WRKSPLF *ALL takes a very long timel

Hi to all,
a customer running V7R1M0 comlains about a very Long time when doing a WRKS=
PLF *ALL cpmmand. So there a many spoolfiles it takes about 2  seconds when=
 I testet it which is not so long.  The customer told me it's only sometime=
s zjat it takes over a Minute to respond.

Any ideas what may be the issue?

Greetings

Fred
0
friedrich48
11/21/2016 1:14:33 PM
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc 9219 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 8:14:36 AM UTC-5, fried...@yahoo.de wrote:
> Hi to all,
> a customer running V7R1M0 comlains about a very Long time when doing a WR=
KSPLF *ALL cpmmand. So there a many spoolfiles it takes about 2  seconds wh=
en I testet it which is not so long.  The customer told me it's only someti=
mes zjat it takes over a Minute to respond.
>=20
> Any ideas what may be the issue?
>=20
> Greetings
>=20
> Fred

there is a RCLSPLSTG command that will delete empty slots the system has cr=
eated for what are now deleted spooled files.  Not something you normally h=
ave to do as the system reuses a deleted slot every time a new splf is crea=
ted.=20

you can use WRKOUTQ and scroll thru the resulting list to get an idea of ho=
w many spooled files are currently on the system. Maybe there are just a lo=
t of them.

try the GO CLEANUP command. Have to run with QSECOFR rights. Make sure auto=
matic cleanup is running. If there are a lot of joblogs on the system check=
 that the purge setting is what you want it to be.

When it is taking a long time to run WRKSPLF *ALL maybe some other jobs are=
 running on the system. Run WRKSYSACT to see what is currently using the CP=
U.

-Steve

0
Steve
12/2/2016 12:40:26 PM
On 21-Nov-2016 06:14 -0700, friedrich48@yahoo.de wrote:
> A customer running V7R1M0 complains about a very Long time when
> doing a WRKSPLF *ALL cpmmand. So there a many spoolfiles it takes
> about 2 seconds when I tested it which is not so long. The customer
> told me it's only sometimes that it takes over a Minute to respond.
>
> Any ideas what may be the issue?

   One possibility: Perhaps the customer is using an Assistance Level
(ASTLVL) of *BASIC [invoking the Operational Assistant user interface to
list spooled files] whereas the invocation you made had used
ASTLVL(*INTERMED).  The former requires more resources, as I recall.

   FWiW, from the v7r3 help text, there is also this:

     Work with Spooled Files - Help
   [�]
   Performance Considerations: The amount of time needed to show the
   list of spooled files depends on the selection criteria used and the
   number of spooled files in the list.  On a system with a large
   number of spooled files, it may be necessary to view a selected list
   of the system's spooled files. For additional performance
   information for WRKSPLF, see the Spool Performance Considerations
   experience report in the IBM i Information Center at
   http://www.ibm.com/systems/i/infocenter/.

--
Regards, Chuck
0