Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores?

I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

0
sdes (1)
4/18/2006 7:38:07 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Noticed this sort of pushing the PC to smaller further-back  shelves in most
UK stores for a year or 2 ..can only get worse ;)
Mouse
@@@@

0
nospam6021 (501)
4/18/2006 8:11:12 PM
"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Yes. Tracking an anticipated game from going gold and shipping is largely an
exercise in frustration. Best Buy always has it a week "late" (from my
perspective), and EB is prettymuch just as bad. Ok, EB had Oblivion quick,
but even then, they got 2 collector's edition and 4 regular for the PC -
they got about 100 for the x-box 360. And *forget* anything but an A-List
title getting there quick. It took my local EB about 3 weeks after release
to get Knights of Honor (ok, it wasn't worth the anticipation, but still, 3
weeks?)

Online delivery of these games can't come fast enough for me. I bought Gal
Civ 2 that way, and it was great - I saw the game, I wanted it, and I was
playing in an hour. The stores around me didn't get it for at least a week
after release.

"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the
PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Nope.

Out of the last 10 PC games or so, the only one I had trouble finding was
Civ IV, and that was because it was sold out in most places.

Funnily enough, I had Gal Civ 2 pre-ordered, but found it at Walmart, first.

0
jer216 (15)
4/18/2006 10:47:43 PM
"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new
> PC release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes
> like a week before the Best Buys and EBs have it.

I gave up trying/waiting to find TR Legend last week and ended up over the
weekend buying a downloadable version from ign's direct2drive.com.  First
time I've done that.

I was just in both Best Buy and Target at lunchtime today and both *still*
don't have TRL, now a full week since release.
0
nospam8072 (337)
4/18/2006 11:42:23 PM
"jwb" <jwb3333take--me-out@excite.com> wrote in

> Best Buy always has it a week
> "late" (from my perspective), and EB is prettymuch just as bad. Ok, EB
> had Oblivion quick, but even then, they got 2 collector's edition and
> 4 regular for the PC - they got about 100 for the x-box 360.

The day Godfather was released (which was the day immediately after
Oblivion was released), I was in Target and noticed that they had Godfather
for the PC, but didn't have Oblivion for the PC.  But they had Oblivion for
xbox360, but didn't have Godfather for the xbox360.  Weird.
0
nospam8072 (337)
4/18/2006 11:48:29 PM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 +0000, Kyle Rodgers wrote:

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the
> PC games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on
> the 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Not a problem with major releases like Tomb Raider Legend or Oblivion.
But just try to find a new adventure game or lesser known RPG. Maybe 20%
of the time they'll actually get one in anywhere near the release date.
It's faster just to order online.

0
nospam21 (19047)
4/19/2006 12:24:29 AM
Most people here seem to be in North America or UK & some other west
Euro....I would like to know if the situation with decreasing PC games
availabilty and sales is same-as right around the world ???
I would guess that a games sales success  (and there for future releases) is
down to overall/world wide sales ..
I get the impression that Japan goes its own way in many respects ...do they
'like' PC gaming ???
Mouse
@@@@

0
nospam6021 (501)
4/19/2006 1:52:20 AM
"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Local conditions seem to apply then.   I live in the Houston area, and here
PC games are very much in demand.  Every bit as much as the console games.
I see the Nintendo and Mac games on the same shelf here.  A small one.
XBox/360, PS2 and PC games seem to vie for equal space in the EBGames,
GameStops, Circuit City, Best Buy, Frys here.   Stores cater to demand and
survive.
McG.

0
McGrandpaNOT (866)
4/19/2006 2:15:40 AM
Trimble Bracegirdle <NOspam@spam.not> wrote:
> Most people here seem to be in North America or UK & some other west
> Euro....I would like to know if the situation with decreasing PC games
> availabilty and sales is same-as right around the world ???
> I would guess that a games sales success  (and there for future releases) is
> down to overall/world wide sales ..

"Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.

The small locally-owned-and-run games stores seem to have disappeared,
so I'm not seeing much point to going to a physical store for games
any more -- just order online.  No trying to find stuff in a cramped
space chock full of teenage boys *and* you're more likely to actually
get what you wanted.

Matt

0
matt118 (6)
4/19/2006 2:40:03 AM
I agree with prior posters' comments about Best Buy and EB games. According
to a salesman at a Scottsdale EB, most of their stores in the area don't
carry "new" games for the PC. The few that they do have are the FPSs and
RPGs and they are relegated to a small area on a back wall. I check Best Buy
online for newer games by store location, then buzz over to that store
before they're gone. They don't get many of them in. I snagged "Scratches" -
one of 3 copies they had for sale. Both of our local Bookmans, once a place
I could count on to carry a decent selection of used adventure games, are
devoting more and more space to console games. Target has a smattering and,
if you keep your eye out, they tend to mark them down comparatively fast. I
just got Myst V today for $13.98. Fry's has a few adventure games, but I've
not seen newer ones on a consistent basis. Finding adventure games for the
PC is becoming as challenging as playing them :). Lynne, in Phoenix, AZ.

"Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message
>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

0
sophieaz (1)
4/19/2006 2:51:27 AM
    In my area at least, it all depends on the store. The Best Buy less than
a mile from where I live does not stock many PC games at all and really,
doesn't have that large of a console section either. They concentrate most
of their floor space on appliances, CDs, DVDs, cell phone stuff, XM, TVs and
computers. The Best Buy about a half hour away that I also go to on occasion
has twice the floor space for both PC and console games because they're
located in a more affluent community with more kids that have disposable
income for games as well as music. They don't have nearly the amount of
floor space for appliances allocated.
    I can't speak about EB Games because we don't have one located near me.
I didn't like the trade-in prices there either when I have gone to them in
other cities, so I go to a local "mom and pop" video game store for my
console buying. That store concentrates a lot on the Japanese games and
anime which I'm not into, but they almost always have the FPS and sports
titles I want for PS2. I recently went to Game Crazy and enjoyed the
experience.
    Unfortunately where I live the USPS delivery sucks (thus my thread about
Gamefly) so online ordering unless I can actually download the PC game, is a
risky proposition. (Except for SWAT, I haven't seen a PC game I wanted that
I could download though.) This USPS problem is doubly bad because previously
I liked to order my PC titles used off Amazon or EBay to get them cheaper.

0
CJMARTIN04 (59)
4/19/2006 4:27:23 AM
Kyle Rodgers wrote:
> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

I just buy everything via Amazon.com to get free shipping and no sales
tax...
I heard that "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> said:

>Local conditions seem to apply then.   I live in the Houston area, and here
>PC games are very much in demand.

Have to second that. Here in Northern California (I commute between
Silicon Valley and Sacramento) I have no problems finding the latest
and greatest games on release day. EB, Fry's and BB all seem to fight
it out to have them on the shelves bright and early Tuesday morning.

Clay-
--
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking,
bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right
Matt McLeod wrote:
> Trimble Bracegirdle <NOspam@spam.not> wrote:
>> Most people here seem to be in North America or UK & some other west
>> Euro....I would like to know if the situation with decreasing PC games
>> availabilty and sales is same-as right around the world ???
>> I would guess that a games sales success  (and there for future releases) is
>> down to overall/world wide sales ..
>
> "Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
> small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
> occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
> with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.

That's true, but the other 4/5ths of wallspace is divided up
among 4 or so consoles, so the PC games aren't really
under-represented. There also is more variety among the
types of PC games compared to console games.

Having said that, EB does stock only a small fraction of PC
games actually published, and that, for me, is the
frustrating part.

Stupot
Stuart Chapman <ten.no.edonretni@nampahc.trauts> wrote:
> Matt McLeod wrote:
>> "Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
>> small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
>> occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
>> with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.
>
> That's true, but the other 4/5ths of wallspace is divided up
> among 4 or so consoles, so the PC games aren't really
> under-represented. There also is more variety among the
> types of PC games compared to console games.

True enough, it's more an issue that they've got it all in
a very small space so there's no room to move.  The store
nearest me is really very very tiny, merely browsing is
quite an adventure.

I have pretty clear memories of trundling down to the local
Computer Spot to buy stuff for my C64 and having a much easier
time of things, obstacle-course-wise.

Matt

0
matt118 (6)
4/19/2006 9:50:07 AM
"Matt McLeod" <matt@boggle.org> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Stuart Chapman <ten.no.edonretni@nampahc.trauts> wrote:
> > Matt McLeod wrote:
> >> "Bricks and mortar" game stores here in Australia tend to be very
> >> small and cramped, mostly stocking console stuff.  The one I
> >> occasionally visit (an EBgames) has about 1/5th of its wallspace
> >> with PC games, the rest (plus floorspace) is console stuff.
> >
> > That's true, but the other 4/5ths of wallspace is divided up
> > among 4 or so consoles, so the PC games aren't really
> > under-represented. There also is more variety among the
> > types of PC games compared to console games.
>
> True enough, it's more an issue that they've got it all in
> a very small space so there's no room to move.  The store
> nearest me is really very very tiny, merely browsing is
> quite an adventure.
>
> I have pretty clear memories of trundling down to the local
> Computer Spot to buy stuff for my C64 and having a much easier
> time of things, obstacle-course-wise.
>
> Matt

OTOH, we might have been slightly leaner and more supple, at the time...

Alfredo

0
MI0307 (2)
4/19/2006 10:33:27 AM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 GMT, Kyle Rodgers <sdes@aol.com> wrote:
 :  I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
 :  release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
 :  week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
 :  games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
 :  13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Same at my EB in Florida.  I asked about the "disappeared" PC display
for just released games and the sales guy said it was history, they're
cutting way back on PC titles.
0
hgoldste (60)
4/19/2006 1:52:41 PM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:55:50 GMT, "jwb"
<jwb3333take--me-out@excite.com> wrote:

>Yes. Tracking an anticipated game from going gold and shipping is largely an
>exercise in frustration. Best Buy always has it a week "late" (from my
>perspective),

BB has gotten very good lately , at least with big sellers. The one in
my town actually had Oblivion in before the game stores and had enough
for everyone not the one or two the game store get in.

With lesser known titles though it does take longer.
0
me5057 (128)
4/19/2006 3:47:20 PM
Nonymous, do you mean Godfather released for the regular XBox?  As far
as I know, Godfather hasn't been released for the 360 yet.

- Richard Hutnik

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 GMT, "Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote:

>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Why did you not pre-order through your local EB ? Saves shipping
costs.

They seem to do fine on PC pre-orders. Had my pre-ordered PC CE
version of Oblivion morning of release day ( March 21). By noon all
the extra shelf stock of all PC versions and the CE for the Xbox360
had sold out everywhere locally - EB, Babbage's,  CompUSA

John Lewis

0
john.dsl (3470)
4/19/2006 6:59:00 PM
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:38:07 GMT, "Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote:

>I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Similar thing in South Africa.  The one of the two major chains
prominently displays it's PS2 stuff, but hides the PC games away.

Lynley
Kyle Rodgers wrote:

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
want/need to play the game the day it's released?

Is it just bragging rights? ("I played it before any of my friends.")

I've observed that the marketing hypsters in the game and movie biz want
you to do just that -- slap down your cash immediately before anyone can
warn you about how good/bad something really is. They hype it up with
ads or "unbiased" gaming mag reviews, collect cash from the early birds,
and laugh all the way to the bank before the complaints and criticisms
appear.

Personally I prefer to wait for version 1.1 or 1.4 when they fix it,
when the game is half the issue price, and when my computer can handle
the system requirements with no problems whatsoever.

  - Sheldon, who likes what he's seen of the new TR graphics but will
wait
Kyle Rodgers schrieb:

> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.

Here in Germany it's no problem finding the latest games in the local
stores, even in smaller cities. I also can't see PC games being pushed
back in favour of console games, the amount of PC games in shops is
around the same as it has been before...

Benjamin
0
bgawert (1322)
4/21/2006 7:09:54 AM
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:15:29 GMT, Sheldon England
<sheldonegland@netscape.net> wrote:

>  - Sheldon, who likes what he's seen of the new TR graphics but will
>wait

.... until the price is less than $14.99 for me. Apparently much twitch
and little brains are required to play Legends -- pity.. since the
opportunity with Tomb Raider of doing a true cross-genre
adventure/action is enormous.

John Lewis

0
john.dsl (3470)
4/21/2006 4:49:29 PM
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:09:54 +0200, Benjamin Gawert <bgawert@gmx.de>
wrote:

>Kyle Rodgers schrieb:
>
>> I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC
>> release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a
>> week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC
>> games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the
>> 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town.
>
>Here in Germany it's no problem finding the latest games in the local
>stores, even in smaller cities. I also can't see PC games being pushed
>back in favour of console games, the amount of PC games in shops is
>around the same as it has been before...

Ah, but you are not in the fad-driven environment of the great US of
A. Some of us have seen the (er) great (er) console-revolutions ebb
and flow through many cycles. We are in the middle of one right now,
but some people might just catch on after they buy their 3rd or 4th
update-version of the Xbox360, each at a higher price than the last,
that the stack of junk consoles in their garage might not have been
such a wise investment after all.

John Lewis

>Benjamin

0
john.dsl (3470)
4/21/2006 4:54:52 PM
John Lewis schrieb:

>> Here in Germany it's no problem finding the latest games in the local
>> stores, even in smaller cities. I also can't see PC games being pushed
>> back in favour of console games, the amount of PC games in shops is
>> around the same as it has been before...
>>

> Ah, but you are not in the fad-driven environment of the great US of
> A. Some of us have seen the (er) great (er) console-revolutions ebb
> and flow through many cycles. We are in the middle of one right now,
> but some people might just catch on after they buy their 3rd or 4th
> update-version of the Xbox360, each at a higher price than the last,
> that the stack of junk consoles in their garage might not have been
> such a wise investment after all.

