Canon iR1510-1670 printer on AS400

I am trying to get a Canon iR1510-1670 printer working as an AS400
printer.  The spool file just sits at SND status and doesn't go
anywhere, doesn't generate an error message.  Can anybody help me?

Anne

0
afarkas (9)

Anne wrote:
> I am trying to get a Canon iR1510-1670 printer working as an AS400
> printer.  The spool file just sits at SND status and doesn't go
> anywhere, doesn't generate an error message.  Can anybody help me?
>
> Anne

How are you attempting to connect? Using a device description or a
remote output queue

Angus
Angus wrote:
> Anne wrote:
> > I am trying to get a Canon iR1510-1670 printer working as an AS400
> > printer.  The spool file just sits at SND status and doesn't go
> > anywhere, doesn't generate an error message.  Can anybody help me?
> >
> > Anne
> >
> How are you attempting to connect? Using a device description or a
> remote output queue
>
> Angus

Remote outq

0
afarkas (9)
12/8/2005 6:14:33 PM
Take a look at the writer job log.  There should be messages in the job
log indicating why the send attempts keep failing.

--
Rodney A Johnson
Technical Team Lead for i5/OS (AS/400) Spool

my employer, IBM.  All responsibility for the statements
sender.
0
rodjohns (130)
12/9/2005 2:21:59 PM
I can't find a job log for the writer.  The send doesn't seem to
actually fail, it just never completes.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Anne

0
afarkas (9)
12/9/2005 3:06:07 PM
You might be able to force it to dump a job log by doing a wrkactjob
sbs(qspl) and then use option 4, hit F4 to prompt the command and
specify "*IMMED" for "When to end writer". Then jump out of that and do
a wrkoutq qezjoblog and hit shift-F6 to jump to the bottom of the list.
There should be a log there with the name of your writer.

I assume you tested the preliminary stuff, you can ping the address of
the printer from your as/400 and the print server configuration is
okay(no duplicate IP's etc...)

Chris

What is the model? Does it support PCL?

For example, ImageRunner 1670F is not supported for PCL or LPR, since
it uses a proprietary printer stream.

Thanks!  I tried it and got the following error:
Message . . . . :   Remote host system rejected the open attempt.

Cause . . . . . :   This may have occurred because the remote host does
not
  have ports available for use or does not support TELNET. Recovery  .
.. . :
  Try the request again or contact the system administrator.

I'm still lost on how to fix it though.  Any suggestions?

I did make sure I could ping the address of the printer from the 400
when I set it up and that works fine.

0
afarkas (9)
12/12/2005 2:05:32 PM
It is a 1670F.

Anne

0
afarkas (9)
12/12/2005 2:16:07 PM
"Anne" <afarkas@asco.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks!  I tried it and got the following error:
> Message . . . . :   Remote host system rejected the open attempt.
>
> Cause . . . . . :   This may have occurred because the remote host does
> not
>  have ports available for use or does not support TELNET. Recovery  .
> . . :
>  Try the request again or contact the system administrator.
>

> I'm still lost on how to fix it though.  Any suggestions?
>
> I did make sure I could ping the address of the printer from the 400
> when I set it up and that works fine.

The error you are showing does not look familiar for an outq printer.  Below
is a configuration that I use for these types of devices.

Create Output Queue (CRTOUTQ)

Output queue . . . . . . . . . .       >PRINTXXX

  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .             *CURLIB

Maximum spooled file size:

  Number of pages  . . . . . . .     *NONE

  Starting time  . . . . . . . .

  Ending time  . . . . . . . . .

                      + for more values

Order of files on queue  . . . .    *FIFO     .

Remote system  . . . . . . . . .      *INTNETADR

Press F10 to get the entire command listing

remote printer queue . . . . . .               'text'

Writers to autostart . . . . . .        1

Queue for writer messages  . . .             QSYSOPR

  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .

Connection type  . . . . . . . .       *IP

destination type . . . . . . . .         *OTHER

Host print transform . . . . . .       *YES

User data transform  . . . . . .      *NONE

  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .

Manufacturer type and model. . .          *HP5SI

Workstation customizing object .           *NONE

Library  . . . . . . . . . . . .

