Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access

I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?

I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?

Can anyone offer me some guidence?

I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.

Thanks
Shadow

comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9160 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
> I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
> it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
> the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
> new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
>
> I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
> the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?
>
> Can anyone offer me some guidence?
>
> I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
>
> Thanks
> Shadow

If I might humbly offer another option:  FROG for the IBM i5.  May not
have all the bells and whistles of Squirrel but it is geared to the i5.
 No JDBC required, only Client Access.

You can download at http://www.innovativesys.net

Jonas Temple

0
jtemple (209)
12/20/2006 2:52:36 PM
It looks interesting, thank you for the suggestion, but I was hoping to
also have a tool where I can directly change a cell of data.  I know I
can use interactive sql in FROG which is cool.

Thank you again

Jonas Temple wrote:
> LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
> > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
> > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
> > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
> > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
> >
> > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
> > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?
> >
> > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
> >
> > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shadow
>
> If I might humbly offer another option:  FROG for the IBM i5.  May not
> have all the bells and whistles of Squirrel but it is geared to the i5.
>  No JDBC required, only Client Access.
>
> You can download at http://www.innovativesys.net
>
> Jonas Temple

the reference for squirrel sais where to add the driver package to the url,
I would recommend the toolbox driver (jtopen), the other stuff you don't
need, the url is jedbc:as400//myServer/defaultSchema the reference for
jtopen sais what parameters you could use for logon with the url, the name
of the driver class is com.ibm.as400.access.AS400JDBCDriver.
its working fine with squirrel and as400 and the toolbox driver, if you can
connect with odbc, otherwise you should adress another question.

dieter bender

LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:

> I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
> it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
> the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
> new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
>
> I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
> the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?
>
> Can anyone offer me some guidence?
>
> I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
>
> Thanks
> Shadow

iNavigator has a table (file) editor that allows you to edit cells
directly.

LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
> It looks interesting, thank you for the suggestion, but I was hoping to
> also have a tool where I can directly change a cell of data.  I know I
> can use interactive sql in FROG which is cool.
>
> Thank you again
>

> Jonas Temple wrote:
> > LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
> > > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
> > > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
> > > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
> > >
> > > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
> > > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?
> > >
> > > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
> > >
> > > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> > > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> > > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Shadow
> >
> > If I might humbly offer another option:  FROG for the IBM i5.  May not
> > have all the bells and whistles of Squirrel but it is geared to the i5.
> >  No JDBC required, only Client Access.
> >
> > You can download at http://www.innovativesys.net
> >
> > Jonas Temple

0
budimlic (202)
12/20/2006 8:49:51 PM
Please follow these steps to properly configure Squirrell:

1) Create a new driver.
    Driver -> New Driver

    Name        =  "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
    Sample URL  =  jdbc:as400://sampleServer.com/
    Website URL =  http://jt400.sourceforge.net/

The driver will appear in the "Driver Window" marked as available

2) Create an alias for your AS/400.
    Aliases -> New Alias

    Name        =  WhateverYouCallYourAS/400
    Driver      =  "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
    URL         =  jdbc:as400://yourAS400DNSName_or_IPAddress/
    User        =  TheUserYouWantToUseToConnect
    Password    =  ThePasswordOfTheUser

Click the "Properties" button and select "Specify Schema loading and caching". Then click "Connect
database to refresh Schema table" and set all tables, views and procedures to "Dont't load". Otherwise
Squirrell will load all and everything when it connects to your AS/400. Obviously that will take
noticeable time. Finally set all tables, views and procedures you want to work with to "Load ...".

The new alias will appear in the "Aliases Window".

4) Double-Click "WhateverYouCallYourAS/400" in the alias window to connect to your AS/400.

I will send a screen shot with a sample configuration your e-mail address. That probably makes things
easier.

Thomas Raddatz.

LightSquire@gmail.com schrieb:
> I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
> it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
> the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
> new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
>
> I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
> the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?
>
> Can anyone offer me some guidence?
>
> I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
>
> Thanks
> Shadow

You need to do a LOT of reading:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/

and start here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp

LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:

> I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
0
mboceanside (111)
12/20/2006 9:12:32 PM
Thomas Raddatz wrote:
> Please follow these steps to properly configure Squirrell:
>
> 1) Create a new driver.
>     Driver -> New Driver
>
>     Name        =  "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
>     Sample URL  =  jdbc:as400://sampleServer.com/
>     Website URL =  http://jt400.sourceforge.net/
>
> The driver will appear in the "Driver Window" marked as available
>
> 2) Create an alias for your AS/400.
>     Aliases -> New Alias
>
>     Name        =  WhateverYouCallYourAS/400
>     Driver      =  "IBM AS/400 JDBC Driver"
>     URL         =  jdbc:as400://yourAS400DNSName_or_IPAddress/
>     User        =  TheUserYouWantToUseToConnect
>     Password    =  ThePasswordOfTheUser
>
> Click the "Properties" button and select "Specify Schema loading and caching". Then click "Connect
> database to refresh Schema table" and set all tables, views and procedures to "Dont't load". Otherwise
> Squirrell will load all and everything when it connects to your AS/400. Obviously that will take
> noticeable time. Finally set all tables, views and procedures you want to work with to "Load ...".
>
> The new alias will appear in the "Aliases Window".
>
> 4) Double-Click "WhateverYouCallYourAS/400" in the alias window to connect to your AS/400.
>
> I will send a screen shot with a sample configuration your e-mail address. That probably makes things
> easier.
>
> Thomas Raddatz.
>
> LightSquire@gmail.com schrieb:
> > I have found Sql Squirrel on Sourceforge, and have been trying to get
> > it to work, I downloaded JTOPEN 5.3 and added the jt400 jar files to
> > the IBM DB2 App Driver and IBM DB2 Net driver. The problem I have being
> > new to this is how to I tell this software what my as400 is?
> >
> > I see where i nthe Db2 App driver wants the url jdbc:db2:<dbname>, or
> > the Net Driver with jdbc:db2://<server>:<6789>/<db-name ?
> >
> > Can anyone offer me some guidence?
> >
> > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Shadow

Thomas,

Thank you so much, it works great!

I will keep these instructions.

Thanks
Shadow

Pat Barber wrote:
> You need to do a LOT of reading:
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/
>
> and start here:
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp
>

> LightSquire@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > I just started in a small shop with almost no tools and I am trying to
> > get them to adopt Websphere, as well and some other useful tools of
> > which this looks great but I am not that experienced with jdbc.

Pat,

Thanks to you also,  its great to understand why you are doing a
particular task.

Shadow

Similar artilces about - Sql Squirrel and iseries DB2 access: