bulk inserts from stored procedure

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

What is the best way to do bulk inserts from a SQL stored procedure or
one created by using C with embedded sql and host variables?

I need to call it from VB via ODBC

Does DB2 SQL handle arrays yet?

If anyone could point me to some examples that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

0
Reply spoliskey (49) 11/30/2005 10:03:16 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9054 articles. 12 followers. Post

Stored procedure from stored procedure
Is it possible to create a stored procedure from a stored procedure? When I attempt this inanity, it doesn't blow up until syntax error at the first "end procedure" statement of the SP I'm trying to create within the outer SP. Can this be done? Using IDS 7.31-UC4 on Solaris 2.7/Intel (don't ask). On 24 Sep 2003 11:47:09 -0700, red_valsen@yahoo.com (Red Valsen) wrote: >Is it possible to create a stored procedure from a stored procedure? >When I attempt this inanity, it doesn't blow up until syntax error at >the first "end procedure" ...

calling a stored procedure from a stored procedure
Hi Folks, I'm trying to define a (I thought) trivial stored procedure (SP) as a front-end to the standard SP "dbms_system.set_ev", which I want to use to generate a 10046 tracing event. I'm trying to execute the following PL/SQL: create or replace procedure rob_enable_tracing ( sid in integer, serial in integer ) is begin dbms_system.set_ev(sid, serial, 10046, 4, ''); end; and getting the error: PLS-00201: identifier 'DBMS_SYSTEM.SET_EV' must be declared If I provide the schema in which "set_ev" is defined, in this ...

Calling a stored procedure from another stored procedure...
Goodmorning, I'm quite new to PostgreSQL, started off with version 8.0 some time ago. Recently I've begun working with stored procedures and now I've come accross a little problem / issue I can't seem to figure out. A quick overview of the situation: I have one stored procedure with returns a SET OF a new (record) type I've declared. For example: mytype index INTEGER; description VARCHAR; cost FLOAT; function calculate_cost(...): returns set of mytype; This stored procedure works without a problem. I can just do a &quo...

Getting Data from a storeed procedure in a stored procedure
What I am looking to do is use a complicated stored procedure to get data for me while in another stored procedure. Its like a view, but a view you can't pass parameters to. In essence I would like a sproc that would be like this Create Procedure NewSproc AS Select * from MAIN_SPROC 'a','b',..... WHERE ......... Or Delcare Table @TEMP @Temp = MAIN_SPROC 'a','b',..... Any ideas how I could return rows of data from a sproc into another sproc and then run a WHERE clause on that data? Thanks Chris Auer Instead of using the complicated stored proced...

Executing Oracle stored procedure from a Java stored procedure
Hi, Here is my pb : Executing an Oracle stored procedure from a Java method included within a Java class stored on the Oracle database causes an error ORA-03113 "End of file on communication canal". When executing the Java method straight from a command line everything is ok. If executed from the Oracle server, I get this message. I need your help ! Alain Alain ROUILLON wrote: > Hi, > > Here is my pb : > > Executing an Oracle stored procedure from a Java method included within a > Java class stored on the Oracle database causes an e...

Procedure in Stored procedure??
Hi all, Question from a guy who knows PL/SQL, but is starting with Transac-SQL on SQL Server.... Is it possible to have a sub procedure in a Stored Procedure, like we do in a PL/sql package ? Or better yet, have a kind of general Stored Procedure that would contain procedures called by more than one Stored Proc?? I can't find anything like this in the online books.... Thanks for your inputs.... Philip Hi SQL Server does not have packages and limited scope for shared variables. http://vyaskn.tripod.com/oracle_sql_server_differences_equivalents.htm http://tinyurl.com/n7v6 ht...

Oracle Stored Procedures VERSUS SQL Server Stored Procedures
I want to know the differences between SQL Server 2000 stored procedures and oracle stored procedures? Do they have different syntax? The concept should be the same that the stored procedures execute in the database server with better performance? Please advise good references for Oracle stored procedures also. thanks!! <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1120793932.351921.5760@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I want to know the differences between SQL Server 2000 stored > procedures and oracle stored procedures? Do they have different > syntax? The concept shou...

Stored Procedure to Insert OR Update
Hello I have a simple stored procedure that takes couple of values and inserts a new record using them into a table. However, if the primary key, is duplicated it throws an error and doesn't insert anything. Good so far. However is it possible to change that SP so that if the record being inserted has a primary key that already exists in table, it treats is as an UPDATE and now searches for the primary key and updates the record with the new entries. Also is it possible to just UPDATE columns in the record that are different from the ones already in the table? Thanks for any help or a...

Insert Query with stored procedure
Hi, is it possible to create an "INSERT INTO ..... "Select from stored procedure" Query? I want to create an temporary table. In this table I want to enter the data, which I can get from an stored procedure. But in the FROM-clause a stored procedure is not allowed? "Harald" <yixxu@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:bfhh70$jt5$1@online.de... > Hi, > > is it possible to create an "INSERT INTO ..... "Select from stored > procedure" Query? > > I want to create an temporary table. In this table I want to enter the data, > wh...

Stored procedure Bulk replace

Using stored procedure result set in another stored procedure
I've been developing a stored procedure that uses a user defined function in the query portion of the procedure. However, since the end product needs to allow for dynamic table names, the UDF will not work. I've been trying to get this to work with converting the UDF to a procedure, but I'm having no luck. Here is the background on what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to perform a sub-identity on a table, I have the normal identity set, but there are multiple duplicates in the table and I need each set of duplicates numbered also (1,2,3,4 for duplicate set 1, 1,2,3 for dup 2)...

LARGE INSERT in STORED PROCEDURE
Hi, I am trying to insert a large number of rows into a table inside a SPL. But every time, I run the SPL, the table is locked because of the INSERT. When I tried to issue a COMMIT, right after the INSERT in the SPL. I got an error stating that there was no open cursor. I have done some research on here and found that it's not possible to issue a COMMIT inside an SPL. But it can be done so on the client side. Can anyone shade me some light on this ? I'm quite new here and not sure how to do that. What are other options to get around this if I have to commit after each ...

DB2 COBOL stored procedure to UDB SQL stored procedure
I have been given the task of taking a 3,200 line COBOL stored procedure and duplicating the same functionality in UDB 7.2 on the Windows platform with a procedural SQL stored procedure. I have fiddled with procedural SQL stored procs on UDB, but mostly short,trivial ones. Looking for good advice, links, etc. on the best approach to this. There doesn't seem to be the concept of subroutines within a stored proc, so I am guessing one main stored proc that may be calling multiple smaller stored procs? Just found out about this need late this afternoon and wondering what the best a...

How to return a Pk value from one stored procedure to another stored procedure
Dear All, I have one stored procedure like sp_insertEmployee Employee Table Fileds Eno int pk, ename varchar(100), designation varchar In stored Procedure After inserting the ename and designation it has to return the Eno pk Id automatically I have another Department deptno int pk, Eno int fk, Depname varchar In this stored procedure I need to execute the sp_insertEmployee Stored procedure and we need that Pk return value after executing that By using that Id in this Department table we will insert the eno can u help me out on this issue Thanks CREATE PROCEDURE sp_i...

how to call a stored procedure in an insert command
hi, i had a small doubt , i have a table xxx with two columns (a int,b int ) and i have inserted 5 rows my query is to add the two colums using a stored procedure and the result has to be displayed in an separate column --this has to be done only stored procedures ---i know how to solve the problem using computed columns concept like this create table yyy(a int ,b int ,total as a+b) insert into yyy values (12,13) select * from yyy i need the answer using stored procedures---is it possible pls help me satish create proc get_your_calc as begin select a, b, total = a + b from yyy ...

