IBM 3270 PC(s) [5160 XTs with additional 3270 hardware] on eBay UK

Hello,

There is an auction for three IBM PCs "built 1985/6" plus a printer on
eBay UK - the one pictured appears to be an example of the unusual
type 5271 "3270 Personal Computer", which is essentially a 5160 XT
crossed with a 3270 terminal and provides the functions of both.

The picture shows a PC set up with both a special type 5272 display
and a 122 key keyboard as used on the 3270 PC, though details of
numbers and cards in the PCs have not been included.

Seller is based in Lapworth in the West Midlands, pick up only.  As I
understand these aren't too common, especially complete set ups, so I
just think would be a shame if they met a all too familiar fate.

I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever.

Link to the auction (item number 200439650353):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200439650353

Here is a great page on the 3270 PC's hardware quirks:
http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/5271.html

Here are links to some relevant IBM docs:

EMEA [Europe Middle East Africa] announcement for the 5271 on 22nd
March 1984: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/3/877/ENUSZG84-0253/index.html

US announcement for the 5271 on October 18th 1983:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/9/897/ENUS183-129/index.html

Hardware description; breakdown of models, option details etc.:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/1/649/ENUS5271/index.html

- dw_junon
0
dw_junon
2/17/2010 9:16:36 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.classic 405 articles. 0 followers. Ruud.Baltissen592 (59) is leader. Post Follow

dw_junon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is an auction for three IBM PCs "built 1985/6" plus a printer on
> eBay UK - the one pictured appears to be an example of the unusual
> type 5271 "3270 Personal Computer", which is essentially a 5160 XT
> crossed with a 3270 terminal and provides the functions of both.
>
> The picture shows a PC set up with both a special type 5272 display
> and a 122 key keyboard as used on the 3270 PC, though details of
> numbers and cards in the PCs have not been included.
>
> Seller is based in Lapworth in the West Midlands, pick up only.  As I
> understand these aren't too common, especially complete set ups, so I
> just think would be a shame if they met a all too familiar fate.
>
> I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever.
>
> Link to the auction (item number 200439650353):
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200439650353
>
> Here is a great page on the 3270 PC's hardware quirks:
> http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/5271.html
>
> Here are links to some relevant IBM docs:
>
> EMEA [Europe Middle East Africa] announcement for the 5271 on 22nd
> March 1984: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/3/877/ENUSZG84-0253/index.html
>
> US announcement for the 5271 on October 18th 1983:
> http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/9/897/ENUS183-129/index.html
>
> Hardware description; breakdown of models, option details etc.:
> http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/1/649/ENUS5271/index.html

"Seller is based in Lapworth in the West Midlands, pick up only."

I'm in .fl.us, dammit.

--
-- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply)
You can't help being ignorant 'cause there's always