Well, I'm quite often in the US (CA/Bay Area). I think the US is a
completely different market than Europe (or Germany). For example, in
stores like Fry's, Best Buy etc. the majority of computers offered are
more or less basic systems (Celerons) with shared memory gfx and
astonishing small RAM config. It looks like there is a huge market for
such home computers for basic tasks in the US. In Germany you won't find
much PCs with shared memory gfx in the stores. Even basic home computers
come with a "real" gfx card of some sort, only some few really
ultra-cheapo computers have chipset gfx. Of course there also are Dell
Optiplex and such which also have shared memory gfx but these systems
are targeted at business users.

I'm sure there are much more market differences...

Benjamin
0
bgawert (1322)
4/21/2006 6:31:57 PM
Sheldon England <sheldonegland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:

> Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
> want/need to play the game the day it's released?
>
> Is it just bragging rights? ("I played it before any of my friends.")
>
> I've observed that the marketing hypsters in the game and movie biz want
> you to do just that -- slap down your cash immediately before anyone can
> warn you about how good/bad something really is. They hype it up with
> ads or "unbiased" gaming mag reviews, collect cash from the early birds,
> and laugh all the way to the bank before the complaints and criticisms
> appear.
>
> Personally I prefer to wait for version 1.1 or 1.4 when they fix it,
> when the game is half the issue price, and when my computer can handle
> the system requirements with no problems whatsoever.

I rarely buy a game when it first releases for the reasons you state.
But I can understand why people do it. It's exciting to experience the
game along with a bunch of other people, to share that comraderie,
and especially in the case of an online game, to experience it when
everyone is (nearly) on equal footing rather than after the pros have
master it and can pwn all comers. Even in non-competitive online games,
like WoW, experiencing the game when it is brand new is an experience
not to be missed, because you are the pioneers of that game world, and
you and your peers will dictate the entire ambiance and mood of that
particular server. Not to mention you'll experience a fresh economy,
not one that has been warped by gold farmers and a super-top-heavy
citizenship.

Even in offline games like Oblivion it is exciting to share your
experiences with lots of other people enjoying it on web forums, usenet, or
wherever. Getting your friends to all get it at the same time too can make
it more fun for everyone.

But certainly there are major advantages to waiting. Getting the expansions
as part of a package deal. Patches. Lower price. Real reviews. Etc.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
knight37m (765)
4/22/2006 1:34:55 AM
"Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sheldon England <sheldonegland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
>> want/need to play the game the day it's released?
>>
>> Is it just bragging rights? ("I played it before any of my friends.")
>>
>> I've observed that the marketing hypsters in the game and movie biz want
>> you to do just that -- slap down your cash immediately before anyone can
>> warn you about how good/bad something really is. They hype it up with
>> ads or "unbiased" gaming mag reviews, collect cash from the early birds,
>> and laugh all the way to the bank before the complaints and criticisms
>> appear.
>>
>> Personally I prefer to wait for version 1.1 or 1.4 when they fix it,
>> when the game is half the issue price, and when my computer can handle
>> the system requirements with no problems whatsoever.
>
> I rarely buy a game when it first releases for the reasons you state.
> But I can understand why people do it. It's exciting to experience the
> game along with a bunch of other people, to share that comraderie,
> and especially in the case of an online game, to experience it when
> everyone is (nearly) on equal footing rather than after the pros have
> master it and can pwn all comers. Even in non-competitive online games,
> like WoW, experiencing the game when it is brand new is an experience
> not to be missed, because you are the pioneers of that game world, and
> you and your peers will dictate the entire ambiance and mood of that
> particular server. Not to mention you'll experience a fresh economy,
> not one that has been warped by gold farmers and a super-top-heavy
> citizenship.
>
> Even in offline games like Oblivion it is exciting to share your
> experiences with lots of other people enjoying it on web forums, usenet,
> or
> wherever. Getting your friends to all get it at the same time too can make
> it more fun for everyone.
>
> But certainly there are major advantages to waiting. Getting the
> expansions
> as part of a package deal. Patches. Lower price. Real reviews. Etc.
>

> --
>
> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
>
> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Very true!  In addition, it doesn't seems like a rush to get it to me.  As
with many games, we wait YEARS for it's release.  We knew Dreamfall was
coming almost 3 years ago. So for me, instead of a rush, it's more like,
"It's about time!"  :)  I will say, it's not like that for all the new
releases, though.

0
Annie
4/23/2006 5:47:16 PM
Knight37 wrote:

> Sheldon England <sheldonegland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:
>
> > Not criticizing but just curious: what's the rush? Why do people
> > want/need to play the game the day it's released?
>
> I rarely buy a game when it first releases for the reasons you state.
> But I can understand why people do it. It's exciting to experience the
> game along with a bunch of other people, to share that comraderie,
> and especially in the case of an online game, to experience it when
> everyone is (nearly) on equal footing rather than after the pros have
> master it and can pwn all comers. Even in non-competitive online games,
> like WoW, experiencing the game when it is brand new is an experience
> not to be missed, because you are the pioneers of that game world, and
> you and your peers will dictate the entire ambiance and mood of that
> particular server. Not to mention you'll experience a fresh economy,
> not one that has been warped by gold farmers and a super-top-heavy
> citizenship.

Yeah, I recall playing a MMORPG that was always struggling to bring in
new blood but it was difficult because the majority of the player base
(who were early to sign up) had "been there and done that" -- turned out
the majority of the newbies were just optimized oldies in disguise. I
guess that's an example of the need for being first.

> Even in offline games like Oblivion it is exciting to share your
> experiences with lots of other people enjoying it on web forums, usenet, or
> wherever. Getting your friends to all get it at the same time too can make
> it more fun for everyone.

Again, when it's new and unknown to all players that makes sense.

> But certainly there are major advantages to waiting. Getting the expansions
> as part of a package deal. Patches. Lower price. Real reviews. Etc.

And not getting burned by purchasing a dud.  ;)

I guess I'm just getting old. Once I was Beta Man with the newest,
latest and greatest of all software. Now every required upgrade or new
version makes me cringe with the knowledge that I will never use any of
the amazing new 8374 features -- and that whatever updates I do will
only lead to 5000 other patches being required.

If it ain't broke ...

  - Sheldon, no longer a pioneer

Re: Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores?
Trimble Bracegirdle" <NOspam@spam.not> wrote in message news:444547da_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com... > Noticed this sort of pushing the PC to smaller further-back shelves in most > UK stores for a year or 2 ..can only get worse ;) So far, my local EB haven't pushed PC games further back in stores.PC games are in the same place as they always were, but take up a lot less shelves and space on the wall than they used to. Other shelves are taken up with Xbox, play station, etc. I saw Keepsake and Scratches in EB yesterday and will look soon to see if they have Dreamfall and Paradise. I'm in Toronto, Canada. Mary *** Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com *** ...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

Anyone care to get me pumped up to drop $1500+ for a new PC rig? I have been out of PC gaming a long time.
I have been out of PC gaming for forever. I mean the last PC related thing I bought (outside of maybe Oasis, which I haven't played) is the Civ 4 expansion. I used to post a lot on PC gaming newsgroups, particularly strategic, but I am way out of it. So much out of it, that seeing Sid Meiers Railroads on the shelves was a shock. Mostly I have limited myself to XBox 360 stuff, and Arcade downloads. Yes, I am out of it. Anyhow, can people here get me pumped up as to what is coming out worth dropping $1500+ to get a new rig for? Thank you for your time... - Rich On 30 Dec 2006 17:56:45 -0800, getrich@1upandup.com wrote: >I have been out of PC gaming for forever. I mean the last PC related >thing I bought (outside of maybe Oasis, which I haven't played) is the >Civ 4 expansion. > >I used to post a lot on PC gaming newsgroups, particularly strategic, >but I am way out of it. So much out of it, that seeing Sid Meiers >Railroads on the shelves was a shock. Mostly I have limited myself to >XBox 360 stuff, and Arcade downloads. Yes, I am out of it. > >Anyhow, can people here get me pumped up as to what is coming out worth >dropping $1500+ to get a new rig for? > >Thank you for your time... >- Rich Some games are just not available on XBox360 (Dark Messiah, Flight Simulator X, Civilization IV, Counterstrike:Source) and those games available on both platforms (Rainbow Six Vegas, Oblivion, etc) are usually infinitely better...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

PROTOTYPE
Out for Xbox 360 & PS3 also... good (not VERY good) reviews there. PC version out today .'THEY' describe ."Action Adventure." Link to reviews ; http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/prototype?q=prototype No sign of a Demo .. Looks like (say) Multi special talents Spiderman ....wide open roaming design.. .......a shapeshifter with amazing powers ,,,,. Consume targets for their form and memories to assume a perfect disguise, .... transform your body into an array of deadly biological weapons, ....... Stalk ....New York City,... searching for the life you lead ...

pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however...
It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with better graphics on the PC and with better control. The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I suppose with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to maintain momentum).. The PS3 has failed, plain and simple. Defeat conceded here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html "Reap The Wild Wind" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:c82h735vd5kpmdenh7npirht49cfhjj3lu@4ax.com... > It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. > > The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current > gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the > coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with > better graphics on the PC and with better control. You're leaving out just about every single sports game. The only action sports games for the PC are Madden, NBA and NHL (well, soccer, too, but I don't count that). PC doesn't even have a baseball game anymore, except for text sims. Plus, the XBox 360 still has titles like Gears of War, Dead Rising and the coming Halo 3 that w...

