AS400 disk controller in a PC...

Yes you read that right, has anyone tried this before?  I have a 2741
disk controller that I've put in a Win98 PC.  The system sees it as a
SCSI Bus Controller (which it is) but can't find drivers for it.  Has
anyone tried this before and have see it working?  Just being curious.
 I haven't tried this in a newer OS like XP yet.  It may work fine
there.

BTW, I also have a 2838 network card in a PC and it works find.
Windows found it as an AMD 10/100 card.  I guess PCI is PCI weather
it's PC or AS400.  Probably doesn't work the opposite way though, I
would imagine OS400 requires a particular chip set or something that
prevents us from adding a $40 network card to an AS400.

Thoughts...comments...

Shane
0
swpenney (8)
10/17/2004 2:17:46 AM
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

I think I see your problem:  2741 is a "golfball" printer terminal.
  You probably need to look for a printer driver. ;)

--
Dan Hicks
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired

0
danhicks (177)
10/17/2004 1:29:20 PM
PCI is PCI, that's why it's a standard.

I doubt the AS/400 has any special hardware that specifically stops
regular PCI cards working.  Rather, SLIC/MI/OS400 will not have a
driver for it and won't have a clue what it is.  Think about a PCI vga
video card!

The thing I'd like to do is load AIX up one of the new AS.400 boxes
and see what it makes of it all :-)  My guess is it would probably
run.

swpenney@hotmail.com (Shane Penney) wrote in message news:<5f9fe9a4.0410161817.f106581@posting.google.com>...

> BTW, I also have a 2838 network card in a PC and it works find.
> Windows found it as an AMD 10/100 card.  I guess PCI is PCI weather
> it's PC or AS400.  Probably doesn't work the opposite way though, I
> would imagine OS400 requires a particular chip set or something that
> prevents us from adding a $40 network card to an AS400.
I dont' guess you have kept up with the announcements, Alistair -
The new i5 can run Aix, Linux, or i5/OS (formerly known as OS/400)

Steve

"Alistair Moir" <> wrote in message
> PCI is PCI, that's why it's a standard.
>
> I doubt the AS/400 has any special hardware that specifically stops
> regular PCI cards working.  Rather, SLIC/MI/OS400 will not have a
> driver for it and won't have a clue what it is.  Think about a PCI vga
> video card!
>
> The thing I'd like to do is load AIX up one of the new AS.400 boxes
> and see what it makes of it all :-)  My guess is it would probably
> run.
>

> swpenney@hotmail.com (Shane Penney) wrote in message
>
> > BTW, I also have a 2838 network card in a PC and it works find.
> > Windows found it as an AMD 10/100 card.  I guess PCI is PCI weather
> > it's PC or AS400.  Probably doesn't work the opposite way though, I
> > would imagine OS400 requires a particular chip set or something that
> > prevents us from adding a $40 network card to an AS400.

I was thinking of running AIX on the bare metal.  My understanding is
that the new lpar uses some sort of hpervisor.  Even OS/400 runs under
this hypervisor.

"Steve Landess" <Steve_landess@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YBEcd.12653$rY1.3716@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> I dont' guess you have kept up with the announcements, Alistair -
> The new i5 can run Aix, Linux, or i5/OS (formerly known as OS/400)
>
> Steve
>
> "Alistair Moir" <> wrote in message
> > PCI is PCI, that's why it's a standard.
> >
> > I doubt the AS/400 has any special hardware that specifically stops
> > regular PCI cards working.  Rather, SLIC/MI/OS400 will not have a
> > driver for it and won't have a clue what it is.  Think about a PCI vga
> > video card!
> >
> > The thing I'd like to do is load AIX up one of the new AS.400 boxes
> > and see what it makes of it all :-)  My guess is it would probably
> > run.
> >

> > swpenney@hotmail.com (Shane Penney) wrote in message
> >
> > > BTW, I also have a 2838 network card in a PC and it works find.
> > > Windows found it as an AMD 10/100 card.  I guess PCI is PCI weather
> > > it's PC or AS400.  Probably doesn't work the opposite way though, I
> > > would imagine OS400 requires a particular chip set or something that
> > > prevents us from adding a $40 network card to an AS400.

AS400 to AS400 connection

Defining a shared virtual disk between AS400 and a pc
Hello everybody, In the factory I'm working for, there are both an AS400 computer and PC's, that "are talking to each other" in the usual way =96 IP connection. My question is if there is a possibility to define a shared virtual disk to both of them? I assume that the common physical disk area has to be located in the AS400 The answer to this question is very important to the project plan. I'll be very grateful to get an answer as soon as possible. A link to an appropriate site will be sufficient too. Thank you in advance, Amos AMOS wrote: > Hello everybody, > > In the factory I'm working for, there are both an AS400 computer and > PC's, > that "are talking to each other" in the usual way � IP connection. > My question is if there is a possibility to define a shared virtual > disk to > both of them? > > I assume that the common physical disk area has to be located > in the AS400 > > The answer to this question is very important to the project plan. > I'll be very grateful to get an answer as soon as possible. > > A link to an appropriate site will be sufficient too. > Perhaps the IFS with NetServer and mapped drives would be useful? : http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg111506-story03.html http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/178.html http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/ifs/rzaaxoverview.htm -- Karl Hanson Karl Hanson wrote: > AMOS ...

ibm as400 scsi drives in PC ? -newbie question-
i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400 server. i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w . they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive ( ie. formatting) are these compatable with regular PC scsi ? is it the drive microcode ? am i out of luck on these drives ? drive cage = type 6713 ibm FRU = 59H6611 drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date) The low leve format of the drives is different (520 vs. 512 for PCs as I recall) You should be able to find a utility to reformat them. HTH, Charles In article <3fr4h0hqcq8dpeibqkmac7cv9ilm85oupt@4ax.com>, reply@here.org says... > i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400 > server. > > i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a > generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w . > > they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive > ( ie. formatting) > > are these compatable with regular PC scsi ? > > is it the drive microcode ? > > am i out of luck on these drives ? > > drive cage = type 6713 > ibm FRU = 59H6611 > drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date) > thank you , i`ll look into that - drives seem to stop responding after adaptec bios format utility is attempted - led activity indicator goes off - no writing noise ibm/hitachi ...

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

IBM AS400

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

A Basic question on Connecting non-IBM FC Disk Subsystem to AS400
Hi, I'm exploring connecting a non-IBM AS400 disk subsystem to AS400, for example connecting an IBM FAStT Storage Subsystem to the AS400. Can this be done? If so what do I need to get this working? Is the config certified by IBM? Thank you. ...

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

PC FTP to AS400
My VB .net application used to work now it doesn't, nothing has changed with the application. I FTP long file names (or used to) to our AS400 but since last Wednesday I get this "Specified object name too long, limit is 10 characters: LINE20050219." message. The filename I was sending was LINE20050219_000000.txt so I'm not sure why LINE20050219. is in the error message. The commands being executed are as follows: open xx.xx.x.xxx userid pswd cd /home/celeb STOR line20050219_000000.txt I am (and have been) using an FTP .DLL that has an uploadfile procedure and the only parameter to pass is file name. The .dll issues the raw FTP commands hence the STOR command vs a put. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what may all of a sudden be wrong... thanks in advance for any help Jerry, look in your IFS at the security on your other LINE text files. What happens if you run this manually from the PC, same results?? JerryB wrote: > My VB .net application used to work now it doesn't, nothing has changed > with the application. I FTP long file names (or used to) to our AS400 > but since last Wednesday I get this "Specified object name too long, > limit is 10 characters: LINE20050219." message. > The filename I was sending was LINE20050219_000000.txt so I'm not sure > why LINE20050219. is in the error message. The commands being executed > are as follows: > > open xx.xx.x.xxx > userid > pswd > cd /home/cele...

Disk drives for AS400
I have a interesting one...... Does anybody know of any trick ways to utilize stock SCSI drives for a 9406-s20 system? I know that each sector is 522 bytes, and there is a special AS400 inquiry string. + some other mode sense stuff... I have tried to modify some stock 18Gig drives to look like AS400, I might be close, I might not... They look the same on a windows IBM util, but the AS400 does not recognize them. If anybody has any clues or questions, it would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks, Gary ...

PC to AS400 Emulator
You can check this company: http://www.bosweb.com/ We use its emulator at work and its quite good. ...

Ftp from as400 to PC
Hello, I have packed value in a file in the AS400 and I need to send my file from as400 to PC and I need to send my file from pc to AS400 with FTP but I have a problem with packed caracteres please could you help Best regards Dave try to use "bin" it is - "Representation type is binary" after you sign on, type bin Gary it's not ok :( "Gary Segal" <segalgary@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: 1127411171.724353.279550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > try to use "bin" it is - "Representation type is binary" > > after you sign on, type > bin > > Gary > Dave wrote: > Hello, > > I have packed value in a file in the AS400 and I need to send my file from > as400 to PC > and I need to send my file from pc to AS400 with FTP > but I have a problem with packed caracteres > > please could you help > > Best regards > > Dave Whether you get them to your PC in ASCII or EBCDIC, the PC won't know what to do with the packed fields. You probably should do a CPYTOIMPF on the AS400 side first and produce a comma delimted file with numeric fields 'converted' from packed to 'unpacked'. Scott Hello, just one question : what for do you need your file on PC ? is it to send it via email? to display it ? to copy it in another database on PC ? sometimes i need to transfer files from one system to another, then i use FTP to get a S...

as400 cannot ping PC
I have a simple network setup: one as400 at v5r1, a w2k PC and a linksys router that connects everyone to the internet. Everything is working, but I cannot ping the pc from the as400. I can client access from the PC to the as400 and the as400 tells me its ip address is 192.168.1.8. Which matches of course with what ipconfig displays on the PC. The as400 is 192.168.1.160. I can ping it from the pc. The as400 can ping the linksys router. Its ip addr is 192.168.1.1. There is no firewall running on the PC, the router or the as400. Why would the as400 not be able to ping the pc? thanks, Steve Richter Check the routing entries on the AS400. Go CFGTCP option 2. Esp note the *DFTROUTE srichter@autocoder.com (Steve Richter) wrote in message news:<7b73919b.0408180537.69b2c608@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network setup: one as400 at v5r1, a w2k PC and a > linksys router that connects everyone to the internet. > > Everything is working, but I cannot ping the pc from the as400. > > I can client access from the PC to the as400 and the as400 tells me > its ip address is 192.168.1.8. Which matches of course with what > ipconfig displays on the PC. > > The as400 is 192.168.1.160. I can ping it from the pc. > > The as400 can ping the linksys router. Its ip addr is 192.168.1.1. > > There is no firewall running on the PC, the router or the as400. Why > would the as400 not be able to ping the pc? > &...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 ...

From a AS400 with a CCSID to another AS400 with different CCSID
Hi all, I've the following issue: - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) to another AS400 with CCSID 37 I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in the special characters... So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... What do you suggest to do? Many thanks in advance. Fabrizio On 09-Jun-2011 05:47 , Fabrizio wrote: > > I've the following issue: > > - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) > to another AS400 with CCSID 37 > > I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, > but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in > the special characters... > > So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I > can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... > > What do you suggest to do? > The system CCSID QCCSID is effectively moot in that scenario as far as I can recall. What do matter are the CCSID of the job opening the file and then reading the data, and the CCSID of the columns of the file being opened. When the job is set to a proper CCSID, then whenever the data is also "tagged" properly with a CCSID [e.g. column of a table with a non-hex (non-65535) CCSID], the database will convert the dat...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #3
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhorse86 ...

how to transfer a graphic from PC to AS400
If I have a graphic on my PC, a jpg bmp or gif file, how do I transfer it to the AS400 so that I can use it to create a simple overlay file? Is there a resource that can explain this process? The only book I have "Advanced Function Printing Utilities for AS400 User's Guide" is useless. Thanks. ...

link table IBM AS400
Hi. Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. I dont't know the exact message). I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. Here an abstract txt BOLAZI;BOLCLI;BOLDBO;BOLNBO;BOLCAU;BOLNPR;BOLTRE;BOLMAT;BOLDES [........] [........] ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato 0;474;990204;354;10;1;1; 936;PC Intel Pentium II 400 Miditower 0;474;990204;354;10;4;1; 1890;CD-ROM drive 36X 0;474;990204;354;10;5;1; 1692;HD-SCSI 4.5 Gb IBM Ultrastar WIDE 7200 0;474;990204;354;10;6;1; 1497;HD-SCSI 9.1 Gb IBM DDRS-39130 UWIDE [........] Thanks in advance M. "Mire" <mary@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buo9eo$k39dq$1@ID-57790.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hi. > Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. > My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). > > The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. > I dont't know the exact message). > I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. > > If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. > &...

Data Migration from AS400 to PC
Hi I have lots of files in AS400 I need to convert to PC. I use the "manually" process of using client acess. Is there a way of automating the process of migrating data from AS to PC. Thanks Paulo Portugal On Mar 28, 6:17=A0pm, white hair <PauloTrigoMor...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > I have lots of files in AS400 I need to convert to PC. I use the > "manually" process of using client acess. Is there a way of automating > the process of migrating data from AS to PC. > Thanks > Paulo > Portugal What kind of database on the PC? For SQL you could use DTS. For Excel I like CVTPFXLS (3rd party shareware). There is also the OS command CPYTOIMPF. FROG does a good job of building CSV files. SQL queries can also be used. Try FTP. This is for flat files (may be indexed) If you don't bother to copy the files first to QS36F and name the member like the file name than you may use the program that I stored at http://www.prym.nl/getme Just enter IP of the AS/400 (could be anywhere) userid and password, the file to get (member name must equal file name) and destination. Than Start Let me know if you are going to use it. Cheers, Ace white hair wrote: > Hi > I have lots of files in AS400 I need to convert to PC. I use the > "manually" process of using client acess. Is there a way of automating > the process of migrating data from AS to PC. > Thanks > Paulo > Portugal "Ace" <no@spam.pls>...

CRLF FTP AS400 to PC
Hi, I need to FTP from AS400 PF to PC textfile (.txt). I already success to FTP the file, but at the end of the textfile there is an additional empty line. I need to omit this line. How to do it? Example: My PF in AS400 (lenght 100 Alphanumeric) MT10X Text.......... 000001 {1:F01PDSSIDJ1RST10058091516}{2:I103INDOIDJRXXXXN}{3:{113:0070}}{4: 000002 :20:140058091516 000003 :23B:CRED 000004 :23E:SDVA ...

PowerPC extensions for IBM AS400

Time synchronization between As400 & PC
Hello!! Anyone know how synchronize the system clock of the as400 with the PC time. I have the PC's (Linux and Windows) syncronizeds with the command NET TIME. There are any equivalence in As400? Thanks. Carlos- Carlos, I'm running V5R1 on my AS/400 and to the best of my knowledge, the OS does not have the ability to act as a time SERVER; however, it can act as a time server CLIENT. On my network I've got a Windows 2000 server that acts as the network time server--it polls one of the public NIST time servers through my network's internet connection. Now, since the time on the Windows 2000 is synchronized with the NIST server, all other clients on my network, including my AS/400, use it as the network time server. To setup the time server client on your AS/400 (assuming you're running V5R1), enter the command CHGNTPA at the command line, press the F4 key, and enter in the IP address of name of your network's time server along with other details about how and when to synchronize the time. You'll need to start the AS/400's time server STRTCPSVR (*NTP), and this will only have to be done once after the initial configuration (assuming that when you used the command CHGNTPA you specified that the server would start when TCP/IP is started, and that TCP/IP is started at IPL). You also can perform these configurations if you use Operations Navigator, and under the SERVERs node, select the properties of the NTP server (it may be referred to as ...

IBM AS400 certfication test papers
Aprax Consulting believes in developing professionals who believe in themselves and are equipped with the latest state of the art in their respective fields, professionals who are confident and can compete in the challenging world. The endeavor is to inculcate a desire for continuous improvement, a sense of healthy competition, and sensitivity towards ethical and moral values. Aprax consulting offers all types of certification test papers, dumps with 100% assurance of passing. 100% Money refunded if failed (except courier charges). All IBM certification including Mainframe certification, AS400 certification test papers available. IBM MAINFRAME DB2 certification IBM AS/400 RPGILE certification Contact: Aprax Consulting Ph(M): +91-9873500678 URL: www.apraxindia.com Email: hr@apraxindia.com Your 1st sentence is grammatically incorrect and doesn't make any sense. One question: Isn't your moral values endeavor compromised by selling dumps? ...

Web resources about - AS400 disk controller in a PC... - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Hitachi HD44780 LCD controller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The device can display ASCII characters, Japanese Kana characters, and some symbols in two 28 character lines. Using an extension driver, the ...

Anchorage air traffic controllers honored for guiding low-fuel corporate jet to Unalakleet - Alaska Dispatch ...
... was rerouted by weather, with 15 minutes of fuel left on approach to Unalakleet and at least 10 minutes of flight ahead. Air traffic controllers ...

The ADATA Premier SP550 SSD Review: A Second Look At Silicon Motion's SM2256 Controller
... at ADATA's Premier SP550 SSD, the company's latest entry-level drive. The Premier SP550 gives us a fresh look at Silicon Motion's SM2256 controller ...

Hands on with Electron, the cellular mobile Arduino-like controller thing
Sean Gallagher The Electron starter kit comes in a storage box, with everything you need to turn lights on and off over the Internet. 11 more ...

Leaked Nintendo NX photos reveal a strange, buttonless controller
More evidence supporting a Nintendo NX controller leak appeared online today as a Reddit user called perkele37 shared high-quality images of ...

Nintendo NX controller leaks - Business Insider
But maybe? But probably not also.

This supposed NX controller leak looks more believable
Nintendo can't unveil its NX system soon enough. Another rumored controller leak has surfaced, and it looks much more convincing than the last ...

Chair Turns Your Butt into a VR Controller
The $3000 chair puts a new twist on the VR experience.

Microsoft reveals gradient-hued 'Shadow' Xbox controllers
Special edition Xbox controllers aren't exactly breaking news, but Microsoft unveiled a pair that are pretty unique. The shadow design models ...

Soviet Traffic Controllers on the Streets of Europe
After Russian army entered Europe in 1944-45 they have started putting their traffic controllers on the crossroads of the main European cities. ...