RPG ILE with NULL fields

HI,

My RPG ILE app (under V5R2M0) has to "talk" with a Java app. On the
Java side, they're used to work with NULL fields. And they're expecting
me to return them NULL fields via parameters.

I do know fields in database can be NULL-capable fields. The thing,
though, is how can I define a working field to be NULL-capable.

I have to do that because instead of returning a blank field from the
database, the Java guys would rather like me to return a Null string...
and we don't want to change the same fields in the DB to be
NULL-capable...

Thx

Jack

Jack wrote:
> HI,
>
> My RPG ILE app (under V5R2M0) has to "talk" with a Java app. On the
> Java side, they're used to work with NULL fields. And they're expecting
> me to return them NULL fields via parameters.
>
> I do know fields in database can be NULL-capable fields. The thing,
> though, is how can I define a working field to be NULL-capable.
>
> I have to do that because instead of returning a blank field from the
> database, the Java guys would rather like me to return a Null string...
> and we don't want to change the same fields in the DB to be
> NULL-capable...
>
> Thx
>
> Jack

Without being able to provide an example, if you want to return a null
string then you would probably have to define the string as a pointer
variable type and if returning as a null you would:

MyJavaString = *Null;

HTH,

Jonas

0
jtemple (209)
11/30/2006 5:10:31 PM
Have you tried the BIF %nullind  ? eval  flda = %nullind("null value")

Jack wrote:
> HI,
>
> My RPG ILE app (under V5R2M0) has to "talk" with a Java app. On the
> Java side, they're used to work with NULL fields. And they're expecting
> me to return them NULL fields via parameters.
>
> I do know fields in database can be NULL-capable fields. The thing,
> though, is how can I define a working field to be NULL-capable.
>
> I have to do that because instead of returning a blank field from the
> database, the Java guys would rather like me to return a Null string...
> and we don't want to change the same fields in the DB to be
> NULL-capable...
>
> Thx
>
> Jack

Also, a NULL is simple X'00' character. It works pretty well here, and is
a very simple soultion. ;)  -Paul

In <1165018001.908302.77490@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, on 12/01/06
   at 04:06 PM, david.anderson@encompassgroup.net said:

>Have you tried the BIF %nullind  ? eval  flda = %nullind("null value")

>Jack wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> My RPG ILE app (under V5R2M0) has to "talk" with a Java app. On the
>> Java side, they're used to work with NULL fields. And they're expecting
>> me to return them NULL fields via parameters.
>>
>> I do know fields in database can be NULL-capable fields. The thing,
>> though, is how can I define a working field to be NULL-capable.
>>
>> I have to do that because instead of returning a blank field from the
>> database, the Java guys would rather like me to return a Null string...
>> and we don't want to change the same fields in the DB to be
>> NULL-capable...
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> Jack

Paul@Raulresons.com

Note that I believe there is a difference between null indicators and
what we traditionally have considered a field to be null (i.e. null
pointer).  They are not the same in my mind as a null indicator is
similar to a field defined as VARYING - there is a space at the
beginning of the field to store the current length of the variable.  I
would think the same would be true here, but I could be wrong.  I
checked the %NULLIND bif in the RPG manual but it didn't clarify to
that level of detail.

In your case (i.e. Java objects) I would imagine it is more in the vein
of null pointers.  I believe the null indicators came about because of
null support in DB2 (again, fuzzy information) and RPG programmer's
need to utilize these fields.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 05:33:35PM -0600, Paul-NO-SPAM@Raulersons.com wrote:
> Also, a NULL is simple X'00' character. It works pretty well here, and is
> a very simple soultion. ;)  -Paul

Don't you have to pass x'00' by value? And what about pointers being
larger than 8 bits? And what's with systems where NULL is *not* 0x00?

Sebastian
--
signature intentionally left blank
0
Jack wrote:

> My RPG ILE app (under V5R2M0) has to "talk" with a Java app. On the
> Java side, they're used to work with NULL fields. And they're expecting
> me to return them NULL fields via parameters.
>
> I do know fields in database can be NULL-capable fields. The thing,
> though, is how can I define a working field to be NULL-capable.
>
> I have to do that because instead of returning a blank field from the
> database, the Java guys would rather like me to return a Null string...
> and we don't want to change the same fields in the DB to be
> NULL-capable...

