Query/400 String to nummeric

Hi!

I've got a problem converting a string value in a nummeric value:
converting nummerin ino string is not a problem
field1    digits(field2)

does anybody know the other way?

Thanks
Michael
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9198 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

"Michael" <jovicevic_m@dsdohmen.de> a �crit dans le message de news: ca50984b.0307020128.14ae06b7@posting.google.com...
> Hi!
>
> I've got a problem converting a string value in a nummeric value:
> converting nummerin ino string is not a problem
> field1    digits(field2)
>
> does anybody know the other way?
>
> Thanks
> Michael

Maybe you can find a workaround in the embedded SQL statements of a Qmqry instead.
Use RTVQMQRY and CRTQMQRY commands and allow information from your QRYDFN.
HTH
Mercury

If you're using SQL maybe something like this would help:
SELECT field1, CAST(field2 as CHAR(10)) AS charfield2 FROM mytable

> I've got a problem converting a string value in a nummeric value:
> converting nummerin ino string is not a problem
> field1    digits(field2)
0
budimlic (202)
7/2/2003 2:55:58 PM
Michael wrote:
> I've got a problem converting a string value in a nummeric value:
> converting nummerin ino string is not a problem
> field1    digits(field2)
>
> does anybody know the other way?

http://mcpressonline.com/mc?14@44.6Tfxazekbxg.6@.f00945e/4

Bill

"Bill Z Bubb" <billzbubbXXX@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<bdvl4v$11ktq1$1@ID-91878.news.dfncis.de>...
> Michael wrote:
> > I've got a problem converting a string value in a nummeric value:
> > converting nummerin ino string is not a problem
> > field1    digits(field2)
> >
> > does anybody know the other way?
>
> http://mcpressonline.com/mc?14@44.6Tfxazekbxg.6@.f00945e/4
>
> Bill

CONVERTING CHARACTER DATA TO NUMERIC IN QUERY/400
Query/400 does not provide a native method for converting character data to
numeric, but with the following hack, the conversion is possible. I have a
character field (four digits) that's used for generic purposes in a
particular database file. Although the field's format is character, the
field sometimes represents numeric data. To perform math operations on such
data in Query, you must first convert the field to numeric. By using the
MICROSECOND keyword in the Define Result Fields section of Query, you can
convert the character data to a numeric field for later use in calculations.

For example, create a field called TIMESTAMP using Query's Define Result
Fields panel, specifying

'1988-12-25-17.30.00.00' || CHARFIELD4

in the panel's Expression column. The field CHARFIELD4 in this example
represents a four-digit character field containing the characters 0 (zero)
through 9 (nine).

Next, use the MICROSECOND keyword on the TIMESTAMP field to create a numeric
copy of CHARFIELD4's character data. Here's what the Define Result Fields
panel will look like:

Field     Expression                           Column Heading Len Dec
TIMESTAMP '1988-12-25-17.30.00.00' || CHARFIELD4               26
NUMERIC6  MICROSECOND(TIMESTAMP)                                6   0

The MICROSECOND keyword takes the six rightmost digits in the TIMESTAMP
field and converts them to numeric. In the example, the character field is
only four digits long, so 00 is concatenated with the character field to
create a valid timestamp with six digits of milliseconds.

If a given character field is larger than six digits, you'll need to break
down the above process into multiple steps and perform a math operation on
the individual numeric components to combine them.

AS400 Queries with out a existing query
Wondered if you could jog my memory a bit. Its been years since I've worked on an AS400. I recall there is a way to issue a QUERY command to have it list the data with in a file with out creating an entire query. I thought it was a QUERY *N .... but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks for any help. Try: runqry *n libname/filename A Switzer wrote: > Wondered if you could jog my memory a bit. > > Its been years since I've worked on an AS400. > > I recall there is a way to issue a QUERY command to have it list the > data with in a file with out creating an entire query. > > I thought it was a QUERY *N .... but that doesn't seem to work. > > Thanks for any help. Thats the one, Thank You! janssen_@hotmail.com (A Switzer) wrote in message news:<65116016.0408261509.497cfbb8@posting.google.com>... > Wondered if you could jog my memory a bit. > > Its been years since I've worked on an AS400. > > I recall there is a way to issue a QUERY command to have it list the > data with in a file with out creating an entire query. > > I thought it was a QUERY *N .... but that doesn't seem to work. > > Thanks for any help. ...

IBM AS/400 9402-400 #2130 OS/400 5.1 on EBAY # 5749373423
Thank you. ...

Query re: apache and URL query strings
Our website uses the standard query string arrangement: something.php?this=1&that=2 We're in the process of moving over to an alternate arrangment utilizing apache's lookback function. something/999/00/456 My question is: If the second example is more search engine friendly why don't all sites running apache use this method? Is there a performance hit that I missed in my reading or some security issue related to the second example? kb I don't think there's any performance issues except with the fact that you have to parse your "query" into your own variables. While this is almost certainly negligable, it's not quite as fast as PHP's compiled execution of the GET query parsing. I think the reason a lot of sites don't use it is because it requires a global configuration in Apache. (The <Location> directive can not be used in an .htaccess file--found out the hard way.) Therefore, if you're hosting your site on someone else's server, it's not always very easy to get them to add a global directive to their config. It also makes reusable PHP applications less "portable" because of the configuration requirements. For my personal sites, I try to stick to using the directory notation instead of the GET strings just because it makes it look more professional. It's also a nice way to add about 2% more security to your site since it's not very easy to find out what server-side execution environ...

AS400/ CONTRACT/ MIGRATION-400 TO 400/ IMMEDIATE
OMNI GROUP tgugger@buckeye-express.com 419-380-8853 AS400 ANALYST/ CONTRACT/ IMMEDIATE/ FL We need someone to be on the job BEFORE Oct 1, 2004. If you can not do this, Do not apply. The location is near FT. Lauderdale, FL. The rate is $45hr (1099) Plus expenses. (Room, food, transportation to site�and home when completed) Duration is ten wks. A company is moving to anothe...

Strings, Strings and Damned Strings
I have an int variable (always <100) that I want to convert to a two character string, e.g. if myint = 1, mystr = "01" if myint = 81, mystr = "81" At the moment I can't figure out how to do this cleanly. Then I wish to push a bunch of these strings into an array, for example: typedef char LABEL[3]; LABEL mystrArray[100]; But having read a couple of tutorials I am still no clearer on the best way to do an "array of strings" in this situation, nor how to do it. Any help much appreciated! cheers, Ben Ben wrote: > I have an int variable (always &...

Query Query
I'm new to Access (and databases in general) and have the following problem.... TABLE_A is basically just a list of events occurring on a system. It has fields; "EVENT_ID" (auto number), "EVENT_TIME", "EVENT_DESCRIPTION". TABLE_B is a list of activities that are undertaken in reaction to the events of TABLE_A. It has fields; "ACTIVITY_ID" (auto number) "ACTIVITY_TIME", "ACTIVITY_DESCRIPTION", "SOURCE_EVENT". "EVENT_ID" in TABLE_A is linked with "SOURCE_EVENT" in TABLE_B, allowing me to build a query that shows me all the activities relating to a certain event. So far, so good. The problem is that an event in TABLE_A can be a "child" of another event in TABLE_A. Each event can only have one parent, however it's parent may also have a parent, ad infinitum. Also, each event may have several children. Ideally, I would like to add one extra field to TABLE_A such that if an event has a parent, it can be identified. We then have fields; "EVENT_ID" (auto number), "EVENT_TIME", "EVENT_DESCRIPTION", "EVENT_PARENT". NOW FOR THE QUESTION!!!!!! If I wanted to show all the activities relating to an event and its children, I could write some VBA code to mash through TABLE_A, determine all the descendents of the event (if any) and then make a query. But, is there a way to do this using the normal MS Access query GUI? I'm happy to re-...

Query/400
Does anyone know how to convert characters to numbers in Query/400?!? Specifically, taking a character date field and converting it to a numeric date field. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. DN. DannyN wrote: > Does anyone know how to convert characters to numbers in Query/400?!? > Specifically, taking a character date field and converting it to a > numeric date field. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. > DN. > Firstly you may need to re-arrange the field to match your system date format. In query use F17 (I think - not near a server atm) in define results fields to check your system date format. Then if necessary 'substr' your date field into day month year (or whatever) then 'concatenate' including a delimiter such as / between day month and year. Once you've done that you should be able to use the 'date' function in define results fields to create a true date field. Angus DannyN wrote: > Does anyone know how to convert characters to numbers in Query/400?!? > Specifically, taking a character date field and converting it to a > numeric date field. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. > DN. > From the query result field prompt: Field Expression Column Heading CHAR_DATE DIGITS(NUMERIC_YYYYMMDD) Numeric date converted to ...

Query in AS 400
Hi! I am trying to accomplish something in a query on the AS400. I have two fields: LNAME which is the last name FNAME which is the first name how do i create these two as one is LNAME is SMITH and FNAME is BOB I would like to create it as SMITH, BOB I used the || in define views and entered the following: LNAME || '," || FNAME but I get SMITH ,BOB It is taking into consideration all of the spaces for the field size... how do I over come this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. On Mar 31, 8:17 am, lcollin...@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi! > > I am trying to accomplish something in a query on the AS400. I have > two fields: > > LNAME which is the last name > FNAME which is the first name > > how do i create these two as one > > is LNAME is SMITH and FNAME is BOB > > I would like to create it as SMITH, BOB > > I used the || in define views and entered the following: > > LNAME || '," || FNAME > > but I get SMITH ,BOB > > It is taking into consideration all of the spaces for the field > size... how do I over come this. > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. What kind of query? SQL? That one's easy: rtrim(LNAME) || ', ' || FNAME Note there's a space following the comma. If you mean how to do this in a QUERY/400 query, I don't know a way to trim trailing blanks. On Mar 31, 1:32=A0pm, Jonathan Ball <notgen...@...

IBM AS400

String query
I'm trying to compare two fields in a table. If the whole of the first field is found somewhere within the second field, I need to output the second field into a third field.. e.g. Field1 = abcd Field2 = xyzabcdefg Since Field1 is found within Field2, Field3 =xyzabcdefg I 'm able to do this if the wholecontents of Field1 exactly matches the whole contents of Field2, viz - Field3: IIF([Field1] = [Field2],[Field2],"") However, I can't get this expression to recognise when Field1 matches only part of Field2. Regards Bernadette [Field3] =IIf(Instr([Field2],[Field1)>0,[Field2],"") -- Fred Please reply only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail. "Bernadette Houghton" <bhoughton@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:eV5db.483$lk1.13845@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au... > I'm trying to compare two fields in a table. If the whole of the first field > is found somewhere within the second field, I need to output the second > field into a third field.. > > e.g. > > Field1 = abcd > > Field2 = xyzabcdefg > > Since Field1 is found within Field2, Field3 =xyzabcdefg > > I 'm able to do this if the wholecontents of Field1 exactly matches the > whole contents of Field2, viz - Field3: IIF([Field1] = [Field2],[Field2],"") > > However, I can't get this expression to recognise when Field1 matches only > part of Field2. > > Regards > > Bernadett...

String or string
I am doing something where I do=20 If "force" || "spells" Puts "blah" When I use it it gives a warning about comparing strings, what's happening a= nd how do I fix it? Scratch.mit.edu. Go there! -gbear605= It doesn't seem to mind if those are pre-assigned ... ruby-1.9.2-p0 > if "force" || "spells" ruby-1.9.2-p0 ?> puts "blah" ruby-1.9.2-p0 ?> end (irb):3: warning: string literal in condition (irb):3: warning: string literal in condition blah => nil ruby-1.9.2-p0 > f = "forc...

when string is not a string
Curious javascript sample. Consider the following code: var s = "asd" var f = function() { return typeof(this) } An expression typeof(s) returns true (as it is expected), but f.call(s) returns false! To make matters worse consider the following snippet: var s = "asd" var f = function() { return this instanceof String } An expression f.call(s) returns true, but (s instanceof String) returns false! The question is why call transforms this to an object? Is it made for unification, e.g. to make this iterable using 'for (var i in this)' loop?...

Re: sql query problem: joining on a string within a string
Hi Neerav, The "cartesian not optimized" is not an error, it is just a NOTE when you join tables with the comma. It is not signifying that anything is wrong. Your code actually is fine syntactically. However, using the CONTAINS could potentially generate incorrect matches. I would suggest either pre-prep'ing a temporary column if speed is essential or just changing to use the SUBSTR to get exact matches. e.g. proc sql ; create table aaa as select a.familyid, b.clientid from pro as a, client as b where substr(b.clientid,3,5) eq a.familyid; quit; One more note, is that the cartesian join is the "intersection" of the two tables. If you have any records on either side that do not find a match then those orphaned records will NOT be in your result. This is not a problem, just something you need to know that is okay for your situation. Otherwise you may need to choose which table is the master to keep ALL records in, and you could adjust the query to use LEFT JOIN. e.g. proc sql ; create table aaa as select a.familyid, b.clientid from pro as a left join client as b on substr(b.clientid,3,5) eq a.familyid; quit; Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Neerav Monga Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 1:12 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subje...

Query String

Query 400/SQL 400 Contract Position Available in NJ Immediately!
I have the following position available immediately & I wanted to see if you or anyone you know of might be interested. Please let me know what you think! JOB DESCRIPTION: Strong SQL Query, Cobol, fluent English both verbal and written, tech design skills, MS Office tools, production supt on call reqd. Preferred: iSeries/AS400, DataStage, SQL (create, insert, update), CL, DDS, data warehousing, data modeling, extract/ transformation/ load, lifecycle dev, requirements dev, Analysis and Documentation. Nice to have: RPG, Crystal Reports, financial industry experience, job scheduler. Duration: May 01 2007 to Oct 01 2007 Location: MONTVALE, NJ If interested, please send a word copy of your resume along with rate requirements, availability and work authorization status. Thank you very much & I look forward to hearing from you! Regards, Crista ...

Re: sql query problem: joining on a string within a string #2
Neerav did not indicate how big his tables are. That is critical. If the orders of magnitude are both in the thousands, the cartesian size will be in the tens of millions, and may be tolerable. Then Neerav can use the nice, concise code he has. If the scale is much larger, some Plan B is necessary. It appears from later posts that Mark's code is inadequate because the CLIENTID substrings to be matched can vary in length and position. However, there are only 15 possibilities (3 characters starting in 1 through 6, 4 characters starting in 1 through 5, five characters starting in 1 through 4...

Re: sql query problem: joining on a string within a string #3
Neerav, For fast and efficient, I think, you have the problem reversed. If you can trust the birth dates they form buckets for a fast and efficient match because that matching can be done with a sort. Then the search for matching parts of ID's need only be conducted within buckets, hence the quantity of pairs to look at is relatively small compared to the Cartesian product of the files. As mark explains, this is the meaning of the euphuism "cannot be optimized". It really means "Can you help with a better strategy?" I would look at >proc sql ; >create table aaa as >select a.familyid, b.clientid >from pro as a left join client as b on a.birthdate = b,bithdate where b.clientid contains compress(a.familyid); >quit; If you cannot trust birth dates then look at other variables or combinations of them. If you cannot trust anything then make runs with various bucket formations and UNION the information. Howard, Missed you Portland, better come to SESUG. Ian Whitlock ====================== Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:54:25 -0400 Reply-To: "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM> Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" From: "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM> Subject: Re: sql query problem: joining on a string within a string Neerav did not indicate how big his tables are. That is critical. If the o...

Query 400/SQL 400 Contract Position Available in NJ Immediately! #2
I have the following position available immediately & I wanted to see if you or anyone you know of might be interested. Please let me know what you think! JOB DESCRIPTION: Strong SQL Query, Cobol, fluent English both verbal and written, tech design skills, MS Office tools, production supt on call reqd. Preferred: iSeries/AS400, DataStage, SQL (create, insert, update), CL, DDS, data warehousing, data modeling, extract/ transformation/ load, lifecycle dev, requirements dev, Analysis and Documentation. Nice to have: RPG, Crystal Reports, financial industry experience, job scheduler. Duration: May 01 2007 to Oct 01 2007 Location: MONTVALE, NJ If interested, please send a word copy of your resume along with rate requirements, availability and work authorization status. Thank you very much & I look forward to hearing from you! ...

Huge 1988 Mainframe Hard Drive!! (IBM 9332, IBM AS/400) MainFrame Build Project video Part 1 :o)
Hi all, Just to let you know that I've just put up a video on my YouTube channel ab= out a 1988 IBM 9332 400GB mainframe hard drive that I've aquired for the pr= oject I'm just starting to put together my own IBM AS/400 mainframe in the = livingroom (yes, I'm completely insane). Please enjoy the video and leave behind any helpful comments. Also, if any= body has any technical data on the IBM 9332 or the IBM AS/400 or even any p= arts they can donate/sell at a reasonable cost, that would be much apprecia= ted :o) Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DfQZrNJKcgOE Best regards, Steve. ...

Query AS400 with ASP
Hello I'm trying a connection to AS400 with ASP pages, my problem is when I use a query like this: CommandText = "SELECT btforn, pruser FROM carg.bolef WHERE btforn=16046;" The query retuns to me all the records an not only the records with btforn=16046. Can you help me plese??? Thanks F.V. On May 24, 11:28 am, aldobe...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello > I'm trying a connection to AS400 with ASP pages, my problem is when I > use a query like this: > CommandText = "SELECT btforn, pruser FROM carg.bolef WHERE > btforn=16046;" > > The query retuns to me all the records an not only the records with > btforn=16046. > > Can you help me plese??? > Thanks > > F.V. I notice that you have an ";" inside the quotes rather than outside which looks a little strange. Otherwise the most likely cause is that somehow you are losing the WHERE clause when the query is being submitted to OS/400. Make sure you don't have any control characters in your CommandText string. If this is fine then you can use iSeries OpsNav to start a database performance monitor and monitor the SQL requests it is receiving. John Garrould ...

aliasing query strings
Fellow developers, I Am trying to find a way to alias my query strings so I can optimize my site for search engines. Currently my site is doing well in search results with my static content, but since I've switched to dynamic content (same material) the engines don't fine my stuff, not even the build in search that comes from my host. so simply, my question is, how can I change: www.anysite.com/details.php?cat=food to www.anysite.com/food.htm My site depends heavily on search engine traffic, so any help would be greatly appreciated. "Russel H" <r@h.noway> wrote in news:xdwPd.128$d%2.49@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > Fellow developers, > I Am trying to find a way to alias my query strings so I can optimize > my site for search engines. You asked the same thing in alt.comp.lang.php, where you have replies waiting. What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups? http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html Why and how to crosspost http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html -- Dave Patton Canadian Coordinator, Degree Confluence Project http://www.confluence.org/ My website: http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/ Russel H wrote: > Currently my site is doing well in search results with my static > content, but since I've switched to dynamic content (same material) > the engines don't fine my stuff, not even the build in search > that comes from my host. So let me get this straight. The ...

Query/400 definition
Hi All, I have to change my query/400s because of new file format without the hassle of typing Y to save on the Exit this Query screen and therefore rebuild the query definition for each query/400 I have in my library ( more than 2000 ! ). With S/38 I could use the CHGQRYDEF command, AS/400 hasn't this command. How can I do ? API ? Command ? Thanks to everyone. Mercury Mercury wrote: > Hi All, > I have to change my query/400s because of new file format without the hassle of typing Y to save on the Exit this Query screen and > therefore rebuild the query definition for each query/400 I have in my library ( more than 2000 ! ). With S/38 I could use the > CHGQRYDEF command, AS/400 hasn't this command. How can I do ? API ? Command ? Thanks to everyone. S/38?!! Alors, t'es un vieux clochard, toi! I don't know of any command, and I couldn't find an API. However, you can probably cut down the amount of manual work by doing the following: 1. Write a CL program to do RTVQMQRY with ALWQRYDFN(*YES) for all the queries in your library (the program first needs to do DSPOBJD MYLIB/*ALL *QRYDFN into an output file that the CL program will read with the RCVF command.) Something like this: pgm dclf qadspobj dspobjd mylib/*all *qrydfn output(*outfile) + outfile(mylib/queries) ovrdbf qadspobj mylib/queries loop: rcvf qadspobj monmsg msgid(cpf0864) exec(goto getout) rtvqmqry qmqry(mylib...

query string #3
Is there a simple php function for getting the query string, ie everything after the "?". I can't find it in the manual, but php has so many functions, I'm thinking it might exist. Jeff jeff wrote: > Is there a simple php function for getting the query string, ie > everything after the "?". > > I can't find it in the manual, but php has so many functions, I'm > thinking it might exist. > > Jeff Query string for what? You mean the GET request data? If so, check out $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']. Although it's much easier to use the $_GET array instead. The data are already parsed for you. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== $_POST is a key-value array includes all POST parameters $_GET is a key-value array includes all GET parameters $_REQUEST is a key-value array includes both gets and posts $_SERVER["QUERY_STRING"] is a string for query string, not includes ? =E5=9C=A8 Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:36:50 +0800=EF=BC=8Cjeff <jeff_thies@att.n= et> =E5=86=99=E9=81=93: > Is there a simple php function for getting the query string, ie = > everything after the "?". > > I can't find it in the manual, but php has so many functions, I'm = > thinking it might exist. > > Jeff On Oct 15, 10:19=C2=A0pm, GuangXiN &...

Web resources about - Query/400 String to nummeric - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc