AS400 Network Connection

When I rebooted a switch today, an AS400 running 4R5, I believe, (I don't
administer the box in question) connected to it lost its Ethernet network
connection (twinax console was still connected). A reboot brought the
connection backup.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If the Ethernet cable is
unplugged then plugged back in the connection dies.

0
none6 (457)
2/12/2004 1:00:59 AM
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

"Coder" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> When I rebooted a switch today, an AS400 running 4R5, I believe, (I don't
> administer the box in question) connected to it lost its Ethernet network
> connection (twinax console was still connected). A reboot brought the
> connection backup.
>
> Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If the Ethernet cable is
> unplugged then plugged back in the connection dies.

Is there a configuration setting that makes this stop? No.  iSeries NICs are
very, very anal about being connected to something.

What I do is set up a reply-list entry to deal with it (WRKRPYLE).   Just
have it answer 'R' whenever the message shows up. But even with this, it
will eventually quit retrying and vary-off the device.

Also,  you said reboot,  I hope you didn't mean IPL the entire system,  just
varying off/on the line description (or if it is stuck in RCYPND status,
just '7 resume recovery' will do) and restarting TCP/IP will get it going
again.

0
gk_2345 (69)
2/12/2004 2:00:22 AM
George Kinney wrote:

> Also,  you said reboot,  I hope you didn't mean IPL the entire system,  just
> varying off/on the line description (or if it is stuck in RCYPND status,
> just '7 resume recovery' will do) and restarting TCP/IP will get it going
> again.

Or just answer the message in QSYSOPR with an "R" about the line failing.

BTW V5R2 handles most of this of error automagically now...bout time

0
kgoins (136)