Can you give more details in how your RPG app is talking with the Java
app?  I'm guessing that the Java guys are using a different meaning for
"NULL" than null-capable fields in a database.

If they do mean null-capable database fields, get them to describe how
they would use the returned parameter in Java.  A bit of Java code would
be helpful (the Java definitions, the Java code that tests for the
parameter being null).  Actually, that would be helpful even if they
don't mean null-capable database fields.
0
bmorris1 (189)

Allow Data Entry if Field is Null, Disable if Field is not Null
I have a form which has a field Start Date. I want to only let the user enter a date if there is no date in the field and never be able to edit the field. I have experimented with On Enter and On Click and enabling and disabling the field but can't get it to work. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance If Isnull(Startdate)=True then 'Allow Edit else 'Dont allow Edit Madhivanan Will wrote: > I have a form which has a field Start Date. I want to only let the user > enter a date if there is no date in the field and never be able to edit the > field. I have experimented with On Enter and On Click and enabling and > disabling the field but can't get it to work. Any suggestions? Use the on current event and toss in something like the following air code: if isnull(me.txtStartDAte) = false then me.txtstartdate.locked = true 'For a little bit of fanciness use one or both of the following: me.txtStartDate.StatusBarText = "Record already created: You can't change the date" me.txtStartDate.ControlTipText = "Record already created: You can't change the date" ELSE me.txtstartdate.locked = false 'For a little bit of fanciness use one or both of the following: me.txtStartDate.StatusBarText = "Transaction/create date" me.txtStartDate.ControlTipText = "Transaction/create date" end if I prefer locking instead of enable/disable, just in case someone w...

Update field only if field is not null
My database has 2 tables: Table1 & Table2. If a field is not null on a record in table2, then the not null fields in table1 that correspond to the records in table1 needs to be updated to match the field in table2. What I have is a form that is linked to Table2. If the users want to change a field in the main database (table1), they fill the change in to the form (which is linked to table2) If there is no change to the field, they simply leave it blank and that particular field won't be updated on the main database(table1). The users can change up to 30 fields listed on the form. For example, I have a record in a Table2. Of the 30 available fields, only 3 of them are filled in and the rest are null. So I want to be able to update just those 3 fields in the main table (table2). This is easy to do if it's one record. But I'm trying to automate this process and want to be able to do this update many times for different records. I have tried to do this using a update query that has EVERY field from Table2 in it updating to EVERY corresponding field in Table1 based on a criteria of some kind. I've tried putting criteria of <>Null in the criteria of each field in the update query. But, since there is usually one field in Table2 that is null, none of the other fields are not null won't update. Also, I've tried to use an IIf statment in the Field line: something like IIf([Table2]![Field1]<>Null, [Table2]![Field1], [Table1]![Field1]). Also...

ALTSEQ with RPG III and RPG ILE pgms
Hi, I have to use the QLA10025S translation table (SRTSEQ FOR LATIN 1 SHARED CCSID 00037) in order to equally process lower/upper cases and accentuated characters. I did add the ALTSEQ(QSYS/QLA10025S) keyword in my logical file. With a RPG ILE program compiled with no special options, the alternate collating sequence just works fine. The exactly same code in RPG III does not behave the same way. I had to do some changes: 1) I added a "D" at position 26 of the H-spec 2) I compiled the RPG III pgm with the SRTSEQ(QSYS/QLA10025S) parameter. The compilation listing gave the following: DONNEES TABLE DE SEQUENCE DE TRI DE LANGUE NATIONALE Valeur en cours Valeur en entr=E9e S=E9quence de tri. . . . . . : QLA10025S QLA10025S Biblioth=E8que . . . . . . : QSYS QSYS Identificateur de langue . : FRC FRC CCSID de la table de s=E9quence de tri : 37. Nombre de caract=E8res avec modification de s=E9quence : 190. 0_ 1_ 2_ 3_ 4_ 5_ 6_ 7_ 8_ 9_ A_ B_ C_ D_ E_ F_ _0 . . . . . 6B 44 93 93 78 79 50 5D 5E 6A 7B _0 _1 . . . . 7A 89 4C 89 85 8E 52 67 85 8E 70 7C _1 _2 . . . . 85 89 85 89 86 8F 97 68 86 8F 97 7D _2 _3 . . . . 85 89 85 89 87 90 98 53 87 90 98 7E _3 _4 . . . . 85 89 85 89 88 91 99 61 88 91 99 7F _4 _5 . . . . 85 8D 85 8D 89 92 9A 5F 89 92 9A 80 _5 ...

