AS400 on home network

Hi,

I have just picked up an AS400 running at v5r2 for working at home.

I have a very simple network with a couple of PCs and printers and a "cheap"
router.
The As400 has a network card that was working in its previous location.

I cannot seem to get it working on the new network.

Is there a straightforward checklist available so I can see that the
parameters are set up correctly?
Is there a way of testing the network card to know if it is still working
correctly?

Any ideas most welcome as I am getting rather stuck with this.

regards stony

0
news7922 (5)

StoneySoft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just picked up an AS400 running at v5r2 for working at home.
>
> I have a very simple network with a couple of PCs and printers and a
> "cheap" router.
> The As400 has a network card that was working in its previous
> location.
>
> I cannot seem to get it working on the new network.
>
> Is there a straightforward checklist available so I can see that the
> parameters are set up correctly?
> Is there a way of testing the network card to know if it is still
> working correctly?

Connect the AS400 with UTP to the cheap router
Use a 5250 (twinax) terminal
Type 'endtcp *immed'
Type "go cfgtcp" and choose 1. Is the IP-address of the AS400 correct ?
If not remove the old one and enter the correct one.
Type 'strtcp' without the quotes
Ping yourself like "ping '192.168.1.1'" If this works you could try to
telnet to the IP-address of the AS400.

Pjotr

0
invalid780 (334)
7/4/2005 1:55:23 PM
"Pjotr" <invalid@email.address> schreef in bericht
> StoneySoft wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just picked up an AS400 running at v5r2 for working at home.
> >
> > I have a very simple network with a couple of PCs and printers and a
> > "cheap" router.
> > The As400 has a network card that was working in its previous
> > location.
> >
> > I cannot seem to get it working on the new network.
> >
> > Is there a straightforward checklist available so I can see that the
> > parameters are set up correctly?
> > Is there a way of testing the network card to know if it is still
> > working correctly?
>
> Connect the AS400 with UTP to the cheap router
> Use a 5250 (twinax) terminal
> Type 'endtcp *immed'
> Type "go cfgtcp" and choose 1. Is the IP-address of the AS400 correct
?
> If not remove the old one and enter the correct one.
> Type 'strtcp' without the quotes
> Ping yourself like "ping '192.168.1.1'" If this works you could try to
> telnet to the IP-address of the AS400.
>
> Pjotr

That about sums it up. One thing though: you may see a resource failure
on the ethernet card, indicating the card may be dead. In that case,
reconfigure the line to not autodetect the card's speed settings, but
enter them manually. For most, even SOHO, switches, 100MB full duplex
will work. For hubs, and older switches, 10MB half is usually good. The
cards do not normally die just like that. Just see what your switch can
support and take the fastest settings available.

0
sorry4704 (378)
7/4/2005 2:23:51 PM
"StoneySoft" <news@stoneysoft.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just picked up an AS400 running at v5r2 for working at home.
>
> I have a very simple network with a couple of PCs and printers and a
> "cheap"
> router.
> The As400 has a network card that was working in its previous location.
>
> I cannot seem to get it working on the new network.
>
> Is there a straightforward checklist available so I can see that the
> parameters are set up correctly?
> Is there a way of testing the network card to know if it is still working
> correctly?
>
> Any ideas most welcome as I am getting rather stuck with this.
>
> regards stony

Hardwire the IP on one of the PCs to match the AS/400's IP subnet. Connect
the PC directly to the AS400 with a crossover cable. If you can ping the
AS400 then there's a good chance the router is involved.

If you can't ping the AS400 then check to make sure the connection speeds
match - older AS400s will only run at 10M.

As a second test if you are able to ping via the crossover, go back via the
router but leaving the PC's IP fixed. If you can reach the AS400 with a ping
then the router is fine but there is an address conflict elsewhere -
possibly DHCP. Is the router DHCP serving the IP addresses of the LAN
devices?

