ibm as400 scsi drives in PC ? -newbie question-

i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400
server.

i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a
generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w .

they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive
( ie. formatting)

are these compatable with regular PC scsi  ?

is it the drive microcode ?

am i out of luck on these drives ?

drive cage = type 6713
ibm FRU = 59H6611
drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date)
0
reply9190 (1)

The low leve format of the drives is different (520 vs. 512 for PCs as I
recall)

You should be able to find a utility to reformat them.

HTH,
Charles

In article <3fr4h0hqcq8dpeibqkmac7cv9ilm85oupt@4ax.com>, reply@here.org
says...
> i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400
> server.
>
> i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a
> generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w .
>
> they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive
> ( ie. formatting)
>
> are these compatable with regular PC scsi  ?
>
> is it the drive microcode ?
>
> am i out of luck on these drives ?
>
> drive cage = type 6713
> ibm FRU = 59H6611
> drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date)

0
cwilt1 (190)
8/5/2004 5:52:04 PM
thank you , i`ll look into that -

drives seem to stop responding after adaptec bios format utility is
attempted - led activity indicator goes off - no writing noise

ibm/hitachi Drive Fitness Test - write attempts generate errors

will try other utilities

                                         thanks again ...

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:52:04 GMT, Charles Wilt <cwilt@meaa.mea.com>
wrote:

>The low leve format of the drives is different (520 vs. 512 for PCs as I
>recall)
>
>You should be able to find a utility to reformat them.
>
>HTH,
>Charles
>

>In article <3fr4h0hqcq8dpeibqkmac7cv9ilm85oupt@4ax.com>, reply@here.org
>says...
>> i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400
>> server.
>>
>> i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a
>> generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w .
>>
>> they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive
>> ( ie. formatting)
>>
>> are these compatable with regular PC scsi  ?
>>
>> is it the drive microcode ?
>>
>> am i out of luck on these drives ?
>>
>> drive cage = type 6713
>> ibm FRU = 59H6611
>> drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date)

0
brybry (2)
8/5/2004 7:26:28 PM
I have heard that you have to do some sort of low level format on the
dirve. Not a DOS format, but at a hardware level, lower that a DOS
partition.

It seems like you had to start a DOS session, run DEBUG and send some
magic hex codes to the IDE controler.

Denny

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:30:20 -0700, reply@here.org wrote:

>i have aquired 5 ibm scsi drives and cages pulled from a retired AS400
>server.
>
>i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a
>generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w .
>
>they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive
>( ie. formatting)
>
>are these compatable with regular PC scsi  ?
>
>is it the drive microcode ?
>
>am i out of luck on these drives ?
>
>drive cage = type 6713
>ibm FRU = 59H6611
>drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date)

0
spam424 (174)
8/5/2004 8:12:19 PM
Use the adaptec 2940u2w low level format option.
Works like a charm.
Ctrl A at boot time.

:
: i was hoping i could use them in a raid configuration connected to a
: generic PC with an adaptec 2940u2w .
:
: they are all recognized but throw up errors when writing to drive
: ( ie. formatting)
:
: are these compatable with regular PC scsi  ?
:
: is it the drive microcode ?
:
: am i out of luck on these drives ?
:
: drive cage = type 6713
: ibm FRU = 59H6611
: drive model number = DGHS-09U date code 01APR99 (all 5 same date)

thanks all !!!

 yes - low level format via scsi controller
(after waiting 30min with no LED indicators)
is the answer - drives work great - solid ...

+++ saw these same drives on ebay ranging from $10 (bare drive)
to $$150 (with as400 drive trays)

are as400 people willing to shell out $100 + for these drives ?

guess i should watch these auctions and see if they sell

0
brybry (2)

IBM AS400

Walk in Drive in IBM Bangalore for AS400 Testers on 6 Jan 2011
Hi, Synova(End Client IBM) is looking for AS400 testers for Bangalore location. Note: 1) Those who can attend face to face interview with IBM on 6 Jan 2011 can submit their CV=92s 2) Those who appeared for IBM interview in the past 6 months will not be considered. Position: AS400 tester Date and time: 6th jan 2011 from 9.30 to 12.30 P.M Location: IBM , Bangalore Skills: AS400 Tester should have 3 + yrs of relevant experience. They should have Manuall testing, Basic Operations , knowledge of DB2 & SQL Candidate should able to do F2F on Thursday, should have excellent communication skills and technical skills. If interested, please submit profiles with the following details: Full Name : Contact number : Alternate contact number : Current Company: Total Exp: Relevant Exp: Take home salary per month: Expected Take home salary per month: Current Location: Notice Peroid: Note: Candidate must join within 15-20 days (Mandatory) Thanks and Regards UMA Reliance Global Services uma@relianceglobal.com 040-66666165/156 Ext:226 www.relianceglobal.com ...

Auction: IBM 6157-002 TAPE DRIVE FOR RS6000 and AS400 BACKUP
http://search.ebay.com/190099027288 End time: Apr-08-07 18:49:16 PDT ...

A Basic question on Connecting non-IBM FC Disk Subsystem to AS400
Hi, I'm exploring connecting a non-IBM AS400 disk subsystem to AS400, for example connecting an IBM FAStT Storage Subsystem to the AS400. Can this be done? If so what do I need to get this working? Is the config certified by IBM? Thank you. ...

SCSI on IBM PC
Hi- I'm new at using SCSI.... I recently bought a SCSI CD-Rom for dirt cheap.... However, I know NOTHING about connecting it to a PC with IDE connectors. I think this is an internal CD-Rom and am eager to set it up... Do I need a converter to the IDE interface? I didn't realize this would open a can of worms... (It is a SCSI2 CD-Rom). Thanks.... In article <cNWbb.400$NX3.149@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Gregg Hardin wrote: > I'm new at using SCSI.... I recently bought a SCSI CD-Rom for dirt > cheap.... However, I know NOTHING about connecting it ...

Auction: 640K RAM CARD Memory expansion for IBM PC , IBM PC/XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/640K-RAM-CARD-Memory-expansion-for-IBM-PC-IBM-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ8764134178QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Feb-16-06 15:46:57 PST 3 available ...

A question for any IBM PC & PC/XT Motherboard experts
My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? Just curious. Frank G. On Jul 3, 8:19=A0pm, "Frank Galphin" <chromedom...@comcast.net> wrote: > My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor > near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? > Just curious. > > Frank G. It's connected to the clock generator chip, so it adjusts the crystal frequency. Of course, you may wonder why a crystal would need adjusting. Th...

A question for any IBM PC & PC/XT Motherboard experts
My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? Just curious. Frank G. On Jul 3, 8:19=A0pm, "Frank Galphin" <chromedom...@comcast.net> wrote: > My question is what is the purpose of the C1 trimmer capacitor > near the crystal at the back of the XT motherboard near slot 6 & 7? > Just curious. > > Frank G. It's connected to the clock generator chip, so it adjusts the crystal frequency. Of course, you may wonder why a crystal would need adjusting. Th...

link table IBM AS400
Hi. Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. I dont't know the exact message). I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. Here an abstract txt BOLAZI;BOLCLI;BOLDBO;BOLNBO;BOLCAU;BOLNPR;BOLTRE;BOLMAT;BOLDES [........] [........] ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato ;;;;;;;#Eliminato;#Eliminato 0;474;990204;354;10;1;1; 936;PC Intel Pentium II 400 Miditower 0;474;990204;354;10;4;1; 1890;CD-ROM drive 36X 0;474;990204;354;10;5;1; 1692;HD-SCSI 4.5 Gb IBM Ultrastar WIDE 7200 0;474;990204;354;10;6;1; 1497;HD-SCSI 9.1 Gb IBM DDRS-39130 UWIDE [........] Thanks in advance M. "Mire" <mary@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buo9eo$k39dq$1@ID-57790.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hi. > Sorry for my english but I have MS Access in italian. > My problem is by link a table from IBM As400 (with > 100.000 rows). > > The output of the table is many #ELIMINATO (in english "delete" / "erase".. > I dont't know the exact message). > I have tried with "requery" or recreating the link without results. > > If I *import* the table from AS400 it works perfectly without problems. > &...

AS400 to AS400 connection

IBM SCSI Drive Markings
The old IBM HDD web site had detailed info on just about every IDE Drive that they ever made. I never used their SCSI HDDs before. The new Hitachi site has a lot of info on IBM SCSI drives but it's not very clear. For example if I look up DDRS 34560, the data in the .PDF seems to indicate that ALL of the drives in this family are capable of 80MB/sec performance. Based on this information I bought 4 of these 4.5G drives on Ebay. I tested the drives one at a time with an Adaptec AHA 2940U2W card and 3 different new SE/LVD cables with Active Termination. Only one of the drives reports 80MB/sec during the Adaptec SCSI BIOS POST. The drive that reports 80MB/sec is marked on the drive label: SCSI SE/LVD The rest of the drives are marked: SCSI SE Does that mean that they were advertised incorrectly and are only capable of 40MB/sec? How can I tell if an IBM drive is 80MB/sec before buying? Yo buys yo ticket an yo takes yo chances. I only paid $5 to $10 each so I figured that it was worth a gamble. Even if they are only 40MB/sec drives they are better than the old 2.1G Seagate 20MB Ultra SCSI drive that came with this old system. Chas. The first models were SE. Note there are change bars in the PDF wherever LVD is mentioned. Most sellers just cut&paste the specs. I have one and the actual transfer rate is 15MB/s or less. Two of them can almost saturate a UW bus. I would suggest anyone looking for a used SCSI drive only consider those under 5 years old. I got my ...

PowerPC extensions for IBM AS400

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107003281 > Item name: Radio Shack Tandy Computer Games (color computer) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: -- > End Date: May-25-04 17:09:47 PDT http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107003902 > Item name: Top Loading Nintendo NES +Games(Mario, Exitebike Tetris > Price: $95.00 > End Date: May-27-04 15:16:57 PDT http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8106986777 > Item name: 1978 Mattel Football II 2 handheld game MIB > Price: $39.00 > End Date: May-27-04 15:05:04 PDT > View Item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3194532113 > Item name: ...

IBM PS/2 : ftp.pc.ibm.com is closing down (or is it?)
Hi all, Browsing along I stumbled on this ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special Watch for the warning Then look at the filedate Let's see what happens tomorrow . . . . -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special/cdtfiles/ Looks to be stuff on 65xx series here. JWR wrote: > Hi all, > > Browsing along I stumbled on this > > ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special > > Watch for the warning > > Then look at the filedate > > Let's see what happens tomorrow . . . . > ...

IBM AS400 certfication test papers
Aprax Consulting believes in developing professionals who believe in themselves and are equipped with the latest state of the art in their respective fields, professionals who are confident and can compete in the challenging world. The endeavor is to inculcate a desire for continuous improvement, a sense of healthy competition, and sensitivity towards ethical and moral values. Aprax consulting offers all types of certification test papers, dumps with 100% assurance of passing. 100% Money refunded if failed (except courier charges). All IBM certification including Mainframe certification, AS400 certification test papers available. IBM MAINFRAME DB2 certification IBM AS/400 RPGILE certification Contact: Aprax Consulting Ph(M): +91-9873500678 URL: www.apraxindia.com Email: hr@apraxindia.com Your 1st sentence is grammatically incorrect and doesn't make any sense. One question: Isn't your moral values endeavor compromised by selling dumps? ...

IBM PC AT drive in modern computer
I am trying to copy data from a genuine IBM Personal Computer AT to a new computer running Windows XP. Can I plug the PC AT's hard disk drive as a second IDE drive on the new computer? If not, what's the easiest way of extracting the data from the old computer. There is about 12MB of data so I would prefer not to do it via floppy disks. The AT ain't IDE! It is really only about 10 diskettes, probably faster than trying to cludge up a direct cable connection or get a MFM card recognized and configured in a new PC ... assuming you have one that matches your drive. I bet a &q...

IBM 11H3600 GENUINE IBM SCSI-2 ADAPTER FAST/WIDE auction
Comes with F/W cable from a 7013-590 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040508190 Aug-17-03 12:00:16 PDT Louis Ohland schrieb: > > Comes with F/W cable from a 7013-590 > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3040508190 > Aug-17-03 12:00:16 PDT worth alone for the cabling. unlukily he ships inside Canada only. )o: has some more nice items as well. Gereon ...

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

ODBC drivers for IBM AS400 on Mac OsX
Hello, I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. I cannot usa jdbc because the program that needs to access this AS400 is FileMaker Pro 8, and it handles only odbc connections. Thank you for your help and patience, -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | Sorry for the multiple posts, Guido > I need to know if there exists an ODBC driver (commercial too) > for the IBM AS400 system (maybe DB2 is equivalent) that can > be easily installed on a *Mac Os X*. > A quick google search didn't show much in the way of DB2 ODBC drivers for Mac, but there's an odbc-to-jdbc bridge product that may be helpful: http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Kaj Julius wrote: > http://uda.openlinksw.com/odbc/st/odbc-jdbc-bridge-st/ > (click the Mac symbol at the bottom of the page) Thank you Kaj, I will take a look. -- Guido | Experience is a strange teacher, | | it gives you the problem before the lesson | ...

Does IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux?
Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which distribution is available? Al Al Bogner wrote: > Does an IBM AS400e Type 9406 work with Linux? If so, which > distribution is available? The following shows the which models support Linux. http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/linux/pdfs/guide.pdf ...

IBM PS/2 (Type 8535, 8540)/IBM ValuePoint
Applicable to: World-Wide Symptom: The 8535, 8540 or 6384 diskette drive fails to read, write or format. The failures may be intermittent or solid. The diskette drive diagnostics run without error. Problem Isolation Aids: This tip applies to IBM Non-Micro channel systems with EMM386 and a Busmaster adapter installed. This tip does not apply to ValuePoint 6382/S or 6384/D with flash EEPROM level 51A (L6ET51AUS) or higher. Either of the following methods may be utilised to determine if there is a compatibility problem with EMM386* memory manager and the Busmaster option adapter: 1. Removed EMM386 or 2. Remove the Busmaster option adapter. If in doubt as to which adapter is a Busmaster. Remove all option adapters. If the diskette drive failures continue after removing EMM386 or removing the option adapters, this tip does not apply. Note: Other memory manager software which operates similar to EMM386 may also require the Zero_DMA.SYS driver. Fix: If the diskette drive functions correctly after removing any Busmaster adapters or removing EMM386, the customer should install device driver ZERO_DMA.SYS. The device driver should be copied to the root directory, and the following statement should be added as the first line in the CONFIG.SYS file: DEVICE=ZERO_DMA.SYS ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/valuepnt/zero_dma.zip http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/876e.htm ...

Microsoft uses IBM AS400's for development.
Not well known but Microsoft uses IBM AS400 machines with the Windows server card option to develop programs. This option is really a PC on a card but offers significant advantages over a stand alone pc in that it can support virtual sessions of Windows each of which can be rebooted as required without bringing down the other seesions or worse the rest of the machine. Microsoft is a huge IBM AS400 customer. Most people assume developers are using PC's sitting next to their work space. Fadl Ullah Jonnalagadda wrote: > Not well known but Microsoft uses IBM AS400 machines with the Windows > server card option to develop programs. This option is really a PC on > a card but offers significant advantages over a stand alone pc in that > it can support virtual sessions of Windows each of which can be > rebooted as required without bringing down the other seesions or worse > the rest of the machine. Microsoft is a huge IBM AS400 customer. Most > people assume developers are using PC's sitting next to their work > space. MS developers are using Win 2k3 and Win 2k8 servers as development machines too and not PC(s), with VMware. Fadl Ullah Jonnalagadda wrote: Plonk "Fadl Ullah Jonnalagadda" <fadlullah.jonnalagadda@gmail.com> wrote in message news:60deb8d3-5599-48d8-8667-6734e37a756b@31g2000vbf.googlegroups.com... > Not well known but Microsoft uses IBM AS400 machines with the Windows > server card option to develop programs. ...

External IBM PC 5.25" Drive
Hi, Recently, I've been trying to get some data off a few 5.25" floppies I have. I found out that there was an External IBM PC 5.25" Drive created in the 1980s. However, it has a 37-pin male connector. A 37-pin female connector is not found on modern PCs. Is it possible to buy something such as an adapter that one can connect the 37-pin male connector to a parallel port adapter and then hook the device into the parallel port? Or would this create all sorts of problems? If it helps, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition but also have access to the first version ...

WTT: 32MB SIMMs
I have (6) sticks of SiliconMountain Memory (Parity, Gold leads, 70ns), product # SMM4342-9661. These SIMMs are supposed to be equivalent to IBM 92G7205. This memory works fine in my PC 750 MCA/PCI (6886) under Win98. But it does NOT work reliability under Windows NT 3.51 (My current OS). I would like to trade 192MB of SiliconMountain Memory for (2) sticks of IBM 92G7205 SIMMs. Please contact me via email at gorenbergh @ mags . net. Thanks, Steve (eTh1nk) ...

Web resources about - ibm as400 scsi drives in PC ? -newbie question- - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

ATO's private company list kicks up more questions about artistry of tax arrangements
Just $2 billion net tax on total income of $145 billion. What a time to be alive.

Paper-thin waist challenge raises questions in China
Chinese women are competing online to see who can be most paper-thin. Literally.

Question: Your feelings on the 1959-vs-'09 Chevy crash test?
Filed under: Government/Legal , Chevrolet , Safety , Classics In 2009, the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety smashed a 1959 Bel Air into ...

With Wii U’s fate in question, Nintendo’s NX might be its last chance
After spending three-and-a-half years languishing at the bottom of the market, the Wii U is finally being put to rest. That's according to a ...

Funding Circle's CEO addressed 'the most pertinent question anyone can ask about our industry'
Lord Adair Turner looms large over the peer-to-peer lending industry. The former banking regulator, who led the Financial Services Authority ...

BuzzFeed: ‘Questions Hang Over FBI After Apple Showdown Fizzles’
Hamza Shaban, summarizing the state of the Apple-FBI fight for BuzzFeed: In an editorial Wednesday, the Wall Street Journal described the government’s ...

How to Ask Better Questions
“Literature is the question minus the answer.” [Roland Barthes] Our questions reveal our real intent more than we suspect. There is such a thing ...

Question of the Day: Which Android Phone Would You Like to See Remade, iPhone SE Style?
No matter how much we love a particular phone, at some point, it’s going to get old and not function as well as the newer phones. This is why ...

3 Questions That Will Save You 8 Hours A Week
Can three simple questions save you eight hours a week?