f



2016 c.s.i.p.g.a Games Give-Away Advent Calendar - Day 22

Ho-ho-ho!

Another day, another present. This has been a jolly full advent
calendar, hasn't it? Let's open the next door, I'm eager to see what
we get next!

Today's game is:
--------------------
Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut

Well, given yesterday's game it probably isn't a surprise that I am
offering the sequel, but it should still be welcome. Originally an
expansion pack to Shadowrun Returns, the Director's Cut fleshed out
the game and made it a stand-alone product. It is basically everything
that is great about the first game, except more of it. So grab your
decks, sharpen your retractable razors, lock'n'load, and get out
there. The shadows are waiting...

Platform: Windows PC
Distributor: Steam
Key: 7X2KG-VXP5Q-2F6FN 

(In all honesty, Dragonfall is one of those 14.66% of my games I never
actually got around to playing. But I /hear/ it's pretty good anyway).

Ho-ho-ho!

0
Spalls
12/22/2016 3:06:12 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

19 Replies
606 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 10:06:12 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>--------------------
>Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut

>(In all honesty, Dragonfall is one of those 14.66% of my games I never
>actually got around to playing. But I /hear/ it's pretty good anyway).
>
>Ho-ho-ho!

I never got around to playing this one either.  Reviews rate this one
highly. And I like the graphic style. It should make someone happy
here as I already own this one.
0
Mike
12/22/2016 3:09:42 PM
On 2016-12-22, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ho-ho-ho!
>
> Another day, another present. This has been a jolly full advent
> calendar, hasn't it? Let's open the next door, I'm eager to see what
> we get next!
>
> Today's game is:
> --------------------
> Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut
>
> Well, given yesterday's game it probably isn't a surprise that I am
> offering the sequel, but it should still be welcome. Originally an
> expansion pack to Shadowrun Returns, the Director's Cut fleshed out
> the game and made it a stand-alone product. It is basically everything
> that is great about the first game, except more of it. So grab your
> decks, sharpen your retractable razors, lock'n'load, and get out
> there. The shadows are waiting...
>
> Platform: Windows PC
> Distributor: Steam
> Key: 7X2KG-VXP5Q-2F6FN 
>
> (In all honesty, Dragonfall is one of those 14.66% of my games I never
> actually got around to playing. But I /hear/ it's pretty good anyway).

Thanks, Spalls. With Bladerunner details trickling out for next year
this fits the cyberpunk neon lit vibe nicely :)

I'll pass it forward by sharing a key myself:

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin)
7CSS-V5TX-ERA8-64RV-83SM

-- 
-Toby
Add the word afiduluminag to the subject to circumvent my email filters.
0
Toby
12/22/2016 3:35:39 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 15:35:39 +0000, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
wrote:

>I'll pass it forward by sharing a key myself:
>
>Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin)
>7CSS-V5TX-ERA8-64RV-83SM

Thanks Toby. I am surprised I got it. I guess no one here cares about
using Origin but I have several games with them that I want to play.
0
Mike
12/22/2016 7:03:21 PM
Am 22.12.16 um 16:06 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Ho-ho-ho!
>
> Another day, another present. This has been a jolly full advent
> calendar, hasn't it? Let's open the next door, I'm eager to see what
> we get next!
>
> Today's game is:
> --------------------
> Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut
>
> Well, given yesterday's game it probably isn't a surprise that I am
> offering the sequel, but it should still be welcome. Originally an
> expansion pack to Shadowrun Returns, the Director's Cut fleshed out
> the game and made it a stand-alone product. It is basically everything
> that is great about the first game, except more of it. So grab your
> decks, sharpen your retractable razors, lock'n'load, and get out
> there. The shadows are waiting...
>
> Platform: Windows PC
> Distributor: Steam
> Key: 7X2KG-VXP5Q-2F6FN
>
> (In all honesty, Dragonfall is one of those 14.66% of my games I never
> actually got around to playing. But I /hear/ it's pretty good anyway).
>
> Ho-ho-ho!
>
Thanks for posting this, I tried to activate it, but then steam said I 
already own this game, hehe. Guess the key still is available.

0
Werner
12/22/2016 7:21:54 PM
On 2016-12-22, Mike S <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 15:35:39 +0000, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'll pass it forward by sharing a key myself:
>>
>>Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin)
>>7CSS-V5TX-ERA8-64RV-83SM
>
> Thanks Toby. I am surprised I got it. I guess no one here cares about
> using Origin but I have several games with them that I want to play.

I don't care for Origin much but the game is great fun; I already have
it on Steam.