FA PC game new inbox XIII conspiecy action 4cds never used.$7.
For Auction: The Middle Ages Hallam Vol. II Book The World's Great Classics. This is a nice older book about the Middle Ages copyright 1899. It is Illustrated with nearly two hundard photographs, etchings, colored plates and full page portraits of great authors. Clarence Cook is the Art Editor of the book by Henry Hallam. It is the revised edition volume II. Some of the pages are not finished being ripped open to read them. It is in very good condition and will add to your collection. Good Luck! Goto http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4519203825 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx goto http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl 4520590215 $5.50 Green Darkness by Anya Seton (1972) 5551885951 $10.00 7 piece Jean-Michelle Collectlion+ free gift Available 5551887978 $8.00 Magical Signs and Symbols+freegift 4351650269 $9.99 DEAN & DELUCA Chile Seasonings+freegifts No 4521102360 $1.00 Whales by Anne Collet, Yves Cohat 4521335261 $9.99 Photo book of Afghanistan+freegifts 6944275469 42 $14.00 The Middle Ages by Hallam1899vg+freegifts 4522083090 $2.99 The Prophet Ezekiel by Arno Clemens Gaebelein +freegift 4352477704 $6.00 Universal Grill Care Regulator NIB+freegift 6148912858 $10.00 Cigar Humidor Genuine Walnut LN condition. 4522252302 $3.99 Top Secret Information the Government, Banks, and Re... 4522285652 $4.00 Network Marketing + freegifts No Bids Yet 4522293216 $3.00 Thus Spake Zarathustra by...

My new gaming PC
Well, all the parts arrived today, and this is what I ended up with: Aspire 550W power Asus A8R-MVP motherboard WD1500ADFD 150GB Raptor 10000 RPM HDD 2GB of Corsair DDR memory Dual ATI X1900XTX 512MB in Crossfire mode Price: $3,289 It's kickass. :) -- Sandman[.net] Edwin, on protecting against malware: "I use Avast AV, the Yahoo anti-spy toolbar, the MS anti-spy software, Windows SP2 with its firewall, AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpywareBlaster." "Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message news:mr-3EA2F3.10170317022006@individual.net... > Well, all the parts arrived today, and this is what I ended up with: > > Aspire 550W power > Asus A8R-MVP motherboard > WD1500ADFD 150GB Raptor 10000 RPM HDD > 2GB of Corsair DDR memory > Dual ATI X1900XTX 512MB in Crossfire mode > > Price: $3,289 Nice rig. A little skimpy on the storage side what with a single drive. Why not opt for nVidia vids since they offer similar performance, and much better DVD playback? And why is this on a Mac advocacy forum? > > It's kickass. :) > > > > -- > Sandman[.net] > > Edwin, on protecting against malware: > "I use Avast AV, the Yahoo anti-spy toolbar, the MS > anti-spy software, Windows SP2 with its firewall, > AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpywareBlaster." In article <XpmdnZoLOMWMB2jeRVn-jQ@comcast.com>, "Johnny Lee" <johnl...

Auction: 640K RAM CARD Memory expansion for IBM PC , IBM PC/XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/640K-RAM-CARD-Memory-expansion-for-IBM-PC-IBM-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ8764134178QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Feb-16-06 15:46:57 PST 3 available ...

Popular PC Game Sequels No Longer on PC?
Just was perusing Gamespot.com and reailzed that two game series that I am quite fond of, Rainbow Six and Call of Duty have sequels that look like they won't be available for the PC? Rainbow Six Las Vegas so far looks like it is for X360 and PS3 only. Call of Duty 3 is slated for, get this, the XBOX, X360, PS2, and PS3 but NOT for PC? WTF is up with that? If it out for the antiquated XBOX and PS2, why not the PC? Just wondering what other titles in the future that will be hot sellers or sequels that won't be released for a PC? I'm not object to consoles, I just prefer PC games. One big reason is that I can't stand the controllers for any of the consoles, not to mention that I can update my PC to get better framerates and improved graphics if I decide to do so. Boo to Activision and Ubisoft for this decision... Get used to it. "HockeyTownUSA" <cyberpilot@gmail.com> wrote in message news:VtadnU8WAY6JqkPZnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@comcast.com... > Just was perusing Gamespot.com and reailzed that two game series that I am > quite fond of, Rainbow Six and Call of Duty have sequels that look like they > won't be available for the PC? > > Rainbow Six Las Vegas so far looks like it is for X360 and PS3 only. > > Call of Duty 3 is slated for, get this, the XBOX, X360, PS2, and PS3 but NOT > for PC? WTF is up with that? If it out for the antiquated XBOX and PS2, why > not the PC? > > Just wondering what other ti...

Looking for XENIX or PC/IX for IBM PC.
Hello, I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the booting process and operating system in general. Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well. Thanks. Luc rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote: > I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS > for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the > booting process and operating system in general. You might also be interested in Coherent Unix, which is freely available today - e.g., at http://www.tliquest.net/unix/Other/Coherent/ Kernel source is also available. In addition, Bill and Lynne Jolitz' "Porting Unix to the 386" article series in Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1066/ddj9101a/9101a.htm) might be interesting since it contained many details on the booting process and x86 protected mode transition. Michael -- Michael Engel - engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de Philipps-Universitaet Marburg - FB Mathematik und Informatik Hans-Meerwein-Str. - 35032 Marburg Tel. 06421 / 28 21562 - Fax: 06421 / 28 21573 I've got a set of disks of Xenix i286 2.3.2. Email me if you are interested. Please it's close source, don't distribute, I've paid for it ;). Coherent don't work if you have less 4MB RAM or Phoenix Bios too old. So its author...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FA Pc game nib $5. homeland2 award winner + also pc game XIII nib #2
Goto http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl Its fixed price listing for a dime only so you won't see me doing these kinds of prices very often at all if ever.... 6959715837 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:15:52 $9.99 The Works of Voltaire hb old No Bids Yet 6959716665 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:22:15 $9.99 THE STORY OF MANKIND by H. Van Loon 1923freegift No Bids Yet 6959718551 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:36:22 $9.99 Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Pure Woman No Bids Yet 8304572154 May-07-05 May-14-05 12:10:12 $9.99 Leather Jacket VG authentic No Bids Yet 577...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FS:Serious Sam 2 (PC)<Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2K6(PC)<Half Life 2 (PC)
Selling Serious Sam 2 (PC),Half Life 2 (PC) and Cabela�s Big Game Hunter 2006 (PC)�all CDs and all materials in boxes as they came originally. Opened boxes on both,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs whatsoever. Serious Sam 2 is brand new, in stores not for $20;I�d sell it for $13 delivered (not a bad deal considering it costs a couple of bucks to ship these games). BGH 2006 is also brand new,in stores now for $20,I'd sell it for $11 delivered including safe,secure S/H). HL2 is about a year old and yes,you'll have to deal with the Steam Apps stuff (read online if you dont already know) to install it,but this great game (voted 2004's game of the year by a few publications)I'd sell for $15 delivered�.it was a $50 when it came out a year ago/ I would accept a check or money order (U.S only,please) for either...no cash,please,unless I've dealt with you previously. I've sold dozens of my games online through this NG before (some of you will hopefully remember me),but since EB started taking trade-ins a while ago,I stopped. EB Games doesn't allow trade-in for PC games anymore,so I'll be posting my games for sale again when I'm done with them. Thanks for any interest. Please email me at DOHH@aol.com ...

[News] New Linux Kernel RC; PC-BSD Has New Release (1.4)
2.6.23-rc8, "Getting Close" ,----[ quote ] | "Ok, I think I'm getting close to releasing a real 2.6.23," began Linus | Torvalds in his release announcement for the eighth release candidate of the | upcoming 2.6.23 kernel. "Things seem to have calmed down, and I think Thomas | Gleixner may have found the suspend/resume regression that has dogged us for | a while, so I'm feeling happy about things." `---- http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.23-rc8_Getting_Close Some nice changes in kerneltrap: KernelTrap Mailing List Archives http://kerneltrap.org/...

IBM gets out of PC business
December 3, 2004 New York - International Business Machines Corp has put its computer business up for sale, the New York Times said Friday, quoting people close to negotiations. The sale, likely to be in the one-two billion dollar range, is expected to include the entire range of desktop, laptop and notebook computers made by IBM. The company is in serious discussions with Lenovo, China's largest maker of personal computers, and at least one other potential buyer for the unit, the newspaper's sources said. IBM declined to comment. Lenovo was formerly known as Lege...

Getting a new RiscOS PC?
Hi all, I was just browsing the Iyonix website and there do not seem to be any computers for sale there. Is it still possible to buy a new RiscOS computer? Johann -- who has no immediate plans to buy one, it's just a long term wish. P.S. Apolagies if this is the wrong group to ask. Unfortunately, Castle ceased production in 2008: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.acorn.announce/browse_thread/thread/81c090cf7044c893/de5682774f2bc2e2 But there are other options, including: - the A9; - RISCube, RISCBook (RISC OS emulation); - secondhand Iyonix or RiscPC (either from a ...