Ile rpg/Ile C passing parameters
I wrote a Ile-c program (my first) and want to call it from an ile-rpg program. The c program has to stay in memory, i want to call it with a open/write/etc/close function. I made first a c-module (crtcmod) and made a service program (crtsrvpgm), then added to my bnddir. Compiled my ile-rpg program(crtbndrpg). When i call the rpg program the service program does not rerieve parameters. When i use crtbndc to compile (with the main function) it shows my parameters. Is there any example of a ile-c source and a ile-rpg program? or where should i start. Erik wrote: > I wrote a Ile-c program (my first) and want to call it from an ile-rpg > program. > The c program has to stay in memory, i want to call it with a > open/write/etc/close function. > > I made first a c-module (crtcmod) and made a service program (crtsrvpgm), > then added to my bnddir. > > Compiled my ile-rpg program(crtbndrpg). When i call the rpg program the > service program does not rerieve parameters. > > When i use crtbndc to compile (with the main function) it shows my > parameters. > > Is there any example of a ile-c source and a ile-rpg program? or where > should i start. Erik, Your problem might be how you prototype the C function in RPG. Switch between passing by reference and passing by value. try this. Put the following C source code in a srcmbr. call it "Test29C". #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void Dis...

Callling JAVA programs from RPG/400 or RPG?ILE
Hi, Can we call Java programs from RPG/400 or RPG/ILE? If yes, then which one is better - calling Java programs from RPG/400 or RPG/ILE? Thanks. You can call Java from RPG/ILE. One example of this is my free RPGMail tool that can be found on my website: http://mowyourlawn.com Basically it is an RPG program making use of Sun's JavaMail api's. I also believe Scott Klement has some Jakarta POI RPG interfacing (http://scottklement.com). Jarkarta/Apache's POI API allows access to Microsofts Excel spec for creating spreadsheets. HTH, Aaron Bartell http://mowyourlawn.com You can call Java programs directly from ILE RPG. I have never tried this with non-ILE RPG, and I doubt it would work. When calling any of the newer languages (Java, "c", etc.) you write a funtion prototype of the call instead of using a PLIST. The old PLIST approach of RPG passes everything by reference. With Java and "c" you need to be able to specify if you are passing by reference or by value. Most Java and "c" calls need parameters passed by value. You can specify passing by value with a function prototype. You can't with a PLIST. ...

Null fields
I have an Access 2000 database that has a table 'tblCourse' and a table 'tblRegistration'. They are linked via a Primary key 'CourseID' in 'tblCourse' to a foreign key 'CourseID' in the tblRegistration, this is a one to many relationship. The Primary key in the tblRegistration is RegistrationID. When I construct a query that has 'CourseID' and then e.g. "CountRegistrationID: IIf(IsNull(Count([tblRegistration].[RegistrationID]),0, Count([tblRegistration].[RegistrationID]))" as the two fields, it will not include the courses that have no registrations in them. What I am wanting to obtain is a list of 'all' the courses including the ones that don't have any registrations in them. Do you have any ideas as to how to do this, or is it not possible? Frustrated. Perhaps I am missing something, but can't you count the Courses in tblCourse? It'd seem to me to be awfully difficult to count non-registrations in the Registration table, unless you preallocate a record per seat in each class or something. Larry Linson Microsoft Access MVP "Craig" <cwilliamson@centacarebrisbane.net.au> wrote in message news:626a7207.0310261726.3404e8ae@posting.google.com... > I have an Access 2000 database that has a table 'tblCourse' and a > table 'tblRegistration'. > > They are linked via a Primary key 'CourseID' in 'tblCourse' to a > foreign key 'Cours...

IS NULL/IS NOT NULL
Folks, Why is it that the only 2 choices that I have in my pull down menu of values for each of the fields in my table are "IS NULL" AND "IS NOT NULL?" Why are the values for the field showing up? When I'm filtering by county for example, why don't the 88 different values for county appear in the drop down menu? As always, your help is genuinely appreciated! Mike Takeadoe wrote: > Folks, > > Why is it that the only 2 choices that I have in my pull down menu of > values for each of the fields in my table are "IS NULL" AND "IS NOT > NULL?" Why are the values for the field showing up? When I'm > filtering by county for example, why don't the 88 different values for > county appear in the drop down menu? > > As always, your help is genuinely appreciated! > > Mike I assume you have created some combo boxes or something? What is thier recordsource/query? -- regards, Br@dley I don't know what you are doing, but many things in Access only work if the fields are indexed. Create an index or relation on each field. (david) "Takeadoe" <mtonkovich@msn.com> wrote in message news:1139971557.576067.258670@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Folks, > > Why is it that the only 2 choices that I have in my pull down menu of > values for each of the fields in my table are "IS NULL" AND "IS NOT > NULL?" Why are the values for the field ...

RPG/ILE
I need to get up-to-speed on ILE ASAP. What are the quickest/best routes without going on a course? Steve J. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C615F2.D0B612A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I, The Red book : Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System = Access and More and langage's reference books ILE RPG Programmer's Guide ILE RPG Reference and work and work and work... it's easy if you know another structured langage.=20 Bruno "Steve" <stephenjones@fsmail.net> a =E9crit dans le message de = news:1136896416.390442.61440@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I need to get up-to-speed on ILE ASAP. >=20 > What are the quickest/best routes without going on a course? >=20 >=20 >=20 > Steve J. > ------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C615F2.D0B612A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1522" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Re...

RPG and ILE
I'm interested in a job that uses RPG programming with ILE. Are RPG and ILE languages? I'm interested in the type of software the company specializes in. I've used C++ (unix), VB, Informix 4gl (unix), and VB.Net Is this something that would be easy to learn? Are there some websites w/ sample code/free intro's to it/them. Also what exactly is AS/400? An Op System? Thanks... Check www.ibm.com and look for iSeries in midrange computing. There is a wealth of information there. HTH Alex "Sam" <standish22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:31a338ff.0309111145.2e649ba7@posting.google.com... > I'm interested in a job that uses RPG programming with ILE. Are RPG > and ILE languages? I'm interested in the type of software the company > specializes in. > > I've used C++ (unix), VB, Informix 4gl (unix), and VB.Net > > Is this something that would be easy to learn? Are there some > websites w/ sample code/free intro's to it/them. > > Also what exactly is AS/400? An Op System? > > Thanks... RPG is a language. Depending on who you ask it's either the best language ever invented, or the worst. It's designed for producing reports, but is often used for all sorts of "general purpose" programming. Strong in file I/O, decimal arithmetic, and some sorts of character manipulation. Weak in most of the things C is strong in. ILE is an execution environment. Programs writte...

IBM AS400

Should SQL concatenation return a null value if one field is null?
In an SQL statement which concatenates several fields I get a null value returned if any one of the fields are null. Is this to be expected? For example : SELECT tblMember.memberAddress + ' ' + tblMember.memberTown + ' ' + tblMember.memberCounty + ' ' + tblMember.memberPostCode + '<br> ' + tblMember.memberCountry + '<br> ' + tblMember.memberInstitution AS concatAddress FROM tblMember WHERE memberSurname='Cardy' returns a null value if eg tblMember.memberInstitution is null. Am I doing something wrong, if so I would be grateful for your help. Otherwise it would be useful to know if there is some kind of work around which can be used within the SQL statement (which is being used in a stored procedure), Best wishes, John Morgan "John Morgan" <jfm@XXwoodlander.co.uk> wrote in message news:i7sq801rns7bfjli57ado8atitkdll96um@4ax.com... > In an SQL statement which concatenates several fields I get a null > value returned if any one of the fields are null. > > Is this to be expected? > > For example : > > SELECT tblMember.memberAddress + ' ' + tblMember.memberTown + ' ' + > tblMember.memberCounty + ' ' + tblMember.memberPostCode + '<br> ' + > tblMember.memberCountry + '<br> ' + tblMember.memberInstitution AS > concatAddress FROM tblMember WHERE memberSurname='Cardy' > > returns a null value if eg ...

set new field to value in first non-null field
Gang - Can someone help with this seemingly simple task. If we we're dealing with numeric data, the MAX function would be appropriate, but I'm working with character data. Data looks like this: ("V" stands for variable) V1 V2 V3 V4 .. . . x x . . . .. x . . final data set v3 v1 v2 Ultimately, I want to create 1 variable containg the name of the field that had the "x" in it. Mike Thank you Very Much! On Jul 12, 9:04=A0am, Takeadoe <mtonkov...@msn.com> wrote: > Gang - Can someone help with this seemingly simple ta...

When is null not null?
I'm puzzled by the results of some queries. I have a table called "people" which includes, among others, these columns: userid varchar(20) NOT NULL default '' formal_name varchar(50) default NULL The query select userid, formal_name from people where formal_name is null produces a response with 78 rows. The query select userid, formal_name from people where formal_name = "" returns 142 rows. The two sets are distinct. Then select userid, formal_name from people where (formal_name is null or formal_name = "") returns 220 rows. 220 = 78+...

A way to "hide" or not display a field when entire field is null
I'm building my own crosstab table. If a crosstab field has no data in the entire field (as a result of filtering), I don't want to show that field. Is there a way to do this in a qry or frm object? I'd use a pivot, but PT are too slow, and they sometimes crash with amount of data (rows and columns) I'm talking about ..or I get an exceeds capacity error message. Thanks Jerry In a data sheet view, set the column names blank, then auto fit the columns. This sample also shows how to hide some named fields. In data sheet view, hidden columns are just columns with width 0. Setting all the column names to blank is an odd thing to do, but your alternative is checking all records for non-null values. (david) Sub gsbBS_AutoFit(f As Form) '(david) Dim intField As Integer For intField = 0 To f.Count - 1 If TypeOf f(intField) Is Label Then Else If f(intField).Name = "Summary" Or Left(f(intField).Name, 1) = "_" Then f(intField).ColumnWidth = 0 Else f(intField).ColumnWidth = -2 End If End If Next End Sub <jerry.ranch@pioneer.com> wrote in message news:n7vft1p1b7vg9u6pd3jhf226sfirv1u7ai@4ax.com... > I'm building my own crosstab table. > > If a crosstab field has no data in the entire field (as a result of > filtering), I don't want to show that field. Is there a way to do > this in a qry or frm object? >...

Writing XML messages and sending it to a MQ queue in an RPG/400 or RPG ILE program
Hi, I have the following requirement. I have to extract data from an application which consists of 3 layers: 1.Web layer 2.Application layer 3.Data layer- Consists of DB2 database on mainframe Since, the DB2 database does not allow direct querying for some reasons, I cannot write embedded SQL queries in my RPG program to extract the data. I was suggested to write a message in XML format and put it in an MQ. Then the message would be picked up from the queue and put into another queue which is already installed on the application. Actually this is not only a DB2 database but it is a large scale, heterogeneous complex of hardware, software, and networks. So can anyone tell me how does one code XML messages and put them in MQ queues and again get it back from MQ queue in RPG programs. Can I use RPG/400 or I have to use RPG ILE? If anyone can outline the procedure for this or provide some sample RPG code, it would be very helpful. Thanks. First off, a couple of limitations. The largest string field in an RPG program is 32k, the largest multiple occurance data structure is 16mb, using pointer logic it is possible to use terra space allocations to get up to the full 100mb message size that MQ supports - but it's neither easy nor pretty. So, how inflated are your XML messages likely to be? My favoured approach is to use an "adapter" that sits between the XML message format and MQ. For example, an RPG program writes a MQ string message to a queue, the [JA...

Null address field
I am adding address fields to a report. Add1, add2, town , county etc one below the other. Sometimes add2 will be blank. Is there a way to prevent that appearing as a blank line ? TIA David B Hexham UK Set the "Can Shrink" property to Yes. -- Michael Hopwood (Phobos) "David B" <david@marleycotenospam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:bou5ta$e3$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am adding address fields to a report. Add1, add2, town , county etc one below > the other. Sometimes add2 will be blank. > Is there a way to prevent that appearing as a blank line ? > TIA > David B > Hexham UK > Set the Can Shrink property of the text box to Yes. Max "David B" <david@marleycotenospam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:bou5ta$e3$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am adding address fields to a report. Add1, add2, town , county etc one below > the other. Sometimes add2 will be blank. > Is there a way to prevent that appearing as a blank line ? > TIA > David B > Hexham UK > "David B" <david@marleycotenospam.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:bou5ta$e3$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk... > I am adding address fields to a report. Add1, add2, town , county etc one below > the other. Sometimes add2 will be blank. > Is there a way to prevent that appearing as a blank line ? > TIA > David B > Hexham UK Assuming you are talking about Access reports (not Word mailmerges or similar) - ...

Count fields that are not null
Hello all, I have an Access 2003 database running on an XP network. I have a subform containing a 28 day roster - shift1 to shift28. I need to total the shifts for each employee and am unsure of how to do thid. Each record has 1 EmployeeNumber, 28 shift fields, and 1 shiftTotal field and 1 HoursTotal field. I investigated the Count function but I think this Counts on the basis of a field (Column) not a Record. Does anyone have an idea how I should tackle this problem or am I on the wrong track altogether? Regards Kevin On Mar 19, 11:10 pm, "Kev" <kevin.vaug...@nhw.hume.org.au> wrote: > Hello all, > I have an Access 2003 database running on an XP network. > I have a subform containing a 28 day roster - shift1 to shift28. > I need to total the shifts for each employee and am unsure of how to > do thid. > Each record has 1 EmployeeNumber, 28 shift fields, and 1 shiftTotal > field and 1 HoursTotal field. > I investigated the Count function but I think this Counts on the basis > of a field (Column) not a Record. > Does anyone have an idea how I should tackle this problem or am I on > the wrong track altogether? > Regards > Kevin I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0). This assumes shift1 is boolean of course. Count won't work as you found out. > I think you want something like sum (iif (shift1, 1, 0). This assumes > shift1 is boolean of course. Count won't work as you found out. Hel...

Nulling field in subform
I have 2 fields in a subform that I want to clear called [Date] - this works and [Session] - which doesn't . Session is populated by 4 choices from a combo box. All I want to do is clear the combo ready for reselection. Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform]![Date] = "" Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform]![Session] = "" Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform].[Date].SetFocus I also want to setfocus to [Date] in the subform. This doesn't work either. Any help would be genuinely appreciated Geoff "Geoff" <gfriar@freenetname.co.uk> wrote in message news:ONGdneb-q7agAyzeRVny1Q@brightview.com... >I have 2 fields in a subform that I want to clear called [Date] - this >works and [Session] - which doesn't . Session is populated by 4 choices >from a combo box. All I want to do is clear the combo ready for >reselection. > > Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform]![Date] = "" > Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform]![Session] = "" > Forms![Hirer].Form![Bookings Subform].[Date].SetFocus > > I also want to setfocus to [Date] in the subform. This doesn't work > either. > > Any help would be genuinely appreciated > Geoff Should you check the number of records in the subform? What if it is zero? What if it is more than one? Or perhaps the 'clearing routine' should only apply to the current record? If you are doing much Access work you could als...

ILE RPG Training
Can someone recommend some good ILE training for RPG 3 programmers.Either online, classroom, or university training would be okay. I'm physically located in central Forida. I've only found a demo from one company called Manta and wasn't impressed with that one. Thanks in advance, Joe in Florida Have you tried ATS? That's what I learned on (oh, about 15 years ago!). http://www.ibmuser.com HTH, Jonas Darth Ferret wrote: > Can someone recommend some good ILE training for RPG 3 programmers.Either > online, classroom, or university training would be okay. I'm physically > located in central Forida. > > I've only found a demo from one company called Manta and wasn't impressed > with that one. > > Thanks in advance, > Joe in Florida We used www.mindleaders.com for training and were really pleased with it. Have you looked at the redbook "Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System Access and More"? It is pretty easy to follow along. (http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245402.html?Open) If self training from a book isn't what you want, Jon Paris, one of the authors, will customize an in-house train class for you. Check his company site: http://www.partner400.com/. Sam "Darth Ferret" <noneavailable@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:UPede.25116$716.24989@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... > Can someone recommend some good ...

Subquery Fields Null
I am linking two queries in Access. One has data in several fields such as: Name, Year, Amount, CumTotal1, CumTotal2 where the cumulative total fields are two subqueries generating cumulative totals based on the Name, Year, and Amount (e.g. (select sum([Amount]) from Query1 as q1 where q1.name = query1.name and q1.year <= query1.year)). When I run Query1 the cumulative totals show up. However, when I inner join Query1 on Name to another query (this second query has been desinged to select only the names I want to use) the values from the two cumulative total fields show up blank. I'm using Access 2002 file format, and I have sucesfully joined tables with subqueries at other times. Any thoughts on what I'm missing would be appreciated.--Dan Put Name inside square brackets because it may be trigger a Reserved Term Confusion. Dan wrote: > I am linking two queries in Access. One has data in several fields > such as: Name, Year, Amount, CumTotal1, CumTotal2 where the cumulative > total fields are two subqueries generating cumulative totals based on > the Name, Year, and Amount (e.g. (select sum([Amount]) from Query1 as > q1 where q1.name = query1.name and q1.year <= query1.year)). When I > run Query1 the cumulative totals show up. However, when I inner join > Query1 on Name to another query (this second query has been desinged to > select only the names I want to use) the values from the two cumulative > total fields show up bl...