-- 
-Toby
Add the word afiduluminag to the subject to circumvent my email filters.
0
Toby
12/23/2016 7:39:37 AM
Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Am 22.12.16 um 16:06 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
>> Ho-ho-ho!
>>
>> Another day, another present. This has been a jolly full advent
>> calendar, hasn't it? Let's open the next door, I'm eager to see what
>> we get next!
>>
>> Today's game is:
>> --------------------
>> Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut
>>
>> Well, given yesterday's game it probably isn't a surprise that I am
>> offering the sequel, but it should still be welcome. Originally an
>> expansion pack to Shadowrun Returns, the Director's Cut fleshed out
>> the game and made it a stand-alone product. It is basically everything
>> that is great about the first game, except more of it. So grab your
>> decks, sharpen your retractable razors, lock'n'load, and get out
>> there. The shadows are waiting...
>>
>> Platform: Windows PC
>> Distributor: Steam
>> Key: 7X2KG-VXP5Q-2F6FN
>>
>> (In all honesty, Dragonfall is one of those 14.66% of my games I never
>> actually got around to playing. But I /hear/ it's pretty good anyway).
>>
>> Ho-ho-ho!
>>
>Thanks for posting this, I tried to activate it, but then steam said I 
>already own this game, hehe. Guess the key still is available.
Tried for it but someone else got it, oh well.

What are these games like anyway?

What other rpg types are they similar to?

Just checked and they're seriously discounted on steam right now.

Xocyll
-- 
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of 
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably, 
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So 
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr 
0
Xocyll
12/23/2016 1:26:32 PM
Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> looked up from reading the entrails of the
>porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
>>Am 22.12.16 um 16:06 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
>>> Ho-ho-ho!
>>>
>>> Another day, another present. This has been a jolly full advent
>>> calendar, hasn't it? Let's open the next door, I'm eager to see what
>>> we get next!
>>>
>>> Today's game is:
>>> --------------------
>>> Shadowrun Dragonfall Directors Cut
>>>
>>> Well, given yesterday's game it probably isn't a surprise that I am
>>> offering the sequel, but it should still be welcome. Originally an
>>> expansion pack to Shadowrun Returns, the Director's Cut fleshed out
>>> the game and made it a stand-alone product. It is basically everything
>>> that is great about the first game, except more of it. So grab your
>>> decks, sharpen your retractable razors, lock'n'load, and get out
>>> there. The shadows are waiting...
>>>
>>> Platform: Windows PC
>>> Distributor: Steam
>>> Key: 7X2KG-VXP5Q-2F6FN
>>>
>>> (In all honesty, Dragonfall is one of those 14.66% of my games I never
>>> actually got around to playing. But I /hear/ it's pretty good anyway).
>>>
>>> Ho-ho-ho!
>>>
>>Thanks for posting this, I tried to activate it, but then steam said I 
>>already own this game, hehe. Guess the key still is available.
>Tried for it but someone else got it, oh well.
>
>What are these games like anyway?
>
>What other rpg types are they similar to?
>
>Just checked and they're seriously discounted on steam right now.

Decided to take a chance and buy the bundle of all 3 for a whole $13.75.

At that price, even if it's crap it's not much waste and I might just be
pleasantly surprised.

Here's hoping it's the latter.

Xocyll
-- 
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of 
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably, 
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So 
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr 
0
Xocyll
12/23/2016 1:45:30 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:26:32 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:

>What are these games like anyway?
>
>What other rpg types are they similar to?
>
>Just checked and they're seriously discounted on steam right now.
>
>Xocyll

I am not sure why people call these RPGs as they look  like tactical
squad level war games to me. Think Jagged Alliance or X-COM. I could
be wrong. Please let me know if I am if you try them any time soon.
0
Mike
12/23/2016 2:12:29 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 20:21:54 +0100, Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 22.12.16 um 16:06 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:

>> Ho-ho-ho!

>Thanks for posting this, I tried to activate it, but then steam said I 
>already own this game, hehe. Guess the key still is available.

Alas, I think your attempt consumed the key. Steam is pretty
unforgiving in this regard. 

Which only means you have to PLAY the game now; no more leaving it
forgotten in your steam library ;-)


0
Spalls
12/23/2016 2:18:10 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 15:35:39 +0000, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
wrote:

>On 2016-12-22, Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ho-ho-ho!


>Thanks, Spalls. With Bladerunner details trickling out for next year
>this fits the cyberpunk neon lit vibe nicely :)

>I'll pass it forward by sharing a key myself:

>Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin)
>7CSS-V5TX-ERA8-64RV-83SM

Very nice gesture, Toby. I was too slow but obviously you helped make
somebody else's christmas more fun. Thanks for contributing!


0
Spalls
12/23/2016 2:19:37 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 09:18:10 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Alas, I think your attempt consumed the key. Steam is pretty
>unforgiving in this regard. 

Ouch. Pretty terrible if Steam really works this way. A key that is
unredeemed should remain that way until someone.. you know.. actually
redeems it.
0
Mike
12/23/2016 2:33:33 PM
Am 23.12.16 um 15:33 schrieb Mike S.:
> Ouch. Pretty terrible if Steam really works this way. A key that is
> unredeemed should remain that way until someone.. you know.. actually
> redeems it.
Ouch I am sorry for that.