Virtual PC now free but is it good for PC Games?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/downloads/sp1.mspx MS Virtual PC 2004 is now free but is it good for PC Games? Does it run well old DOS Games? with sound and all? On 15 Jul 2006 01:38:50 -0700, "pc games" <pcgamer23708@yahoo.com> wrote: >http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/downloads/sp1.mspx > >MS Virtual PC 2004 is now free but is it good for PC Games? >Does it run well old DOS Games? with sound and all? caveat: I haven't tried the latest free version While VirtualPC usually *can* play DOS games -with sound and all-, in my experience it...

New games PC, but where do I start?
Can anyone recommend what components to choose for a new games PC? I'm looking to get a top-spec machine, but not *the* best machine ever built as my budget is perhaps one maybe two notches below max. Thanks, regards, Robert. Dot Net Developer wrote: > Can anyone recommend what components to choose for a new games PC? > I'm looking to get a top-spec machine, but not *the* best machine ever > built as my budget is perhaps one maybe two notches below max. > > Thanks, regards, Robert. Make sure it has a CPU. Some people recommend a video card, but that's optional. Keyboards are for elite bastards. FoolsGold wrote: > Dot Net Developer wrote: >> Can anyone recommend what components to choose for a new games PC? >> I'm looking to get a top-spec machine, but not *the* best machine ever >> built as my budget is perhaps one maybe two notches below max. >> >> Thanks, regards, Robert. > > Make sure it has a CPU. Some people recommend a video card, but that's > optional. Keyboards are for elite bastards. I like those that come with mice. Really useful things. Trouble with them is that generally you'll need a monitor as well ;-) To the OP. Last months PC Gamer built a pretty good gaming PC. I'll dig it out before the end of the weekend and post the specs they used On 27 Oct, 13:42, Shawk <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote: > Last months PC Gamer built a pretty good gaming ...

Just Ordered my new PC do you think its a decent pc :)
Abit NF7-S Revision 2 Mobile Barton 2500 going to overclock to atleast 2.5ghz. Hitachi 120 GB SATA Harddisk. 1024 Corsair TwinX 3200LL ram :) Coupled with the Radeon 9600 Pro i have and the Audidgy 2 ZS. Might get a Radeon 9800 Pro Extream Core 400, Memmory 700, just would like to play Farcry at full deatil and have exellent FPS, not too much to ask ill see how it gos with my 9600 Pro. Well what do you lot think. And yes i know i cross posted this to many groups if i did not i would not be me now would i :) And thanks for all the people who helped me, even the ones who hate me now and...

netsync PC to PC?
Hi, apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more than a decade... I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as recommended by palm for my palm pilot). My palm pilot, however, is too old to install the corresponding version. It runs on some older version but communication with the PCs is ok. Now, the desktop 4.1.4 has more data fields (e.g. in Adressbook) than the handheld. I can't therefore, use the handheld anymore to synchronize these additional fiel...

Web resources about - Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores? - comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Press Release Rocket - News and Current Events
By Toi Williams on December 24, 2014 Workers at more than 1,400 Walmart stores across the nation are set to see their pay rise next year as ...

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Usage of the "alpha/beta" test terminology originated at IBM. As long ago as the 1950s (and probably earlier), IBM used similar terminology for ...

Father releases unseen photos showing Darcy Atkinson sustained horrific bruising - DailyTelegraph Search ...
SHOCKING new photos have emerged showing the extent of a Central Coast toddler’s injuries before he died from a brain injury three years ago. ...

Apple releases OS X 10.11.4 beta 7 with Messages & Notes improvements, more
In addition to releasing the seventh beta of iOS 9.3 yesterday, Apple today has released OS X 10.11.4 beta 7 to developers and public beta testers. ...

VRScore: Crytek and Basemark Announce New Benchmark Release
Virtual Reality has definitely been playing the slow and steady race for a while now. Thankfully, with the approach of consumer VR headsets going ...

Western Digital releases affordable WD PiDrive 314GB HDD for Raspberry Pi
The Raspberry Pi line of computers are so much fun. By utilizing an OS-loaded memory card, it is easy to get started, making it a great project ...

PlayStation VR price and release date officially unveiled at GDC 2016
Taking the stage for a press event at GDC 2016 on Tuesday, Sony finally unveiled the price and release date for the PlayStation VR headset — ...

Jaye Bartell shares "Laundry Line" off new LP, playing NYC release party w/ Ryley Walker before tour ...
It's another lovely, sad song off Bartell's upcoming 'Light Enough.' He'll be touring with Kevin Morby later this year.

ClipperCreek Releases LCS-30 EVSE, A 24 Amp Level 2 Charging Station For $499
Originally published on EV Obsession. ClipperCreek has released a new 24 Amp Level 2 electric vehicle charging station, one that provides 5.8 ...

Oklahoma City police set to release McClendon crash report
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma City police are holding a news conference to discuss the death of Chesapeake Energy founder Aubrey McClendon, whose ...