Help with a Printing Problem - Ithaca Series 150 printer

First - a disclaimer.  It's been a couple years since I've done any
AS400 work and I'm trying to help a friend with one of those sticky
problems with a new printer.

Here's the particulars:
OS V5R2
printer Ithaca Series 150 (connected on COM1 through a PC of course)
PC - Win2000
using  a generic text only driver.

The AS400 software is a program called RECAP provided through a vendor
(Minnesota) who seems to have some support issues - like they don't
know what they're doing and they want to charge for that.

The printer type is set to *SCS (SNA printing) which doesn't seem
right to me.  Apparently this is supposed to be doing HPT.

When a print job is generated on the RECAP program and then displayed
through the outQ, it looks sorta OK.  But if the print job is sent to
the Ithaca printer it comes out jibberish.

The Ithaca test prints OK and a straight ASCII dump from the PC comes
out just fine, so I know it's an AS400 setup issue but I have no other
suggestions for them.

As I said, it's been a while since I've been in the IS Dept. and I've
killed a few brain cells since then so I apologize.  Thanks for any
hints you might have...
Regards,

comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9198 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Help with Hp printer 5610 series problem.
I recently bought and hp printer all in one series. I inserted the disk and ran the installation program but even the welcome screen to the installation disk was in Spanish. I installed it anyway so that I can use the printer. I contacted hp support and they told me to go to start -control panel-regional and language options- and to make sure that under the Regional Options tab standard and formats were set to English United States and that location should also be in United States. I tried but it made no difference. They told me to contact the computer manufacture. I messed with this window and under the advanced tab I found that under Language for non- Unicode programs my computer was set to Spanish. I changed it and made a little difference where the welcome screen was now in English but when I hit install during the installing process it becomes Spanish and installs everything in Spanish. I know there must be some setting somewhere that is causing this but I have no idea where. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

yahoo.com.au mail problems problems problems
Hello, in the last month I encountered big problems to read mail from yahoo.com.au server. There is no chance to connect to e-mail /www based server. Having logged to www.yahoo.com.au mail window doesn't open waiting for an image from au.adserver.yahoo.com server is that server dead, making reading mail completely impossible ? Ping says, that server is unreachable. What can I do to make things better as in previous months ? Ple ...

HELP: Can printer switch box cause printers to print garbage?
Hey folks, I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!! Why didn't you try replacing the switch? That is the only thing in common with all of these failures. Jim "Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:447f7d3e.0402111554.16d04cbc@posting.google.com... > Hey folks, > I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch > box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to > print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then > print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage > characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same > thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So > i had hi...

Help.. Problems with printers
hello there. i want to create a printer object at run time, set its paper size, and orientation and then after i have used it, it will be deleted. the problem is i do not know what to do. i tried dim prntr as printer but it was no use. i also tried changing the properties of the default printer (e.g. the size and the orientation) but when i open the data report, the settings were wtill those of the default printer. they were never altered. tnx i hope anyone might be of help Lilianne, Here's an example on how to use the Printer object. Dim prnt As Printer ...

HELP!!! Printing problems
Hi people, I just got my iMac and I am very satisfied but there is a problem. I have a program business card composer for making business cards and that program is made for OSX. I made my business cards and when I wanted to print them I realized that I do not have access to printer preferences. I have Aculaser 1900 by Epson. I would like to choose "thick paper" option otherwise the printer jams. Could somebody help me on how to get into printer options like I could do on a PC and use all the possibilities of the printer. Thanks a lot Mark * posted via http://www.my...

CUPS problem? or network problem? or printer problem?
Trying to configure CUPS to print to an HP LaserJet 5si over the network. Here is the relevant error_log stuff: I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Job 14 queued on 'ptr' by 'wm'. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/texttops (PID 12120) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 1 2121) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (P ID 12122) for job 14. I [17/Nov/2003:14:19:03 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprint er (PID 1...

Puzzling printing problem
Background: SCO 5.0.7, 2 identical servers. 6 HP laserjet network printers. A few months ago, the main server seemed to be having various problems - (SSH wouldn't work, couldn't install any patches with Software Manager, etc.). Admin decided to restore the root filesystem from the second server (where there were no apparent problems) and then re-name the server, change IP, re-license SCO, etc. This seemed to work swimmingly. They could then install patches, got SSH working, etc. Problem: However, a new problem cropped up. For one of the printers (an HP laserjet 9000), whenever 2 or mo...

Printing problem in Win ME -- help!
I have an old DOS program that has run well in all versions of Windows since DOS 6. This week for an unknown reason it won't use the printer. Nothing has been changed in Win ME, the DOS program or the printer. No error messages appear and no message window appears. It simply ignores the print command. Other programs use ythe printer as always. Any ideas?? Thanks. ...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

**PLEASE HELP** Printer Problem
Please help this technically inept person I have a Brother MFC 7160 Multifunction Centre. When I print th first document after I have turned the computer on, I get a line o garbage printed on the top of the page and then the last line of th first page prints on a second page. The second page and an subsequent pages and documents print correctly What is causing the problem and is there anything that I can do t stop it from reoccuring Please help "tech_queen" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message news:WBI5f.200019$sp2.168458@fe03.news.easynews.com... > Please help this technically inept person! > > I have a Brother MFC 7160 Multifunction Centre. When I print the > first document after I have turned the computer on, I get a line of > garbage printed on the top of the page and then the last line of the > first page prints on a second page. The second page and any > subsequent pages and documents print correctly. > > What is causing the problem and is there anything that I can do to > stop it from reoccuring? 1. Has the printer always done this? If not, what changes were made to the system in between correct printing and what you report? 2. Are you using the right driver for your Operating System? You may find an updated driver at www.brother.com -- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrotenews:%2X5f.426...

Printer problem please help
I need to add a printer on AIX 4.3.3, it is a Generic Ascii network printer, with a device like /dev/prt1. It is an IBM 4232 printer, but no device driver, Can anybody help on this. Thanks Chris rkrishp@hotmail.com (Krishna) wrote in message news:<2bcd6fe2.0312170657.52590552@posting.google.com>... > I need to add a printer on AIX 4.3.3, it is a Generic Ascii network > printer, with a device like /dev/prt1. It is an IBM 4232 printer, but > no device driver, > > Can anybody help on this. > > Thanks > > Chris the 4224 and 4226 are on the install media and ...

Printer Problem, I need Help
Network Description: Old AS/400 connected via twinax to Twinax splitter block, from Block 4 patch cables run to 2 Powerstar IV's ( transition Networks). and from there run to 15 printers. Problem: Client has purchased a new AS/400 server, and wishes to have both online at the same time. This we have done, BUT they wish to be able to print to any Printer from Either Unit. My background is in PC networking, I have little knowledge of the AS/400. 1) is there a Print Switch that i can put between the two serrvers and the twinax block? 2) can I print from the new server to the old one via the network and have the old server feed to the printers? 3) is there a different possible option I have not considered? Thanks in advance for you input. Steve Answer to question nr 2: Yes, create a remote Outq in the new AS/400 for every outq in the old box you would like to feed prints thru. Example: CRTOUTQ OUTQ(QUSRSYS/NEWOUTQ) RMTSYS(*INTNETADR) RMTPRTQ(OLDOUTQ) AUTOSTRWTR(1) CNNTYPE(*IP) TRANSFORM(*NO) INTNETADR('Put Old Box IP here') SEPPAGE(*NO) -- Bengt "Steve Hamilton" <doljeovdje@guildhouse.org> skrev i meddelandet news:88pplv8b2qnuqercaatr5lcaeg4lovfef7@4ax.com... > Network Description: > > Old AS/400 connected via twinax to Twinax splitter block, from > Block 4 patch cables run to 2 Powerstar IV's ( transition Networks). > and from there run to 15 printers. > > Problem: > > Client has purchased a new ...

Help! Uniface Printing problem
We have a critical form that suddenly stopped working. We are running Uniface V7.04 with an ALPHA running OpenVMS V7.2-1 as the server. The program runs in batch on the ALPHA. This is the code: PRINT $$PRINTER_NAME,$$PRINTER_TYPE PUTMESS "$STATUS = %%$STATUS $RESULT=%%$RESULT $ERROR=%%$ERROR $PROCERR=%%$PROCERROR" $$PRINTER_NAME is a record in PRATT and $PRINTER_TYPE is "C". The result of the PUTMESS is: $STATUS = 2003 $RESULT=eawrfrm.prt $ERROR=0000 $PROCERR=0 EAWRFRM.PRT never gets created and I cannot find documentation that describes why $STATU...

IBM 4247 printing problem
Hi all again We have a IBM4247-003 IPDS enabled printer with a LAN-card and I am having problems to get it to work on Monday mornings 8-) Our AS400 machine performs an IPL during the weekend and after that the printer won'n print anything. Only solution is to turn off power on the printer and vary off/on the printer. Another thing that is of interest is that the built-in web-server also don't work unless U restart the printer !! So, the problem seem to be with the network card...and not with AS...? But, after restart that the printer works well all week....!! Any tweaks for the NIC??? In qsysopr's messagequeue I find this: - Connection with device VP03L is being retried. And this is what the system says when I check info: Cause . . . . . : A session cannot be established with the device at RMTLOCNAME 10.10.10.8, using PORT 5001. The error code is 15. This indicates one of the following conditions: 15: The activation timer (ACTTMR) value configured for the device expired before the device was available. ------------------------------�------------------------------�------------ I checked the activation timer setting and it is: 2550 We also have a PSFCFG for this printer, it looks like this: User resource library . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *JOBLIBL IPDS pass through . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NO Activate release timer . . . . . . . . . . . . . : *NORDYF Release timer . . . . . . . . . . . ...

Problem with printer and print-server
Hi, sorry for my bad english, I wish that someone can help me. I have a printer (Compuprinter 9060) with print-server (d-link DP-301P +) . On As400 I create a OUTQ CRTOUTQ OUTQ(QUSRSYS/PRTPROG2) RMTSYS(*INTNETADR) + RMTPRTQ(LPT1_TEXT) AUTOSTRWTR(1) + CNNTYPE(*IP) + DESTTYPE(*OTHER) TRANSFORM(*NO) + USRDTATFM(QGPL/TSPRWPR) + MFRTYPMDL(*IBM42081) + INTNETADR('10.10.3.74') DESTOPT('XAUT0Q + XAIX') TEXT('Outq') The print is OK, but at the end of the spool, the printer leaves a white page It is possible that MFRTYPMDL(*IBM42081) isn't good for Compuprinter 9060, but I don't know what I can use. Anyone every experiance this? Thanks Patrizia On Mar 29, 5:45=A0am, pattypo...@libero.it wrote: > Hi, > sorry for my bad english, I wish that someone can help me. > I have a printer (Compuprinter 9060) with print-server (d-link DP-301P > +) . > On As400 I create a OUTQ > > CRTOUTQ =A0 =A0OUTQ(QUSRSYS/PRTPROG2) RMTSYS(*INTNETADR) + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0RMTPRTQ(LPT1_TEXT) AUTOSTRWTR(1) + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0CNNTYPE(*IP) + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0DESTTYPE(*OTHER) TRANSFORM(*NO) + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0USRDTATFM(QGPL/TSPRWPR) + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0MFRTYPMDL(*IBM42081) + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0INTNETADR('10.10.3.74') DESTOPT('XAUT0Q + > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0X...

Problem with printing on POS printer
Please help me, i can print only 20 lines to STAR SP212 POS printer on COM1, then i have error posting "error to write on device". I am using Clarion for DOS 3.0 and Windows 98 operating system. Thank you. "Josip Dvorski" <josip.dvorski@vz.htnet.hr> wrote in message news:<br7rtk$qko$1@ls219.htnet.hr>... > Please help me, i can print only 20 lines to STAR SP212 POS printer on COM1, > then i have error posting "error to write on device". > > I am using Clarion for DOS 3.0 and Windows 98 operating system. > > Thank you. perhaps the speed is to high? try to decrease the speed to 2400 bauds I'm not a Clarion expert; but it sounds like to me a flow control issue. 20 lines seems to be the amount of data the printer's buffer can hold; anything after that it lost. Test this by sending 1 line or any other small data packet. Bet that will always work. Then send that same packet multiple times, gradually increasing the iterations. Bet you will find that you will hit a limit when the printer will drop data. If so, then you have a flow control issue. This can often be the actual cable used to drive the printer. Some printers require not only software handshaking (Xon/Xoff) but also hardware handshaking (usually pin 20, and involves DCD etc). Another test, get yourself a good serial break-out box with LEDs to show the status of all 25 serial pins. Introduce that into cable between the cable & the printer. Sen...

print problem on a network printer
We have recently changed the IP address of one of the network printers (DNS). I can send the printing jobs to the printer. It sits there queued and not printing. How do I troubleshoot? Joe Philip wrote: > We have recently changed the IP address of one of the network printers > (DNS). I can send the printing jobs to the printer. It sits there queued and > not printing. How do I troubleshoot? > > > Can you telnet to the printer and see if it thinks it is the same IP address as your DNS does? When I telnet to the printer with the "printer name", I get the un...

AS400 printer - HPLJ2600N
Hi, A site in Poland has just replaced their old HP laserjet with an HP Laserjet 2600N - since doing this, nothing will print, it just sits in the OUTQ. I've stopped and started the writer, made sure the IP address is correct, and even set up a new OUTQ for the printer. They're using a remote outq (not a print device). I've set up another outq which uses the colour HP Laserjet 5500 in my office to see if it was the customising object, and it worked fine. I've tried changing the workstation customising object to be QWPHPCOLOR in library QSYS but it didn't help. Please help! Thanks, Hazel wrighth@frenchconnection.com wrote: > Hi, > > A site in Poland has just replaced their old HP laserjet with an HP > Laserjet 2600N - since doing this, nothing will print, it just sits in > the OUTQ. I've stopped and started the writer, made sure the IP address > is correct, and even set up a new OUTQ for the printer. > > They're using a remote outq (not a print device). I've set up another > outq which uses the colour HP Laserjet 5500 in my office to see if it > was the customising object, and it worked fine. > > I've tried changing the workstation customising object to be QWPHPCOLOR > in library QSYS but it didn't help. > > Please help! > > Thanks, > > Hazel Even though this color laser printer is advertised as "network-ready", it is really a host-based printer that does not su...

Problems printing email to a Lexmark printer
Hi I've done a Google search for this problem and haven't found anything useful. A co-worker of mine has been having trouble printing to a Lexmark printer from Eudora. It's only Eudora that is giving her problems, printing anything else works fine. Basically, the margins seem to be off, as it cuts off the left side of the email. For example, an email that says: Dear Dave Can you please send me the O'Connor file? Will print out as: ear Dave an you please send me the O'Connor file?" I've looked throughout the Eudora settings...

Printing from an AS400 to a Windows or Unix printer
Is it possible to get an as400 (v4r5) to use a printer connected to a windows box sharing its printer or a unix box accepting network printer connections? If so, are there any good docs or links that discuss some of the options? Thanks. Hi, Check out Brooks Internet Software, www.brooksnet.com for some very good yet reasonable LPR/LPD products supporting AS/400. Larry T. The Praetorian <mlutgen@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to get an as400 (v4r5) to use a printer connected to a > windows box sharing its printer or a unix box accepting network printer > connections? Yes. Remote output queues send out print jobs as lpr/lpd jobs. You need to have the AS/400 configured to send to the right lpd queue, and the remote system must accept lpd jobs from the AS/400. I gather that CRTDEVPRT is better than remote output queues, but haven't had a version of OS/400 that provided it to try. If the remote system is Windows XP Pro, you can load the "Print Services For Unix" package to give it a (weak) lpd server. This is likely to have a high suckage factor. I've used FreeBSD with very good results. > If so, are there any good docs or links that discuss some > of the options? Thanks. I've posted a few AS/400 remote output queue definitions here over the last few years. Do a groups.google.com search on my email address and "AS400". -- Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA ...

Print to network printer help needed
Hi, I bet I know the answer to this is going to involve DAVE or Tiger :-( , but here goes: I bought a USRobotics 5461 router that has a USB printer port on it. I hung my Canon S530D printer off that port, and successfully configured a WinXP box to print to the designated IP address, using the S530D driver. However, I can't do that from OS X. The router doesn't support Rendezvous so far as I can tell, and if I try to configure using the IP-printer config option (under Printer Setup), not only do I have trouble resolving the IP address but my only driver option is a Gimp-CUPS ...

printer problems: search yeilds no help
Hi, all. I have an Epson Stylus 777 in-line with an HP 3500 scanner on Win ME. Both have been running fine for years. Recently, [with no new hardware or drivers etc. installed] I started getting this message - most commonly when printing in color: "Error writing to LPT1 for the printer[Epson..]. The system cannot write to the specified device." It does this ONLY partially way through the print; it never says this BEFORE it starts printing. This is what I have done: Changed EMF to RAW and back. Reinstalled drivers to both devices and also installed the most recent drive...

Quark Printing Problem to HP Printers
Here's an interesting one. I've got a client who can't print any Quark document that contains an image to her HP 2200 Printer. The system: eMac running Mac OS 9.2.2 Quark 4.11 HP 2200 connected via USB I've created new Quark documents and tried placing many different images in them, and the same thing happens every time. The HP starts spitting out pages with garbage characters on them. If I remove all images from the documents, the documents will print just fine on the HP. I haven't tried it myself, but the client claims the same thing happens when she tries to print to an old HP LaserJet 4M connected to a old G3 via PhoneNet. Anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas on a solution? TIA! Ken -- ----------------------------------------------------------------- Kenneth Kirksey Information Technology Manager Singing News Publishing Kenneth Kirksey <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > Here's an interesting one. I've got a client who can't print any Quark > document that contains an image to her HP 2200 Printer. The system: > > eMac running Mac OS 9.2.2 > Quark 4.11 > HP 2200 connected via USB > > I've created new Quark documents and tried placing many different images > in them, and the same thing happens every time. The HP starts spitting > out pages with garbage char...

problem with setting the ibm 6400 printer
I have a ibm 6400 printer. Can somebody help me with an idea how can i set up the printer to print from as400. The printer is set as ethernet ascii printer with an ip 10.0.101.253. We have leased line to an as400 platform. As400 is not in our netowrk. I recall a customer a few years back using a leased line and LPR (Remote output queue) to send spooled files to a LAN attached printer. The problem was when someone would shut off the printer at the remote site, the remote writer automatically retries sending (indefinitely). This kept the leased line open, thus the cost of operation was rather high. If you have the latest microcode updated, you should have the ability to use an SNMP printer driver configuration. If you have the PRTERRMSG parameter on the device description set to *YES, you should get an inquiry message for conditions where action is required at the printer. I believe for MOST cases (some conditions the writer logic can automatically detect the problem has been resolved...), the writer would go to MSGW instead of keeping your leased line open when a problem occurs. A third option would be to go IPDS route...but that means an IPDS feature for the printer and PSF/400 (i.e. $$$$). Sonyan wrote: > I have a ibm 6400 printer. Can somebody help me with an idea how can i > set up the printer to print from as400. > The printer is set as ethernet ascii printer with an ip 10.0.101.253. > We have leased line to an as400 platform. As400 is not ...

Web resources about - Help with a Printing Problem - Ithaca Series 150 printer - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing box in this matching game
... path in Linken, an elegant puzzler or Meteors are falling, dont get squished in Danger Dodgers . Mr Plumbum Help Mr Plumbum sort his printing ...

Make your own 'Ghostbusters' trap via 3D printing
When ghosts go bump in the night, will you have the right equipment to bust them? Make this replica ghost trap from the original "Ghostbusters" ...

Europe To Use 3D Printing To Build Permanent Moon Base By 2030
Europe To Use 3D Printing To Build Permanent Moon Base By 2030

Tokyo students develop architectural 3D-printing pen
A group of University of Tokyo students overseen by architect Kengo Kuma have developed a 3D-printing pen that can be used to create complex ...

Barclays' 'MakerSpaces' offer 3D printing to local businesses
The worlds of banking and technology intersect at many points, but you'd hardly consider 3D printing a shared interest. In Barclays' "MakerSpaces," ...

3D Printing Your Own Braces Works, Is a Terrible Idea
At the age of nine, I became the first kid in my elementary school class to get braces. They did their job, but by the time I left college, I’d ...

Join Us at the Greatest 3D Printing Festival on Planet Earth
Winter is hanging on like clinical depression, which means it’s that time again for the greatest 3D-printing festival on the planet Earth. It’s ...

3-D Printing: Gigi The Macaw Gets First-Ever Titanium Prosthetic Beak (PHOTOS)
Gigi the macaw is the first-ever recipient of the world's first 3-D-printed titanium beak.

Archinaut, A 3D Printing Robot To Make Big Structures In Space
Historically, the only way to get anything into orbit has been by rocket; a process that is massively expensive, cumbersome, and presents a slew ...