Finally, use half duplex if your router has Hub functionality and full
duplex if it is a Switch implementation. Be aware that some of the older
routers with multiple LAN ports weren't actually true Hubs nor Switches -
they merely passed the requests up the line (say to the Web) and then they
come back down again to the other device. I have an 4 port ADSL modem router
that behaves in this manner.

RJ.

0
DBDriver (97)

AS400 to AS400 connection

Hi. I need to connect my home pc to my office network. I'm using a SMC Barricade router at home and I can't seem to connect my pc to the AS400 on the office. It works fine if just use a DSL modem, but somehow it won't work with the router. Can anyone help? Thanks. Jack "Jack" <euricodrr@gmail.com> writes: > It works fine if just use a DSL modem, but somehow it won't work with > the router. > > Can anyone help? This is most likely a TCP/IP networking problem. If you use windows at home try "tracert as400name" and report back what is output. -- Thorbj�rn Ravn Andersen Jack schreef: > Hi. > > I need to connect my home pc to my office network. I'm using a SMC > Barricade router at home and I can't seem to connect my pc to the AS400 > on the office. > > It works fine if just use a DSL modem, but somehow it won't work with > the router. > > Can anyone help? > > Thanks. > > Jack > Let me guess: you're using Client Access. I seem to remember that with Client Access some connections are 'reversed', i.e. the AS/400 wnats to connect to your PC and the router blocks that traffic. Have you tried cwbping? This will tell you what connections work and what don't. Also, download and try Mochasoft's or Symtrax's TN5250 client (requires port 23 outgoing only) and see if that works. My guess is that it will. -- Vriendelijke groeten /...

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

IBM AS400

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

AS400 for Home Use
Hi all, I've been considering picking up a used as/400 and would appreciate any comments on the feasibility of purchasing a low end machine for development use at home. I have a background in rpg/cobol development but am unsure of hardware, processor and licensing issues involved. There seem to be many 170s and older interactive boxes with V4R4 available but can anyone comment on licensing, the availability of PDM, compilers and other LPPs in the used marketplace, etc? V4R4 with RPG, Cobol, etc would satisfy my initial requirements, but upgradeability to V5R1 with WDStudio tools would be an eventual concern. I would appreciate any advice on the minimum processor, memory requirements for any WAS development, webfacing etc for a single user in a non production environment. Thanks in advance. Allan Smallest current model is 800, but that's probably still a little too pricey for at home. You might be able to pick up a used 250. Either way, software has to be licensed from IBM. Another option is Baby/400, from California Software. I've never seen or used it, but they have a long history. (First product of theirs I heard of was Baby/36.) It runs on a PC, so hardware is inexpensive. It includes editor (like SEU), compilers, and database that mimics PF/LFs. If you only need to do some development and testing, this might be enough. But it is not OS/400. I'm pretty sure it won't have support for OS functions such as communications (SNA, TCP/IP), security, and...

AS400 Network Connection
When I rebooted a switch today, an AS400 running 4R5, I believe, (I don't administer the box in question) connected to it lost its Ethernet network connection (twinax console was still connected). A reboot brought the connection backup. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If the Ethernet cable is unplugged then plugged back in the connection dies. "Coder" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:UeAWb.1437$_66.226@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com... > When I rebooted a switch today, an AS400 running 4R5, I believe, (I don't > administer the box in question) connected to it lost its Ethernet network > connection (twinax console was still connected). A reboot brought the > connection backup. > > Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If the Ethernet cable is > unplugged then plugged back in the connection dies. Is there a configuration setting that makes this stop? No. iSeries NICs are very, very anal about being connected to something. What I do is set up a reply-list entry to deal with it (WRKRPYLE). Just have it answer 'R' whenever the message shows up. But even with this, it will eventually quit retrying and vary-off the device. Also, you said reboot, I hope you didn't mean IPL the entire system, just varying off/on the line description (or if it is stuck in RCYPND status, just '7 resume recovery' will do) and restarting TCP/IP will get it going again. George Kinney wrote: > > ...

From a AS400 with a CCSID to another AS400 with different CCSID
Hi all, I've the following issue: - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) to another AS400 with CCSID 37 I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in the special characters... So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... What do you suggest to do? Many thanks in advance. Fabrizio On 09-Jun-2011 05:47 , Fabrizio wrote: > > I've the following issue: > > - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) > to another AS400 with CCSID 37 > > I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, > but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in > the special characters... > > So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I > can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... > > What do you suggest to do? > The system CCSID QCCSID is effectively moot in that scenario as far as I can recall. What do matter are the CCSID of the job opening the file and then reading the data, and the CCSID of the columns of the file being opened. When the job is set to a proper CCSID, then whenever the data is also "tagged" properly with a CCSID [e.g. column of a table with a non-hex (non-65535) CCSID], the database will convert the dat...

networking about the AS400 application
Hi, I am rather new for AS400 application. I have a remote office which is using the site-to-site VPN like the following topology: [A ( AS400 Server )] ---------IPLC Line-------- [B]-------Site-to-Site VPN----[C] >From B pinging to A, time = 244ms, time = 60 >From C pinging to A, time = 296ms TTL=60 >From site B & site C both are using iSeries access to the AS400 Server. We found that workstations in Site C hangs in connecting to the AS400 server while workstations in Site B has no any problem at all. Does anybody knows the problem ? the network latency time or the VPN connection ? Thanks so much for your kindly help Most likely your VPN isn't allowing the need ports. In addition to telnet (25) there are additional ports needed by iSeries Access in the 84xx range. >From the PC, with VPN connected, try running CWBPING to your iseries. It will tell you where its failing. Also, you may want to reivew the information at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp ...

AS400 and Dell Networked Printers ?
Hello, In the coming months I will be adding a number of network printers as AS400 printers. Most of them will be Dell. Right now I'm trying to connect a Dell 3100cn PCL6 color laserjet printer. The only document that I can find on the internet says to configure it as a *HPCOLORLJ if I remember right from work. I've also tried the *HP5000. Neither of these or several other tries has worked.I have not changed any settings on the laser printer because I wouldn't know what to change. The printer is on the network with a fixed IP and it is in DNS so I can see it on the domain. Iseries is on 5.3 When I try to print I get a couple of partial pages and several more with just 3 or 4 characters at the top. Nothing exotic, just letters and numbers. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Joe in Florida This is a configuration that I have used successfully with a number of dell 3100's. Just make sure you have your ip address and subnet mask right on the printer as well. CRTDEVPRT DEVD(DZ) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(3812) MODEL(1) LANATTACH(*IP) + PORT(9100) ATTACH(*DIRECT) ONLINE(*YES) FONT(11 *NONE) + FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) + MSGQ(*LIBL/D4) ACTTMR(170) INACTTMR(30) LINESPEED(19200) + WORDLEN(8) PARITY(*NONE) STOPBITS(1) TRANSFORM(*YES) + MFRTYPMDL(*HP5SI) PPRSRC1(*LETTER) PPRSRC2(*NONE) + ENVELOPE(*NONE) ASCII899(*NO) IMGCFG(*NONE) CHR...

PowerPC extensions for IBM AS400

AS400 network load balancing
i know that I have to create VIP for the 3 network card that I have for AS400 but the problem that I have is the ip addresses for the computers that connect to that VIP are in two different subnet. one of them is in subnet 0 and the other one is in subnet 100. and the VIP is going to be in subnet 0. Does subnet 100 work if I create the VIP with subnet 0? ...

