utility to creating a text file from a spool file

I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.

I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file
type.
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

dws wrote:
> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
> file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
> I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.
>
> I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file
> type.

I had a similar issue for an insurance client a few
years ago.  In their case, it was claim disbursement
checks, not payroll, but the idea is obviously about
the same.

They bought a check printing application for the PC
called Create-A-Check (the company renamed itself to
Piracle (ugh) back in 2002.)  We copy the check image
spool files to a physical file using CPYSPLF, then
download the file to a PC.  Some custom programming was
required on the Create-A-Check end; basically, to
create a checks template for Create-A-Check.

Piracle's site is http://www.piracle.com   The software
is still called Create-A-Check.

0
jonball (677)
4/7/2004 7:03:58 PM
dws <david.sitton@nielsonsskanska.com> wrote in message news:<fe5893b656a397b526cda146f89fcec2@news.1usenet.com>...
> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
> file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
> I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.
>
> I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file
> type.

Take a look at SPLTOOL by Brad Stone at www.bvstools.com and see if it
does what you need.  It can certainly produce the .txt file if you can
download that.  I'm not sure if the carriage control will be an issue.

Scott Lindstrom
0
sclind1 (21)

You may want to check out SPLTOOL.  It does more than you're asking, but
it's also a fraction of the cost of other similar utilties.

When you say you want to retain page layout with TXT, are you asking for
page breaks?  If you use just the txt format, there really aren't "page
breaks".  But, if you use .doc when using SPLTOOL, it will insert page
break markers.

RTF will create a Word type file that may work, and PDF will retain
pages as well, all available in SPTOOL.

You can download and try it out on spooled files of 30 pages or less for
an unlimited time from www.bvstools.com/spltool.html.  Feel free to
contact me with any questions.

Thanks!

Brad
www.bvstools.com

dws wrote:

> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
> file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
> I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.
>
> I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file
> type.

0
bvstone9721 (130)
4/7/2004 9:35:27 PM
setting control character to *none on the cpysplf command doesn't work?

The other thing you can do is simply drag the spool file to the desktop
using OpsNav. That comes out as a text file that matches exactly, in my
experience

dws wrote:

> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
> file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
> I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.
>
> I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file
> type.
0
Drew
4/7/2004 11:34:43 PM
dws <david.sitton@nielsonsskanska.com> wrote:
> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
> file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
> I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.

Depends on what formatting you need--a text file may not have what you
want.

Something worth trying would be to run Client Access (or whatever
they're calling it now) as a printer session, and set it to print to a
file.

wblock (186)
4/8/2004 12:35:22 AM
Hello David,

If you're interested in breathing new life into your Tangent applications,
we are offering a discounted offer on our WinSpool/400 Report Download and
DataImport Report Converter software. WinSpool is the equivalent of the
Tangent spool file download utility and DataImport IS the exact same
software that Tangent sold under their name.

We were just alerted to the fact that Tangent had closed their doors a few
weeks ago, which is why we're offering discounts to existing Tangent users
so they are not left in a lurch.

For more info on WinSpool/400 and DataImport, take a look at our web site or
feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"The AS/400 and iSeries Report and Data Delivery Experts"
Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com

"dws" <david.sitton@nielsonsskanska.com> wrote in message
> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text
> file from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process.
> I've tryed creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.
>
> I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file
> type.

0
richard890 (194)
4/13/2004 2:46:24 AM
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:53:17 +0000, dws wrote:

> I need a utility or program that will allow me to download AS/400 spool
> files to a text file on a PC and still retain page layout. We create
> payroll check on the as/400 download those spool to text files and
> distribute those out our remote sites where they are printed on epson
> tractor feed printers.  This process has worked great until now.  I have
> been using a product call Surpass that has this capability, however, I
> just purchased a new iSeries and the company that wrote Surpass, The
> Tandem Group, must be out of business.  Their software has my old As/400
> serial and I'm unable to load it to the new machine.  Does anyone have a
> way or a utility thast will do this.  I know that I can create a text file
> from a sppol file but the page layout is lost in this process. I've tryed
> creating a PDF but that doesn't match the AS/400 page layout.
>
> I don't need a program that does much other than creating this file type.