Cheers

Werner

0
Werner
12/23/2016 5:52:15 PM
Am 23.12.16 um 18:52 schrieb Werner Punz:
> Am 23.12.16 um 15:33 schrieb Mike S.:
>> Ouch. Pretty terrible if Steam really works this way. A key that is
>> unredeemed should remain that way until someone.. you know.. actually
>> redeems it.
> Ouch I am sorry for that.
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Werner
>
In fact I will redeem myself by posting a key for another game later. 
Steam just seems down to me atm. Once I can reach it I will get another 
key for the group :-)


0
Werner
12/23/2016 5:59:18 PM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 14:03:21 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 15:35:39 +0000, Toby Newman <google@asktoby.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'll pass it forward by sharing a key myself:
>>
>>Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising (Origin)
>>7CSS-V5TX-ERA8-64RV-83SM
>
>Thanks Toby. I am surprised I got it. I guess no one here cares about
>using Origin but I have several games with them that I want to play.

I rank them this way:

1. Steam, the best. Occasionally stops your gaming with a big update.

2. Origin, Updates itself poorly, installers are bulky, messy but
effective. Play before download complete is a novelty, rather than
functional.

3. Uplay, Requires UAC for fucking everything (lousy security design),
Downloads game more like Steam. Pain in the ass with all the UAC (most
of which you can say "no" to and it will still work, so why?).

4. Bethesda.net Launcher, an annoyance. Just put your modding software
on Steam, dummies. Fallout Shelter is a guilty pleasure though.

-- 
Zag

Sent from my slow-ass Toshiba Laptop
0
Zaghadka
12/23/2016 6:26:17 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 09:12:29 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:26:32 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>>What are these games like anyway?
>>
>>What other rpg types are they similar to?
>>
>>Just checked and they're seriously discounted on steam right now.
>>
>>Xocyll
>
>I am not sure why people call these RPGs as they look  like tactical
>squad level war games to me. Think Jagged Alliance or X-COM. I could
>be wrong. Please let me know if I am if you try them any time soon.

There's a deeper, pen-and-paper system behind the squad combat, and
more non-combat/action related choices (storyline and quest
structure). Otherwise, yeah, really similar.

-- 
Zag

Sent from my slow-ass Toshiba Laptop
0
Zaghadka
12/23/2016 6:27:58 PM
Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:26:32 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>>What are these games like anyway?
>>
>>What other rpg types are they similar to?
>>
>>Just checked and they're seriously discounted on steam right now.
>>
>>Xocyll
>
>I am not sure why people call these RPGs as they look  like tactical
>squad level war games to me. Think Jagged Alliance or X-COM. I could
>be wrong. Please let me know if I am if you try them any time soon.

It's the whole stat-building aspect of them.
That plus dialog options that change outcomes of interactions says "Role
playing" to me.

And of course Shadowrun is a pen and paper RPG originally, even if I
never actually played it, I had heard of it.

You make a character and then you build it to be what you want, as
opposed to a pre-assembled character you merely steer around or the
nonsense that Diablo3 did where you could change anything at any time
and which rendered replay value non-existent.

So far it's somewhat interesting playing it, but I absolutely hate the
interface - literally EVERYTHING is a mouse click.
Want to see your inventory?  Click on the button in the corner, then
click on the inventory button.

The click on the button in the corner can also be accessed by hitting
the ESC key - that so far is the only key I have seen that does
anything.

Interact with a character and you get 6 lines of text max at a time and
have to click the [...] to continue.

I can only assume that the developers are hard-core console players who
can't imagine having access to a keyboard full of potential shortcuts.

Seriously why can't I hit a key like spacebar to continue in
conversations, loading screens, etc, or bring up inventory by hitting I
or the journal with J, and so on?

Xocyll
-- 
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of 
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably, 
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So 
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr 
0
Xocyll
12/24/2016 6:25:39 PM
>I don't care for Origin much but the game is great fun; I already have
>it on Steam.

    RA3 is supposed to be the best of the series isn't it?   And Origin 
offered the C&C megapack for supercheap some time back, so I'm not 
complaining!

rms

0
rms
12/24/2016 9:54:26 PM
>And Origin 
offered the C&C megapack for supercheap some time back, so I'm not 
complaining!

    Yeah, the 17-game megapack is $5 on Origin right now, a darn good deal.

rms
0
rms
12/24/2016 9:59:06 PM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@gmx.com> wrote:

>It's the whole stat-building aspect of them.
>That plus dialog options that change outcomes of interactions says "Role
>playing" to me.

Fair enough.

>And of course Shadowrun is a pen and paper RPG originally, even if I
>never actually played it, I had heard of it.

The only thing I knew about Shadowrun was that there was a popular
Shadowrun game on the older consoles. I wasn't even sure what genre it
was in. 

>You make a character and then you build it to be what you want, as
>opposed to a pre-assembled character you merely steer around or the
>nonsense that Diablo3 did where you could change anything at any time
>and which rendered replay value non-existent.

This annoyed me as well at first but then I ended up playing one
character for over a year in Diablo 3. So in regards to
replayability...  <<shrug>>

>Seriously why can't I hit a key like spacebar to continue in
>conversations, loading screens, etc, or bring up inventory by hitting I
>or the journal with J, and so on?

No hotkeys? That is odd.
0
Mike
12/25/2016 12:15:50 AM
Reply: