Size of PDF created via Transform Services vs. IPM

Hi to all.

I'm explaining my problem.

I have a customer that need a catalog with items images. We prepared an
AFP-DS print wich refer to JPG images on an IFS folder, and then convert
it to PDF via Transform Services.

For a 200-pages catalog, we've got a PDF that is more that 400gb in
size(!!!!) and that crashesh the engine (note: for a testing purpose,
the image for all items was the same, an 800x600 JPG sizing 43k).

I was shocked by this size, so i put the Printer file on another
customer's machine, that have IPM on, run conversion via IPM  and got
out a 559k PDF file.

Does anyone have any ideaof why this diff and if there's any parameter
to check for reduce size??

I understand that IPM is a paid-for options, but have a 1.000.000:1
ratio in size, frankly, appear too bad.

Thanks to anyone.

0
Obelix

Il 14/10/2016 10:52, Obelix ha scritto:
 > For a 200-pages catalog, we've got a PDF that is more that 400gb in
 > size(!!!!)
Sorry, wrong measure unit: PDF is More that 400 MB in size, not GB. Way
too huge the same...

0
Obelix
10/14/2016 9:01:27 AM
On 14-Oct-2016 03:52 -0500, Obelix wrote:

> [�] I have a customer that need a catalog with items images. We
> prepared an AFP-DS print that refers to JPG images on an IFS folder,
> and then convert it to PDF via Transform Services.
>
> For a 200-pages catalog, we've got a PDF that is more than 400MB in
> size(!!!!) [{ed:} 14-Oct-2016 10:52, Obelix; size correction made]
> and that crashes the engine (note: for a testing purpose, the image
> for all items was the same, an 800x600 JPG sizing 43k).
>
> I was shocked by this size, so i put the Printer file on another
> customer's machine, that have IPM on, run conversion via IPM and got
> out a 559k PDF file.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of why this diff and if there's any
> parameter to check for reduce size??
>
> I understand that IPM is a paid-for options, but have a 1.000.000:1
> ratio in size, frankly, appear too bad.

   I recall reading a discussion about overlays (OVL) [�and/or perhaps
similar resources like Page Segments (PAGSEG), Font Resource (FNTRSC)?]
being copied anew for each page produced; i.e. unlike what I recall was
described as a well-designed PDF, in which a resource is copied once
into the document being produced, and then each reference is an
effective link-back to the previously included resource.  IIRC the
circumvention was to reduce the amount of /changing/ resource-references
throughout the spooled file so as to reduce the number of resources that
were repeatedly copied into the PDF.  Unsure if that discussion ended up
with a defect-report and a PTF to change the behavior.?  I also do not
recall if the discussion was here, or on midrange.com; my luck with web
searches of late have been horrible, and I am far exceeding my data
limits so I will not be searching for that for you :-(

--
Regards, Chuck
0
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 4:53:02 AM UTC-4, Obelix wrote:
> Hi to all.
>=20
> I'm explaining my problem.
>=20
> I have a customer that need a catalog with items images. We prepared an=
=20
> AFP-DS print wich refer to JPG images on an IFS folder, and then convert=
=20
> it to PDF via Transform Services.

I think transform services may convert the entire page to an image format. =
You are printing text + images on the same page?  Think of the complexity o=
f creating such a PDF.  Compared to creating an image file that merges the =
text and images. Then write a more simple PDF that contains a series of emb=
edded image files. One for every page.

another option is to use iText and Java to create the PDF file.

0
Steve