INSERT or UPDATE
Hello, I've got sql statement: update lib/t1 set PRLT = (select detmin from lib/t2 where kod = prdc) where prdc in (select kod from lib/t2) and UNIT = 'SZT' -- and second one insert into lib/t1 ( select kod, 'PLN' , 'SZT' , detmin from ( select * from lib/t2 left outer join lib/t1 on prdc = kod ) z where prdc is NULL ) as You can imagine my point is insert not existing records (into t1) from t2 and update existing. SQL solution is ok, but looking for more elegan way I've found RPG useful (basically CHAIN opcode and WRITE if NOT %FOUND). No...

insertion using stored procedure in oracle.
hi there, I need to write to a stored procedure in oracle 9i to insert values in a table in which: 1) Values in one column are to be retrived from a column in another table. 2)Getting three parameters as inputs in the procedure,and inserting those values in the same row which has the value that has been taken from the different table. am very new to sp and am really confused when do we use wat..like cursors,index,functions etc. so plzz provide some sample code to handle this insertion. This sounds like a homework assignment and homework should be done by the person it is assinged to. You c...

Execute Stored procedure scripts in bulk
Hi, I have a folder containing about 150 stored procedures. Is there a way - through batch or command file to execute all of them at once..execute all files ending in .sql extension (inside a folder). Its not possible to list each SP name in a command file or execute each SP in management studio. please suggest. thanks > I have a folder containing about 150 stored procedures. Is there a way > - through batch or command file to execute all of them at > once..execute all files ending in .sql extension (inside a folder). A lowly Windows FOR command can help you here. The FOR comman...

Stored Procedure
Hello everyone, Against my better judgement I have been thrust into the duty of creating Crystal reports for my company. I have discovered rather quickly that I also need to become familar with SQL (creating views and stored procedures). Quick question. I have a stored procedure were I created a workfile. Several thousand records get inserted in this work file. Is it normally quicker to join all the tables I need for the insert or is it faster to get all the base records inserted into the workfile then do one or more updates to the workfile using the other tables that I didn't join. ...

SQL Stored Procedures X Java Stored Procedures in DB2 8.2
Hi All, We are starting a large data warehousing project using DB2 8.2 on AIX. There is a direction to move any new internal development to Java and a question was raised: Would it be a good idea to have all stored procedures that we might need (ETL, additional transformers, etc) for this project and any other project written in Java as opposed to SQL/P? Does anyone have any number or experience in terms of performance differences? Regards, Rafael Faria Rafael Faria wrote: > Hi All, > > We are starting a large data warehousing project using DB2 8.2 on AIX. >...

Inserting Data using a Stored Procedure
In Microsoft SQL I can run the following command: insert into table execute proc1 to insert data into a table. Is there a comparable way to do this in DB2? I am not sure if we can directly call the procedure and insert its result set into a table in a single statement. Another way out is to to write a stored procedure for doing the same ..You can associate a cursor with stored procedure result set and hence fetch the data from the stored procedure result which can be inserted into the table . You can use ASSOCIATE RESULT SET LOCATORS and ASSOCIATE CURSOR for the same . Re...

Calling Stored Procedure remotely from other stored procedure (DB2 9.7 LUW)
Hello db2-experts, I'm planning an asynchronous application driven data replication. Therefor I want to call a stored procedure in database "x" on machine "b" from a stored procedure in database "y" on machine "a". Any ideas out there how to do it ? I found nothing appropriate in the manuals or examples. TIA Frank On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:37:33 PM UTC+2, Frank Mickler wrote: > Hello db2-experts, > > > > I'm planning an asynchronous application driven data replication. > > Therefor I want ...

Calling an Insert Stored Procedure in ASP
Ok, folks. Here's the deal. Basically, I have a Stored Procedure in Oracle that inserts data into a table. Simple enough. I want to call this sp from ASP, and here is the code: InsertQuery = "'" & serial_num & "','" & payment_type & "', " & "'" & contract_num & "', '" & delivery_task_order & "', '" & invoice_num & "', '" & invoice_date & "', '" & invoice_entered & "', " & ...

Calling a stored procedure from an insert statement
Can someone provide guidance on how I can call a stored procedure from a sql statement. We have a procedure which generates sequence numbers. I want to call this procedure to generate a value for an insert statement. Any help is greatly appreciated. On 25 Mar 2006 19:56:40 -0800, "bmaxed" <brodellis@gmail.com> wrote: >Can someone provide guidance on how I can call a stored procedure from >a sql statement. We have a procedure which generates sequence numbers. > I want to call this procedure to generate a value for an insert >statement. > >A...