Iseries/AS400 access to external databases

We have most of our data on Iseries and have that data accessible to
external clients via ODBC, service programs, etc.

However in some cases we have external data that is being used and
maintained either in Microsoft Access Databases, MS-SQL servers, (I
guess Oracle and MySQL might be other sources but not in our case).

Is there any way to set up the Iseries so that it can treat that
(external windows database) data as though it were local, in the same
way that an external client can treat the AS400/Iseries data as though
it were local.

I have not seen the description or setup information for such a
connection.  It is sort of the opposite of what we normally need to
do, but such an ability could prove very useful to us.

Maybe I am missing something obvious.

0
dwise (20)

dwise wrote:

> We have most of our data on Iseries and have that data accessible to
> external clients via ODBC, service programs, etc.
>
> However in some cases we have external data that is being used and
> maintained either in Microsoft Access Databases, MS-SQL servers, (I
> guess Oracle and MySQL might be other sources but not in our case).
>
> Is there any way to set up the Iseries so that it can treat that
> (external windows database) data as though it were local, in the same
> way that an external client can treat the AS400/Iseries data as though
> it were local.

It is the responsibility of the database vendor to supply drivers for
access. So, IBM supplies drivers for you to run on a Windows platform to
access IBM databases and other vendors do the same.

If you need a driver to access SQL Server, then Microsoft is the company
that knows how to write one and should supply one. Of course, MS isn't
particularly interested in making it easy from anywhere but Windows.

However, because SQL Server has a JDBC driver, you can use it on your
AS/400 by writing a Java wrapper for it.

--
Tom Liotta
http://zap.to/tl400

Dieter Bender

dwise@lcor.com wrote:

> We have most of our data on Iseries and have that data accessible to
> external clients via ODBC, service programs, etc.
>
> However in some cases we have external data that is being used and
> maintained either in Microsoft Access Databases, MS-SQL servers, (I
> guess Oracle and MySQL might be other sources but not in our case).
>
> Is there any way to set up the Iseries so that it can treat that
> (external windows database) data as though it were local, in the same
> way that an external client can treat the AS400/Iseries data as though
> it were local.
>
> I have not seen the description or setup information for such a
> connection.  It is sort of the opposite of what we normally need to
> do, but such an ability could prove very useful to us.
>
> Maybe I am missing something obvious.

DB2 is capable to serve via DRDA protocol to other database servers, in
particular SQL server can get data from DB2 via "SQL Server Integration
services" wich as long as I know has only implemented the client side, not
being able  to serve via DRDA. DRDA Was designed by IBM for DB2 but it is
also an open protocol.

Of course Iseries and all other implementations of DB2 can act as servers
and clients.

http://www.opengroup.org/comm/press/26oct98.htm

<dwise@lcor.com> escribi� en el mensaje
> We have most of our data on Iseries and have that data accessible to
> external clients via ODBC, service programs, etc.
>
> However in some cases we have external data that is being used and
> maintained either in Microsoft Access Databases, MS-SQL servers, (I
> guess Oracle and MySQL might be other sources but not in our case).
>
> Is there any way to set up the Iseries so that it can treat that
> (external windows database) data as though it were local, in the same
> way that an external client can treat the AS400/Iseries data as though
> it were local.
>
> I have not seen the description or setup information for such a
> connection.  It is sort of the opposite of what we normally need to
> do, but such an ability could prove very useful to us.
>
> Maybe I am missing something obvious.

0
ninguno (33)
5/14/2007 9:39:14 AM
Commercial product SQL iPlug provides access to external databases from
iSeries native programs.
Take a look at http://www.easycom-aura.com/us/SQL_iPlug.asp

Sylvain

<dwise@lcor.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
1178905946.291453.84290@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> We have most of our data on Iseries and have that data accessible to
> external clients via ODBC, service programs, etc.
>
> However in some cases we have external data that is being used and
> maintained either in Microsoft Access Databases, MS-SQL servers, (I
> guess Oracle and MySQL might be other sources but not in our case).
>
> Is there any way to set up the Iseries so that it can treat that
> (external windows database) data as though it were local, in the same
> way that an external client can treat the AS400/Iseries data as though
> it were local.
>
> I have not seen the description or setup information for such a
> connection.  It is sort of the opposite of what we normally need to
> do, but such an ability could prove very useful to us.
>
> Maybe I am missing something obvious.

0
srubele (8)
5/16/2007 7:18:42 AM
If you're open to commercial options, check out our RPG2SQL Integrator
software.

You can read/write data from any RPG program to SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL or
any other database accessible via ODBC/ADO.

Takes about 15 minutes to install and get started.

For more information check out our web site or feel free to contact me
directly to discuss.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Get the information you need. Now!"
Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 898-3038
Fax: (952) 898-1781
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

<dwise@lcor.com> wrote in message
> We have most of our data on Iseries and have that data accessible to
> external clients via ODBC, service programs, etc.
>
> However in some cases we have external data that is being used and
> maintained either in Microsoft Access Databases, MS-SQL servers, (I
> guess Oracle and MySQL might be other sources but not in our case).
>
> Is there any way to set up the Iseries so that it can treat that
> (external windows database) data as though it were local, in the same
> way that an external client can treat the AS400/Iseries data as though
> it were local.
>
> I have not seen the description or setup information for such a
> connection.  It is sort of the opposite of what we normally need to
> do, but such an ability could prove very useful to us.
>
> Maybe I am missing something obvious.

0
richard890 (194)

AS400 to AS400 connection

AS400 iSeries Access ODBC Driver
I am working with VB.NET version 8 and AS400 (V5R3). I used the ODBC client "iSeries Access ODBC Driver", version 10.00.03.00, file CWBODBC.DLL to establish a connection to the AS400. Then with the Data Source Configuration Wizard, I got the error "ERROR [HY000] [IBM][iSeries Access ODBC Driver][DB2 UDB]SQL0901 - SQL system error". Can someone help me on this issue? Jean wrote: > I am working with VB.NET version 8 and AS400 (V5R3). > I used the ODBC client "iSeries Access ODBC Driver", version > 10.00.03.00, file CWBODBC.DLL to establish a connection to the AS400. > Then with the Data Source Configuration Wizard, I got the error > "ERROR [HY000] [IBM][iSeries Access ODBC Driver][DB2 UDB]SQL0901 - > SQL system error". > > Can someone help me on this issue? > If the connection is successful, you may want to look at the job log on the server (iSeries), which often will contain more detailed information in the form of messages, if the failure is on the server. The server job will have a name of the form nnnnnn/QUSER/QZDASOINIT. On a 5250 ("green screen") command line after connecting from the client, try this to find the job: wrkactjob job(qzda*) Use option 5 (Work with), then option 10 (Display job log), then F10 (Display detailed messages). -- Karl Hanson Jean wrote: > I am working with VB.NET version 8 and AS400 (V5R3). > I used the ODBC client "iSeries Access ODBC Driver&...

Connecting to AS400 running on IBM with MS Access
Hello All, I've been struggling on and off for 3 months trying to connect to an DB2 database running on an IBM iSeries machine. I FINALLY figured out how to connect with Coldfusion (see instructions below). So, now I am trying to connect to the same database with MS Access. I want to link the tables within Access so I can quickly query and answer questions. The problem is that I HAVE NO IDEA how to do this. I'm familiar with linking tables to other databases (MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle), but I've never done it for IBM DB2 (I'm not even familiar with the IB...

IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries database access problem
When I run the following vb.net code, I'm not able to acces the my database AMFLIB. I use to be able to access AMFLIB with the old ODBC driver from IBM iSeries Access but now I want to use the new managed IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries data provider from iSeries Access V5R3. When I remove Database=AMFLIB from the connection string, I can connect but as soon as I try to specify a known database (like my good old AMFLIB) I get the following error: IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.iDB2ConnectionFailedException "The connection cannot be opened because an error ocurred." I'm running IBM iSeries Access V5R3 and my server is V5R2. When I don't specify a database, after the connection is open the database property is set to AS400REM. I don't know if this database is a real database specific to my company. ****************************************** Imports IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries Dim cn As New iDB2Connection Try TestConnection.ConnectionString = _ "DataSource=AS400;UserID=xxxx;Password=xxxx;Database=AMFLIB" TestConnection.Open() If TestConnection.State = ConnectionState.Open Then MsgBox("Database: " & TestConnection.Database) TestConnection.Close() End If Catch ex As Exception MsgBox(ex.Message) End Try ****************************************** Thanks to all Running higher version of ISERIES Access than the OS is probably not a good idea. Yanik Reid wrote: > When I run the following vb.net code, I'm not able ...

IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries database access problem
When I run the following vb.net code, I'm not able to acces the my database AMFLIB. I use to be able to access AMFLIB with the old ODBC driver from IBM iSeries Access but now I want to use the new managed IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries data provider from iSeries Access V5R3. When I remove Database=AMFLIB from the connection string, I can connect but as soon as I try to specify a known database (like my good old AMFLIB) I get the following error: IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.iDB2ConnectionFailedException "The connection cannot be opened because an error ocurred." I'm runn...

AS400 database connectivity(aka iSeries, i5, System i)
I am looking for a working open-source RUBY example that demonstrates how to connect to an AS400 database and query a file. If someone has an example using a free AS400 account from rzkh.de that would excellent. Thank you, Frank -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.] On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Frank Kany <frankkany@cinram.com> wrote: > I am looking for a working open-source RUBY example that demonstrates > how to connect to an AS400 database and query a file. > > If someo...

AS400 to AS400 data transfer

IBM AS400

AS400 to AS400 connection issues

Iseries/AS400
Hi, What software do I need to make the files in AS400 to tables in Microsoft Access? My hope is to query information from Access, instead of running queries in AS/400 then exporting the data manuall, then importing the data to Excel. Any help will be greatly appreciated. James Mos.StaLL@gmail.com writes: > What software do I need to make the files in AS400 to tables in > Microsoft Access? My hope is to query information from Access, > instead of running queries in AS/400 then exporting the data manuall, > then importing the data to Excel. Any help will be greatly > appreciated. The iSeries software package for your PC contains an ODBC-driver which Access should be able to use to do a remote connection. I believe that currently it is called "IBM iSeries Access for Windows". -- Thorbj�rn Ravn Andersen And if you have that software already installed, then you can select whatever columns and rows directly from Excel [under Data tab, Trsnsfer from iSeries to generate a .dtf] without first copying into tables in Access; i.e. no reason to add yet another query/copy when the intent was to eliminate that type of activity in the first place. Regards, Chuck -- All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind whatsoever. Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote: > Mos.StaLL@gmail.com writes: > >> What software do I need to make the files in AS400 to tables in >> Microsoft Access? My hope is to query informa...

Constant com.ibm.as400.access.jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_JOB_QUEUE
I am using the following code to try and return a list of jobs that sre running in QBATCH5 --- QSYSObjectPathName path = new QSYSObjectPathName("QGPL","QBATCH1","JOBQ"); jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_PRIMARY_JOB_STATUS_ACTIVE, Boolean.TRUE); jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_PRIMARY_JOB_STATUS_OUTQ , Boolean.FALSE); jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(JobList.SELECTION_JOB_QUEUE, path.getPath()); For some reason it brings back a list of my Active jobs that show up in WRKACTJOB... Shouldn't jobList.addJobSelectionCriteria(Jo...

com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionHandle.getMetaData(AS400JDBCConnectionHandle.java:330)
Hi, I am running a web app on WAS 5.0 on Linux connecting to iSeries V5R2 for DB2 access using the tool box driver. Most of the time this works fine but occasionally I get the stuff listed below. When this happens the app just crashes out. Its weird because this happens on pages that where running fine 5 minutes ago. It appears like my connections are going stale but my app thinks they are fine. There is no firewall between the two boxes so I cant blame it on the firewall killing the connection. Has anyone seen this before or am I totally off on the wrong track. Any help would be most appreciated. BTW It does not seem to happen when running on WAS 5.0 on the iseries but then its on the same machine and the drivers local. Mutley. [03.08.21 14:14:10:162 BST] 6bcc1e57 WebGroup X Servlet Error: : java.lang.NullPointerException at com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCConnectionHandle.getMetaData(AS400JDBCConnecti onHandle.java:330) at com.ibm.ejs.cm.pool.ConnectO.getMetaData(ConnectO.java:2121) at com.ibm.ejs.cm.proxy.ConnectionProxy.getMetaData(ConnectionProxy.java:572) at com.ibm.db.db.base.DatabaseConnection.getConnectionMetaData(DatabaseConnecti on.java(Compiled Code)) at com.ibm.db.db.base.DatabaseConnection.disconnect(DatabaseConnection.java) at com.ibm.db.db.DatabaseConnection.disconnect(DatabaseConnection.java) at com.ibm.db.beans.DBSelect.close(DBSelect.java) at com.ibm.db.beans.DBSelect.close(DBSelect.java) at com.kdpsoftware.landmark.LogIn.LogInQuery.close(LogInQ...

declare global temporary table with com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver
Hello. V5R2 I try to create global temporary table in my Windows java application: ((java.sql.Connection) conn).createStatement().execute("declare global temportary table test (c1 integer)"); With COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver it works, but with com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver I get such SQLException: --start-- java.sql.SQLException: [PWS9801] Function rejected by user exit program IMBEPSQL in QUSRSYS. Cause . . . . . : User exit program IMBEPSQL in library QUSRSYS called for the function and returned an indication that the function should not be done. Recovery . . . : Determine why the user exit program rejected the function, correct the problem, and run the function again. --end--- ((SQLException) ex).getErrorCode() = -101 ((SQLException) ex).getSQLState() = "HY001" Is it possible to declare tables with this driver? Sincerely, Mark B ...

AS400 to AS400 data transfer #2
Hi I need to place a trigger on a set of tables on an AS400 to fire off whenever new records are added to these tables. This trigger program will then transfer the data to another AS400 across a WAN. This will allow us to transfer orders from one system to another. Can anyone tell me how I would achieve this. Normally if it had been a PC I would have used an ODBC type application but I am not sure what is available to me for AS400 to AS400 data transfer. I know that we can transfer a SAVF by FTP but this is not a route I would like to go down. I would prefer to populate tables directly if possible. We are using 2 model 820's with OS400 V5 R2 Thanks for any help offered Iain ...

MS Access Script to import data from external mde database to mdb database
Hi, Does anyone know of a way I can write a script that imports a table from a particular .mde file? I don't seen any obvious way to do it as a macro. Any suggestions if it can be done as a macro or as a written module? My ultimate goal is to have script that clears info out of 1 table in an .mdb file, imports an identically structured table from a .mde file, runs an append query I have in place to copy the data from the imported table to the table in my.mbd file, and then delete the imported table. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. Best wishes, George Hadley ghadley_00@yahoo.com With DBEngine(0)(0) .Execute "DELETE * FROM Suppliers WHERE SupplierID IN (SELECT SupplierID FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers)" .Execute "INSERT INTO Suppliers SELECT * FROM Northwind.mde.Suppliers" End With Is this code I would run as a module? Yes or you could use the strings in two separate saved queries. ...

Tifflib on Iseries / As400
I'm trying to use tifflib to convert TIFFs to PDF. It works fine, but the resulting image is scaled down on the page about half size. Does any one help me ?? Hi, Most likely the pdf document created by the conversion process you have outlined will end up as a raster image (dot pattern) at a fixed resolution (dots per inch or dots per centimeter). If the printing process you executed was not able to match the resolution of the pdf document and the resolution active within the printer, a higher resolution active within the printer (more dots per inch or centimeter than what was used in the pdf document) will cause the document to shrink as you have described. HTH Best Regards, /Paul -- Paul Tykodi Principal Consultant TCS - Tykodi Consulting Services LLC E-mail: ptykodi@tykodi.com On 11 Mar 2005 23:49:53 -0800, gio.cot@virgilio.it wrote: >I'm trying to use tifflib to convert TIFFs to PDF. It works fine, but >the resulting image is scaled down on the page about half size. > > >Does any one help me ?? ...

access as400 folder
Hi, One user asked access for the folder on as400. I added him on the system distribution directory and gave him authority. But still he is not able to access and after entering paddword and user id, he is coming back to pasword as highlighted.Please help Royy I am not sure if this is the same but I have had issues like this in the past accessing the folder through Windows Explorer. I experienced the same thing if my Windows password(assuming you're using Windows) was different than the passsword on the AS/400. It usually took about 3 times of me clicking OK before I could access the folder. Also, after so many attempts my AS/400 locks the account and logs a message to QSYSOPR. You have to do a CHGUSRPRF command to clear the lock. What I hv done, added the user in system ditribution directory. User is not having id on as400 box. But he is WRKDIRE. Please advice how he will be able to access that folder and which id he wud be using. Royy It is my understanding that if you are not using a valid AS/400 userid you can enable a GUEST account. I am not sure of the security risks associated with this. Go to the IBM support website for iSeries: http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/support/iseries/ and search for Configuring AS/400 NetServer to Use a GUEST Profile. ...

Accessing the AS400 with a Macintosh
We have an AS400 running V5R3. The Windows users are using I-Series Access for windows version 5.7. I have a user that has just bought a new macintosh and wants to access the AS400 from it. It's one of my bosses, so i'm not going to suggest he put a windows partition on his mac. Does anyone have any suggestions of software he can get that allows that? Thank you for any help or suggestions you can give. Scott Zoomer said the following on 18.lipanj 2007 19:55: > We have an AS400 running V5R3. The Windows users are using I-Series > Access for windows version 5.7. > > I have a user that has just bought a new macintosh and wants to access > the AS400 from it. It's one of my bosses, so i'm not going to suggest > he put a windows partition on his mac. > > Does anyone have any suggestions of software he can get that allows > that? http://www.mochasoft.dk/tn5250macx.htm http://tn5250.sourceforge.net/ Compile from source http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/ Java version might also work -- Dejan Rodiger - PGP ID 0xAC8722DC Delete wirus from e-mail address ...

From a AS400 with a CCSID to another AS400 with different CCSID
Hi all, I've the following issue: - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) to another AS400 with CCSID 37 I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in the special characters... So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... What do you suggest to do? Many thanks in advance. Fabrizio On 09-Jun-2011 05:47 , Fabrizio wrote: > > I've the following issue: > > - I have to move data from a AS400 with CCSID 65535 (no conversion) > to another AS400 with CCSID 37 > > I'm using DDM files on the second AS400 linked to the first AS400, > but reading DDM files I have the problem that data are different in > the special characters... > > So I changed my job session CCSID to 65535 with CHGJOB; with that I > can see correctly DDM files data, but not the local files... > > What do you suggest to do? > The system CCSID QCCSID is effectively moot in that scenario as far as I can recall. What do matter are the CCSID of the job opening the file and then reading the data, and the CCSID of the columns of the file being opened. When the job is set to a proper CCSID, then whenever the data is also "tagged" properly with a CCSID [e.g. column of a table with a non-hex (non-65535) CCSID], the database will convert the dat...

AS400 client access
Newbie, I have an as400 software I think is version 3 r 2. What I need is to be able to either put a nic ( ethernet ) in it or use windows xp pro to access the devices. Windows 98 are on the clients now and they are connected via twin ax cabling. I know. ANyways is it possible the model is 9402. Second can I put these twinax cards into new machine and run a windows xp client access software ??? THanks Put a nic in it and use v5r1 client access express to access. If you just need terminal/printer emulation it works fine. I have used CAE v4r4 through to V5R1 on old 400 boxes with no problem. Of course try it out before you jump too far. Good Luck Bill "Ryan" <burnabyryan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vr5gca2pskb029@corp.supernews.com... > Newbie, > > I have an as400 software I think is version 3 r 2. What I need is to be able > to either put a nic ( ethernet ) in it or > use windows xp pro to access the devices. Windows 98 are on the clients now > and they are connected via twin ax cabling. I know. ANyways is it possible > the model is 9402. > > Second can I put these twinax cards into new machine and run a windows xp > client access software ??? > > THanks > > I think you must at least be at v3r7 to get tcp/ip to work. Rikkie "Bill cogeco.net>" <bwragg@<nospam> wrote in message news:jjCsb.48$ge.20540@read2.cgocable.net... > Put a nic in it and use v5r1 client access express t...

DSKUSE in iSeries AS400
Hi, im new here, and im new on the system, i would like to ask on how to enroll libraries and objects in DSKUSE. any ideas? thank you.. ...

Open Access Database Form from within Access database
I have included the following code to open an Access database form from within an exsisting Access database. But when I run the code, it appears that it opens the database because in windows explorer I can see the database has the .ldb file extension. So it appears that it's open, but I can't see the database or the form that I've tried to open. What am I doing wrong. The following is the code: 'This is in the declaration part of the module Dim appAccess As Access.Application ' Initialize string to database path. Const strConPathToSamples = "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Careset Data Verification\Error Log Database.mdb" strDB = strConPathToSamples & "Error Log Database.mdb" ' Create new instance of Microsoft Access. Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application") ' Open database in Microsoft Access window. appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strConPathToSamples ' Open form. appAccess.DoCmd.OpenForm "Import Error Logs", acNormal Thanks in advanced, bailee220 -- Posted via http://dbforums.com After these lines of code: ' Create new instance of Microsoft Access. Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application") ' Open database in Microsoft Access window. appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase strConPathToSamples '-->you need to place this line of code appAccess.Visible = True '<--missing this line here Rich *** Sent via Develop...

Web resources about - Iseries/AS400 access to external databases - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Crate Raises $4M for New Container Database Technology
The founder of Docker Inc. invests in new technology that provides a very different and very distributed way to build a container database.