HL 2 error

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

I have an illegal cd of HL2 and it worked well.
I could play it till the Nova Prospekt.
I started the game and see the loading screen and suddenly it kicked me out
and brought me back to the desktop.
With this an fatal error came and it said" Could not acquire necessary game
files because the connection to Steam servers was lost"

I think this is very strange cos i got so far in the game without any
problems.

What can i do to play the game further?

Don't give me these answers such as , buy the game in the shop or something
like that. Ok?

Who knows the answer??

John

0
Reply johnvanzon (6) 5/9/2006 5:16:42 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Tue, 9 May 2006 19:16:42 +0200, "John" <johnvanzon@quicknet.nl>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an illegal cd of HL2 and it worked well.
>I could play it till the Nova Prospekt.
>I started the game and see the loading screen and suddenly it kicked me out
>and brought me back to the desktop.
>With this an fatal error came and it said" Could not acquire necessary game
>files because the connection to Steam servers was lost"
>
>I think this is very strange cos i got so far in the game without any
>problems.
>
>What can i do to play the game further?
>
>Don't give me these answers such as , buy the game in the shop or something
>like that. Ok?
>
>Who knows the answer??
>
>John

Me

"Buy the game in the shop"

:)
0
Reply Justin.Thompson (3) 5/9/2006 5:59:40 PM

"Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:

>>What can i do to play the game further?

>>Don't give me these answers such as , buy the game in the shop or
>>something
>>like that. Ok?

> "Buy the game in the shop"

"something like that. Ok?".

0
Reply vmelia (720) 5/9/2006 7:17:49 PM

John wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an illegal cd of HL2 and it worked well.
> I could play it till the Nova Prospekt.
> I started the game and see the loading screen and suddenly it kicked me out
> and brought me back to the desktop.
> With this an fatal error came and it said" Could not acquire necessary game
> files because the connection to Steam servers was lost"
>
> I think this is very strange cos i got so far in the game without any
> problems.
>
> What can i do to play the game further?
>
> Don't give me these answers such as , buy the game in the shop or something
> like that. Ok?
>
> Who knows the answer??
>
> John

1. Buy the game through Stream - does that count as a shop?
2. Write you own version of HL2, shouldn't take you to long.
3. Drop ten pints of lager before hand so you don't remember what you
are playing.
0
Reply nochance1 (1071) 5/10/2006 6:07:42 AM

John wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an illegal cd of HL2 and it worked well.
> I could play it till the Nova Prospekt.
> I started the game and see the loading screen and suddenly it kicked me out
> and brought me back to the desktop.
> With this an fatal error came and it said" Could not acquire necessary game
> files because the connection to Steam servers was lost"
>
> I think this is very strange cos i got so far in the game without any
> problems.
>
> What can i do to play the game further?

Personally, I'd strongly recommend buying a legal copy. But the
following procedure has been known to help such problems in certain cases.

1. Make sure you have your HL2 files backed up onto a DVD-ROM.-- NOT a
CD-ROM, but a DVD ROM.

2. Uninstall any and all virus protection software and firewalls, such
as Norton or MacAfee. Don't just switch them off. Uninstall them
completely.

3. Defrag your hard drive.

4. Scan your system for any and all spyware, using Ad-Aware AND Spybot.

5. Make sure that you have a copy of Windows XP and its patches.
Disconnect your DVD-ROM drive, and re-install Windows.

6. Uninstall any printer drivers that remain after this re-install.

7. Re-install your DVD-ROM driver.

8. Re-install your game from your DVD-ROM.

9. If the same problem occurs, then repeat the above procedure.

0
Reply siano (306) 5/10/2006 1:23:07 PM

You forgot the excorcism. That's the crucial part. I can't believe you
forgot the excorcism.. honestly.

Tongue in cheek,
--Acercanto ;-)

Brian Siano wrote:

> Personally, I'd strongly recommend buying a legal copy. But the
> following procedure has been known to help such problems in certain cases.
>
> 1. Make sure you have your HL2 files backed up onto a DVD-ROM.-- NOT a
> CD-ROM, but a DVD ROM.
>
> 2. Uninstall any and all virus protection software and firewalls, such
> as Norton or MacAfee. Don't just switch them off. Uninstall them
> completely.
>
> 3. Defrag your hard drive.
>
> 4. Scan your system for any and all spyware, using Ad-Aware AND Spybot.
>
> 5. Make sure that you have a copy of Windows XP and its patches.
> Disconnect your DVD-ROM drive, and re-install Windows.
>
> 6. Uninstall any printer drivers that remain after this re-install.
>
> 7. Re-install your DVD-ROM driver.
>
> 8. Re-install your game from your DVD-ROM.
>
> 9. If the same problem occurs, then repeat the above procedure.

