applications.  This is our first application that will be accessing
the AS400 to retrieve information, and the method used will be the
basis for all future applications of this type.  So, it is important
that we use the best option available.

Our website is hosted on Windows 2000 Servers using ASP pages written
with VBScript and served using IIS.  The only database we currently
use on the website is a SQL Server 2000 database.  We use COM+ objects
written in VB to perform most database access although we do use ADODB
connections directly in the ASP pages at times.

From the research I have done so far, it appears the best method is to
create stored procedures on the AS400 that will be used via an ADODB
connection from the web pages or COM+ objects.  I would appreciate any
advice you may have.
0
ebinri (2)

Hi Evan,

You don't need stored procedures. You can run SQL against an AS/400 database
almost the same as against an SQL Server 2000 database. The only restriction
is that you have to install Client Access on the server. You even can run
AS/400 commands if you like. If you need some samples let me know.

Regards,
Jan

"Evan" <ebinri@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> I need to create an order inquiry application that will run on our
> website.  The application will need to join information from our AS400
> with data from the SQL Server 2000 database we use for most of our web
> applications.  This is our first application that will be accessing
> the AS400 to retrieve information, and the method used will be the
> basis for all future applications of this type.  So, it is important
> that we use the best option available.
>
> Our website is hosted on Windows 2000 Servers using ASP pages written
> with VBScript and served using IIS.  The only database we currently
> use on the website is a SQL Server 2000 database.  We use COM+ objects
> written in VB to perform most database access although we do use ADODB
> connections directly in the ASP pages at times.
>
> From the research I have done so far, it appears the best method is to
> create stored procedures on the AS400 that will be used via an ADODB
> connection from the web pages or COM+ objects.  I would appreciate any
> advice you may have.

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

Web Servers and AS400
Just curious of the groups current thinking regarding running the Web Server layer (WebSphere, Apache,Tomcat, etc??) on the AS/400 versus a separate box. I am really looking at 2 boxes (possibly firewalled apart) here not an embedded Linux on 400 solution which I would still consider to be a single box solution. As an extension, I am also keen to see, in the 2 box scenario, how many people call Java service/apps on the AS/400 or host the Java layer on the second box and call the AS/400 solely for it's database storage. Of course, anyone running a separate IIS server (or other??) could respond to this second option as well as it really is a similar architectual configuration (i.e. utilising the AS/400 for database activities only). RJ. I've had no problem running it on the same box as other apps. The only time I see it pays to split it up is if you need the resousrces for web apps vs. other apps. Then data replication/access becomes the problem. DBDriver wrote: > Just curious of the groups current thinking regarding running the Web Server > layer (WebSphere, Apache,Tomcat, etc??) on the AS/400 versus a separate box. > > I am really looking at 2 boxes (possibly firewalled apart) here not an > embedded Linux on 400 solution which I would still consider to be a single > box solution. > > As an extension, I am also keen to see, in the 2 box scenario, how many > people call Java service/apps on the AS/400 or host the Java layer on ...

Web data to AS400
Yes I still call it an AS400. I have someone who as home grown software and a website hosted by someone else. He wants to be able to get the web orders into the system automatically and asked me how to do it. I know there are probably 6 ways to Sunday to get this done, but I am exploring all options. They have a website programmer, but no AS400 programmer. The website guy said he knows PHP pretty well and they are on V5R1. I am fairly good as RPG, RPGLE, CLP programming and then some. What would be an easy way to get this information to the system? Thanking any suggestions, I do thank all the pros for taking time to post to this group. "Chad White" <chadwhite12@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3a886508-1295-4ca1-bffb-b62576d2f863@a21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Yes I still call it an AS400. I have someone who as home grown > software and a website hosted by someone else. He wants to be able to > get the web orders into the system automatically and asked me how to > do it. I know there are probably 6 ways to Sunday to get this done, > but I am exploring all options. They have a website programmer, but > no AS400 programmer. The website guy said he knows PHP pretty well > and they are on V5R1. I am fairly good as RPG, RPGLE, CLP programming > and then some. > > What would be an easy way to get this information to the system? > > Thanking any suggestions, > > I do thank all the pros for taking time to ...

AS400 to AS400 connection

browser access to as400 data
how do I secure browser access to as400 data? Should the user be logging onto the website which provides access to data on the as400? No doubt, but what should the user name and password be? If the user logs on with an as400 user name and password, how do you prevent the password from being transmitted thru the web, from the browser to the web server? The web server in this case is a windows xp PC with IIS installed. The usage has, to date, been limited to users behind the firewall. Now there is a need for users in another location to access this internal web server. thanks, If you use an HTTPS connection (instead of plain HTTP), there should be no issues with visible passwords. Whether the user authenticates as a Windows user to the webserver, or as an AS/400 user to the underlying database, or whether Single-Sign- On should be used (authenticating to Windows and AS/400 with the same credentials) is difficult to say without more information about your situation. On Sep 22, 11:28=A0am, "walker.l2" <walker...@ukonline.co.uk> wrote: > If you use an HTTPS connection (instead of plain HTTP), there should > be no issues with visible passwords. > > Whether the user authenticates as a Windows user to the webserver, or > as an AS/400 user to the underlying database, or whether Single-Sign- > On should be used (authenticating to Windows and AS/400 with the same > credentials) is difficult to say without more information about your > situa...

FTP between AS400 and windows server
Hello, I'd like to execute a bat file which is on my windows server from my AS400 with an ftp command. Is it possible and if yes which command should I enter on my AS400. Best regards, If you have CA/400 loaded on the server I think you can use RUNRMTCMD to run a job on the Windows server. If you're open to a commercial solution, take a look at our iSeries Office Integrator software. You can run PC jobs, execute MS Word mail merges, launch web sites and more. Regards, Richard Schoen RJS Software Systems Inc. "The AS/400 and iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts" Email: richard@rjssoftware.com Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com "zebute" <esaulodes@m6net.fr> wrote in message news:ba6d8cb9.0401210205.3b570995@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I'd like to execute a bat file which is on my windows server from my > AS400 with an ftp command. > Is it possible and if yes which command should I enter on my AS400. > > Best regards, Hllo ! DO "toto.txt" with open namesys or ip adress user xxxx >>> syntax of user and pass no sure see ftp documentation pass xxxx .......put ...get.... After you call in dos command : FTP toto.txt Tomorrow i send one exemple "zebute" <esaulodes@m6net.fr> a �crit dans le message de news:ba6d8cb9.0401210205.3b570995@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I'd like to execute a bat file which is on my windows server from my > AS400 wi...

DTS -- SQL Server Data to AS400
Hi, I'm trying to dug this issue since couple of days but couldn't find any solution. I have SQL server 2000 SP 3 and Host Integration Server 2000 SP 1 running. I'm able to download data from AS400/DB2(V5R2M0) into SQL server, using Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2 in DTS. But when I tried to upload the same table (downloaded from AS400 into Sql server) back to AS400, I got the following error. HResult of 0x8004206a(-2147213206) returned Unexpected error occurred. An error result was returned without error message. Anyone knows any thing about plese help me with this issue. I'll really appreciate it. Thanks in advance Noor ...

HELP: accessing AS400 data in Oracle
I'm trying to access data from AS400 using gateway. e.g. SELECT * FROM LIB.FILE2@AS400 It works for some tables only. All tables are from the same library and have all privilages granted to Oracle. I just guess that it does not work for the tables that were added on the AS400 recently but I'm not sure. I've never used gateway before. The error I'm getting is the following: ORA-0942:tableor view does not exist ORA-02063:preceding line from AS400 Of course I checked AS400. The table exists. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Andrzej Urbanowicz <andrzeju@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1105023866.601325.23650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to access data from AS400 using gateway. > e.g. SELECT * FROM LIB.FILE2@AS400 > It works for some tables only. All tables are from the same library and > have all privilages granted to Oracle. I just guess that it does not > work for the tables that were added on the AS400 recently but I'm not > sure. I've never used gateway before. > > The error I'm getting is the following: > ORA-0942:tableor view does not exist > ORA-02063:preceding line from AS400 > > Of course I checked AS400. The table exists. > Any help is greatly appreciated. > Thanks > Andrzej Urbanowicz > Are the table names case sensitive ? Just an idea, I don't know AS400 ... Matthias Hoys wrote: > <andrzeju@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:110502...

Printing AS400 to Windows Server 2003
I have presently a number of printers on my AS400 printing to shared printers on a Windows 2000 Server. This setup has been working fine for many years. I am installing a new print server and using Server 2003 on the new server. I cannot successfully get the files to spool form the 400 to Server 2003. I have the same shared names on my 2000 server as my 2003 server (all simple short names, no weird characters) and if I simply change the IP address back to the 2000 server, they print fine. The setup of the printers on the two servers is identical. The windows firewall is disabled so that is not an issue. TCP and the Print Spooler service are on the 2003 server and running/ configured. I am getting no errors on either the AS400 logs or the Windows Server logs. I contacted IBM and they confirmed that the AS400 setup was correct and they did a trace from the AS400 and they said the request to print is being rejected by the Windows Server and offered no help beyond that. Has anyone had any similar problems with 2003 server? If so, how did you solve? Thanks in advance for you help. il 05/10/2007 18.15, Scrive BobLindemannInCa@gmail.com 40391552: > I have presently a number of printers on my AS400 printing to shared > printers on a Windows 2000 Server. This setup has been working fine > for many years. I am installing a new print server and using Server > 2003 on the new server. I cannot successfully get the files to spool > form the 400 to Server 2003. ...

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

Securely Connect AS400 to Unix Web Server
Good morning, We are building a new website and need to securely send/receive data to/from Unix web server. I do not know anything about Unix/Linix boxes and the guy whom I am working with does not know anything about AS400/iSeries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are running on: 9406-820 V5R2 Thank you in advance. Gary Hi Gary, A bit more detail might be required here, but really you've got loads of options. If you need to access the database on the AS/400 from UNIX, I'd say JDBC or something similar for your language of choice on UNIX would be fine, would need no extra software on the AS/400. If you need to access actual files on the AS/400, then automating FTP could be a decent idea, again, would not require any software on the AS/400. If you need to run any programs on the AS/400, to generate data before sending it over to the UNIX box, then I think maybe a REST service, or RPC call might be nice, this would require some work on the AS/400 though. Without knowing exactly what you need though, it's difficult to suggest a great solution. Cheers Garry On Aug 25, 1:33=A0pm, SegalRea...@gmail.com wrote: > Good morning, > > We are building a new website and need to securely send/receive data > to/from Unix web server. =A0I do not know anything about Unix/Linix > boxes and the guy whom I am working with does not know anything about > AS400/iSeries. > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > > We are runn...

Could anybody point me to comparison of Windows 2K Pro, 2K Server 2003 Server, XP Pro??
Hi, I am searching for a matrix with comparison of different windows operating systems like Win 2k Professional , W 2k Server, Win 2003 Server, XP Pro. Microsoft web site has one such thing but it compares Win 2003 server editions. I would be more interested in core changes between above OSes. Thanks in Advance, Arun. ...

Synchronise data from Local FileMaker with Access on web server
Does anyone know how to get FileMaker to synchronise data with an Access database file on a web server? I am running FileMaker locally and want to download information from my web site which uses ASP to write information to an Access database. I also want to be able to update the information in the Access database file with new data from my Local FileMaker. If any one has done this already or has got any ideas how it can be done I would be extremely grateful. Many thanks, C. Harford. ...

Data Replication between AS400 v5.3 and SQL server 2005
Hi All, We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using AS400 v5.3 in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/ update to SQL server is synchronized back to AS400 . So we need a bi- directional solution, in which changes from both sides are synchronized based on event detection. Now our client has mentioned that, due to the company policy, we might not be authorized to access the AS400 database directly, i.e. they don't want any third party application to query the AS400 database directly. Which technique best suit here. Is Data Mirror the right choice in this scenario, or is there any more better way to achieve this. Thanks in advance, Haroon hkhokhar wrote: > Hi All, > > We need to provide a solution to our client who is currently using > AS400 v5.3 in which real time stock/inventory details from AS400 are > replicated into another external database (SQL Server) and any change/ > update to SQL server is synchronized back to AS400 . So we need a bi- > directional solution, in which changes from both sides are > synchronized based on event detection. > > Now our client has mentioned that, due to the company policy, we might > not be authorized to access the AS400 database directly, i.e. they > don't want any third party application to query the AS400 database > directly. > Which technique best suit here. Is Data Mirr...

Integration of AS400 Client Access Emulation into Frame of Web Page
Hi, Is it possible to integrate AS400 client access emulation into one frame of web page? I know it is possible to show the content of the emulation on a web page but that has been converted into a HTML format (I supposed). What I want is that the original screen is to appear within one of the frame of the page so that all the existing keying function on the emulation still remains. Please advise. Thanks & regards. ...

AS400 as SQL Server Linked server
Hi, I'm trying to set up DB2 on AS400 as a linked server on SQL Server. Everything works ok, but, when I try to run an UPDATE, it gives me an error (OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IRowsetChange::SetData returned 0x80004005). I've searched a lot on the internet, I've tried some solutions but without success. I'm using SQLServer 2000 and Client Access 5 release 1. Is there any solution or workaround ? Thanks in advance Massimo ...

IBM AS400

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

Data Access pages with RDS/useremoteprovider so DB is on web server
Anyone able to do this with Access created Data Access Pages, using UseRemoteProvider parm on DAP and getting RDS configured properly on the server so the DAP's activeX can access the database on the server? If so any advise, good references, etc.??? I get the UseRemoteProvider to True I set the name of the database to \\myservername\dbdirectory\dbname.mdb and make sure that dbdirectory is a share name on the server with web access specified. Tried getting RDS set on my WinXPPro with IIS but don't think it ever got setup correctly. Heard about issues with properly configuring mdfsmap.ini on the server. Would appreciate any help. Bob Bob Alston wrote: > Anyone able to do this with Access created Data Access Pages, using > UseRemoteProvider parm on DAP and getting RDS configured properly on the > server so the DAP's activeX can access the database on the server? > > If so any advise, good references, etc.??? > > I get the UseRemoteProvider to True > I set the name of the database to \\myservername\dbdirectory\dbname.mdb > and make sure that dbdirectory is a share name on the server > with web access specified. > Tried getting RDS set on my WinXPPro with IIS but don't think it ever > got setup correctly. > Heard about issues with properly configuring mdfsmap.ini on the server. > > Would appreciate any help. > > Bob Found my own answer. Microsoft no longer recommends using RDS - due t...

com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionHandle.getMetaData(AS400JDBCConnectionHandle.java:330)
Hi, I am running a web app on WAS 5.0 on Linux connecting to iSeries V5R2 for DB2 access using the tool box driver. Most of the time this works fine but occasionally I get the stuff listed below. When this happens the app just crashes out. Its weird because this happens on pages that where running fine 5 minutes ago. It appears like my connections are going stale but my app thinks they are fine. There is no firewall between the two boxes so I cant blame it on the firewall killing the connection. Has anyone seen this before or am I totally off on the wrong track. Any help would be most appreciated. BTW It does not seem to happen when running on WAS 5.0 on the iseries but then its on the same machine and the drivers local. Mutley. [03.08.21 14:14:10:162 BST] 6bcc1e57 WebGroup X Servlet Error: : java.lang.NullPointerException at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionHandle.getMetaData(AS400JDBCConnecti onHandle.java:330) at com.ibm.ejs.cm.pool.ConnectO.getMetaData(ConnectO.java:2121) at com.ibm.ejs.cm.proxy.ConnectionProxy.getMetaData(ConnectionProxy.java:572) at com.ibm.db.db.base.DatabaseConnection.getConnectionMetaData(DatabaseConnecti on.java(Compiled Code)) at com.ibm.db.db.base.DatabaseConnection.disconnect(DatabaseConnection.java) at com.ibm.db.db.DatabaseConnection.disconnect(DatabaseConnection.java) at com.ibm.db.beans.DBSelect.close(DBSelect.java) at com.ibm.db.beans.DBSelect.close(DBSelect.java) at com.kdpsoftware.landmark.LogIn.LogInQuery.close(LogInQ...

Constant com.ibm.as400.access.jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_JOB_QUEUE
I am using the following code to try and return a list of jobs that sre running in QBATCH5 --- QSYSObjectPathName path = new QSYSObjectPathName("QGPL","QBATCH1","JOBQ"); jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_PRIMARY_JOB_STATUS_ACTIVE, Boolean.TRUE); jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_PRIMARY_JOB_STATUS_OUTQ , Boolean.FALSE); jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_JOB_QUEUE, path.getPath()); For some reason it brings back a list of my Active jobs that show up in WRKACTJOB... Shouldn't jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(Jo...

FTP Problem from AS400 to Windows server 2003 IIS 6.0
Hello, we use to transfert files from AS400 to Windows server 2003 and it works fine with files size <= 1 meg. But sometimes we have to transfert files size between 10 to 20 megs. It works very well, it means it transfered the data but we never receive the confirmation from the remote host ( server window 2003 )here is the log : "Enter an FTP subcommand. put mebug mebugp (file size 1 meg) 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,129,113,249,19,142). 125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting. 226 Transfer complete. 920808 bytes transferred in 4.904 seconds. Transfer rate 187.755 KB Enter an FTP subcommand. put mesoup mesoup(file size is 16meg) 227 Entering Passive Mode (10,129,113,249,19,143). 125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting. No response from remote host; all connections closed." What we must do!!!! please Look at your CHGFTPA settings. Also, are these bat files your running or some kind of script, does it have delays in it maybe. ...

Web resources about - AS400 Data Access from a Windows 2K web server - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

The Windows Blog

Man leans out window and pulls teen off moped in Halls Head road rage incident
... on a moped were lucky to escape being killed in a road rage incident in Halls Head when one was grabbed by a person leaning out a car window. ...

Google kills Chrome app launcher for Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, and Linux
During the Windows 8 era, I was very worried about that operating system the UI and design choices were troubling. Luckily, as a longtime Linux ...

Prepare to patch a critical flaw in Windows and Samba file sharing
Systems administrators should get ready to fix a critical vulnerability on April 12 that affects the Windows and Samba implementations of the ...

Android N has a “Freeform” Desktop-Style Floating App Window Mode
As it turns out, Google’s Multi-Window in Android N isn’t the only new multi-tasking functionality the Android team has added. If you read closely ...

Microsoft Monday: Xbox One Price Drop, Windows 10 Upgrade Problems, Apology For Afterparty Dancers
... details about HERE Maps being discontinued, a Reddit thread going viral about the problems associated with the automatic upgrade of Windows ...

Apple execs poke fun at Windows and Android in rollout of new iPhone and iPad Pro
Apple’s Phil Schiller introduced the new iPad Pro today, but also dissed Windows users. Apple unveiled some small updates to the iPhone and ...

Google's Scrapping Chrome's App Launcher on Windows, Mac and Linux
Like opening Chrome apps using Google’s dedicated launcher? Tough: As of July, it will be entirely scrapped on Windows, Mac and Linux. Read ...