Image configuration  . . . . . .     *NONE

Internet address . . . . . . . .         '192.168.1.150'

Chris

400_newbie wrote:
> "Anne" <afarkas@asco.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks!  I tried it and got the following error:
> > Message . . . . :   Remote host system rejected the open attempt.
> >
> > Cause . . . . . :   This may have occurred because the remote host does
> > not
> >  have ports available for use or does not support TELNET. Recovery  .
> > . . :
> >  Try the request again or contact the system administrator.
> >

> > I'm still lost on how to fix it though.  Any suggestions?
> >
> > I did make sure I could ping the address of the printer from the 400
> > when I set it up and that works fine.
> >

> The error you are showing does not look familiar for an outq printer.  Below
> is a configuration that I use for these types of devices.
>
> Create Output Queue (CRTOUTQ)
>

> Output queue . . . . . . . . . .       >PRINTXXX
>
>   Library  . . . . . . . . . . .             *CURLIB
>
> Maximum spooled file size:
>
>   Number of pages  . . . . . . .     *NONE
>
>   Starting time  . . . . . . . .
>
>   Ending time  . . . . . . . . .
>
>                       + for more values
>
> Order of files on queue  . . . .    *FIFO     .
>
> Remote system  . . . . . . . . .      *INTNETADR
>

> Press F10 to get the entire command listing
>

> remote printer queue . . . . . .               'text'
>
> Writers to autostart . . . . . .        1
>
> Queue for writer messages  . . .             QSYSOPR
>
>   Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> Connection type  . . . . . . . .       *IP
>
> destination type . . . . . . . .         *OTHER
>
> Host print transform . . . . . .       *YES
>
> User data transform  . . . . . .      *NONE
>
>   Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> Manufacturer type and model. . .          *HP5SI
>
> Workstation customizing object .           *NONE
>
> Library  . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> Image configuration  . . . . . .     *NONE
>
> Internet address . . . . . . . .         '192.168.1.150'
>

> Chris

Thanks Chris,

I tried setting it up this way and I still get the same error message.

Anne

0
afarkas (9)
12/12/2005 7:37:11 PM
> Thanks Chris,
>
> I tried setting it up this way and I still get the same error message.
>
> Anne

Anne,

    We can determine quickly if the printer is rejecting the attempt to
connect or if there is something else.  Most of the time printers will take
any value for "remote printer queue", some will actively reject the
connection.

Lets do a test to insure that it isnt as simple as this.

setup a windows printer as simple TCP/IP (use HP Laserjet 4 for the driver).
After it is configured, change the port settings in Properties ->
ports -->configure port --> to LPR and queue name of text.

Do a test print to see if it prints.  If it does, we need to look at
something else.  I personally go right to a network trace if it gets this
annoying.  Its easier to study what is happening when you can see what each
part of the communications is doing.

I can give you instructions on doing the trace so ONLY this printer
communications are seen..

Let me know.

Chris..

The IBM website suggests the following remote print queue values,
depending on which print is used:
Canon imageRUNNER Printers
with internal Fiery LAN Adapter ==>'print' or 'PRINT'

Canon imageRUNNER Printers
with imagePASS-M1 Print Controller ==> 'pt1' or possibly 'lpt1'

Still wondering about the CAPT printer stream though

400_newbie wrote:
> > Thanks Chris,
> >
> > I tried setting it up this way and I still get the same error message.
> >
> > Anne
> >

> Anne,
>
>     We can determine quickly if the printer is rejecting the attempt to
> connect or if there is something else.  Most of the time printers will take
> any value for "remote printer queue", some will actively reject the
> connection.
>
> Lets do a test to insure that it isnt as simple as this.
>
> setup a windows printer as simple TCP/IP (use HP Laserjet 4 for the driver).
> After it is configured, change the port settings in Properties ->
> ports -->configure port --> to LPR and queue name of text.
>
> Do a test print to see if it prints.  If it does, we need to look at
> something else.  I personally go right to a network trace if it gets this
> annoying.  Its easier to study what is happening when you can see what each
> part of the communications is doing.
>
> I can give you instructions on doing the trace so ONLY this printer
> communications are seen..
>
> Let me know.
>
> Chris..

Chris,

Thanks for all your help.  I couldn't get it to print.
I finally got in touch with customer support for the print server
attached to the Canon printer and they tell me that it will not work
with an AS400.  Apparently they have other printer servers that work
with AS400 but none of them work with Canon printers.  Looks like my
boss got fed a line by the salesman and now we are stuck with this
printer that can't do everything we wanted it to.
Thanks again for all the help!

Anne

0
afarkas (9)
12/13/2005 3:18:30 PM
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for all your help.  I couldn't get it to print.
> I finally got in touch with customer support for the print server
> attached to the Canon printer and they tell me that it will not work
> with an AS400.  Apparently they have other printer servers that work
> with AS400 but none of them work with Canon printers.  Looks like my
> boss got fed a line by the salesman and now we are stuck with this
> printer that can't do everything we wanted it to.
> Thanks again for all the help!
>
> Anne

Anne,

    Sorry to hear that, I work with printer manufacturers everyday, and many
will say "we dont support that" but in reality the technology will, if
configured correctly.  many times the tech groups dont know what to do when
they hear AS400..

Is the printer front end a "fiery"  if so, setting the remote queue name to
"print" or "direct" may work....  I have integrated many Cannon devices and
getting the data to the printer isnt usually the issue.

But if your sick of dealing with it, I certainly understand...

Chris

400_newbie wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > Thanks for all your help.  I couldn't get it to print.
> > I finally got in touch with customer support for the print server
> > attached to the Canon printer and they tell me that it will not work
> > with an AS400.  Apparently they have other printer servers that work
> > with AS400 but none of them work with Canon printers.  Looks like my
> > boss got fed a line by the salesman and now we are stuck with this
> > printer that can't do everything we wanted it to.
> > Thanks again for all the help!
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne,
>
>     Sorry to hear that, I work with printer manufacturers everyday, and many
> will say "we dont support that" but in reality the technology will, if
> configured correctly.  many times the tech groups dont know what to do when
> they hear AS400..
>
> Is the printer front end a "fiery"  if so, setting the remote queue name to
> "print" or "direct" may work....  I have integrated many Cannon devices and
> getting the data to the printer isnt usually the issue.
>
> But if your sick of dealing with it, I certainly understand...
>
> Chris

Chris,

Unfortunately the printer front end is an AXIS 1650.

Anne

0
afarkas (9)
12/13/2005 5:50:23 PM
"Anne" <afarkas@asco.ca> schreef in bericht

> 400_newbie wrote:
> > > Chris,
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your help.  I couldn't get it to print.
> > > I finally got in touch with customer support for the print server
> > > attached to the Canon printer and they tell me that it will not
work
> > > with an AS400.  Apparently they have other printer servers that
work
> > > with AS400 but none of them work with Canon printers.  Looks like
my
> > > boss got fed a line by the salesman and now we are stuck with this
> > > printer that can't do everything we wanted it to.
> > > Thanks again for all the help!
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Anne,
> >
> >     Sorry to hear that, I work with printer manufacturers everyday,
and many
> > will say "we dont support that" but in reality the technology will,
if
> > configured correctly.  many times the tech groups dont know what to
do when
> > they hear AS400..
> >
> > Is the printer front end a "fiery"  if so, setting the remote queue
name to
> > "print" or "direct" may work....  I have integrated many Cannon
devices and
> > getting the data to the printer isnt usually the issue.
> >
> > But if your sick of dealing with it, I certainly understand...
> >
> > Chris
>
> Chris,
>
> Unfortunately the printer front end is an AXIS 1650.
>
> Anne

Haven't followed this thread from its beginning, so maybe it's already
suggested, but here's a thought. Can you open a session to the printer
in your webbrowser? That might get you some info on the network side of
the printer.
Another thoought: have you tried 'auto' for the remote queue name? Many
printers will then pick the proper personality if multiple personalities
are available (e.g. PS and PCL).
Yet another thought: make sure the printer is not configured for PS
(postscript) only. You can see if it expects postscript by sending it a
printjob by watching the printer dispaly or activity LED. If you send a
non-PS printjob to a PS printer, the printer will flush the job. The
printer's display then flashes the message 'Processing job' and go back
to ready.  You will not get an error in OS/400 and the job appears to be
printing normally.
Final thought: if the printer does not support LPR it may support SNMP.
Haven't had any luck in getting SNMP queues set up, but that may be me.
Looking at the printer driver and port definition on a Windows PC might
give you some clues as well... With LPR, the port will many times be a
'Standard TCP/IP port', with name IP_<ip-address> and flavor 9100...

Just looked at the AXIS support page
(http://www.axis.com/techsup/prtsrv/axis_1650/technotes_1650.htm#1): if
your Canon is a CAPT printer, forget it:

"Canon Advanced Printing Technology (CAPT) is Canon's implementation of
Host Based printing technology, making it possible to reduce cost and
increase printing speed. The CAPT technology is available in two
versions, 1.0 and 2.1, both supported by the AXIS 1650 print
server...AXIS 1650 supports Windows for all supported printers. Other
environments are supported for non-CAPT printers through LPR and raw
TCP/IP."

If you're not sure, press the test button on the AXIS: "It is not
possible to print a test-page on a CAPT printer.
You can print a test page from AXIS 1650 by connecting it to a none CAPT
(PCL or Bubblejet) printer and pressing the test button."

So, if pressing the test button prints a test page, you can print from
OS/400. If not, tough luck. However, you still may be able to print
through a Windows printserver. You'd need an LPR deamon on the Windows
box forwarding your stream to the AXIS driver...

--
Best regards,

Ren´┐Ż H. Hartman
www.hac-maarssen.nl

0
sorry4704 (378)
12/13/2005 8:24:23 PM
Ren=E9 H. Hartman wrote:
> [...]
> Host Based printing technology, making it possible to reduce cost and
> increase printing speed. The CAPT technology is available in two
> versions, 1.0 and 2.1, both supported by the AXIS 1650 print
> server...AXIS 1650 supports Windows for all supported printers. Other
> environments are supported for non-CAPT printers through LPR and raw
> TCP/IP."
>
> If you're not sure, press the test button on the AXIS: "It is not
> possible to print a test-page on a CAPT printer.
> You can print a test page from AXIS 1650 by connecting it to a none CAPT
> (PCL or Bubblejet) printer and pressing the test button."
>
> So, if pressing the test button prints a test page, you can print from
> OS/400. If not, tough luck. However, you still may be able to print
> through a Windows printserver. You'd need an LPR deamon on the Windows
> box forwarding your stream to the AXIS driver...

The printer is a CAPT printer.

Anne

0
afarkas (9)
12/13/2005 8:53:14 PM
Hi Anne,

CAPT technology utilizes the processing horsepower of a Windows OS
based PC to convert application formatted data into something the
printer can understand. So far, IBM doesn't have a CAPT implementation
for i5/OS - OS/400 so you need to send your IBM host work to CAPT
enabled Canon IMAGERunners via a Windows PC.

If you use iSeries Access and your spool files are all *SCS, the
following suggestion will work.

Create a PC5250 printer session. If you then configure the PC5250 print
session to not use Host Print Transform (uncheck the box Transform
Print Data to ASCII on AS/400), the i5/OS - OS/400 EBCDIC data will be
transferred natively from the IBM host to the PC running iSeries
Access. If you also make sure that you do not select the Use PDT
checkbox, iSeries Access will convert your EBCDIC data into a Windows
format known as GDI on the PC running iSeries Access. The GDI format is
the generic input format required by Windows print drivers. You will be
able to use the Canon IMAGERunner print driver to format the IBM host
data and CAPT printing will then be supported.

If you need to print *USERASCII or *AFPDS spool files as well, please
let me know.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

E-mail: ptykodi@tykodi.com

Anne wrote:
> [...]
> > Host Based printing technology, making it possible to reduce cost and
> > increase printing speed. The CAPT technology is available in two
> > versions, 1.0 and 2.1, both supported by the AXIS 1650 print
> > server...AXIS 1650 supports Windows for all supported printers. Other
> > environments are supported for non-CAPT printers through LPR and raw
> > TCP/IP."
> >
> > If you're not sure, press the test button on the AXIS: "It is not
> > possible to print a test-page on a CAPT printer.
> > You can print a test page from AXIS 1650 by connecting it to a none CAPT
> > (PCL or Bubblejet) printer and pressing the test button."
> >
> > So, if pressing the test button prints a test page, you can print from
> > OS/400. If not, tough luck. However, you still may be able to print
> > through a Windows printserver. You'd need an LPR deamon on the Windows
> > box forwarding your stream to the AXIS driver...

0
ptykodi (87)

Web resources about - Canon iR1510-1670 printer on AS400 - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Site Map
Office Mojo