0
Reply send.spam (2) 5/10/2006 6:43:36 PM

Shouldn't need it if it's one of them new-fangled Aluminiunium cases.

Brian - I'm concerned that you didn't mention unplugging his iPod and doing a
hard-reboot on it. You weren't perchance trying to fleece our hero were you?

"acercanto" <send.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You forgot the excorcism. That's the crucial part. I can't believe you forgot
> the excorcism.. honestly.
>
> Tongue in cheek,
> --Acercanto ;-)
>
> Brian Siano wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I'd strongly recommend buying a legal copy. But the following
>> procedure has been known to help such problems in certain cases.
>>
>> 1. Make sure you have your HL2 files backed up onto a DVD-ROM.-- NOT a
>> CD-ROM, but a DVD ROM.
>>
>> 2. Uninstall any and all virus protection software and firewalls, such as
>> Norton or MacAfee. Don't just switch them off. Uninstall them completely.
>>
>> 3. Defrag your hard drive.
>>
>> 4. Scan your system for any and all spyware, using Ad-Aware AND Spybot.
>>
>> 5. Make sure that you have a copy of Windows XP and its patches. Disconnect
>> your DVD-ROM drive, and re-install Windows.
>>
>> 6. Uninstall any printer drivers that remain after this re-install.
>>
>> 7. Re-install your DVD-ROM driver.
>>
>> 8. Re-install your game from your DVD-ROM.
>>
>> 9. If the same problem occurs, then repeat the above procedure.

0
Reply jim3418 (1) 5/11/2006 9:18:12 AM

lol

"Jim Pills" <jim@pills.com> schreef in bericht
> Shouldn't need it if it's one of them new-fangled Aluminiunium cases.
>
> Brian - I'm concerned that you didn't mention unplugging his iPod and
> doing a hard-reboot on it. You weren't perchance trying to fleece our hero
> were you?
>
> "acercanto" <send.spam@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You forgot the excorcism. That's the crucial part. I can't believe you
>> forgot the excorcism.. honestly.
>>
>> Tongue in cheek,
>> --Acercanto ;-)
>>
>> Brian Siano wrote:
>>>
>>> Personally, I'd strongly recommend buying a legal copy. But the
>>> following procedure has been known to help such problems in certain
>>> cases.
>>>
>>> 1. Make sure you have your HL2 files backed up onto a DVD-ROM.-- NOT a
>>> CD-ROM, but a DVD ROM.
>>>
>>> 2. Uninstall any and all virus protection software and firewalls, such
>>> as Norton or MacAfee. Don't just switch them off. Uninstall them
>>> completely.
>>>
>>> 3. Defrag your hard drive.
>>>
>>> 4. Scan your system for any and all spyware, using Ad-Aware AND Spybot.
>>>
>>> 5. Make sure that you have a copy of Windows XP and its patches.
>>> Disconnect your DVD-ROM drive, and re-install Windows.
>>>
>>> 6. Uninstall any printer drivers that remain after this re-install.
>>>
>>> 7. Re-install your DVD-ROM driver.
>>>
>>> 8. Re-install your game from your DVD-ROM.
>>>
>>> 9. If the same problem occurs, then repeat the above procedure.

0
Reply johnvanzon (6) 5/11/2006 5:03:57 PM

Sssssh! - don't wake the trolls!
;-)

cc info@fast.org

0
Reply richard7183 (3) 5/11/2006 5:55:47 PM

You are really sick!

"Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
> John wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an illegal cd of HL2 and it worked well.
>> I could play it till the Nova Prospekt.
>> I started the game and see the loading screen and suddenly it kicked me
>> out and brought me back to the desktop.
>> With this an fatal error came and it said" Could not acquire necessary
>> game files because the connection to Steam servers was lost"
>>
>> I think this is very strange cos i got so far in the game without any
>> problems.
>>
>> What can i do to play the game further?
>
> Personally, I'd strongly recommend buying a legal copy. But the following
> procedure has been known to help such problems in certain cases.
>
> 1. Make sure you have your HL2 files backed up onto a DVD-ROM.-- NOT a
> CD-ROM, but a DVD ROM.
>
> 2. Uninstall any and all virus protection software and firewalls, such as
> Norton or MacAfee. Don't just switch them off. Uninstall them completely.
>
> 3. Defrag your hard drive.
>
> 4. Scan your system for any and all spyware, using Ad-Aware AND Spybot.
>
> 5. Make sure that you have a copy of Windows XP and its patches.
> Disconnect your DVD-ROM drive, and re-install Windows.
>
> 6. Uninstall any printer drivers that remain after this re-install.
>
> 7. Re-install your DVD-ROM driver.
>
> 8. Re-install your game from your DVD-ROM.
>
> 9. If the same problem occurs, then repeat the above procedure.

0
Reply fjs2spam (1) 5/15/2006 8:40:59 PM

Dude.  That's just mean, but while your at it don't forget to sacrifice a
goat during a full moon and place its entrails on a tombstone, then dance
around it 15 times.

"Fred Scharmann" <fjs2spam@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> You are really sick!
>

> "Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
>> John wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have an illegal cd of HL2 and it worked well.
>>> I could play it till the Nova Prospekt.
>>> I started the game and see the loading screen and suddenly it kicked me
>>> out and brought me back to the desktop.
>>> With this an fatal error came and it said" Could not acquire necessary
>>> game files because the connection to Steam servers was lost"
>>>
>>> I think this is very strange cos i got so far in the game without any
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> What can i do to play the game further?
>>
>> Personally, I'd strongly recommend buying a legal copy. But the following
>> procedure has been known to help such problems in certain cases.
>>
>> 1. Make sure you have your HL2 files backed up onto a DVD-ROM.-- NOT a
>> CD-ROM, but a DVD ROM.
>>
>> 2. Uninstall any and all virus protection software and firewalls, such as
>> Norton or MacAfee. Don't just switch them off. Uninstall them completely.
>>
>> 3. Defrag your hard drive.
>>
>> 4. Scan your system for any and all spyware, using Ad-Aware AND Spybot.
>>
>> 5. Make sure that you have a copy of Windows XP and its patches.
>> Disconnect your DVD-ROM drive, and re-install Windows.
>>
>> 6. Uninstall any printer drivers that remain after this re-install.
>>
>> 7. Re-install your DVD-ROM driver.
>>
>> 8. Re-install your game from your DVD-ROM.
>>
>> 9. If the same problem occurs, then repeat the above procedure.

0
Reply gmach (1) 5/22/2006 1:41:05 AM

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>>What can i do to play the game further?
>
>>>Don't give me these answers such as , buy the game in the shop or
>>>something
>>>like that. Ok?
>
>> "Buy the game in the shop"
>
> "something like that. Ok?".

Got mine new off ebay. Still in shrink wrap, serial not registered. Cost a
damn sight less than in stores (at the time).

0
Reply da_____.never.spam (2) 5/30/2006 11:11:48 AM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 13970 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

error 2 #2
ada yg bisa bantu gk..... file aku sering rusak "Fatal Manager Error 2" Gimana ya cara spy gk error lg???? ...

error #2 #2
my error during compilation Type: C >>>xlink.exe -NOEXPOBJ -MAP -FORCE:MULTIPLE -NOIMPLIB - subsystem:console -LIBPATH:"C:\xHB\lib" -LIBPATH:"C:\xHB\c_lib" - LIBPATH:"C:\xHB\c_lib\win" "TEST.obj" xhb.lib dbf.lib ntx.lib cdx.lib rmdbfcdx.lib activex.lib crt.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib winspool.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib uuid.lib wsock32.lib ws2_32.lib wininet.lib advapi32.lib shlwapi.lib -out:"test.exe"<<< xLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol '_HB_FUN_BACKDROP'. xLINK: error: Unresolved e...

Error #2 #2
C:\Documents and Settings\rkg\Desktop\Qt Codes>make mingw32-make -f Makefile.Debug mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Documents and Settings/rkg/ Desktop/Qt Co des' g++ -enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime- pseudo-rel oc -mthreads -Wl -Wl,-subsystem,windows -o "debug\Qt Codes.exe" debug/ hello.o - L"c:\Qt\4.3.3\lib" -lmingw32 -lqtmaind -lQtGuid4 -lQtCored4 C:\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: cannot fin d -lqtmaind collect2: ld returned 1 exit status mingw32-make[1]: *** ["debug\Qt] Error 1 ming...