link table IBM AS400
Hi. Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. I dont't know the exact message). I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. Here an abstract txt BOLAZI;BOLCLI;BOLDBO;BOLNBO;BOLCAU;BOLNPR;BOLTRE;BOLMAT;BOLDES [........] [........] ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato 0;474;990204;354;10;1;1; 936;PC Intel Pentium II 400 Miditower 0;474;990204;354;10;4;1; 1890;CD-ROM drive 36X 0;474;990204;354;10;5;1; 1692;HD-SCSI 4.5 Gb IBM Ultrastar WIDE 7200 0;474;990204;354;10;6;1; 1497;HD-SCSI 9.1 Gb IBM DDRS-39130 UWIDE [........] Thanks in advance M. "Mire" <mary@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buo9eo$k39dq$1@ID-57790.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hi. > Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. > My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). > > The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. > I dont't know the exact message). > I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. > > If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. > &...

Solaris & General Networking
I'm first trying to figure out, after failed attempts, if what I'm hoping to achieve is even possible or should simply be avoided. PROBLEM: Unable to get a wired IPV4 LAN to route through multi-homed Solaris server through to internet. All other connectivity works great. SETUP: "Typical"* home LAN setup. (* IMHO) Hardware, is only four devices: 1) Gigabit Netgear "router" 2) Netgear Wireless Access Point 3) Solaris server running Solaris Express Developer Edition 2/07 4) MacBook Pro (hereafter "MBP") Network schematic: Internet (WAN) t...

IBM AS400 certfication test papers
Aprax Consulting believes in developing professionals who believe in themselves and are equipped with the latest state of the art in their respective fields, professionals who are confident and can compete in the challenging world. The endeavor is to inculcate a desire for continuous improvement, a sense of healthy competition, and sensitivity towards ethical and moral values. Aprax consulting offers all types of certification test papers, dumps with 100% assurance of passing. 100% Money refunded if failed (except courier charges). All IBM certification including Mainframe certification, AS400 certification test papers available. IBM MAINFRAME DB2 certification IBM AS/400 RPGILE certification Contact: Aprax Consulting Ph(M): +91-9873500678 URL: www.apraxindia.com Email: hr@apraxindia.com Your 1st sentence is grammatically incorrect and doesn't make any sense. One question: Isn't your moral values endeavor compromised by selling dumps? ...

What procedure for install a network printer on a AS400 ...
Hello, Thanks for advance P�cha ...

Copy File from AS400(v5r2) to Network
Good afternoon. I know that there are tons of info about this on line, but I could not find any clear answers. We are running low on space on our 9406 - 820 (V5r2) Currently, our uses are running a lot of CPYTOPCD programs, but from now on we want to save all pc files(".TXT", ".CSV") located on IFS; on our Windows 2003 Data Server. My Questions are: 1. What is the best way to do it. (commands or tools) 2. Should I use CPYTOIMPF/CPYTOSTMF. what is the difference between them (so far I could not make them to work. below are my examples:) ===> CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(LIBA/TEXTFILE *FIRST) TOSTMF('//SERVER_PDC/ AS400DATA/ RNWFILW.CSV') MBROPT(*REPLACE) STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII) RCDDLM(*CRLF) No records copied from file TEXTFILE in LIBA. --------- CPC2957 ===> CPYTOSTMF FROMMBR('/Qsys.Lib/goebel.Lib/TEXTFILE.File/ TEXTFILE.Mbr') TOSTM F('/GOEBEL_PDC/AS400DATA/RNWFILW.CSV') STMFOPT(*REPLACE) STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII) Object not copied. Object is /Qsys.Lib/LIBA.Lib/TEXTFILE.File/TEXTFILE.Mbr. --------------- CPFA097 3. I know that we can use FTP, but we are copying to Data server and it is not configured to be FTP server. Do I have to start ftp services? Is a big deal to set it up? Thank you all in advanced. Gary On May 6, 9:01=A0am, Gary Segal <segalg...@gmail.com> wrote: > Good afternoon. > > I know that there are tons of info about this on line, but I could not > find any clear answers. > > We are r...

