HP2600N Colour Printer - No Print from AS400

Hi all, I have set up fifty or sixty HP lasers on the AS400 and they
all print quite happily. The models were
HP2200/2300/4050/4100/4200/4300.

I am now trying to set up my first colour laser, HP2600N, and it
appears to print and disappears from the spool file on the AS400. At
the laser the network light flashes, but I get no output.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone print successfully to the
HP2600?

This is the configuration that I am using is: -

Device description . . . . . . . > HP2600TN
Port number  . . . . . . . . . .   9100
Online at IPL  . . . . . . . . .   *YES
Font:
  Identifier . . . . . . . . . .   11
  Point size . . . . . . . . . .   *NONE
Form feed  . . . . . . . . . . .   *CONT
Separator drawer . . . . . . . .   *FILE
Separator program  . . . . . . .   *NONE
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
Printer error message  . . . . .   *INQ
Message queue  . . . . . . . . .   QSYSOPR
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .     *LIBL
Activation timer . . . . . . . .   170
Inactivity timer . . . . . . . .   *SEC15
Line speed . . . . . . . . . . .   19200
 Word length  . . . . . . . . . .   8
 Type of parity . . . . . . . . .   *NONE
 Stop bits  . . . . . . . . . . .   1
 Host print transform . . . . . .   *YES
 Manufacturer type and model  . .   *HP5SI
 Paper source 1 . . . . . . . . .   *A4
 Paper source 2 . . . . . . . . .   *A4
 Envelope source  . . . . . . . .   *NONE
 ASCII code page 899 support  . .   *NO
 Image configuration  . . . . . .   *NONE
 Character identifier:
   Graphic character set  . . . .   *SYSVAL
   Code page  . . . . . . . . . .

Remote location:
  Name or address  . . . . . . .   '192.168.nnn.nnn'

User-defined options . . . . . .   *SAME
               + for more values
User-defined object:
  Object . . . . . . . . . . . .   *NONE
    Library  . . . . . . . . . .
  Object type  . . . . . . . . .
Data transform program . . . . .   *NONE
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
System driver program  . . . . .   *HPPJLDRV
Secure connection  . . . . . . .   *SAME
Validation list  . . . . . . . .   *SAME
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .
Publishing information:
  Support duplex . . . . . . . .   *SIMPLEX
  Support color  . . . . . . . .   *COLOR
  Pages per minute black . . . .   20
  Pages per minute color . . . .   *UNKNOWN
  Location . . . . . . . . . . .   *BLANK
  Data streams supported . . . .   *PCL
               + for more values
Text 'description' . . . . . . .   'HP 2600TN
Workstation customizing object     HP5SIL
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . .     WSCSTLIB

Thanks,
Neil
0
Newbie_Neil

Hi all,

I've just found the answer. The HP2600 is a "host-based" printer and
expects the processing to be done on a PC.

Courtesy of Pat Flanagan at the HP site, "The fundamental difference
is that the 2600n is one of HP's "host based" printers. It has no
processor, and all print job processing is done on the "host" (your
computer) by the HP host based software you installed on it. That
software completely processes the job and sends a finished dot pattern
to the printer to print.

No processor makes the printers inexpensive, but you pay a price in
capabilities as you're finding out.

They are incapable of using the traditional PCL and PostScript
drivers. You must install the HP host based software to use one.

They also don't print Adobe .pdf formatted files well, if at all."

Thanks,
Neil
0
Newbie_Neil
12/7/2009 4:28:49 PM
> I've just found the answer. The HP2600 is a "host-based" printer and
> expects the processing to be done on a PC.

Ugh...what a pile of crap. I have to make a note to avoid this model.

> Courtesy of Pat Flanagan at the HP site, "The fundamental difference
> is that the 2600n is one of HP's "host based" printers. It has no
> processor, and all print job processing is done on the "host" (your
> computer) by the HP host based software you installed on it. That
> software completely processes the job and sends a finished dot pattern
> to the printer to print.

Reminds me of the 'WinModems' that popped up around the time dial-up
internet access started to taper off. Basically the modem was little
more than a soundcard that played sound through a phone line, the
actual 'encoding 'work' was done by the host PC. They were Total
Garbage, even when new. Just like a Perle 494 :-)

Chris
0
Hal