Best way to connect to AS400

What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.

I know I can connect using ODBC driver for .Net but I know it is quite
slow, but I'm not aware of the speed of a JDBC driver connecting to
the AS400. Depending on which way is more efficient will decide which
language I will be programming my apps in. If there are any other
suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you for the advice.
0
jconnor (31)

The .NET & ODBC drivers are going to perform the same as the JDBC driver.  What
you need to do is look at your application design and how sound your indexing
strategy is.  This is covered in the iSeries SQL Performance Workshop.  Goto the
DB2 UDB for iSeries website for more information (ibm.com/iseries/db2)

--
Kent Milligan, DB2 & BI team
PartnerWorld for Developers, iSeries

Bob

jconnor@as400support.com (J Connor) wrote in message news:<a1baec47.0404131303.7fc93bb1@posting.google.com>...
> What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
> the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.
>
> I know I can connect using ODBC driver for .Net but I know it is quite
> slow, but I'm not aware of the speed of a JDBC driver connecting to
> the AS400. Depending on which way is more efficient will decide which
> language I will be programming my apps in. If there are any other
> suggestions, please let me know.
>
> Thank you for the advice.
0
db2team (22)
4/15/2004 6:02:13 AM
You may want to take a look at our ASP/400 iSeries data provider software
which can be used to provide high-speed access to iSeries data from any
Microsoft IIS/ASP web site.

You can do record level access, call existing programs with parms, submit
remote commands and more.

Feel free to contact me directly with specific questions or check out our
web site and download a FREE demo of the ASP/400 software.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"The AS/400 and iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts"
Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com

"J Connor" <jconnor@as400support.com> wrote in message
> What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
> the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.
>
> I know I can connect using ODBC driver for .Net but I know it is quite
> slow, but I'm not aware of the speed of a JDBC driver connecting to
> the AS400. Depending on which way is more efficient will decide which
> language I will be programming my apps in. If there are any other
> suggestions, please let me know.
>
> Thank you for the advice.

> What I'm looking for is to find the most efficient way to connect to
> the AS400 either using a .Net solution or Java solution.

The most efficient solution is to use the jt400 open java toolkit.

Another way is to get the very last beta .net managed drivers,
BUT this is only for connecting to databases, so not for running
programs or manage your iSeries.

Anyway, with the jt400 open toolkit you can almost do everything
on your iseries on java.

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jt400/

Best Regards,

Patrick

0
bielen (9)

AS400 to AS400 connection

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

IBM AS400

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

AS400 connection AGAIN....

AS400 connection again...
Can someonne please tell me an ADO connection string to use to link an AS400 table to Access WITHOUT using a DSN? I want to use: currentdb.tabledefs(td).connect = sConnectionString currentdb.tabledefs(td).RefreshLink I CAN ALREADY CREATE AN ADO CONNECTION. THE WEB SITES PEOPLE ARE SUGGESTING ONLY GIVE CONNECTION STRINGS NOT A STRING I CAN USE FOR A TABLEDEF. Is there a way? Thanks. Matthew Wells MWells@FirstByte.net On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 21:38:21 GMT, "Matthew Wells" <MWells@FirstByte.net> wrote: I like this site for connection strings: http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=81 (formerly able-consulting.com) -Tom. >Can someonne please tell me an ADO connection string to use to link an AS400 >table to Access WITHOUT using a DSN? I want to use: > >currentdb.tabledefs(td).connect = sConnectionString >currentdb.tabledefs(td).RefreshLink > >I CAN ALREADY CREATE AN ADO CONNECTION. THE WEB SITES PEOPLE ARE SUGGESTING >ONLY GIVE CONNECTION STRINGS NOT A STRING I CAN USE FOR A TABLEDEF. > > >Is there a way? > >Thanks. > >Matthew Wells >MWells@FirstByte.net > > > ...

A Basic question on Connecting non-IBM FC Disk Subsystem to AS400
Hi, I'm exploring connecting a non-IBM AS400 disk subsystem to AS400, for example connecting an IBM FAStT Storage Subsystem to the AS400. Can this be done? If so what do I need to get this working? Is the config certified by IBM? Thank you. ...

How to connect WHow to connect WINCE to AS400 DB2 ?
I'm looking for a solution to connect from a WinCE device to an AS400 Database (or MySQL or whatever else other than MS SQL). ADOCE for example is only supporting a connection to an local Access Database or the local file system. I tried ViaDB from Odessey Software (a trial version for one connection) but no succsess. I have looked for several solutions in C++, VB and Java but nothing seems capable to get an easy connection to a database connected wireless. Maybe someone can help me. Thanks. -- "Warum haben wir eigentlich nie Zeit, eine Sache richtig zu machen, aber immer Zeit, sie noch mal zu machen?" 'Systemdenken und Softwarequalit�t', Gerald Weinberg I tried to do this 2 years ago --- the only information I was able to ascertain was that you could write your own data provider or have one written for you. There were also several kludges we were entertaining in order to do this -- one involved Citrix server I believe. Ultimately, the project was killed. It seems like the same issues still exist today. If you find a data provider that works with CE I'd be interested in learning about it. Good Luck Jim K "Frank Barfs" <wegmachen.barfs@vsb-soft.de> wrote in message news:f7qjsc.hic.ln@ID-226326.user.uni-berlin.de... > I'm looking for a solution to connect from a WinCE device to an AS400 > Database (or MySQL or whatever else other than MS SQL). > ADOCE for example is only supporting a connection t...

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP forma...

AS400 modem connection
Help please, I have an AS400 running OS V4R1 and have the *LIN/*CTL/*DEV configured, with a modem connected to COMN2. I am trying to dial in to this from my laptop using a standard dial up connection (Windows XP) the laptop has client access loaded. The AS400 modem receives the call, but then I get the following messages. AS400 The exchange identifier (XID) is *NOID PC error the is 619 It would seem that I need a different form of dial up! First - upgrade to a supported release of OS/400 (i.e. at least v5r1). Second - is this leading to a Lotus Notes/Domino question? If n...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP forma...

AS400 Network Connection
When I rebooted a switch today, an AS400 running 4R5, I believe, (I don't administer the box in question) connected to it lost its Ethernet network connection (twinax console was still connected). A reboot brought the connection backup. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If the Ethernet cable is unplugged then plugged back in the connection dies. "Coder" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:UeAWb.1437$_66.226@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com... > When I rebooted a switch today, an AS400 running 4R5, I believe, (I don't > administer the box in question) connected to it lost its Ethernet network > connection (twinax console was still connected). A reboot brought the > connection backup. > > Is there a way to prevent this from happening? If the Ethernet cable is > unplugged then plugged back in the connection dies. Is there a configuration setting that makes this stop? No. iSeries NICs are very, very anal about being connected to something. What I do is set up a reply-list entry to deal with it (WRKRPYLE). Just have it answer 'R' whenever the message shows up. But even with this, it will eventually quit retrying and vary-off the device. Also, you said reboot, I hope you didn't mean IPL the entire system, just varying off/on the line description (or if it is stuck in RCYPND status, just '7 resume recovery' will do) and restarting TCP/IP will get it going again. George Kinney wrote: > > ...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP format and optimize images. Increase disk space= , network bandwidth and performance. Reduce mailbox / DB sizes. Single prod= uct offering. Notes template based installation. http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/attachzip ACL Dominator: ACL management and administration reporting security tool fo= r IBM Notes Report, manage, analyze, audit, export, update all Access Control Lists on = an IBM Domino server. Fix security holes, optimize servers, expand nested g= roups, prepare for message migrations. Report on ACLs, database properties,= mailbox preference properties, user activity, DAOS. http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/acldominator Print Merge Reporter: Mail merge, printing and reporting tool for IBM Notes Mail merge Excel, contacts, barcodes and Notes app data to email or printer= using Notes, iNotes, web. Generate charts and reports to Word, Excel, and = PDF fo...

Connect to as400 through vpn
Hi all, This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as400. I am using mocha, that doesn't work. I tried telneting directly to the as400 from a command prompt, that doesn't work. I can telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office, that's fine. Just not the as400s. Anyone else have something like this? Is there some issue with telnet or mocha through a vpn? Thanks, Julien Hi, Julien Mills schrieb: > Hi all, > > This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office > through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as400. > I am using mocha, that doesn't work. I tried telneting directly > to the as400 from a command prompt, that doesn't work. I can > telnet from a command prompt to other computers in the office, > that's fine. Just not the as400s. > > Anyone else have something like this? > > Is there some issue with telnet or mocha through a vpn? > > Thanks, > Julien that sounds to me as if the default gateway on as400 is'nt setup correctly. We are using Mochasoft over vpn without any problems. Kind regards Michael On Sep 23, 11:24=A0am, Michael Paris <michael.pa...@pv-koeln.de> wrote: > Hi, > > Julien Mills schrieb: > > > Hi all, > > > This is sort of a strange thing, when I connect to our office > > through the vpn (road warrior) I cannot access our as4...

From a AS400 with a CCSID to another AS400 with different CCSID
Hi all, I've the following issue: - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) to another AS400 with CCSID 37 I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in the special characters... So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... What do you suggest to do? Many thanks in advance. Fabrizio On 09-Jun-2011 05:47 , Fabrizio wrote: > > I've the following issue: > > - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) > to another AS400 with CCSID 37 > > I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, > but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in > the special characters... > > So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I > can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... > > What do you suggest to do? > The system CCSID QCCSID is effectively moot in that scenario as far as I can recall. What do matter are the CCSID of the job opening the file and then reading the data, and the CCSID of the columns of the file being opened. When the job is set to a proper CCSID, then whenever the data is also "tagged" properly with a CCSID [e.g. column of a table with a non-hex (non-65535) CCSID], the database will convert the dat...

Connecting with AS400 systemname??
Hello. All my clients(PCs) are with CA connected to AS400. In CA configuration are for systemname the IP address of the AS400. If i put the Systemname SXXXXXX i have a error "Cannot find the system........" I have many AS400, so i dont wont to search always, if i install CA in a PC what are the IP address. I wont do use AS400 Names LIKE PROCUTION, FACTORING,SERVICE etc. .. Its this possible?? And how?? thanks. marsias racontait dans comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc: > Hello. Hello > > All my clients(PCs) are with CA connected to AS400. > > In CA configuration are for systemname the IP address of the > AS400. > > If i put the Systemname SXXXXXX i have a error "Cannot find the > system........" > It means that the IP stack of the PC cannot resolve the IP address of the SXXXXXX name. > I have many AS400, so i dont wont to search always, if i install > CA in a PC what are the IP address. > > I wont do use AS400 Names LIKE PROCUTION, FACTORING,SERVICE etc. > > . > > Its this possible?? And how?? > You have to update the hosts file of your PC or use a DNS for name resolution. > thanks. > > -- Cordialement/Best regards Marc Rauzier marsias wrote: > Hello. > > All my clients(PCs) are with CA connected to AS400. > > In CA configuration are for systemname the IP address of the AS400. > > If i put the Systemname SXXXXXX i have a error "Cann...

JDBC connect to as400 database
I' m trying to connect to as400 db2 database using JDBC driver (com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver). I'm executing query: select vrijednost from sekvence where ime='seq_transid' and i get this message: [SQL0204] SEKVENCE in EXTLOG001 type *FILE not found. Table sekvence looks like this: CREATE TABLE VASPRDDB00/SEKVENCE ( IME VARCHAR(64) CCSID 870 NOT NULL , VRIJEDNOST INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 1 , CONSTRAINT VASPRDDB00/PK_SEKVENCE PRIMARY KEY( IME ) ); What is the problem? Thanx, Alan try: select vrijednost from VASPRDDB00.sekvence where ime='seq_transid' HTH is it necessary to use shema (VASPRDDB00) before table name in as400 database? Alan The qualified name (schema.table) is mandatory if your connection use *SQL naming criteria. Check your connection setting. The error that you've reported IMHO may be caused from - naming criteria (if setted as SQL) or (if naming is setted to SYS) - table not found in your library list. HTH Most likely case is that EXTLOG001 is your default library and you are using SQL naming scheme on your connection. You have several options: * change to system naming and make sure VASPRDDB00 is in your library list * SET SCHEMA EXTLOG001 /* makes this lib your default lib */ * fully qualify SEKVENCE with the library name (i.e. VASPRDDB00.SEKVENCE) Elvis That was it. Thanx. Alan ...

MQ connection on AS400 and OS390
Message could be send to 390 from AS400 through a channel. However, message could not be send from 390 to AS400 through an other channel. Any idea?? ...

? connect to db2 as400 server
i'm new to database connectivity through java. can u help/guide me how to connect to db2 as400 server(os 400) from client windows/linux terminal through jdbc . i'v downloaded the jdbc db2 driver from i-net . tell me the specification regarding where to place the drivers,classes,libraries etc. Do i need to edit or create the database.properties file thanks - progpro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.codecomments.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, you need another driver, you'll find it at http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/toolbox/downloads.htm its an pure java driver and runs on any java system. The driver class is com.ibm.access.AS400JDBCDriver the url you need is jdbc:as400://HostName/DefaultSchema Dieter Bender progprob wrote: > > i'm new to database connectivity through java. > > can u help/guide me how to connect to db2 as400 server(os 400) from a > client windows/linux terminal through jdbc . > > i'v downloaded the jdbc db2 driver from i-net . > > tell me the specification regarding where to place the > drivers,classes,libraries etc. > > Do i need to edit or create the database.properties file > > thanks. > > > > -- > progprob > --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Sybase Db connection from AS400
Hi I have a webserver written in java and running in tomcat on an iseries. Currently I connect to the iseries DB2 database with the JDBC driver com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver. Now there is a requirement to connect to a machine that hosts a sybase database do I just need to load up one of standard sybase JDBC drivers like com.sybase.jdbc.SybDriver or com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver onto the iseries? or is there anything special I need to know? Thanks in advance Steve Hi, all Type 4 drivers should work without any problems Dieter Bender torch wrote: > Hi > I have a webserver written in java and running in tomcat on an > iseries. > Currently I connect to the iseries DB2 database with the JDBC driver > com.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver. Now there is a requirement to connect to a > machine that hosts a sybase database do I just need to load up one of > standard sybase JDBC drivers like com.sybase.jdbc.SybDriver or > com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybDriver onto the iseries? or is there anything > special I need to know? > > Thanks in advance > > Steve ...

ADO Connection To AS400
Hi All Hope someone can help me here as I am losing the plot fast. I am attempting to import data from an AS400 table (The application is Mapics) into forms in a Lotus Notes application Below is the code that I use to connect to the AS400. However when I attempt to display any value from the record set I get a type mismatch error. If I change the connection to point to a table in a non-mapics library I am able to display the value with no problem. The user profile I am logging on with has the required authority. I have retrieved data using ADO and Delphi before so this should w...

Web resources about - Best way to connect to AS400 - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Connect Four - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Connect Four (also known as Captain's Mistress , Four Up , Plot Four , Find Four , Fourplay , Four in a Row and Four in a Line ) is a two-player ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

Kinvey Connects Mobile Apps To Facebook’s Open Graph
Facebook’s open graph technology is great for Web applications that want to better connect with users through the social network. But what about ...

Hillary Clinton's appearance on 'Broad City' is her latest attempt to connect with millennials
Surprise! Beyoncé Just Dropped a New Single — Complete With a Music Video The Totally Endearing Reason David Beckham Won't Stop Getting Tattoos ...

iTunes Connect down for many users; nothing yet showing on Apple’s status page
According to a variety of users on Twitter, iTunes Connect is down at the moment. Users report that they are unable to access any aspect of the ...

ClipCall Connects Users With Service Professionals Through Video
ClipCall has announced the official public launch of its app on iOS and Android. The video home repair app allows users to record videos of their ...

Samson launches Go Mic Connect portable laptop-focused USB microphone on Indiegogo
... quickly. Today, Samson announces a new laptop-focused portable microphone (it can also work with desktop monitors), called the Go Mic Connect. ...

Some Kindles will no longer connect to the Internet if they aren’t updated by Tuesday
Have a Kindle from 2012 or earlier? It's about to go offline for good if you don't update it. Over the past several days, Amazon has been sending ...

Inside the game-changing data center that connects Seattle to Asia
Puget Sound area companies Wave Broadband and Centeris could strengthen the region’s ties to the some of the world’s largest economies through ...

Hillary Clinton’s appearance on 'Broad City' is her latest attempt to connect with millennials
Hillary Clinton made a guest appearance on this week's episode of Comedy Central's “Broad City”, a show centered around two best friends, Ilana ...