Ftp from as400 to PC

Hello,

I have packed value in a file in the AS400 and I need to send my file from
as400 to PC
and I need to send my file from pc to AS400 with FTP
but I have a problem with packed caracteres

please could you help

Best regards

Dave

0
topspam (14)
9/22/2005 5:20:05 PM
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

try to use "bin" it is - "Representation type is binary"

after you sign on, type
bin

Gary

0
segalgary (45)
9/22/2005 5:46:11 PM
it's not ok :(

"Gary Segal" <segalgary@hotmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1127411171.724353.279550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> try to use "bin" it is - "Representation type is binary"
>
> after you sign on, type
> bin
>
> Gary

0
topspam (14)
9/22/2005 5:53:22 PM
Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have packed value in a file in the AS400 and I need to send my file from
> as400 to PC
> and I need to send my file from pc to AS400 with FTP
> but I have a problem with packed caracteres
>
> please could you help
>
> Best regards
>
> Dave

Whether you get them to your PC in ASCII or EBCDIC, the PC won't know
what to do with the packed fields.

You probably should do a CPYTOIMPF on the AS400 side first and produce
a comma delimted file with numeric fields 'converted' from packed to
'unpacked'.

Scott

0
sclind (49)
9/22/2005 6:44:22 PM
Hello,

just one question :
what for do you need your file on PC ? is it to send it via email? to
display it ? to copy it in another database on PC ?

sometimes i need to transfer files from one system to another, then i
use FTP to get a SAVF on my pc then i can send it to the other system,
but it only works with a SAVF, otherwise i think the conversion from
EBCDIC to ASCII may cause the problem you have.

If you need to have the datas on your pc and if the file isn't too big,
maybe you could get it directly in excel...

Seb

OK, Dave, you're not entirely clear here.
Do you need to send 'myfile' from one AS/400 to another and use your PC
as intermediate node,
or do you need to get a file from an AS/400 to your PC and send another
file from your PC to the AS/400?

My impression is the former, which raises the question why you need to
use your PC in between.
For AS/400 to AS/400 there are numerous scenario's. Just save it to a
save file and FTP the save file to the other system, doesn't matter if
you go through your PC or not, it's a binary transfer. Restore on the
other box and that's that.

AS/400 to PC can be tricky with packed numeric fields, as you found out.
Use Client Access data transfer (from Excel or otherwise), or do a
CPYTOIMPF where your destination is a (temporary?) directory in the IFS.
Make sure to specify *PCASCII as the to-codepage. Then either use
Windows explorer to pick it up if your IFS directory is a NetServer
share, or use FTP to pick it up from that directory (namefmt 1).

PC to AS/400 should never be a problem with packed fields, as the PC
doesn't know that format. If your destination file _does_ have packed
fields and you have its DDS source, copy the source and modify it to
have zoned fields. FTP your PC file into the temporary file and copy it
to the destination using (*map *drop). OS/400 will take care of
zoned-to-packed copy. You can also upload using Client Access, but that
tends to be a little tricky with data formats and/or transfer definition
files.

--

"Dave" <topspam@topspam.us> schreef in bericht
> Hello,
>
> I have packed value in a file in the AS400 and I need to send my file
from
> as400 to PC
> and I need to send my file from pc to AS400 with FTP
> but I have a problem with packed caracteres
>
> please could you help
>
> Best regards
>
> Dave

0
sorry4704 (378)
9/23/2005 4:09:19 PM
really i need to transfert my file from as400 ---> PC and after From PC --->
Mainfrance 3270

"Seb" <boron_sebastien@netcourrier.Com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1127464240.689268.44040@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello,
>
> just one question :
> what for do you need your file on PC ? is it to send it via email? to
> display it ? to copy it in another database on PC ?
>
> sometimes i need to transfer files from one system to another, then i
> use FTP to get a SAVF on my pc then i can send it to the other system,
> but it only works with a SAVF, otherwise i think the conversion from
> EBCDIC to ASCII may cause the problem you have.
>
> If you need to have the datas on your pc and if the file isn't too big,
> maybe you could get it directly in excel...
>
> Seb

0
topspam (14)
9/23/2005 11:15:46 PM
If you just want the packed fields to be visible on the PC and other systems
you send it to, then you may want to try iSeries Access Data Transfer.  In
addition to the transferred data file itself, that creates a "file
description file" (.fdf) which tells the transfer what the iSeries file
looks like (which fields are packed, etc.), and what you want it to look
like on the PC (a text file, or a .csv file, etc.), and then "unpacks" it on
the PC.  If you transfer the other way (from PC back to 400) it will look at
the .fdf to figure out how to "re-pack" the fields so they will load
properly back to the 400.  You have to transfer from the 400 first in order
to create the .fdf file.  Otherwise, if you transfer from the PC to the 400
without first having the .fdf file built, then the utility doesn't know what
the file looks like on the 400 (which fields are packed, numeric, alpha,
etc.).

It's a little hard to figure out the screens the first time you use it, but
after you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.  You can even save your
requests as "icons" on your PC so you don't have to go through the whole
"defining" process every time you run it.