Error while compiling apache 2.2.2
Hi, I got the followinf message while tying to compile apache 2.2.2 under AIX 4.3 with GCC 3. The configure options are : ../configure --prefix=/opt/httpd2 --with-apr=/opt/httpd2/apr --with-apr-util=/opt/httpd2/apr --enable-module="ssl auth_basic auth_digest vhost_alias" --enable-cgi --enable-vhost-alias --enable-ssl --with-ssl=/usr/openssl --enable-http --enable-rewrite --enable-so --with-egd --with-devrand --with-z=/opt/zlib and any try I make I got the only one error message : <snip> /opt/httpd2/apr/build-1/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -pthread -U__STR__ -...

Apache 2.2.2 mod_ssl error
I'm trying to migrate from Apache httpd 2.0.46 to 2.2.2. I've managed to sort out most of the configuration, and the http side all seems to be working just fine. However, whenever I try & start the server with the default SSL configuration, and the certificate & key files copied from my previous 2.0.46 installation, the server refuses to start at all, and the log says: [error] Init: Multiple RSA server certificates not allowed What does this mean? Can't find anything by searching Google. Anyone come across this error before? Cheers, -Chrisl Chri...

[2.5.2] MinGW3.2 W2K lots of linking errors #2
hello, meanwhile I managed to reduce the linking errors: The multiple definitions of `vtable for ...' and the undefined references to `_Unwind_Resume' disapeared when I reduced my potpourri of different gcc-versions. But there are still 530 linking errors, most of them undefined references to `_GLOBAL__D_...', some are undefined references to `SQL...' and a few undefined reference to `wxVariant::...'. Tried to compile a sample, and it's nearly the same, so there is definitly something wrong with the wx-libaries I made by this: mingw32-make -f ...

Getting an error: Attempted to access u(2); index out of bounds because numel(u)=1. Error in ==> treat at 31 if (u(2)>1000) #2
HI, I am using an ode function having three differntial equations in u(1), u(2), (3) using function f=treat(t, u), Now when i use if function as if (u(2)>1000) c=1; else (u(1)<=100) c=0; end i am getting the following error Attempted to access u(2); index out of bounds because numel(u)=1. Error in ==> treat at 31 if (u(2)>1000) Please tell me. thanks "gati " <gatimishrano@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:kfdpbl$ke1$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com... > HI, I am using an ode function having three differntial equations in u(1), > u(2), (3) using function ...

Re: [2.5.2] MinGW3.2 W2K lots of linking errors #2
hi, got it!! if anybody did the same stupid errors, here the solution: picked out the linking params of a sample and used it: -mthreads -Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows -lwxbase25d_odbc -lwxmsw25d_core -lwxbase25d -lwxtiffd -lwxjpegd -lwxpngd -lwxzlibd -lwxregexd -lwxexpatd -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -lwinspool -lwinmm -lshell32 -lcomctl32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lrpcrt4 -ladvapi32 -lwsock32 -lodbc32 the only thing I don't understand, is the order of the wx-stat.libs. as I undestood the describtion in http://www.wxwid...

Re: [2.5.2] MinGW3.2 W2K lots of linking errors #2
hi, some more informations about my errors: _______________ Dated up to the latest Dev-CPP version, including Mingw/GCC 3.2 (gcc --v: gcc version 3.2 (mingw special 20020817-1)) to enshure, that my compilerversions will work allright, rebuild the wxLIBS: WXVER_MAJOR=2 WXVER_MINOR=5 WXVER_RELEASE=1 BUILD=debug MONOLITHIC=0 SHARED=0 UNICODE=0 WXUNIV=0 CFG= VENDOR=custom OFFICIAL_BUILD=0 DEBUG_FLAG=default DEBUG_INFO=default RUNTIME_LIBS=dynamic MSLU=0 USE_EXCEPTIONS=1 USE_GUI=1 USE_HTML=1 USE_ODBC=1 USE_OPENGL=0 COMPILER=gcc CC=gcc CXX=g++ CFLAGS= CPPFLAGS= CXXF...