Printing from an AS400 to a Windows or Unix printer

Is it possible to get an as400 (v4r5) to use a printer connected to a
windows box sharing its printer or a unix box accepting network printer
connections? If so, are there any good docs or links that discuss some
of the options?  Thanks.

0
mlutgen (1)

Hi,  Check out Brooks Internet Software, www.brooksnet.com for some very
good yet reasonable LPR/LPD products supporting AS/400.

Larry T.
The Praetorian <mlutgen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to get an as400 (v4r5) to use a printer connected to a
> windows box sharing its printer or a unix box accepting network printer
> connections?

Yes.  Remote output queues send out print jobs as lpr/lpd jobs.  You
need to have the AS/400 configured to send to the right lpd queue, and
the remote system must accept lpd jobs from the AS/400.

I gather that CRTDEVPRT is better than remote output queues, but haven't
had a version of OS/400 that provided it to try.

If the remote system is Windows XP Pro, you can load the "Print Services
For Unix" package to give it a (weak) lpd server.  This is likely to
have a high suckage factor.  I've used FreeBSD with very good results.

> If so, are there any good docs or links that discuss some
> of the options?  Thanks.

I've posted a few AS/400 remote output queue definitions here over the
last few years.  Do a groups.google.com search on my email address and
"AS400".

wblock (186)

Hello all, I'm working on a program that needs to send a print job to a printer connected to an AS/400. I've tried using the SpooledFileOutputStream and I've also tried using one of the SCS Writer classes. Neither solution is working. With the SpooledFileOutputStream I am at least able to create my print file, but when my program ends, the file is still not being printed. This program does not run on the AS400, it runs on a PC and connects to the AS400 via the toolkit classes. I know this part works as I am able to use the toolkit to access Data Queues, Files and Data Areas witho...

AS400 to AS400 connection
Hi. What`s the rocommended method of copyting data beetween two AS400 (both on V5R1) ? Regards, Tom tom wrote: > Hi. > What`s the rocommended method of copyting data beetween two AS400 (both on > V5R1) ? Probably FTP. "tom" <tomeks@comp.pl> wrote in message news:c8c9u5$fb4$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl... > Hi. > What`s the rocommended method of copyting data beetween two AS400 (both on > V5R1) ? > > Regards, > Tom > > It depends how often you are doing the copying & how much there is. If you want say one record but every 3 seconds then you...

AS400 to AS400 connection
Hi All I am creating a database trigger to write details real time from tables on one AS400 to another over our WAN. Is there such a concept as ODBC connections on the AS400 to perform this task and if so can anyone explain how I would configure such a connection. There will be a process on the receiving AS400 waiting to process the data as soon as it is received. All provious data transfer between AS400's in our organisation have been using SAVF and FTP but this is a differnet issue. Thanks in advance for any help offered Iain Iain racontait dans comp.databases....

AS400 printer - HPLJ2600N
Hi, A site in Poland has just replaced their old HP laserjet with an HP Laserjet 2600N - since doing this, nothing will print, it just sits in the OUTQ. I've stopped and started the writer, made sure the IP address is correct, and even set up a new OUTQ for the printer. They're using a remote outq (not a print device). I've set up another outq which uses the colour HP Laserjet 5500 in my office to see if it was the customising object, and it worked fine. I've tried changing the workstation customising object to be QWPHPCOLOR in library QSYS but it didn't help. Please h...

HP2600N Colour Printer
Hi all, I have set up fifty or sixty HP lasers on the AS400 and they all print quite happily. The models were HP2200/2300/4050/4100/4200/4300. I am now trying to set up my first colour laser, HP2600N, and it appears to print and disappears from the spool file on the AS400. At the laser the network light flashes, but I get no output. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone print successfully to the HP2600? This is the configuration that I am using is: - Device description . . . . . . . > HP2600TN Port number . . . . . . . . . . 9100 Online at IPL . . . . . . . . . *Y...

Printing AS400 to Windows Server 2003
I have presently a number of printers on my AS400 printing to shared printers on a Windows 2000 Server. This setup has been working fine for many years. I am installing a new print server and using Server 2003 on the new server. I cannot successfully get the files to spool form the 400 to Server 2003. I have the same shared names on my 2000 server as my 2003 server (all simple short names, no weird characters) and if I simply change the IP address back to the 2000 server, they print fine. The setup of the printers on the two servers is identical. The windows firewall is disabled so that ...

Printing to Nashua printers from iSeries AS400
Hi, I'm trying to configurate device descriptions to NASHUA D4xx-series printers but I didn't manage so far. Does anybody recognize this problem and is there a solution? Thanx Hi Willem Don't know the Nashua Printers and didn t find on the web. Usually if I can't find the Printer in HPT lists I take Epson LW2550 Emulation for matrix printers and HP4 for Laserboxes What type of printer is it? What are supported emulations How do you want to connect it to your as400? (LAN/IP, par on Workstation, par on PC, Twinax ) Daniel On 31 Jul 2003 04:18:32 -0700, willem@willemde...

as400 print que on windows 2003
I have quoted this text from another message. It is exactly the same problem I am having. We have an AS/400 that is currently printing to a Windows 2000 box using a remote outq. It basically sends an LPR request to a printer share on the windows 2000 box. This works fine. I am trying to set up a second print server, this time using Windows 2003. I change what IP address the AS/400 is sending the print to and have the printers and shares the same but the Windows 2003 box rejects the request. A look at the event log gives this information for each attempt to print: The description for...

AS400 printing to PC-connected printer
I have an Epson LX-300+ connected to a PC. I've set up a printer session using client access. The AS400 seems to ignore any of the driver, font or page settings in Windows or on the hardware. I checked "Transform print data" and chose a comparable printer, and that allows me to print in a legible font. But no martter what paper size I choose, whether it be in the hardware setting, the printer setup in Windows or in the "transform print data" selection, it seems to ignore paper size setting. This results in only the first line being lined up, and each line after is abo...

PC Document Printing On AS400 Twinax Printers
I was wondering if anyone has setup and printed pc documents onto the as400 printer. If so the setup they use to accomplish this task. Thanks You can try: In Operations Navigator, Open the system, go into Basic Operations, Printers, right click on the printer and create a share for the printer. Now add a network printer as \\TheAS400IpAddress\TheShareName on the PC. Jim "BNEAL" <bryan@diversifiedcomputer.com> wrote in message news:1116338029.678272.180930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I was wondering if anyone has setup and printed pc documents onto the > a...

Printing from TRU64 Unix to Windows 2000 Printer Queue
I need to configure my Windows 2000 AD Server to accept print jobs from a Tru64 Unix system. I have installed Services for Unix and set the port to be an LPR port in the printer properties. Based on the documentation I found, this should be sufficient to respond to lpr -P<myserver> -S<printershare>. However, nothing ever appears in the printer queue for this printer. The printer itself is configured as a "local" TCPIP port and printing from Windows to this printer queue to the printer works fine. Thanks, Mike Ober. Mike, Do you have an appropriat...

Print to AS400
I inherited a system which sends a print job to AS400 print queue. I recently migrated the server from Solaris 8 to Solaris 9. I checked the configuration and everything looks OK, but it still isn't sending the file to the AS400 server. /etc/printers.conf usbax7.frmunix|frmunix:\ :bsdaddr=usbax7,frmunix,Solaris: pbaxsnd05# lpstat -p usbax7.frmunix printer usbax7.frmunix unknown state. enabled since Jul 05 09:33 2006. available. pbaxsnd05# lpstat -o usbax7.frmunix I tried to send the same print job, the print job just hung. pbaxsnd05# lpr -P usbax7.frmunix -1 /pd05m00/logs...

AS400 Printing
Hello, I have an HP Laserjet 4200 printer with 3 trays, configured on my network. How do I set it up so that any AS400 spool file with formtype A4 automatically prints from the 3rd tray on the bottom and anything else with formtype *ALL or *STD prints out of the 2nd tray? Maybe someone has experienced the same thing and could head me into the right direction. Thanks, Shannon Go to Knowledge Base. http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/slkbase Search for "tray" or "drawer". Do some experimenting. Default drawer in a spoolfile is "1". In which tray does th...

IBM AS400

Web resources about - Printing from an AS400 to a Windows or Unix printer - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

Napa Valley Register Bids Farewell to Massive Printing Press
There is a wonderful analogy articulated in Napa Valley Register city editor Kevin Courtney ’s account of the end of the in-house printing era ...

Firefox 44 adds H.264 video support on desktop, supports cloud printing on Android
... its heels. Like the previous release, the most visible changes are reserved for the mobile build. Android users gain support for cloud printing ...

This 3D printing pen is just what you need to bring your art to life
3D printing is all the rage these days because it's pretty awesome to make your concepts into a physical reality, and having a 3D printing pen ...

Stratasys Partners with Adobe to Broaden Adoption of 3D Printing with New Color Experience and Simplified ...
Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq:SSYS), the 3D printing and additive manufacturing solutions company, today announced that it has taken color 3D printing ...

Worldwide spending on 3D printing forecast to grow at a CAGR of 27% to more than US$26 billion in 2019 ...
According to IDC, global spending on 3D printing will grow at a 27% CAGR from nearly US$11 billion in 2015 to US$26.7 billion in 2019.

ICYMI: Printing in 4D, solar panel breakthrough and more
Today on In Case You Missed It: Scientists at Harvard have figured out how to print incredibly small, shape-shifting creations out of hydrogel ...

8 Hot 3D Printing Trends to Watch in 2016
Even as the overhyped consumer 3D printing market continues to fall back down to earth, 2016 looks to be a breakout year for the industry assenior ...

Airbus Ventures dips into $150 million fund to back 3-D printing at Local Motors
Airbus Ventures, the European aerospace giant’s Silicon Valley spin-off, says the first investment from its $150 million venture fund is going ...

New Research Sheds Light on 3D Printing Fumes
... a lot of people in the community, the science wasn’t entirely conclusive — one paper made it sound like you needed a hazmat suit for 3D printing, ...