Hi

My open source WRKUSROUTQ utility can create text files from *SCS
spoolfiles with the original line spacing preserved. If it doesn't do
exactly what you want then you have the code to tweak as you see fit. For
details and code download go to http://www.dbg400.net/usroutq.html

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /

0
news6850 (22)
4/15/2004 5:59:01 PM
Hi Martin,

I have a very nice solution for you (and not expensive either).  My
OctoTools software ( www.octotools.com ) with its front end GUI based forms
designer will allow you to recreate your page layouts, merge your existing
text data (dynamically) automatically and at the same time send the files to
the approriate web locations and/or email address, again automatically.  We
output to PCL/PostScript printers and support all windows drivers.  Our
software resides in a windows based server and address the spool files from
just about any application and source (many users are AS/400 based).  Simply
set up a print queue to our software and the rest is automatically taken
care of.  We utilize RPM from Brooks Internet Software as an LPD to set up
filter and manage the print queues.

Please check out my website, in particular our output sample section which
should give you a better picture of our capability.  It looks like your
application could be up and running in production in a very short time (this
is always governed by Murphy's law), but I am confident your specific
application should be easily implemented.   We've already dealt with checks
and can send you a sample if you'd like.  Additionaly, I would be more than
please to provide an online demo via a webex session right on your desktop.
As you can see Martin, I think we have a pretty good solution for you and
would like to speak with you about it.  Thank you for your time and
consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Larry Taitelbaum,
978 535-7676
larry "at" jbmsystems "dot" com

Send Spool file AS400 to Text PC file
I need to send a spool file from AS400 to text file in PC. Thanks You need to use CPYSPLF to a database file and after CPYTOIMPF and after FTP - if you use iSeries Navigator (it's free) you just need to copy the spool file on your PC local drive enjoy it. "Fouad LFN" <Fouad.lfn@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: e0d92946.0503220924.5cc1ce23@posting.google.com... >I need to send a spool file from AS400 to text file in PC. > Thanks Run CPYSPLF to convert the spool file to a flat file. Then use CPYTOSTMF to save it in the IFS. If you save the file to a ...

Write to text file. Append to existing file. Create file if file doesn't exist.
Hi folks, &nbsp; up to LabVIEW 7 there was a wonderful "Write to Text&nbsp;File" vi which allowed the option "Append to File". Now, in LabVIEW 8, this old vi is not longer supported anymore. Instead, I am suggested to use a new "Write to Text File" vi. This vi does not offer the option "Append to File" anymore. Rather it is proposed in the online help that one should use the "Set File Position" in order to append text to the file. This much less straightforward than the old solution. Furthermore, I miss an option which would create the ...

How to create PC File Description File(.FDF) for Client Access file transfer utility?
Hello Friends, I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF file and how can i create one to describe my PC file that is to be transfered? I would be grateful if you can guide me to some manual in which i can get this. Thanks in Advance for yr help in this regard. kind regards, Umer Assuming the file exists on the as400, use CA to download the file first and select create FDF option. If not, download any file and select FDF and loo...

Create XML file from text file
Hello all! I was wondering whether there was a way, using any XML parser (preferably xerces), to create an XML file by reading, line by line a text file. Thank you, Marios Tofarides matofarides@gmail.com wrote: > Hello all! > > I was wondering whether there was a way, using any XML parser > (preferably xerces), to create an XML file by reading, line by line a > text file. Generally not, since an XML parse, by definition, parses XML and plain text is not XML. What I've done in such situations is to write a parser for the source language (whatever kind of language i...

How to create help files / text files
I want to create a help dialogue that will just act as a reminder on do's & dont's I had in mind a text file with sliding bars but don't seem to be able to do this. The text will be about 300 words plus and it will be the same context in each record, any clues on how to do this? Ernie > I want to create a help dialogue that will just act as a reminder on do's > & dont's I had in mind a text file with sliding bars but don't seem to be > able to do this. > > The text will be about 300 words plus and it will be the same context in > each...

creating DBF file from text file
Dear all, I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character to Memo fields . each record is indexed by unique key such account number . Where can I find functions that deal with this matter ? On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 02:45:06 -0700 (PDT), happytoday <ehabaziz2001@gmail.com> wrote: >Dear all, >I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character to Memo fields . >each record is indexed by unique key such account number . >Where can I find functions that deal with this matter ? I'm a bit rusty now but isn't a simple matter of append from xxx.txt delimit...

Text files read multiple files into single file, and then recreate the multiple files
Hiya, The title says it all really, but im a newbie to python sort of. I can read in files and write files no probs. But what I want to do is read in a couple of files and output them to one single file, but then be able to take this one single file and recreate the files I put into it. Im really at a loss as to how I go about recovering the files? obviously if i scan for a string that specifys the start and end of each file, theres the chance that the file might contain this term to which would split the files into unwanted chucks of file, which wouldnt be wanted. Any ideas? code snippets...

how to create a tiff file with text and embedded pcx files?
I am looking at the possibility of using libtiff to create tiff files with - text of specified format - pictures in pcx or jpeg format at particular locations on the page - could also create multiple page tiff file If libtiff cannot be used then is there any other way to accomplish this? ...

I create .nsf files but .id files are not created
Hi Guys, I 'm a complete noob .. but have experience with Active Directory... like I said .. I look at the data file no .id files but I can see the .nsf files.. odd... I can use my web mail .. not .. LAN. Thanx, ver. 6.5 Al mroscarhernandez@gmail.com wrote: > Hi Guys, > I 'm a complete noob .. but have experience with Active Directory... > like I said .. I look at the data file no .id files > but I can see the .nsf files.. odd... I can use my web mail .. not .. > LAN. > > Thanx, ver. 6.5 > > Al > You might have chosen to put...

Diploma work! To Create Schematic File from Netlist text file.
Hello, I am a student of State Univercity of Moscow. I am writing Diploma work . I find these forum of Cadence company while searching the name of my Diploma in Google. I am not a member of Cadence Company . I have to create Converter , which will convert ONLY digital standard cells' netlist view into schematic file. The input file is schematic netlist --- > for example some netlist of NAND schema,with 3 inputs: I II III IV V mp1 sp1 A1 VDD VDD mp2 sp1 A2 VDD VDD mp3 Z sp1 VDD VDD mn2 sn2 A2 VSS VSS mn1 sp1 A1 sn2 VSS mn...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

file.exe file generation from file.m file
How to generate application (*.exe) file from *.m file, which has lots of graphics. Program was written for image watermarking by using image processing toolbox. I want to send this program some where else but with out sowing the program codes. By this *.exe no need to use matlab6.5 platform. Also tell me How to generate *.p file from *.m file Which is hide the code to user but for run this program need matlab6.5 Please give me some idea about it. it is very urgent for me. I will be very great full to you "Biswajit Kar" <hibiswajitkar@rediffmail.com> wrote in message ne...

How to create a VMS PDF file from a VMS text file and an image (signature) on VMS?
I was searching on the NET about this. Does anyone know that the GPL (From GNU project) can do this. Any comments is appreciated. David circepb@optonline.net wrote: > > I was searching on the NET about this. text2pdf can be used. If you look at the archives, there is a fairly regular announcement of its availability for VMS. If this is not able to do what you need, then you can build a fairly standard postscript prologue that processes a text file, and then feed that to GHOSTSCRIPT which is able to produce PDF files as output. In article <m5f4c2pdp2oeldsa84ov87unakn2378c4a@4ax...

concatenating multiple text files into one text file
Hello all, I have a huge number of text files like : spectrum1_300_315.csv spectrum1_315_331.csv spectrum1_331_364.csv spectrum1_364_386.csv spectrum1_386_401.csv ...................................... ....................................... each file contains some headerlines at the beginning and data in 2 columns. I want to concatenate the data of the files into one text file .Can anyone hel me pls?thank u in advance. ...

Web resources about - utility to creating a text file from a spool file - comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

Wikipedia:Creating a bot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is often far simpler to request a bot job from an existing bot. If you have only periodic requests or are uncomfortable with programming languages, ...

Sandi Krakowski’s Tips for Creating Great Content
Quick tips to help you create great content for your business.

Bug - Creating a Video.Watches Action stopped working - Facebook-Entwickler
Since today executing a POST on a me/video.wacthes endpoints no longer works, it was working around 10 hours ago since then the call always returns ...

Facebook simplifies process for creating repeat events
Facebook introduced a new feature for events this week that allows users to quickly create a similar event as one they previously hosted or attended. ...

The Obama campaign won by creating their own Facebook, with unique features for political campaigns.
... seen as too dangerous to nominate someone who is so thoroughly narcissistic, arrogant and dishonest. The Obama campaign won basically by creating ...

Creating A Road Map To Market Your Startup
Spreading the word can be challenging when you’re new to an industry, don’t have a big budget, and have little helpbut it’s possible.You’ll need ...

Dance Machine - The Fun Video Editor for Creating Music Videos to share on Instagram, Facebook, Vine ...
Get Dance Machine - The Fun Video Editor for Creating Music Videos to share on Instagram, Facebook, Vine, and Twitter on the App Store. See screenshots ...

Creating Economic Dynamism: Joseph E. Stiglitz
DAVOS/SWITZERLAND, 25JAN13 - Joseph E. Stiglitz, Professor, Columbia University, USA talks during the session 'Creating Economic Dynamism' at ...

YouTube - Super Human Abilities: Tila Tequila Creating Energy Balls & Electricity Out of Thin Air!
Veröffentlicht am 24.04.2013 Hey Guys! For a long time now I have been able to do some pretty supernatural things that most would consider "SUPER ...