insert fails - accessing AS/400 from MS SQL Server linked server

Hi,
I configured a linked server in MS SQL Server v8 pointing to a remote
AS/400  DB2 database. I used Client Access ODBC driver (v7), installed
it from a Client Access Express v4.5.

Select/update/delete seems to be working fine, I just cannot execute
an insert statement. Here's the error I'm getting:

update as400..U1.TB1 set a = 4
select * from as400..U1.TB1
insert into as400..U1.TB1 ( a ) values (1)
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. The provider did not give
any information about the error.
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IRowsetChange::InsertRow
returned 0x80004005:  The provider did not give any information about
the error.].

I tried with and without a unique index on my table, same error.

Any help appreciated,
Daniel
0
bufes (1)

AS400 as SQL Server Linked server
Hi, I'm trying to set up DB2 on AS400 as a linked server on SQL Server. Everything works ok, but, when I try to run an UPDATE, it gives me an error (OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IRowsetChange::SetData returned 0x80004005). I've searched a lot on the internet, I've tried some solutions but without success. I'm using SQLServer 2000 and Client Access 5 release 1. Is there any solution or workaround ? Thanks in advance Massimo ...

MS SQL Linked Servers(Linking MySQL to MS SQL) Collation problem.
Hello, I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? P?vels Mihailovs (iceravenlv@gmail.com) writes: > I have a problem. I've linked MySql server to MsSql, in MySql I have a > table with Latvian data(character set is ucs2, ucs2_general_ci) and > the problem is that when I use openquery to read data from MySQL > server, some characters are not translated correctly! I receive > question symbols instead of Latvian special characters. > Maybe someone had this kind of problem with collation? Since I don't work with MySQL myself, it's difficult to say what is going on. But if MySQL has a notion of collation, and the collation is ucs2_general_ci, it sounds like MySQL returns Unicode data. One would expect that to arrive unscathed. What is you collation on the SQL Server side? The stored procedure sp_serveroption permits you to set options for linked servers, and two of them relates to collations. You could play around with these and see what happens. Please look in Books Online for details. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/techn...

Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine.
I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL Server on another machine. Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database. Thanks in Advance! gdev (paul.afamdi.okeke@gmail.com) writes: > I'm Trying to create a linked server from an SQL Server to another SQL > Server on another machine. > > Can anyone suggest some good reference material or tutorials?? So far > I'm only finding examples for a linked server to an ACCESS database. There are plenty of examples in the topic for sp_addlinkedserver. In many cases, it is as simple as: exec sp_addlinkedserver THATSERVEROVERHERE exec sp_serverioption THATSERVEROVERTHERE, 'data access', true Authentication does not always work though, and in this case sp_addlinkedsrvlogin comes to the rescue. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx ...

Using MS SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Manager with MS SQL Server 2000
Hi Everyone, Most of our MS SQL Servers are still running on SQL 2000, but being I will soon be upgrading my workstation to Vista Business I'd like to install MS SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager to manage them all. When I tried to install MS SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager on Vista, it gave me a message saying it's not compatible, so I'll have to use 2005 I guess. We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they do squirly things that often break stuff. Thanks -- Alex Alex (samalex@gmail.com) writes: > We have LOTS of DTS scripts on our SQL 2000 server, and will 2005 EM > work with these okay? Also I want to make sure SQL 2005 Enterprise > Manager won't be adding to, changing, or 'upgrading' the DTS scripts or > anything on the SQL 2000 servers as we still have folks using SQL 2000 > Enterprise Manager. > > Thanks for any suggestions. I'm always leery when using cross-versions > of Microsoft applications because they are often incompatible or they > do squirly things that often break stuff. There isn't any Enterpr...

SQL Server Link Server
Is it possible to create a link server in SQL Server without using the default system.mdw file? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Vincent (animedreamer@verizon.net) writes: > Is it possible to create a link server in SQL Server without using the > default system.mdw file? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Eh, yes. I don't even know what the system.mdw file might be. Adding a linked server can be as easy as: sp_addlinkedserver THATSERVEROVERTHERE and then you might be able to say things like: SELECT ... FROM THATSERVEROVERTHERE.db.dbo.tbl It is not always that simple; this requires Windows authentication to work all the way. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/downloads/books.mspx Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx ...

Entreprise Manager error message: "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user '#####'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.(28000,18452)"
Can anyone give a quick description of the meaning of this message and what needs to be done to get a connection. I'm running DBArtisan with SQLServer 2000 client SP4 installed. I also get the same message with MS Enterprise Manager so this is coming out of the actual ODBC connection attempt. Thanks in advance! In the future, please do not put part of your message in the subject line. Makes it harder to read. In any case, you're trying to do integrated login and don't have that login set up in the DB. You need to add that login, or change to a SQL Login. -- Greg Moore SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available! Email: sql (at) greenms.com http://www.greenms.com/sqlserver.html "byrocat" <strikemaster2000@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:a1fc2ee7-94f6-40e2-9da9-6358130e11f4@e67g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone give a quick description of the meaning of this message and > what needs to be done to get a connection. > > I'm running DBArtisan with SQLServer 2000 client SP4 installed. > > I also get the same message with MS Enterprise Manager so this is > coming out of the actual ODBC connection attempt. > > Thanks in advance! ...

Server to server = Server client to server?
For a server to server connection, is the connecting server considered as a client of the accepting server or is it not? I have the following classes: Connection <--- base class of the following two ClientConnection <--- client ServerConnection <--- server ServerClientConnection <--- server as a client of another server. But then I came across something that states "A client is anything connected to a server that is not another client". Comments please... Just remember! Server ( programm ) is always listening a connections!!! - wrote: &g...

MS SQL Server 2000 and MS JDBC SQL Server driver problems. (Connection timed out, followed by Error establishing socket)
I have downloaded the MS SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation edition, and the MS SQL 2000 Server JDBC driver. I have installed and configured the MS SQL Server 2000 onto two computers, which reside on the same network. (In fact, these two computers comprise the entire network). The network server (computer name=SUNCDS1), and the lone node (SUNCDS2), each have their own SQL Server 2000 instance. The SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager console on SUNCDS1 shows both SQL Server instances, the (local) instance, which is SUNCDS1, and also SUNCDS2. It may be worthwhile to mention that the SUNCDS2 instance on the Enterprise console does not show the SQL Server Agent as being started, but I can navigate to the SUNCDS2 databases, and display the table information. If I try to start the SQL Server Agent for SUNCDS2, I receive the message "Access is Denied". The enterprise console on the SUNCDS2 machine indeed shows the SQL Server Agent as being started. I have written a sample Java application that uses both the MS SQL Server ODBC driver and a JDBC type 4 driver (MS SQL Server 2000 JDBC) to establish a connection to the SUNCDS2 instance. This application resides on the SUNCDS1 network server. The ODBC driver will connect to SUNCDS2 instance wihout a problem. The JDBC driver does not connect to SUNCDS2. The JDBC driver will, however, connect to the local SQL Server instance that resides on SUNCDS1. Following are the code snippet to est...

Explicitly fail a SQL Server Job in SQL Server 2000
I have a SQL Server job, which runs mutiple steps. One of the steps (step 3) looks for a record in the database. How can I explicitly fail the SQL server job if the database record does not exist? You can use RAISERROR with a severity level of 11 or higher to indicate failure. Simon Thanks Simon. That worked. ...

Error inserting into iSeries DB2 table with long name via SQL Server 2000 linked Server
I have a IBM iSeries (aka AS-400) running v5r3 of OS/400 that I access via a linked server from SQL Server 2000. The following select works fine: select * from prod400db.test.meldbf.InventoryHistory However, this insert statement fails: insert into prod400db.TEST.MELDBF.InventoryHistory (plantId, itemnumber, transactionType, transactionQty, fromStockRoom, fromStatusCode, fromBinLocation, toStockRoom, toStatusCode, toBinLocation, transactionReason, transactionSourceSystem) values ('100','CMW21','R',11, NULL, NULL, NULL, 'WIP',' ', NULL,'DSB','CMW') With the following message: Server: Msg 7343, Level 16, State 2, Line 1 OLE DB provider 'IBMDASQL' could not INSERT INTO table '[prod400db]. [TEST].[MELDBF].[InventoryHistory]'. [OLE/DB provider returned message: SQL0104: Token . was not valid. Valid tokens: <IDENTIFIER>. Cause . . . . . : A syntax error was detected at token .. Token . is not a valid token. A partial list of valid tokens is <IDENTIFIER>. This list assumes that the statement is correct up to the token. The error may be earlier in the statement, but the syntax of the statement appears to be valid up to this point. Recovery . . . : Do one or more of the following and try the request again: -- Verify the SQL statement in the area of the token .. Correct the statement. The error could be a missing comma or quotation mark, it could be a misspelled word, ...

Linked Server to SQL-Server Question
I've been trying to work with Linked Servers for the first time, with mixed success. My problem right now is in trying to write a View using a linked server. The linked server is another SQL-Server, and it was set up using the 'Enterprise Manager' interface. When the server was created, the name was given as the full server address - name.pyr.ec.gc.ca. When I try and use this name in a new view, I enter the name in the query as [name.pyr.ec.gc.ca].database.dbo.table. SQL-Server rewrites this name as name.[pyr.ec.gc.ca.database].dbo.table table_1 I'm sure this is me not understanding something about using linked servers, but it seems strange to me none the less. Is there a way for me to create the linked server using sp_addlinkedserver, which would not require the full server address as the linked server name? Or is my view syntax not correct? Or can I just not create the query as a view? I've looked around the new groups, but have no answers yet. Any help would be much appreciated. Tim never mind.....finally found a single entry in BOL that explained it. ...

Setting up a linked server in MS SQL using IBM OLE DB PRovider for DB2
I am using DB2 UDB Application development client v8.2.5. I am trying to setup a linked server in MS SQL Enterprise Manager using the IBM OLE DB Provider for DB2 to connect to databases on DB2 for z/OS v7 and v8. The connection string I used is Provider=IBMDADB2;Data Source=xxxx and location C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN. After creating the connection, when I click on the tables/views under that linked server, I get the following error.. Error 7303: Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB Provider 'IBMDADB2' OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB provider 'IBMDADB2' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x8004d01c] Please help. ...

New IBM Laptop running SQL server cannot connect to another sql server on network
I am trying to connect a new LBM Laptop to an SQL server on the network and I get "test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider, [dbnetlib][connectionopren(connect()),] SQL server does not exist or access denied. The laptom has sql server running on it locally and I am trying to connect to an SQL server on the network. Thanks Tom Hi You should make sure that SQL Server is at Service Pack 3a on both machines and check the MDAC installation on the laptop with the MDAC component checker (see microsoft download centre)? If you can connect to the network SQL Server from other machines, then check the network settings on the laptop. John "TomCullen" <cullentw2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6ba80eaf.0410220926.6c2f4355@posting.google.com... > I am trying to connect a new LBM Laptop to an SQL server on the > network > and I get "test connection failed because of an error in initializing > provider, [dbnetlib][connectionopren(connect()),] SQL server does not > exist or access denied. The laptom has sql server running on it > locally and I am trying to connect to an SQL server on the network. > Thanks > Tom ...

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13 424 TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1 CD NR 14 688 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services (c) Microsoft CD NR 15 412 SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services Enterprise (c) Microsoft please send e-mail, to ola2@mail.gr, zorba@mail.gr ...

Help! SQL Server error
Dear all, On Win2000 server with SP3, I am trying to access a SQL Server 7.0 database, "TestDB", from VB6 via a SQL Server ODBC system DSN using ADO 2.7. In SQL Server Enterprise Manager, there is a login named "Tester". In its property window, NO "Server Roles" was assigned but its "Database Access" was set to "TestDB". This login was also made as the user of "TestDB" with "public", "db_datareader" and "db_datawriter" selected as its "Database role membership". All the tables I am trying to access in "TestDB" were created under "Tester". My code is like: Set conn = New ADODB.Connection conn.Open "DSN=TestDSN;UID=Tester;PWD=test" Set cmd = New ADODB.Command cmd.ActiveConnection = conn cmd.CommandText = SQL set rs = cmd.Execute() If I set the SQL to something like "SELECT * FROM tbl_test", I always get an error of "-2147217865" saying "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Invalid object name tbl_test". If I set the SQL to "SELECT * FROM Tester.tbl_test", everything runs properly. Could anyone please kindly advise why the first SQL is not working? Or in other words, why must I prefix the table name with its owner while the DB connection is already made under that owner name? Thanks in advance. Tracy I likely cause is that your ODBC DSN is setup for integrated security instead of SQL authent...

Linked Server Limit in SQL Server 2000
I am about to start working on a project where I would be required to dynamically create linked servers during the execution of an application. One of the requirements is for the Link Servers to be created and dropped before and after the retrieval of the data. My question is about any type of cap on the number of linked servers SQL Server 2000 can have registered at any single time. If I find out that there is some type of cap, I would need to look into another way to deal with my linked server needs. Thanks for any help/information you might be able to provide. TBlair (tblair23221@yahoo.com) writes: > I am about to start working on a project where I would be required to > dynamically create linked servers during the execution of an > application. One of the requirements is for the Link Servers to be > created and dropped before and after the retrieval of the data. My > question is about any type of cap on the number of linked servers SQL > Server 2000 can have registered at any single time. If I find out that > there is some type of cap, I would need to look into another way to > deal with my linked server needs. Thanks for any help/information you > might be able to provide. I have no idea whether there are any restriction, but since a linked server is really just an alias which is being looked up in sysservers at run time, it is not likely that there should be an issue. But, hm, what is there is a numeric id in sysservers? Ah, there is, and...

Linked Server Error Between SQL Server and Oracle
I have used Linked Servers to hook up to an Oracle 9i database in SQL Server 2000. I can see all the Tables and Views when I look in the linked server section. I can also run the following SQL statement : Select * from Orcldb..SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites and get a return result. The problem I realize is that some of the tables are going to be quite larger and I can't wait for SQL Server to download all the data and parse it itself, so I tried to use a passthrough query like so : SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(OrclDB, 'SELECT * FROM SYSTEM.CrossTabSaveSites') Unfortunately this gives me the error message : Server: Msg 7321, Level 16, State 2, Line 1 An error occurred while preparing a query for execution against OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA'. [OLE/DB provider returned message: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist ] There is also the issue of speed. It takes about 15 seconds to come back to me to tell me that the table/view doesn't exist, but sometimes it comes back immediately. Is this something with the user permissions in Oracle? (Don't really know much about Oracle) It just seems like a very long time to wait just to let me know that the item doesn't exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated, -Jevon Thurlow "Jevon" <jevonthurlow@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:34e7f100.0404080933.2e40e19e@posting.google.com... > I have used Linked Servers to hook up to an Oracle 9i database in SQL > Server 2000. I can see all...

Oracle DB to MS Sql Server DB Replication question...via Sql Server Views??
Hi, I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not allowed to configure or change the db). We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to query the Oracle database. With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the delta for subsequent replications? Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! Thanx, Doemon doemon@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I've been asked to look > into replication from Oracle to Sql Server. He's the situation: > We have access to a remote Oracle database, but only read access (not > allowed to configure or change the db). > We own a Sql Server database with Views that use a link server to > query the Oracle database. > > With this setup, is it possible to replicate the Oracle database? Can > we do a replication from the Sql Server with the Views into another > Sql Server database, and if we can, will it be able to only pull the > delta for subsequent replications? > > Any tips and hints would be helpful. Pleeease! > I don't know the answer to the second question, nor your versions, but the first sh...

A server for SQL Server
We are considering migrating our Access backend to SQL Server or something similar. I am hearing rumors that our server will have to be a really expensive, beefed-up version. Can anyone shed some light on that? Thanks, Hank Reed No, because it's bogus. You can run SQL Server on some *very* minimal equipment, but remember that you get what you pay for. Running SQL on a under-powered machine works, but you loose time as the employees wait for it to respond. Think of it as owning a high performance car (Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) as your desktop machine. It will seem like quite a waste if the only place you have to run it (the server) is on city streets. Likewise your network is also an issue. If you network can't handle the load.... Basically, you want your server to be faster then the client PCs, however you also should remember that you also want to transfer as much processing as you can from the Access application to the SQL Server to take advantage of the reduced network load and speed of a SQL Server. As such, and if you transfer the queries to the SQL Server, the Server machine doesn't have to be anywhere as "powerful" as the client machines hooked up to it. 3 or 4 systems back seems to be a good "rule of thumb" when looking at a machine to run SQL Server. The number of transactions and users who need to access the machine can change that upwards however. Or downwards, if only a couple of people need it. On 28 Jul...

IBM Servers, HP Servers and Sun Enterprise Servers
Eolparts a.k.a. your favorite "Sun Spot" on the internet offers you only the best services on the widest selection of brand name remanufactured computer hardware. Save up to 80% off the original list price of all Sun Products and Parts! eolparts is a premier global supplier of Sun workstations, Sun Servers and Internet infrastructure hardware. We provide our customers with the highest quality refurbished products paired with an unmatched host of professional services. Our world- class customer service is pivotal in the way we do business by putting our clients=92 needs first; we focus on the end users=92 desired result and work to make that happen in the most cost efficient manner. For more information visit at: - http://www.eolparts.com/ ...

Cannot make server as Target server or link from Master Server
Sql Server 7 Standard Edition My Server was renamed and the normal steps of reinstalling and running sp_dropserver and sp_addserver were followed. Everything seems to work fine but jobs from the master server. I did defect the server as a target server since it appeared as offline anyway. On trying to re establish the status of the server as a target server Failed to make "serverName" a target server Enlist into Master Server "MasterServerName" Failed(Error 14262) Your insight is appreciated Vincento "Vincento Harris" <wumutek@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2fa13ee7.0405100422.632f4324@posting.google.com... > Sql Server 7 Standard Edition > My Server was renamed and the normal steps of reinstalling > and running sp_dropserver and sp_addserver were followed. > Everything seems to work fine but jobs from the master server. > I did defect the server as a target server since it appeared as offline > anyway. > > > > On trying to re establish the status of the server as a target server > > Failed to make "serverName" a target server > Enlist into Master Server "MasterServerName" Failed(Error 14262) > > Your insight is appreciated > Vincento Is @@SERVERNAME returning the correct (new) name? Error 14262 should be "The specified %s ('%s') does not exist" - what is the full error message you see? Are there any name resolution issues, ie. can both ser...

Linked Server gives Internal SQL Server error
Hi All, I am accessing a linked server (also a SQL Server) from a stored procedure. There is an insert statement that I run on a table in the linked server. This statement causes the Internal SQL Server error. But if I run the insert statement separately from Query Analyzer, it works fine! Also, I put the stored procedure directly into the database on the linked SQL Server and it ran fine on it. Has anybody come across something of this sort? Thanks, Sanjeev mahajan.sanjeev@gmail.com napisa�(a): > Hi All, > > I am accessing a linked server (also a SQL Server) from a stored > procedure. There is an insert statement that I run on a table in the > linked server. This statement causes the Internal SQL Server error. But > if I run the insert statement separately from Query Analyzer, it works > fine! Also, I put the stored procedure directly into the database on > the linked SQL Server and it ran fine on it. Has anybody come across > something of this sort? > > Thanks, > Sanjeev > When you start procedure from query analyzer you do it as some user but when this procedure is started by sql agent as job it is another user which doesn't have an access to the database linked by linked server, and this is the problem. You can try to run this procedure from vbs for example with ado connection the same as in query analyzer ...

Multiples Instance of SQL server 2000/SQL server 7.0 on Windows server 2003
Hi, Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance and SQL server 2000 as a named instance. Thanks for your answer. riless (g.carali@voila.fr) writes: > Is it possible to install on a Windows server 2003, > SQL SERVER 2000 in the folowing configuration : > > SQL server 7.0 as a default Instance > > and > > SQL server 2000 as a named instance. If SQL 7 can be installed on Win2003, yes. But I would not really expect SQL 7 to be welcome on Windows 2003, although I don't know for sure. If it installs, it may still noe be supported. For SQL 2000 you need SP3 to run on Win 2003. That I know. -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp ...

Triggers with Linked Servers and Linked Server Test
Good Morning Everyone I developed a trigger that alters a table on a linked server (that is working just fine) everytime that the local table is altered. To avoid extra processing, i put a test to verify if the Linked Server is online or not. I tried to make the test using 'sys.sp_testlinkedserver' and 'master..xp_cmdshell' with the ping command. I've ran some tests, and they verified if the Linked Server was online or offline. Then the trigger problem began: When I insert or alter a value on the table, before it evens enter the trigger (I've put messages to follow the proccess) it verifies something and shows the following error message: OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "SERVIDOR" returned message "Login timeout expired". OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "SERVIDOR" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.". Msg 65535, Level 16, State 1, Line 0 SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. SERVIDOR is the name of the Linked Server.... On the trigger, there is no reference to the SERVIDOR in case it is down, only if the test passes. The test is ran with the IP address of the server machine. On the trigger, the test is ran like that: DECLAR...

Installing MS sql server 2000 on win 2003 server
How do I do this when my instalation cd is an old veriosn with no SP�s? Win 2003 requires MS SQL 2000 SP3 sp what do I do??? Regards Anders > When you get the prompt saying that it must be SP3 you can continue to the > end of the installation as per normal. You should then install SP3 > immediately before you do anything else. SP3a can be download from the > microsoft web site. Actually not. It says: Ms SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Ediditon server componenet is not supportet on this operating system. Only client componentes will be avaible for instalation. I juts read that before SQL server 2000 could run i would need SP3. But I get no chance of installing it. Is it because its enteprise edition? ANders > When you get the prompt saying that it must be SP3 you can continue to the > end of the installation as per normal. You should then install SP3 > immediately before you do anything else. SP3a can be download from the > microsoft web site. Ahhhh. Stupid stupid me. So embarrassed. Id used my locally cdrom drive as mountet network drive. Somehow i have manished to click on autorun menu at my local computer! Thougt the popup window was on the server. (Using VNC) Anyay thx. I'll just crawl back in my hole. Anders ...

Web resources about - insert fails - accessing AS/400 from MS SQL Server linked server - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Student pleads guilty to accessing records about Frances Abbott design scholarship
The Sydney student who leaked information about a fashion school scholarship controversially awarded to the daughter of the Prime Minister has ...

Accessing a headline opinion
Accessing a headline opinion

Sharp increase in authorities accessing private data
Australian law enforcement and government agencies have sharply increased their access without warrant to vast quantities of private telephone ...

Former librarian charged with accessing student records of Frances Abbott
A former part-time librarian at a Sydney design school has been charged after she allegedly accessed student records of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's ...