The mapped network drive could not be connected to AS400 Folder
Hello. AS400/PC Networking We have a shared drive on our AS400. It was working for years without any problems. Drive: F Folder: \\SYSTEM01\QDLS\FGUS All of the sudden on Monday we started to get this massage(on all PC's that are trying to connect to any \\SYSTEM01\QDLS\..... folders: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: No more connections could be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as computer can accept." Based on my research on line this is a windows license issue. But what is it has to do with AS400 drive ??? When I try to connect to: \\SYSTEM01\ROOT\QDLS\FGUS - It connects without any problems. It does not make sense to me............ Any Ideas ? Thank you in advanced Gary segalgary@hotmail.com This is a windows message indicating that the maximum number of connections for the share has been reached. Open Ops Nav / File Systems/ IFS / Shares Right click the share, Properties, and check maximum number of connections allowed. segalgary@hotmail.com (Gary Segal) wrote in message news:<f010f638.0411021248.c6fcf0c@posting.google.com>... > Hello. > > AS400/PC Networking > > We have a shared drive on our AS400. It was working for years without > any problems. > > Drive: F > Folder: \\SYSTEM01\QDLS\FGUS > > All of the sudden on Monday we started to get this massage(on all PC's > that are tryi...

Does IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux?
Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which distribution is available? Al Al Bogner wrote: > Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which > distribution is available? The following shows the which models support Linux. http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/linux/pdfs/guide.pdf ...

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

Work from Home - AS400 (During Night Hrs
Hi, I am looking for a part time work from home in AS400. I work as a programmer analyst in my organization and I am very good with the following: CBL/400, CBLLE, CL, CLLE, EMBEDDED SQL, DB2/400, Synon 2E, RLU etc. Application: WINS Let me know if there is any provision. ...

ODBC drivers for IBM AS400 on Mac OsX
Hello, I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. I cannot usa jdbc because the program that needs to access this AS400 is FileMaker Pro 8, and it handles only odbc connections. Thank you for your help and patience, -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | Sorry for the multiple posts, Guido > I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) > for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can > be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. > A quick google search didn't show much in the way of DB2 ODBC drivers for Mac, but there's an odbc-to-jdbc bridge product that may be helpful: http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Kaj Julius wrote: > http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ > (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Thank you Kaj, I will take a look. -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | ...

Web resources about - AS400 on home network - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

The Hint News Network
The Hint News Network Menu Headlines Economy Health About Us Contact Us &#10005 Headlines Seattle Man to ordered to return $7.75 Million from ...

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

The D'oh-cial Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The story starts with Mr. Burns' lawyer accusing Lisa of destroying the city. Lisa tells everyone about the day she and her family went to the ...

Verizon’s fiber network will expand—after three-state sale to Frontier
(credit: Verizon) Verizon is set to complete a sale of its wireline phone, Internet, and TV networks in California, Florida, and Texas to Frontier ...

Mike Gundy: Texas network a 'failure,' elimination key to Big 12 stability
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy did not hold back about the strain the Texas-centric Longhorn Network is putting on the Big 12 conference.

IDG Contributor Network: Ad hoc logging with logger
If you write as many scripts as I do to monitor services and check the status of various processes that run on your servers, you might like knowing ...

Is The Longhorn Network Killing The Big 12?
Five years into the grand experiment, and the Longhorn Network is kind of a disaster. It’s losing money hand-over-fist: reportedly $48 million ...

‘American Crime’ Was Network TV’s Best Drama, But ABC Will Only Let You Stream Half Of It
It’s great to be one of the best seasons of television this year; not so great if viewers can’t watch your episodes.

Alpha Networks downsizes personnel
Networking/communication device maker Alpha Networks has reduced its domestic and overseas personnel from 6,000 to 5,000 in a bid to decrease ...

Seattle's Plan to Build Gigabit Fiber Network Stuck in Limbo -
For much of the last decade Seattle has explored the idea of building their own ultra-fast broadband network. Much of that motivation was fueled ...