Edit box/ Combo box in RPG

Hi all,

I do love reading this thread. One of the 'old' messages I was reading
(pointed to a branch off link) was about some lad trying to earn $150
per hour. Well worth reading:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6695

Anyway, while reading this I came across a described situation in VB
that is really easy to achieve. Incredibly this is what I have been
asked to replicate in g.screen rpg yet I am having trouble working out
how to do it AND can not find any clues on the web. Basically, has
anyone done this?
The problem was this:
you have an edit box and a combo box.
As you type in the edit box....
the combo box should search the list and
bring the relevant choices to the top.

In other words...
as I type "s"
all the items in the list beginning with s go to the top.
then I type "t" (now "st")...
all the items in the list beginning with st go to the top.
rmcc70 (59)

Assuming you are trying to program this on a green screen. I can think
of 3 options.

Option #1).

Your text area would have to be composed of a lot of 1 position
character fields, and each field will have to have the ability to auto
record advance when the field is filled, use CHECK(ER) in your screen
DDS.

By default all screen fields must have 1 empty space between them
which would be a problem. But a couple years ago I read an article
that explained how to have fields touching with no space between them.

If you can't defeat the spacing problem use this route.

Use a 1 position field (Field#1) conditioned on a indicator, use
check(er) when the field is filled control will pass to the program
and do your magic.

Then move the value of Field#1 to Field#2 a 2 position field. Turn off
field#1 indicator, and turn on field#2 indicator and re-display the
screen.

The user keys 1 character and Field#2 is now full, check(er) and
return control to your program. Do your magic and move field#2 to
field#3 a 3 position field, set indicators, blah, blah, blah,.......

Anyway use have a 1 position field, 2 position field, 3 position
field, 4 position field, ,......., 99 position field and 99 indicators
turning the fields on and off 1 at a time.

Also a lot of cursor positioning is going to have to be done. Because
when you move field#1 to field#2 the cursor needs to be in the 2nd
position ready for input, so that when 1 character is type the field
is filled check(er) and control passes to the program.

Simple as pie...... A prefect example for recursion.

Option #2).
Use a 1 second delay on the screen. Once every second the screen will
give control back to the program and you can test to see if there is a
value in the input field and load your subfile based on the value and
re-display.

The problem some people can type a lot of characters in 1 second.

Another problem is all the cpu cycles that would be required for the
continous looping.

Option #3).
Let them type a few characters and hit a function key to trigger
building the selection subfile.

On 3 Sep 2003 03:35:02 -0700, rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky)
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I do love reading this thread. One of the 'old' messages I was reading
>(pointed to a branch off link) was about some lad trying to earn $150
>per hour. Well worth reading:
>http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6695
>
>Anyway, while reading this I came across a described situation in VB
>that is really easy to achieve. Incredibly this is what I have been
>asked to replicate in g.screen rpg yet I am having trouble working out
>how to do it AND can not find any clues on the web. Basically, has
>anyone done this?
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>The problem was this:
>you have an edit box and a combo box.
>As you type in the edit box....
>the combo box should search the list and
>bring the relevant choices to the top.
>
>In other words...
>as I type "s"
>all the items in the list beginning with s go to the top.
>then I type "t" (now "st")...
>all the items in the list beginning with st go to the top.
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0
emcook (224)
9/3/2003 1:47:49 PM
emcook@yahoo.com wrote:
> Assuming you are trying to program this on a green screen. I can think
> of 3 options.
>
> Option #1).
>
> Your text area would have to be composed of a lot of 1 position
> character fields, and each field will have to have the ability to auto
> record advance when the field is filled, use CHECK(ER) in your screen
> DDS.
>
> By default all screen fields must have 1 empty space between them
> which would be a problem. But a couple years ago I read an article
> that explained how to have fields touching with no space between them.

And that is what I really want to know. How fields can touch with no space
between them. Could you do some lookup to find this article.

Thx,
Peter

0
invalid780 (334)
9/3/2003 2:31:17 PM
I read the article atleast 6 years ago, and it may have been limited
to displaying output fields. It may not be possible for input fields.

I think it involved overlaying screens.

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:31:17 +0200, "pete�" <invalid@email.address>
wrote:

>emcook@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Assuming you are trying to program this on a green screen. I can think
>> of 3 options.
>>
>> Option #1).
>>
>> Your text area would have to be composed of a lot of 1 position
>> character fields, and each field will have to have the ability to auto
>> record advance when the field is filled, use CHECK(ER) in your screen
>> DDS.
>>
>> By default all screen fields must have 1 empty space between them
>> which would be a problem. But a couple years ago I read an article
>> that explained how to have fields touching with no space between them.
>
>And that is what I really want to know. How fields can touch with no space
>between them. Could you do some lookup to find this article.
>
>Thx,
>Peter

0
emcook (224)
9/3/2003 3:24:20 PM
The problem is you can't "trap" the individual key strokes with RPG
like a PC can.  Java might be able to do it as well as C/C++, but
AFAIK, the iSeries can't do unbuffered i/o (keystrokes).

Maybe someone else has an answer.

Jonas

rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky) wrote in message news:<9f42b1cb.0309030235.65343d00@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I do love reading this thread. One of the 'old' messages I was reading
> (pointed to a branch off link) was about some lad trying to earn $150
> per hour. Well worth reading:
> http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6695
>
> Anyway, while reading this I came across a described situation in VB
> that is really easy to achieve. Incredibly this is what I have been
> asked to replicate in g.screen rpg yet I am having trouble working out
> how to do it AND can not find any clues on the web. Basically, has
> anyone done this?
> The problem was this:
> you have an edit box and a combo box.
> As you type in the edit box....
> the combo box should search the list and
> bring the relevant choices to the top.
>
> In other words...
> as I type "s"
> all the items in the list beginning with s go to the top.
> then I type "t" (now "st")...
> all the items in the list beginning with st go to the top.
jtemple (209)
9/3/2003 4:19:56 PM
But, if on each of the single character fields you have the automatic record
advance "ER" keyword coded, you could simulate unbuffered keystroke events
for those fields because you would be returned to the program everytime you
typed anything.

"post400" <post400@prontomail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> on green screens there are no events as in VB or other windows
> stuff.Actually the only "event" on AS400 is Enter or an F or Page key(
> of course on Client Access you can use a mouse but that's not a real
> event it's still an Enter or other key actually).So I guess it's kind
> of difficult to fill the list just by changing the edit-field (that
> would be a CHANGE event I think )and no Enter afterwards or some Fkey
> !
>

> Bye,
> post400
>
> rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky) wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I do love reading this thread. One of the 'old' messages I was reading
> > (pointed to a branch off link) was about some lad trying to earn $150
> > per hour. Well worth reading:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6695

> > Anyway, while reading this I came across a described situation in VB
> > that is really easy to achieve. Incredibly this is what I have been
> > asked to replicate in g.screen rpg yet I am having trouble working out
> > how to do it AND can not find any clues on the web. Basically, has
> > anyone done this?
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The problem was this:
> > you have an edit box and a combo box.
> > As you type in the edit box....
> > the combo box should search the list and
> > bring the relevant choices to the top.
> >
> > In other words...
> > as I type "s"
> > all the items in the list beginning with s go to the top.
> > then I type "t" (now "st")...
> > all the items in the list beginning with st go to the top.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually there is some way to capture the keystrokes but it gets real
deep. I recall when IBM was helping acompany port their word processor
(don't recall which one) on the AS400 that they had it watching every
keystroke. The result was that it would bring the AS/400 to its knees!
The other was you had to build the screen yourself could not use
normal DDS.

So I would say that the bottom line is come up with something the
users can live with.

Dan :(

jtemple@yhti.net (Jonas Temple) wrote in message news:<cb2c1f5c.0309030819.72799db7@posting.google.com>...
> The problem is you can't "trap" the individual key strokes with RPG
> like a PC can.  Java might be able to do it as well as C/C++, but
> AFAIK, the iSeries can't do unbuffered i/o (keystrokes).
>
> Maybe someone else has an answer.
>
> Jonas
>
> rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky) wrote in message news:<9f42b1cb.0309030235.65343d00@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I do love reading this thread. One of the 'old' messages I was reading
> > (pointed to a branch off link) was about some lad trying to earn $150
> > per hour. Well worth reading:
> > http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6695
> >
> > Anyway, while reading this I came across a described situation in VB
> > that is really easy to achieve. Incredibly this is what I have been
> > asked to replicate in g.screen rpg yet I am having trouble working out
> > how to do it AND can not find any clues on the web. Basically, has
> > anyone done this?
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The problem was this:
> > you have an edit box and a combo box.
> > As you type in the edit box....
> > the combo box should search the list and
> > bring the relevant choices to the top.
> >
> > In other words...
> > as I type "s"
> > all the items in the list beginning with s go to the top.
> > then I type "t" (now "st")...
> > all the items in the list beginning with st go to the top.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0
dannelson (95)
9/3/2003 11:19:35 PM
The overlay method does not seem straightforward. My experience (on
the 400) is basically RPG. This app. is g.screen so I assummed RPGILE
but now I am thinking if a call could be made to a C or Java program
that might be able to do this.

Does anyone know if a Java or C call can interface to a DDS
field/screen? The better question is, would this be relatively
straightforward?

Tx
0
rmcc70 (59)
9/4/2003 4:52:04 AM
The office wordprocessor somehow managed it & also detected when words
reached the end of the line & wrapped them. But I have never seen even
suggestions as to how it was done. I like the idea of turning on a field
just 1 char larger than the last one, but it makes deletion a problem.

--
Jonathan.

"QMAGIC" <dannelson@cox.net> wrote in message
> Actually there is some way to capture the keystrokes but it gets real
> deep. I recall when IBM was helping acompany port their word processor
> (don't recall which one) on the AS400 that they had it watching every
> keystroke. The result was that it would bring the AS/400 to its knees!
> The other was you had to build the screen yourself could not use
> normal DDS.
>
> So I would say that the bottom line is come up with something the
> users can live with.
>
> Dan :(
>

> jtemple@yhti.net (Jonas Temple) wrote in message
> > The problem is you can't "trap" the individual key strokes with RPG
> > like a PC can.  Java might be able to do it as well as C/C++, but
> > AFAIK, the iSeries can't do unbuffered i/o (keystrokes).
> >
> > Maybe someone else has an answer.
> >
> > Jonas
> >
> > rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky) wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I do love reading this thread. One of the 'old' messages I was reading
> > > (pointed to a branch off link) was about some lad trying to earn $150
> > > per hour. Well worth reading:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=6695

> > > Anyway, while reading this I came across a described situation in VB
> > > that is really easy to achieve. Incredibly this is what I have been
> > > asked to replicate in g.screen rpg yet I am having trouble working out
> > > how to do it AND can not find any clues on the web. Basically, has
> > > anyone done this?
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > The problem was this:
> > > you have an edit box and a combo box.
> > > As you type in the edit box....
> > > the combo box should search the list and
> > > bring the relevant choices to the top.
> > >
> > > In other words...
> > > as I type "s"
> > > all the items in the list beginning with s go to the top.
> > > then I type "t" (now "st")...
> > > all the items in the list beginning with st go to the top.
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0
jb
9/4/2003 10:43:58 AM
rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky) wrote in message news:<9f42b1cb.0309032052.4468c5a@posting.google.com>...
> The overlay method does not seem straightforward. My experience (on
> the 400) is basically RPG. This app. is g.screen so I assummed RPGILE
> but now I am thinking if a call could be made to a C or Java program
> that might be able to do this.
>
> Does anyone know if a Java or C call can interface to a DDS
> field/screen? The better question is, would this be relatively
> straightforward?
>
> Tx

In C ,yes you can work with screens, in Java is not so strightforward
but it can be done but in the end it's still a greenscreen DDS managed
by AS400.

Maybe you should look into DSM-Dynamic Screen Manager which is quite
interesting and allows for many tricks not normally available in DDS
but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

bye,
post400
0
post400 (14)
9/4/2003 12:18:15 PM
The text area could be all 1 char position fields and each conditioned
on an indicator. Making only 1 field active at anytime.

A char is type, auto record advance. Turn on the indicator for the
next field, type a char, auto record advance, ...... etc......

That would solve the problem of having to have a space between each
field. Because only 1 field is active (visible) at anytime. But
previously typed data would be invisible.

On another screen you would put the chars previously typed into a 80
char field. The active screen would overlay the screen with the 80
char field and you would see the previously typed data visible in the
underlying screen. Tricky but possible, I read an article that
explained doing this years ago.

But that creates a backspace problem, if backspace doesn't trigger the
auto record advance, to allow a char by char undo operation.

You would be limited to about 99 characters in your text area, because
you would run out of indicators.

On 3 Sep 2003 21:52:04 -0700, rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky)
wrote:

>The overlay method does not seem straightforward. My experience (on
>the 400) is basically RPG. This app. is g.screen so I assummed RPGILE
>but now I am thinking if a call could be made to a C or Java program
>that might be able to do this.
>
>Does anyone know if a Java or C call can interface to a DDS
>field/screen? The better question is, would this be relatively
>straightforward?
>
>Tx

0
emcook (224)
9/4/2003 1:05:59 PM
I just checked the ILE C/C++ Programmer's Guide and found this about
streams on page 160 (V5R1):

Three buffering schemes are defined for ANSI standard C streams.  They
are:
* Unbuffered - characters are intended to appear from the source or at
the destination, as soon as possible.  The ILE C compiler does not
support unbuffered streams.

So obviously this hasn't changed since the C compiler for the AS/400
came out.  That means you'll have to look at Java to see if it will do
what you need.  Might be a good idea to write the UI screen handling
program entirely in Java and then hand off to your RPG program.

rmcc70@hotmail.com (Ralph McClusky) wrote in message news:<9f42b1cb.0309032052.4468c5a@posting.google.com>...
> The overlay method does not seem straightforward. My experience (on
> the 400) is basically RPG. This app. is g.screen so I assummed RPGILE
> but now I am thinking if a call could be made to a C or Java program
> that might be able to do this.
>
> Does anyone know if a Java or C call can interface to a DDS
> field/screen? The better question is, would this be relatively
> straightforward?
>
> Tx
0
jtemple (209)
9/4/2003 2:00:32 PM
I was playing around in RPG a long long time ago in a galaxy far, far,
away.  And wrote a Chat program.  The screen would auto-refresh as the
user was typing.  There were some quirks.  Every 5 secs. the screen
would update with new chat messages from other users and read the
buffer in the display file and put back what the user had typed.  One
of the quirks was if the user moved the cursor to the cursor off the
field to type in I couldn't put it back at the exact location it was
when I updated the subfile.  I would be happy to share this with
anyone if you want it.  It's made up of 2 display files, 3 phyiscal
files, 1 RPG, 1 CL.

jtemple@yhti.net (Jonas Temple) wrote in message news:<cb2c1f5c.0309040600.1d19cdcb@posting.google.com>...
> I just checked the ILE C/C++ Programmer's Guide and found this about
> streams on page 160 (V5R1):
>
> Three buffering schemes are defined for ANSI standard C streams.  They
> are:
> * Unbuffered - characters are intended to appear from the source or at
> the destination, as soon as possible.  The ILE C compiler does not
> support unbuffered streams.
>
> So obviously this hasn't changed since the C compiler for the AS/400
> came out.  That means you'll have to look at Java to see if it will do
> what you need.  Might be a good idea to write the UI screen handling
> program entirely in Java and then hand off to your RPG program.

0
thomprl (20)

How can I link the combo box to the edit box
Hi, I have a form that there is a combo box and an edit box. I have a table with Customer ID, Company Name and Country. I want to do that when my combo box chooses an item(eg McDonald in Company Name) in the form, the edit box can show another item (eg USA in Country) after the trigger. How can I do that? I've tried to do so, but the edit box still cannot show the related item, but only blank to let me enter info. Thx very much! Raymond Make sure you combo returns the Country in a column - it can be hidden by setting that column width to 0. In the Control Source for the text box put - =NameOfCombo.Column(ColumnIndex) ColumnIndex is a 0 based index. Count the column from left to right 0,1, etc. Jeff Pritchard ________________ Asken Research Pty. Ltd. Access Database Developers www.asken.com.au "studentZ" <ismdragon03@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:3db7ea05.0309062011.5a69f38c@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I have a form that there is a combo > box and an edit box. I have a table with Customer ID, Company Name and > Country. I want to do that when my combo box chooses an item(eg > McDonald in Company Name) in the form, the edit box can show another > item (eg USA in Country) after the trigger. How can I do that? I've > tried to do so, but the edit box still cannot show the related item, > but only blank to let me enter info. > Thx very much! > Raymond "studentZ" <ismdragon03@yahoo.com.hk> wrot...

Requery Combo Box Clears All Combo Boxes
I have a subform that has a datasheet in it. In the datasheet I have multiple records. Each record has many textboxes and combo boxes. I have a particular combobox with 2 columns, Column 1 has the ID, Column 2 the description (The ID is hidden) (We will call this combobo cmbDescription). The combobox in question is dependend on a different combobox in the record (we eill call this combobox cmbCriteria) When I enter the cmbDescription I have some Code that goes like this. If Not IsNull(fldCriteris) Then GlobalCriteris = fldCriteria cmbDescription.Requery End If The cmbDescription uses the GlobalCriteria (i relize there is a better way but I have been tinkering with this for a while so it has changed over time) to filter what descriptions are available. When this happens it effects all the combo boxes above it in all the previous records and clears the combo box of its description but the ID is there but the description disappears. It only happens to this combo box because it has 2 columns and the second column (decription text) doesn't have a match when using the globalvariable I have been having many troubles since I can't figure out for the life of me how else to give the criteria to the query with a if in place (if null). Otherwise I would just reference the fldCriteria directly. I really need some help and can't figure it out. Thank you in advance. Bud ...

Making combo boxes change options in other combo boxes
Hi, On my form I have one field of "City", and this in turn needs to effect "Township". When township is selected, the next field is distance, and for every 'township' there are 2 distances available to pick. (i.e. Washington brings townships 1-5, then township #1 has distances of 23Miles or 36Miles). How do I: 1) Make sure when a city is selected, only the townships in that city show up in the next drop down box. 2) Once a township is selected, there are basically 2 options in the next drop down box that should show up. What's the best way to do this? Thanks much!! Howdy: Try searching for 'Synchronize Combo Boxes' in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. The article is different, depending on the version of Access you're using: '97 or earlier: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/98660/en-us 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209595/en-us 2002 or 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289670/en-us HTH, Jana http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0028.htm ...

How to reference one combo box from another combo box

combo boxes and check boxes
Hello, I am new to the advanced level of access, and I have quite a few changes to make to an existing database. The current database's main form needs to have additional check boxes added to it which in turn are meant to be linked to relevant tables and a combo box which hold relevant data specific for it. E.g. If checkbox1 is selected then, in the combo box, all the relevant data types would appear for checkbox1 from which the user can choose from. If checkbox2 is selected then the combo box would display the list of data types only relevant to it. I have created the check boxes and the relevant tables which will hold the information. I also would like to know how I can have only one check box selected at any time. I am aware of the options group, but is there another way? The Combo Box The current database design is such that there is a text box which needs to be converted to a combo box. All the information within the text box needs to be preserved. How would I preserve that data and make sure when converting to a combo box, only the new values will appear in the drop down list? The other thing I noticed is that when I created a new field within a table, it does not seem to appear in the field list. Hence when creating a check box I can't seem to point it to the right control source. Any help would be great. Thanks Srm.. Srm, This is a lot of questions for one post, but... I would use an option group. What's your reason for wanting to do some...

Combo Box to List Box
I have a combo box that gets it's values from a table. For example: ID Name 1 Book 2 Magazine 3 Novel I have a list box that displays a list of records. When the user adds the record a want the list box to be updated with the values from my fields including the combo box. The problem is, the value of the combo box (depending on the selection) is 1, 2, or 3 and that is what is displayed in the list box. I know it is an easy problem, but how do I get the list box to display 'Book' instead of 1. The default property .Value of the ComboBox is .Column(0) To refer to any of the other columns use the index (zero based): Something like: Me.TextBox = Me.ComboBox.Columns(1) -- ================================================= Rich Harrington - Prairie State College MIS rharringN.0.$-P.@.m@covad.net http://www.dbko.com ================================================= you're gonna need a bigger boat... -30- "Jeremy R. Harner" <jrh04009@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1d0511ec.0306260607.21695e0e@posting.google.com... > I have a combo box that gets it's values from a table. For example: > > ID Name > 1 Book > 2 Magazine > 3 Novel > > I have a list box that displays a list of records. When the user adds > the record a want the list box to be updated with the values from my > fields including the combo box. The problem is, the value of the > combo box (depe...

Populate a combo box based on a selection in other combo box on same form
Hi all, In a project I am doing at work, we are producing different types of deliverables. Each deliverable has an occurance in tblDeliverable. Each deliverable has one or more versions, which are stored in tblVersion. Each version belongs to exactly one deliverable. We are doing some test work on the deliverables now, and when something is wrong we record an action (tblAction). Each action is done to exactly one deliverable. I have a form to edit the actions (frmAction). In this form I have a cboDeliverable with a lookup to tblDeliverable. This is how we registratie to what deliverable the action applies. When an action is finished, we would like to store the version of the deliverable where to the action was applied. I am trying to this with a cboVersion in the frmAction. I want the cboVersion to be populated with only versions that belong to the selected deliverable in cboDeliverable, but I can't figure out how to do that. Select Version_ID, Deliverable_ID from tblVersion where Deliverable_ID = Me!cboDeliverable When I open the form I get the message: "Enter parameter Value" "Me!cboDeliverable" I hope someone can help me out here... Thanks! Koen. Sounds like you're looking for dependent combo boxes. I've done this before using: combo box 1 with record type table/query and record source: for example, SELECT [code], [description] FROM [codes Query] WHERE parent_code in (select code from [codes query] where parent_code = 0...

Update combo box when another combo box onchange event
Hi I'm just trying to use access for the first time. I have used mysql befor so I know i little about datebases. I have imported some tables into access and i have some querys too. Now I want to use one of the query to update a combobox whem I select an option in anoyher combobox. I can run the query but how do I get the result into the combobox? And how do I update it? If someone will answer Thanks in advance *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** On 24 Mar, 10:00, kalle <ka...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi > > I'm just trying to use access for the first time. I have used mysql > befor so I know i little about datebases. > > I have imported some tables into access and i have some querys too. Now > I want to use one of the query to update a combobox whem I select an > option in anoyher combobox. > > I can run the query but how do I get the result into the combobox? And > how do I update it? > > If someone will answer You need to use the AfterUpdate or the OnChange event of the first combo box, use whatever values you need to construct the SQL, and then set the DataSource of the second combo box. Edward kalle wrote: > > Hi > > I'm just trying to use access for the first time. I have used mysql > befor so I know i little about datebases. > > I have imported some tables into access and i have some querys too. Now > I want to use one of the query to update a combobox whem...

Excluding Previously selected Combo Box record to current Combo Box
I have a form for transfers, which has on it 2 combo boxes, each with the same list of locations in them. I want combo box 2 to include all the locations apart from the one selected in combo box 1. E.g. A user can't transfer something from NY to NY. Can anyone suggest how I do this? Thanks in advance Will, just exclude the value in your combobox (cbo1) from the result set of your query for combobox2. Something like this: (tblRowSource) is whatever your current query is. SELECT .... FROM tblRowSource WHERE ... AND tblRowSource.Field<>Forms!MyForm!cbo1 Let's say you have a table called tblLocations with field fldLocation. Populate it with all your locations. Your form, let's call it yourform, has comboboxes cboFrom and cboTo. Rowsource for cboFrom is "Select fldLocation from tblLocation order by fldLocation". Rowsource for cboTo is "Select fldLocation from tblLocation where fldLocation <> forms!yourform!cboFrom order by fldLocation". In the after update event of cboFrom, type Me!cboTo.Requery. ...

Fill combo/list box based on previous combo box selection?
I am fairly new to database design and am having some difficulty getting my combo boxes to work as I'd like them to. I would like to create a form with two combo boxes; the first one would select �JobNum' from my master job table and the second would select a �Supt' associated with the selected JobNum. My tables are setup like this: -tblEmp: Emp# (PRIMARY KEY), EmpName, etc. -tblSupt: SuptEmp#, Job# -tblInjury: InjuredEmp#, Job#, Supt#, etc. -tblJob: Job# (PRIMARY KEY), JobName, etc. How can I setup my two combo boxes so that: Combo Box 1 selects Job# from the list of Job#'s? I can get this far, but a can't seem to tackle the AfterUpdate event in order to successfully populate the 2nd combo box. And Combo Box 2 selects an associated Supt#, a list populated from the selection in Combo Box 1? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Nick Nick, If I understand you right, you want to select a Job# and have the second combo box update to show Supt#'s for the selected Job#. This is what I would do. This is done using a form. Since you have the Job# combo box working let's look at the Supt# combo. Create the Supt# combo like normal. Then go to the properties of the Supt# combo and go to the data tab. Then goto row source and click the build button. From here you can add the Job# field from your tblSupt to the design grid and set the criteria to the Job# combo box on your form. This will tell t...

Combo box dependent on another combo box, text part is blank
Hi, I have a form with several combo boxes, continuous form format, with record source a query off an Item Table. The fields are Category, Subcategory, and Color. I am displaying descriptions, not ID's, so I have to convert the ID's from various lookup tables. The combo boxes work fine except for subcategory, which is dependent on category. Depending on category, the drop-down box for subcategory will display different items. (for example, when Category is Furniture, Subcategory will display drop-down list of 'Dresser, Nightstand, Desk...". Without clicking on the drop-down box, subcategory will display in its text area the Description of the subcategory ID of the existing record on the table. The drop-down list for Subcategory works fine. However, the text portion is blank for records on the 2nd category. In other words, there are 10 records for the first category, Accessories. Subcategory displays fine for these. But for the 11th record and subsequent records, subcategory is blank (text portion, although drop-down works correctly). If I just display subcategory ID, and not convert to description, it works fine. My SQL statement for subcategory is: "SELECT ItemSubcatID, ItemSubcatDesc FROM tlkpItemSubcategory WHERE (((ItemCategoryID)=[Forms]![frmItems]![cboItemCategory])) ORDER BY ItemSubcatDesc;" Column count is 2, column width is 0, 2. Bound column is 1. I think the problem lies around here. When I have column width = "1,1&...

Changing combo box list based on another combo box selection
I have a continuous form that has one combo box (cbo1) with the selectable values of "Removal" and "Installation". I would like to change another combo box (cbo2) value list based on the selection in cbo1. For example, when the user selects "Removal" from cbo1 I would like the value list of cbo2 to be one set of values and when "Installation" is selected in cbo1 I would like the value list of cbo2 to be a different set of values. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. Troy Lee troy_lee@comcast.net wrote: > I have a continuous form that has one combo box (cbo1) with the > selectable values of "Removal" and "Installation". I would like to > change another combo box (cbo2) value list based on the selection in > cbo1. > > For example, when the user selects "Removal" from cbo1 I would like > the value list of cbo2 to be one set of values and when "Installation" > is selected in cbo1 I would like the value list of cbo2 to be a > different set of values. > > Is this possible? > > Thanks in advance. > > Troy Lee Sometimes cbo2's rowsoure might be "Select fld from table where id = " & cbo1 In this case, in the AfterUpdate event of cbo1 you'd enter Me.cbo2.Requery You might have to change the rowsource in other cases If me.cbo1 = "Install" then Me.cbo2.rowsource = "Select fld from table1" Else Me.cbo2.row...

LIst box to combobx edit box
hi, i am new to mfc.i have one doubt. i have one combobox ,one edit box.the combobox data and listbox data are added to list box.If i click the added data of listbox,it should select combobox data,edit box.something like combobox has black,blue green data.in edit box i have entered 5.from combobox i selected black.in list box it appears black colour,number 5 added.if i double click the list box text,blak in combobox,and 5 in edit box should appear. thanks in advance ...

LIst box to combobx edit box
hi, i am new to mfc.i have one doubt. i have one combobox ,one edit box.the combobox data and listbox data are added to list box.If i click the added data of listbox,it should select combobox data,edit box.something like combobox has black,blue green data.in edit box i have entered 5.from combobox i selected black.in list box it appears black colour,number 5 added.if i double click the list box text,blak in combobox,and 5 in edit box should appear. thanks in advance ...

value in list box or combo box
i would like to use combobox or list box in a form for data entry do i have to have a table with value in it and the combobox or list box should look in to that table or i type in the values. 'cause when i create a form with text box and change it to combobox the box is empty there are no records in it . On Apr 12, 10:29 am, "access baby" <nishkr...@gmail.com> wrote: > i would like to use combobox or list box in a form for data entry do i > have to have a table with value in it and the combobox or list box > should look in to that table or i type in the values. 'cause when i > create a form with text box and change it to combobox the box is empty > there are no records in it . It's best to create the combobox seperately, as when you create it, a wizard will appear giving you options. When you change a textbox to a combobox these options that are usually inputted in the wizard, are unknown and thus it doesn't work. Try creating a combobox from the toolbox and read all the options carefully, and it will also ask you what record source to pull from. On Apr 12, 10:29 am, "access baby" <nishkr...@gmail.com> wrote: > i would like to use combobox or list box in a form for data entry do i > have to have a table with value in it and the combobox or list box > should look in to that table or i type in the values. 'cause when i > create a form with text box and change it to combobox the box is empty &...

Text box linked to combo box
Good day, I am new to Access and need a question answered please. I have a form based on a table (tblQualityEmployees), for some of the fields it looks up a value in another table (tblGroups). The tblQualityEmployees consists of the following: EmployeeID FirstName LastName Group1 Group2 Group3 Group4 Group5 The tblGroups consists of the following: GroupID Groups Description What i want to do is, in the form have text box that displays the Group description next to each group. I tried making the "Control Source" field Group1 combo. This brings in the relevant ID number which is fine, but i want to see the discription which is in field 3 and not field 1. Is this possible or must i also have the description in the first table ? Les wrote: > Good day, > > I am new to Access and need a question answered please. > > I have a form based on a table (tblQualityEmployees), for some of the > fields it looks up a value in another table (tblGroups). > > The tblQualityEmployees consists of the following: > > EmployeeID FirstName LastName Group1 Group2 Group3 Group4 Group5 > > The tblGroups consists of the following: > > GroupID Groups Description > > What i want to do is, in the form have text box that displays the > Group description next to each group. I tried making the "Control > Source" field Group1 combo. This brings in the relevant ID number > which is fine, but i want to see the discri...

Setting the size of column widths of a combo box through Code and Searching Combo Box
I have a combo box on a form which is based on table tblMachine. On that combo box I have four columns visible MachineNumber, description, location and type. The bound column is the MachineNumber and this is not set to 0 as the machines have its number on which means the user should know the machine number. My problem is if the user doesn't know the number. I have a button which changes the row source of the combo box to order by description, but when the user starts to type the description the relevant record does not come up as machine number is still visible. Is it possible, when I change the row source to also make the first column width 0 through code? I also want to enable the user to search the combo box leaving the drop down filled with the search results. I also have an unbound textbox for the user to enter their search terms, but I am not sure of the next step Thanks in advance Will I did a similar sort of thing with 4 options. Code is here. mnake of it what you will. Incidently I would strongly recomend using a MachineID (Autonumber) as the key to your table rather than the MachineNumber I know its a pigs ear, but the bound column is always the last one, and the titles and column widths change according to the selection option TypeOfSearch selected Function NewTypeOfSearch() ' Changes the search box Dim SQLStg As String, SQLStg1 As String On Error GoTo NewSearch_Type_Err With CodeContextObject !BySearchType.Row...

Using a Message Box with a Combo Box
Hello everyone- I have a combo box, and I want to know if it is possible to have some sort of Message Box pop-up if a certain value is selected in the combo box. For example, I have a combo box with the values: "Yes," "No," and "Other." These selections are based on a simple table (see below). Table ID = number & primary key Description = text 1 = Yes 2 = No 3 = Other If someone selects "Other" in the combo box, then I'd like a Message Box to pop-up, instructing the user that he or she has to enter text into the text box next to the combo box. Thanks, Megan On 20 Dec 2004 12:17:31 -0800, meganrobertson22@hotmail.com wrote: > Hello everyone- > > I have a combo box, and I want to know if it is possible to have some > sort of Message Box pop-up if a certain value is selected in the combo > box. > > For example, I have a combo box with the values: "Yes," "No," and > "Other." These selections are based on a simple table (see below). > > Table > ID = number & primary key > Description = text > 1 = Yes > 2 = No > 3 = Other > > If someone selects "Other" in the combo box, then I'd like a > Message Box to pop-up, instructing the user that he or she has to enter > text into the text box next to the combo box. > > Thanks, > > Megan Code the Combo Box AfterUpdate event: If Me!ComboName = "Other" the...

Combo box fills text box
Hello again, I have a form that fills a text box with data according to the selection in the combo box. Two questions please: 1) The combo box does not have a control source so when opening the form, the combo box is empty but the text box already contains the first record. What do I need to do to either have both the combo box and text box empty on open or have both contain the first record on open. (If it takes VBA code, please point me in the right direction as I have not worked with it since '99). 2) I'm getting a runtime error 3077 on one of the records. I checked it to see if there were any funny characters within the fields but didn't see any. What else should I be looking for when encountering this error. Thank you, Cindi 1) check the default value setting in the combos properties. 2) I can't find the error. You might try the msdn knowledge base. what does the error say besides 3077. Can you check to make sure that record exists? Are you typing them in? Is the combo limit to list? "misscrf" <misscrf@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1106846055.498756.90140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > 1) check the default value setting in the combos properties. > > 2) I can't find the error. You might try the msdn knowledge base. > what does the error say besides 3077. Can you check to make sure that > record exists? Are you typing them in? Is the combo limit to list? > Thanks. I set the default value to...

Datasheet View: Second Combo Box Criteria Based on First Combo Box Value
Hello, I need a query that will determine the values in a dropdown box (Module), based on the value chosen in another dropdown box (Dir). SELECT Modules.Module FROM Modules WHERE Modules.Directory=Dir.Value; Tried: Dir [Dir] [Dir].Value Me.Dir Me.Dir.ListBox etc. I'm sure others must have successfully accomplished this. Many thanks if you can help me!!! Otherwise, I'm giving up. Rosalie Tackett ...

Adding Combo Box Text To A Text Box
I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any help is appreciated. This will do it: Private Sub ComboBox_AfterUpdate() If IsNull(Me.Textbox) Then Me.Textbox = ComboBox Else Me.Textbox = Me.Textbox & vbNewLine & ComboBox End If End Sub Wayne wrote: >I have a combo box and a text box on a form. When I choose a value >from the combo box, I want it to be added to the textbox. I'm able to >do this by using the following code when I click the combo box: > >Me!Textbox = Me!TextBox & Me!ComboBox > >I now need the additional combo box items to be added on a new line in >the text box each time I click the combo box. I've tried using >Sendkeys "^{Enter} but I'm not achieving the desired result. > >I know this is probably very simple, but I'm just not seeing it. Any >help is appreciated. -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http:/...

how switch off an edit box in gui if box is not empty
HI I'm trying to make a edit box invisible by using set(handles.freq_low,'Visible','off') when i switch to a nother functionality, but matlab complains based on the fact the edit box isn't empty. how can i get matlab to discard the fact that the box isn't empty ??? rgds icecube icecube: <SNIP unexpected behavior... > set(handles.freq_low,'Visible','off') > when i switch to a nother functionality, but matlab complains based on the fact the edit box isn't empty... this works fine... uh=uicontrol(... 'position&#...

Update Combo Box from a Text Box Help
I am trying to make a combo box dependent on a text box. I cannot get the combo box to pull the related data from the text box. I have been all over this user group & have tried several versions of code to no avail. I would like to display all contact names (in the combo box) related to the customer number in the text box. Here's what I have: Table: TOrdAck Fields: OACustID, OAContact Table: TCust Fields: CustID, CompanyID, CompanyName Note: The OACustID and the CustID establishes the relationship between the two tables. Query: QCust Fields: TOrdAck. OACustID, TOrdAck.OAContact, TCust.CustID, TCust.CompanyID Form name: FOACust Record Source: QCust Textbox Name: CustID Control Source: OACustID Control Box Name: Combo78 Row Source Type: Table/Query Row Source: <empty> In the After Update event in my textbox CustID, I have the following code: ******************* Private Sub CustID_AfterUpdate() Dim strSQL As String strSQL = "Select " & Me!CustID strSQL = strSQL & " from TOrdAck" Me!Combo78.RowSourceType = "Table/Query" Me!Combo78.RowSource = strSQL Me!Combo78.Requery End Sub ******************** I would like to have the combo box display any OAContacts that match the CustID. All I get is a blank combo box even if there are multiple contact names that match the CustID. I have also tried the following code, but get the same result: ******************** Private Sub CustID_AfterUpdate() Me...

Unwanted transparent list boxes and edit boxes
I have a GUI in which I create several (~15) list boxes for selecting items from a database. I loop through some code to create the list boxes. For some reason on some computers the first list box (and only the first one) shows up transparent below the text. i.e. If there are only three items in the string of options, below the three items is transparent and I can see the text from below the figure (like the text from the Matlab Editor window directly underneath it for instance). I also have a couple edit boxes that are defined in the GUIDE created fig file that do a similar thing, alt...

Web resources about - Edit box/ Combo box in RPG - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

The Big Combo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Police Lt. Leonard Diamond is on a personal crusade to bring down sadistic gangster Mr. Brown. He's also dangerously obsessed with Brown's girlfriend, ...

Facebook Analytics Combo: EdgeRank Checker Teams Up With Socialbakers
Two major providers of Facebook analytics have joined forces, as EdgeRank Checker announced Monday that it is teaming up with Socialbakers , ...

Sports + New Year’s Day a perfect combo
Happy new year! While millions of people across the globe celebrated New Year’s Eve on the town, January 1 presented the perfect opportunity ...

A Battle of Maxim Crime Gangs: Skout City Combo on the App Store on iTunes
Get A Battle of Maxim Crime Gangs: Skout City Combo on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Coronary Combo - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

CEOs Talk Skylanders Swap Force PS4/Xbox One vs Wii, Gender, Combos, Reposed Giants, Adventure Packs ...
Skylanders Swap Force Studio Heads Guha & Karthik Bala talk us through the details of the different characters available at E3. Starstrike, Fryno, ...

Internode offers $99 combo plans
Internode has launched three $99 combo plans that bundle four services including broadband, IPTV, mobile voice and a traditional telephone line. ...

Canberra finals hopes depend on life without 'perfect' halves combo, says Billy Moore
Billy Moore believes Canberra's finals hopes rest on how they fare without their &quot;perfect&quot; halves duo&nbsp;Sam Williams and Blake Austin, ...

Pegan diet: paleo-vegan combo the secret to weight loss?
FROM ligers to the Prius, one thing&#8217;s clear: Hybrids can be a beautiful thing. That&#8217;s the idea behind the pegan diet, a mix of the ...

Tyro Wallabies halves combo gets nod for French Test series opener
Nic White and Bernard Foley have spent just six minutes on the field together in a Test match after struggling to be seen behind much bigger ...