how do I move NULL into a field ?
Hello I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I don populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't b zero. how do I do that in COBOL please hel R - posted via MFF : http://www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:58:09 GMT, aaryam <member@mainframeforum.com> wrote: >I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol. > >eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I dont >populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't be >zero. how do I do that in COBOL. > >please help Move low-values to the group name before you start moving or put a group name over the individual field, which is functionally the same as redefines, and move low-values to it. Caution: it is not common practice to put nulls in packed fields. On IBM mainframes, a reference to the numeric field name will cause an abend. Some non-mainframe compilers, for instance Micro Focus, also cause an abend unless a non-default runtime option is used. Why do you think you "need" to fill it with nulls? > Hello > > I need to move NULL or null value into a field in cobol > > eg: I have a field called store-id PIC S99999V COMP-3. since I don > populate any value into it I need to move NULL into it. It shouldn't b > zero. how do I do that in COBOL > > please hel > posted via MF...

Problem with a null field
........ SUM(Amount1) +B.Amount2 as TOTAL ........ TOTAL is zero whenever the Dataset field Amount2 is NULL. Setting the field to zero prior to the query, remedies the problem. Is there a way to get around the problem beside checking all of the null fields ? "Stark" <franco.jommi@tin.it> wrote in message news:Dfz4d.295062$OR2.13423559@news3.tin.it... > ....... SUM(Amount1) +B.Amount2 as TOTAL ........ > > TOTAL is zero whenever the Dataset field Amount2 is NULL. Setting the > field to zero prior to the query, remedies the problem. > Is there...

Merge a field into a field
I have an email distribution list. I need to add the person's name in the body of the text. What do I do to merge one field into another. I know that <<>> doesn't work. thx Create a textfield Create a calculated field into the textfield type your text, where you want the name to go type QWERTY (or any other code you like) In the calcfield (result text) Substitute ( textfield ; "QWERTY"; NameField) More options ofcourse are possible, this is just clean and dirty. Ursus <fromero@csudh.edu> schreef in bericht news:1138227655.180034.311000@o13g2...

Web resources about - RPG ILE with NULL fields - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Field (computer science) , a smaller piece of data from a larger collection (e.g., database fields) Text is available under the Creative Commons ...

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

It's a wrap for Elysian Fields - Photos
A FILMMAKING bonanza could follow the shooting of Elysian Fields by a group of Dubbo artists who are now firm friends.

Greg Inglis takes bizarre field goal attempt as Souths lose to Dragons
It was a bizarre end to a miserable afternoon for Souths fans.

South Sydney Rabbitohs poke fun at Greg Inglis field goal brain snap
Imagine the celebration if Greg Inglis had kicked the one-point field goal when two points behind in the dying minutes.

The Best 2016 NBA Draft Prospects Remaining in the March Madness Field
The NCAA tournament field is down to 16 teams, but there are still plenty of quality NBA prospects left to scout with Duke, North Carolina, Indiana ...

Steve Jobs' reality-distortion field has finally run out of juice
... was an entire press conference dedicated to iterating on the same old products. It feels as if the famous Steve Jobs reality distortion field ...

Jorge Soler's mishaps in left field of little concern to manager Joe Maddon
Lost in space was how Joe Maddon described Jorge Soler 's big misadventure in left field Tuesday, when the third-year, now-roving outfielder's ...

The Latest: 2nd round ends with a flurry, Sweet 16 field set
The Latest on the fourth full day of the men's NCAA Tournament, including games being played in New York; St. Louis; Oklahoma City and Spokane, ...

Giants' Brown survives scare, Susac returns to field
A day after announcing that Trevor Brown and Andrew Susac were dealing with injuries, both backup catchers got in some work Tuesday.